• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Ball : Why Buu saga is the least popular ?

Pizza

I really liked the interstellar spirit bomb as payoff for goku touring the galaxy. The spirit bomb was always a weaponized version of goku befriending people over the course of his adventures, and I still think it's crazy cool the way they offed Buu. Yes gohan was hyped up, but at the end of the day he ISNT goku and I think that's important.

Yeah, I have to agree. Some of my favorites were
1.Vegeta blowing himself up and doing zero damage to Majin Buu.
2.Vegeta whining like a baby once he found out that Goku could have crushed him easily in their fight. Making Vegeta giving in to the Majin powers seem so pathetic lol
3.Vegeta getting his ass beat by Kid Buu so that he could distract him from Goku.
4.Vegeta asking for energy from the humans, but gets ignored haha. Then Hercules has to come in and save the day.
This is the worst part of the Buu saga. Or rather, the idea that Goku held back is beyond stupid. I'm not sure what is more dumb...Goku holding back, or us having to believe Goku would hold back. It's just....terrible.

I would have loved for us to get a fight where Goku and Vegeta had to fight Kid Buu at the same time. Not this stupid pride garbage we get as an excuse, or whatever reason they're willing to risk the safety of the universe.

Pizza

This is the worst part of the Buu saga. Or rather, the idea that Goku held back is beyond stupid. I'm not sure what is more dumb...Goku holding back, or us having to believe Goku would hold back. It's just....terrible.

He held back because he probably could have obliterated vegeta. Goku has always pulled his punches against weaker opponents. Instead of finishing vegeta outright, he gives him a fair fight. He likes to feel his opponents out during the fight and power up as needed. Also, goku knew he had to fight Buu after and SS3 takes a ton of energy to maintain. Alsoo it's the culmination of vegeta being salty with how powerful goku is. He sold his soul to catch up and it still wasn't enough. Even him Chiouzuing himself didn't do anything. Which was a sweet parallel to chiouzu killing himself to try and save his friends, which vegeta made fun of.

I politely disagree tbh

Wazzy

Banned
Buu Saga is fantastic up until the last part. They build up Gohan's potential and then ruin it against Super Buu. I tend to ignore the last part since I love everything else so much.

Buu saga gave us Videl, Mystic Gohan, Majin Vegeta, Goten and Trunks, Buu and the Kai's.

I don't understand why people don't want Goku to be the hero

It's his show

Goku's character peaked during the Frieza saga. After becoming a Super Saiyan, there wasn't anything else he could do really except pass on the torch to his son(s). But all that ended up being a colossal waste of time (at least in the Buu Saga) -- loads of buildup to no payoff.

Because it's the longest and most overstuffed of the DBZ arcs, that and while I like Buu, the damn thing just keeps coming back and back. I can see why people wouldn't be so big on it.

The Buu saga is everything wrong with DBZ amplified, it features:

1. Transformations that are thrown at us which amount to nothing
2. Characters are pushed to the side for Goku to save the day
3. Characters having a lot of build-up/emotional moment which does nothing
4. Weak villain that keeps changing around until the very end (fat Buu to pure Buu to super Buu to Kidd Buu) (although I do like fat Buu)
5. Side characters being non existent to the plot.

And this arc has the award for the worst transformation in the series, SSJ3. The hair is ridiculous and looks more like a parody of DBZ than a official piece of work (although Heros exist and that seems to give everyone every form ever).

Anung

Un Rama
It was long, bloated, went to great lengths to ruin characters and kept raising the stakes till it lost all meaning.

Which is a shame as it has some amazing moments littered throughout.

It's just not that good compared to what come before.

Frieza Saga is the absolute pinnacle for me, but Cell comes pretty close.

If you want to include Garlic Jr., then Buu certainly isn't the absolute worst.

FRS1987

It had cool moments but by far the worst arc for several reasons.

Pros:

Vegeta vs Goku rematch
Gohan vs Buu
Vegito

Cons:

Vegeta vs Goku rematch
Gohan vs Buu
Vegito
Spirit Bomb ending
Tons of power ups/transformations for nothing
SSJ3 ,why did this even exist? Oh, Goku sped up his time on earth, welp no more SSJ3 Goku

Buu saga is like when you played with action figures as a kid, instead of having 'your' guy lose lose he would instead find some new hidden strength or would be saved by some other guy (like gotenks and new super gohan). this happens a dozen times tho

Buu saga greatly oversays its welcome tho some characters are great like dabura, Majin Buu, Majin Vegita arc, the GREAT MOHERFUCKING SAIYAMAN AND VIDEL YO

LotusHD

Banned

It's his show

It's the inherent issue with this show being so tied to power levels, where if you aren't at least at a certain threshold of power, then you're completely useless. It even extends to the names itself where we know a SSJ2 Saiyan could never beat a SSJ3 Saiyan for example.

