• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball : Why Buu saga is the least popular ?

bitbydeath

On the contrary it has some of the best moments in DBZ.

fINJn.gif

Dekmental

Banned
It wasnt focused at all, goten and trunks were awful, gohan was terrble, goku was arrogant the whole way. The plot was terrible and the writing got worse.

TBH i havent enjoyed much in dragonball after the namek arc. That was the peak.

Violet_0

Banned
I just got very tired of the DBZ formula at this point, as a kid
I don't know how you all can still watch this show and why it's so beloved

Ash735

On the contrary it has some of the best moments in DBZ.
And then completely undermines the next episode and then further undermines it later on. Just like the Buu Saga undermines Mystic Gohan, etc.

It's basically the DBZ version of "LOOK AT ALL THIS COOL SHIT THAT DOESN'T MATTER".

emb

Well, part of it for me was just the timing. Some time during it, it feels like Toonami stopped showing new episodes for a little while, and I was starting to get more into other hobbies anyway. Between all that, I kinda dropped the habit of watching TV as consistently. Never stopped liking Dragonball, but at some point it became not important enough to keep up with constantly. So I have less nostalgia for all that since I didn't go back and watch most of it until later.

The other factor that sticks out for me, is the lack of lead up to Majin Buu in general. The Saiyans show up, explain why Goku is so weird and why he had a tail, allude to Frieza who turns out to have a very intertwined backstory with the Saiyan race. It ends up with the first major arc(s) feeling very cohesive. Then Cell saga had the loose callback to the RR army, but more importantly made good on all the foreshadowing to Gohan being super strong throughout Z. Buu just, out of nowhere gets introduced as this ancient evil that was always asleep in the Earth for some reason, or something.

Not that I don't like the Buu saga. It's biggest flaw shared with the whole series (lots of pointless or annoying things going on), and it introduced a lot of cool stuff. Kid Buu is a good villain too.

Skeeter49

I like Buuhan.
I like Fat Buu

Super Buu and Kid Buu are meh. Buutenks made a lot of stupid mistakes for having Piccolo inside him. Though Kid Buu did have the highest stakes since he gave no fucks.

blakep267

- Gohan got nerfed

- Buu was just stupid tbh. Only when he became kid buu was he not a joke but he still paled to Cell and Frieza

- Super saiyan 3 looked stupid. No eyebrows.

- Goten and trunks were annoying as hell

- the tournament wasn't even a thing. No satisfaction there

- Vegeta didn't get enough screen time

- Vegito lasted for like 5 minutes

- Ended with Goku doing a spirit bomb, once again

Cell was a fine ending, Buu was made because fanboys wanted one more arc where Goku beats the big bad. The purpose itself of the arc is enough to make the formalists fume. It was still fine and had some of the most memorable moments in the series, mostly the non-fighting parts such as Gohan in high school and Satan befriending Buu

Triple Dash

Neo Member
It's probably my favorite, as it was airing right when my family got Cartoon Network for the first time and had ads in Nintendo Power magazine. Having watched the rest of the series after it was kind of underwhelming.

Reset

Holy shit there are bad opinions and then there are BAD opinions.

Original DB doesn't get good until Goku starts training with Roshi.

First arc was mainly just setting up characters and not much else, still far better than GT though, lets just pretend it doesn't exist.

Baby arc is better than the first arc and the RR arc. Shadow Dragon arc is better than the RR arc.
GT is even better than Super, I feel as if it gets all this hate because people quit after the first arc of GT or just joined the hate bandwagon without even watching it.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That's an interesting point of view, it's true that Gohan is highly regarded by anime Watchers of Z. Though I still find it hard to believe that Goku didn't have the time to get the fighters, at this point of the story, hé is fast enough to get them, heck, he could even instant transmission to them

At that moment, he was trying to multitask instead of doing it in a sequential way. He flew to Gohan while trying to sense a ki and locate a outside of Earth to teleport to at the same time, instead of teleporting to Gohan, then start trying to sense a ki for find a place to teleport to. Either way, there wasn't any time for him to think.

Regardless, its still wrong to say he intentionally skipped over Gohan for Mr Satan.

I find it weird how people also think the entire series is build around Gohan becoming a hero. Those foreshadowing about Gohan having potential were just the author leaving openings which they can revisit, while making things on the spot in the mid term.