As I got older, it just dawned on me that virtually all of Goku's friends are just useless. Where if Goku or Vegeta (But pretty much just Goku) isn't fighting nowadays, then it doesn't matter. It'd be one thing if they at least gave some prominent henchman or whatever for the others to fight, but that's a rarity as well. That's why I very much enjoy that other shounen series tried to not fall into the same traps that DBZ did. And it's also why I enjoy them doing tournament arcs in Super, because well, that's probably the only way they'll ever get any action.

So basically, if the supporting cast got more moments to shine, then people probably wouldn't complain as much about it being the Goku and Vegeta show.

I think the fact that transformations just happen also runs raw with people.

With SSJ and SSJ2, they build that shit up, they're levels that Goku and Gohan, and others, reach through specific means that we get to watch happen. When Future Trunks rolls up, its a genuine mystery as to who the hell this guy is who can go Super Saiyan.

With stuff like SSJ3 and fusions and even Mystic, it just happens poorly or completely off screen. The fact that Goku simply learns SSJ3 and Fusion while dead and off camera is shitty. Show us how he learned those two things and then he can put them into practice. Mystic was really just amplifying Gohan's original transformation into SSJ2 (which probably should have only been something that he could have done, hence the arguments for why it would have been better to end with Cell)

Jigorath

Banned
I love the Buu Saga.

It felt like Toriyama was just fucking around at this point and taking the piss out of his own series.

Probably my favorite arc, honestly.

It's by far the best arc in my book, because if I'm gonna watch a dumb ass show like DBZ (which I love, by the way, but come on) then I'm gonna get the most entertainment out of the part that takes itself the least seriously. Toriyama did not give a single fuck and the result is great.

Weak ending though, and Gohan really should've done more.

edit: granted, I had stopped watching DBZ by the end of the cell saga when it was airing on toonami. I've only seen the Kai version of the arc. I assume the original pacing was atrocious.

kunonabi

It's the inherent issue with this show being so tied to power levels, where if you aren't at least at a certain threshold of power, then you're completely useless. It even extends to the names itself where we know a SSJ2 Saiyan could never beat a SSJ3 Saiyan for example.

As I got older, it just dawned on me that virtually all of Goku's friends are just useless. Where if Goku or Vegeta (But pretty much just Goku) isn't fighting nowadays, then it doesn't matter. It'd be one thing if they at least gave some prominent henchman or whatever for the others to fight, but that's a rarity as well. That's why I very much enjoy that other shounen series tried to not fall into the same traps that DBZ did. And it's also why I enjoy them doing tournament arcs in Super, because well, that's probably the only way they'll ever get any action.

So basically, if the supporting cast got more moments to shine, then people probably wouldn't complain as much about it being the Goku and Vegeta show.

The supporting cast is issue is one of the main reasons the Cell saga is so good. Almost everyone contributes something at some point. Everything since hasnt come close to pulling that off.

blakep267

It's his show
It's just as much Gohans show as Gokus. Raditz, saiyan saga, namek(holy came during the second half and spent more time in a tube, garlic jr pt2, androids, cell buu. Hogan was at the forefront of it all. Holy spent most of the time running to get to the actual battle or in a spaceship etc

Unbounded

They had like 5 or so chances to end it on a perfect note but insisted on dragging it longer than it had to.

As much as I can't really enjoy his character, Vegeta really should've had that win, had his redemption, had his only defeat of a major villain in the entire series, and it should have ended right there.

bitbydeath

It's not really relevant to this topic; but why bother even having other characters in Super aside from Goku and vegeta. It's something pretty much every arc in the past had to deal with, but now it feels like if you can't go Super Saiyan Blue, you're completely useless.

Git gud Yamcha

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
It's not really relevant to this topic; but why bother even having other characters in Super aside from Goku and vegeta. It's something pretty much every arc in the past had to deal with, but now it feels like if you can't go Super Saiyan Blue, you're completely useless.

Because they're actually fixing that problem by bringing other characters up to their level. Like Gohan and Android 17.

Shadio

If you had already watched Dragon Ball then you might have known what to expect, but the change in tone was so strange for someone who had only watched Z. After the likes of Cell and Frieza, the new big threat was essentially a playful child, and even after he got serious he was still treated like a joke at times. Gotenks and his fight in the time chamber are definitely the lowest point in the series for me.

I think Cell was probably the least interesting thing in his own arc, but I liked everything else it introduced so much that it didn't really bother me.