Bui was never intended to be a deep character. He's a killing machine thats out of control, unpredictable and make no hesitation in killing. While Goku spared Frieza and participate in Cell's game, Buu makes everyone shiver in fear and hiding, just like Goku Black in Super.

Hydrus

Buu saga had a lot of great ideas that ended up going nowhere:

+ The Majin Vegeta stuff and Vegeta's personality coming full circle, that eventually leads to his heroic death.
- Buu doesnt die and Vegeta doesn't get to be the hero who saves the world for once.

+ SS3 Goku has one of the best transformations in the series.
- SS3 Goku doesnt do shit, then goes back to the after life.

+ Goten & Trunks fuse to make Gotenks, a badass fused character that could of destroyed Buu and made them the new hero's of DBZ.
- They don't do shit and end up getting absorbed.

+ Mystic Gohan. The arc spends most of the time building Gohan up as the strongest and the one who will ultimately save the day.
- Mystic Gohan gets absorbed and doesn't do shit the rest of the series.

+ Goku and Vegeta fuse to make the most powerful character in the series and proceeds to fuck shit up. Another opportunity to end the saga.
- They get adsorbed, and then unfuse due to some shit plot device about buu's insides unfusing them.. The fusion accomplishes nothing. Goes to waste.

-In the end, Goku beats kid buu with a spirit bomb and saves the day again.

LotusHD

Banned
Original DB doesn't get good until Goku starts training with Roshi.

Baby arc is better than the first arc and the RR arc. Shadow Dragon arc is better than the RR arc.
GT is even better than Super, I feel as if it gets all this hate because people quit after the first arc of GT or just joined the hate bandwagon without even watching it.

It gets hate because of its quality lol

bitbydeath

I don't agree, I've watched GT twice and it just doesn't stand-up in story nor quality, haven't watched Super yet so can't comment on that. Red Ribbon was fantastic though, strongly disagree there.

Mabase

You guys are all crazy. Buu was great, and a return to some OG DB kind of stuff, yes including some humour and more focus on mechanics and techniques in the fights instead of just "POWER LEVELSSSSSSZZ!"
I love all of DB but both Namek and Cell arcs took themselves a bit too seriously.

Yes, it was a bit underwhelming that Mystic Gohan didn't get enough time in the spotlight, and that it fizzled out a bit too quickly - but much more importantly in this arc, Gohan finally became a person instead of just being the puppet of his father.

Him being in that conflicting spot between the mighty superhero that saved the earth before, being called the successor of the late Goku, and on the other side just wanting to have a normal life again/in the first place is great!
Struggling to get back to his previous level of ability is such a great, unseen aspect of the martial arts life the characters in DB lead - Gohan has no innate drive to fight, he doesn't have the saiyan excitement of Vegeta and Goku, or the childish joy of Trunks and Goten. When he fights he does it out of responsibility, which makes it hard for him to be instinctively, intrinsically motivated when he doesn't have to. And then when he has to fight, he has a hard time getting up to speed.
Which makes him less badass but a more interesting character.

Vegeta's redemption is another great thing about the whole arc, and makes it such a fitting end to the whole series. His final speech during the kid buu fight is so satisfying after the preceding years of competition with Kakarott.

Also it's not Goku's Genkidama that kills Kid Buu, it's actually more Mr. Satan's.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
We thought Gohan was the main protagonist because up until he was absorbed by Buucolo, he was pushed as the main protagonist for that arc. Everyone hyped him up, and the only one tearing him down was Vegeta. His time as GS, him fighting Dabura, him stopping Buu and failing, Shin saving his life when Buu fires that blast at him, him pulling the Z sword, him using the Z sword, him breaking the Z sword and a Kai comes out who awakens his hidden potential. There is barely an episode in the Buu arc that wasn't hyping up Gohan in some way.

This is pretty much it. The arc literally undercuts itself during what should be it's biggest moment, it's final climax, for literally no reason other than to become the Goku and Vegeta show. Everything after Gohan goes back to Earth and starts fighting Buu makes no narrative sense whatsoever.

That's essentially why no one likes the arc, because the arc is literally a hot mess that shits it's own pants at the worst possible moment.

Galang

Banned
It dragged a bit too long, but it was good overall. Should have just ended with Mystic Gohan and left Goku on the sidelines. Super sick of Goku and almost every episode of super is a huge reminder why

kunonabi

Yeah, its the weakest. The opening saiyaman and tournament stuff was far more interesting than the actual Buu storyline. Kid Buu was super dull and tossing Gohan into the trash just to end things with another spirit bomb from goku felt like a big waste of everything the show had been building to.

Buu Saga has some great moments and overall it's enjoyable, but as a whole I think you can see why Toriyama decided to end the series after it.

I think it's biggest weakness is that while Toriyama claims that he was writing by the seat of his pants throughout the whole series, I feel it was especially obvious here. He was constantly changing who the main hero of the saga was. You can tell he really wanted to write off Goku and Vegeta and focus on the younger characters, but it simply wasn't working out and he had to resort to just having Goku finish off Buu with an attack he's had since the Saiyan Saga.

I thought the Buu character design was very cool and interesting, and sort of appreciated how it went from sci-fi villains (an insanely powerful alien, and then a cyborg) to what is basically Toriyama's version of what's literally an unbottled genie, as if Jafar migrated over from Didney's Alladin. As funny as this sounds, the previous villains were at least 1% grounded in a kind of reality in the vaguest sense of the term, but there's something truly nightmarish about fighting a magical being. The dude could regenerate even faster than Cell with his Namekian shit.

But I agree with everything the detractors already said, and I generally choose to ignore everything after Frieza. I don't know if I'm in the minority on this, but I truly thought the Frieza saga was the height of everything Dragonball. I know the purists swear by OG, but I stand by my current opinion based on what I've seen of it.

Pizza

Shocked at the Buu hate.

I hadn't watched DB at all until lasted year, watched literally everything from DB -> GT including the movies (I watched them where they fit into Z, to get a complete picture)

Buu saga feels like the Dragon Ball finale to Z. Z was scary, dire, and serious for most the arcs. Buu's insane arc from babidi to Saiyaman to High school to Hercule was all excellent shit that felt more like DB than most of Z. I dig it. Buu is weird af and also impossibly strong. THATS a great villain imo.

Cell was cool but his whole thing was "IM EVERYONE COMBINED AND THEN SOME" which didn't make for the most compelling antagonist. He was carried by a really really neat plot though, so it didn't bother me much. I didnt think the father/son kamehameha was that cool either. The whole Z sword stuff was some godtier silliness. I liked seeing gohan come into his own as a functional teen who was nothing at all like his dad outside their moral compass.

YoungOne

other than Vegita's final attonement ep and mystic Gohan it sucked. It just felt like things just twisted in the end to bring Goku back as hero once again.

FiggyCal

Banned
Buu Saga has some great moments and overall it's enjoyable, but as a whole I think you can see why Toriyama decided to end the series after it.

I think it's biggest weakness is that while Toriyama claims that he was writing by the seat of his pants throughout the whole series, I feel it was especially obvious here. He was constantly changing who the main hero of the saga was. You can tell he really wanted to write off Goku and Vegeta and focus on the younger characters, but it simply wasn't working out and he had to resort to just having Goku finish off Buu with an attack he's had since the Saiyan Saga.

I'm pretty sure he admitted to doing that from the Android Saga onwards. Cell was apparently not even supposed to be the main villain for that arc; it was Android 19 and Dr Gero, then it became 17 and 18 but his editor was unimpressed. Maybe he needed his editors to rein him in for the Buu saga because things got out of control.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I'm pretty sure he admitted to doing that from the Android Saga onwards. Cell was apparently not even supposed to be the main villain for that arc; it was Android 19 and Dr Gero. Maybe he needed his editors to rein him in for the Buu saga because things got out of control.

Honestly, from a plot perspective the Buu saga was fine until Buu absorbed Gohan and it became the Goku and Vegeta show.

Lamel

Banned
it did have some great fights and cool moments. I didn't think it was so bad, but still the worst arc of the show prob.

Majin vegeta vs. goku.
Majin vegeta vs. Buu
Vegeto vs. buu
Goku and Vegeta vs. Kid buu

cdunson

Neo Member
Buu saga had a lot of great ideas that ended up going nowhere:

+ The Majin Vegeta stuff and Vegeta's personality coming full circle, that eventually leads to his heroic death.
- Buu doesnt die and Vegeta doesn't get to be the hero who saves the world for once.

+ SS3 Goku has one of the best transformations in the series.
- SS3 Goku doesnt do shit, then goes back to the after life.

+ Goten & Trunks fuse to make Gotenks, a badass fused character that could of destroyed Buu and made them the new hero's of DBZ.
- They don't do shit and end up getting absorbed.

+ Mystic Gohan. The arc spends most of the time building Gohan up as the strongest and the one who will ultimately save the day.
- Mystic Gohan gets absorbed and doesn't do shit the rest of the series.

+ Goku and Vegeta fuse to make the most powerful character in the series and proceeds to fuck shit up. Another opportunity to end the saga.
- They get adsorbed, and then unfuse due to some shit plot device about buu's insides unfusing them.. The fusion accomplishes nothing. Goes to waste.

-In the end, Goku beats kid buu with a spirit bomb and saves the day again.

This is spot on. I have to admit though this arc was my favorite. Kid buu has to be my favorite villain in the series. Didn't have character or anything but he was just mindless fun and was even described as such. One thing about the buu arc is that I like is that earth was actually destroyed and super buu actually killed a shit ton of people. Made it seem like future trunks arc in terms of mortality rates.

Also, I think the music from Bruce Faulconer makes this arc that much better despite the poor storytelling.

I can badmouth the Buu saga but I can't deny we got this out of it:

giphy.gif
Word. Buu saga overall wasn't great, but it had some of the best Vegeta moments.

1) Vegeta vs. Pui Pui gives us one of Vegeta's best delivered lines (for me). "Maybe if this was 500 times gravity you might have an advantage. But 10? I don't even feel it. "

2) Vegeta's speech at the tournament combined with his music is beyond epic. "Meaningless, huh? What do you know of meaningless? Spend most of your life ruled by another. Watch your race dwindle to a handful. And then tell me what has more meaning than your own strength."

3) Buu had his problems, but I really did like Kid Buu. In a saga that was way too drawn out and rambly, it was great to finally get to a villain that was pure evil, and didn't waste time chatting. Plus, we get this gem. "What are you gawking at? What did you think? That I was gonna roll over and die from an attack like that? You're nothing. Just a trickster. I am a warrior. The saiyan prince. Vegeta."

Yeah...I kind of love Vegeta.

Lamel

Banned
Word. Buu saga overall wasn't great, but it had some of the best Vegeta moments.

1) Vegeta vs. Pui Pui gives us one of Vegeta's best delivered lines (for me). "Maybe if this was 500 times gravity you might have an advantage. But 10? I don't even feel it. "

2) Vegeta's speech at the tournament combined with his music is beyond epic. "Meaningless, huh? What do you know of meaningless? Spend most of your life ruled by another. Watch your race dwindle to a handful. And then tell me what has more meaning than your own strength."

3) Buu had his problems, but I really did like Kid Buu. In a saga that was way too drawn out and rambly, it was great to finally get to a villain that was pure evil, and didn't waste time chatting. Plus, we get this gem. "What are you gawking at? What did you think? That I was gonna roll over and die from an attack like that? You're nothing. Just a trickster. I am a warrior. The saiyan prince. Vegeta."

Yeah...I kind of love Vegeta.

Agree with all of this. Shit was hype.

Sciz

It's great, but the anime ruined the pacing, and consequently all of the humor that holds the arc together.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
This is pretty much it. The arc literally undercuts itself during what should be it's biggest moment, it's final climax, for literally no reason other than to become the Goku and Vegeta show. Everything after Gohan goes back to Earth and starts fighting Buu makes no narrative sense whatsoever.

That's essentially why no one likes the arc, because the arc is literally a hot mess that shits it's own pants at the worst possible moment.

This is why I can't stand it, honestly. Toriyama dropped the ball big time, which is a shame because the beginning parts of the arc are actually quite good. Things dive off a cliff when Super Buu shows up and it never seems to recover.

Will Gohan redeem himself in Super? I heard they hyped him up again only to go out like a little bitch again.

He's already long since redeemed himself in Super.

Reset

Yeah, I have to agree. Some of my favorites were
1.Vegeta blowing himself up and doing zero damage to Majin Buu.
2.Vegeta whining like a baby once he found out that Goku could have crushed him easily in their fight. Making Vegeta giving in to the Majin powers seem so pathetic lol
3.Vegeta getting his ass beat by Kid Buu so that he could distract him from Goku.
4.Vegeta asking for energy from the humans, but gets ignored haha. Then Hercules has to come in and save the day.

FiggyCal

Banned
I don't understand why people don't want Goku to be the hero

It's his show

It's not really relevant to this topic; but why bother even having other characters in Super aside from Goku and vegeta. It's something pretty much every arc in the past had to deal with, but now it feels like if you can't go Super Saiyan Blue, you're completely useless.

Top Bottom