The supporting cast is issue is one of the main reasons the Cell saga is so good. Almost everyone contributes something at some point. Everything since hasnt come close to pulling that off.

The last fight against Cell is where the show peaked for me. Watching 11year old Gohan wipe him off the map with his father's move? Hard to beat that.

And then Trunks goes and saves the future.

kunonabi

Because they're actually fixing that problem by bringing other characters up to their level. Like Gohan and Android 17.

Are they? Gohan went through all that trouble to regain his mystic/ultimate status and Goku immediately made it obvious that Gohan can't hang with him anyway.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Are they? Gohan went through all that trouble to regain his mystic/ultimate status and Goku immediately made it obvious that Gohan can't hang with him anyway.
They certainly are.
Ka8gxFC.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I was in college when it aired and the weird cool thing to do among the student body was watch Dragon ball. I recall this arc just dragging on forever with nothing happening and losing interest quickly in a show I already thought was kind of lame.

It's actually the best Dragon Ball arc ever. I love how everything went to shit in it.

First Buu is reborn thanks to the morons Goku and Vegeta, then goes on a rampage against humanity killing almot 80% of everyone. Then Mr. Satan saves the world, thats's SO good. But humanity one more time get recked thanks to their own stupidity and make the good Buu turn into the evil Buu. Then evil Buu goes straight to God's place and kills everyone from there, earth is a wasteland now! Their only solution is 2 inexperienced boys to fix things up, but of course this doesn't work, since they are only clueless childs.

Clueless child 1 fused with clueless child 2 = Big cluesless child SSJ3.

But don't worry, Gohan will save the day!
NOT
Thanks to his own arrogance he ended up being absorved into Buu, so one more time (lol) things go from bad to worse thanks to humanity's own stupid.

But HEY, PLOT TWIST, Vegetto is here! The ultimate warrior, Goku + Vegeta, OMG he's SO STRONG. But anyway, what about he lets himself get absorved to try save Picollo, Trunk, Goten and gohan? That'll work! And it did!!!! But in the end Buu return to his original form, the truly biggest plot twist of the whole saga, Kid Buu. A mindless demon who only wants to kill and the first thing he does is ignore both Goku and Vegeta and completely destroys the earth (Now that's a villain, no talk, let's just end this).

Goku is a smart guy, he can teleport himself and the other out of the soon to be destroyed earth, but he got save Picollo, Gohan, Goten and Trunks! I mean, that's why they're in this situation now in the first place! But nope, let's just save Mr. Satan. I mean, wha could go wrong? LMAO. Humanity stupid? yep, but wait, maybe not! Kid Buu is not satisfied, he wants Goku and Vegeta, so he goes on a rampage against various planets destroying them all in search of those two. He's so mad that he went to kill people who are already dead! Poor Kuririn.

Then the time for Vegeta to shine is here! the ultimate battle, Goku + Vegeta + Mr. satan VS Kid Buu. The biggest climax of the series till this day, everything comes to this. Vegeta and Goku don't stand a chance against the child demon, and Mr. satan... welll, he still thinks it's all a dream! But Vegeta is a really smart guy, he thinks of the ultimate plan to finally kill Buu for once and for all, a Genki Dama! (Who would have thought of that? He's so inteligent!). But this time reviving everyone with the dragon balls and using their enery to make the biggest Genki Dama yet. The problem is, why would anyone listen to Vegeta? I mean, he's a nobody to them. But the true Earth's saviour is here. Yes, Mr. Satan is here! He asked the people from Earth for their energy and his wish shall be granted and, literally, everyone around Earth raise their arms and start to scream "SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!". Oh Akira... The plan worked, Goku throws the Genki Dama putting an end in Kid buu.

Thanks Mr. Satan, you really saved the earth from Majin Buu and the Sayans.

The End.

Best arc ever.

tenor.gif

kunonabi

They certainly are.

Huh, i had a completely different memory of this episode as i could have sworn goku didnt even bother to go blue. Rewatched it and yeah they do seem to be pushing Gohan up there.

Happy to wrong but lets see them follow through with it especially after Goku completely no-selling Kale's offense.

w3bba

Buu arc was closer to original DB than Z which was actually very fun and a good throwback imo. It was toriyama unhinged and it shows.

So why I can understand the dislike for it, for me it's a last hurrah for the wacky nonsense of original DB

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Buu saga is legit the worst because Akira-sama didn't wanna do it anymore and purposely made it worse so he could stop.

I remember growing up Buu saga and GT were universally hated among hardcore dbz fans the younger generation of fans seems to like them....I really don't get it they aren't good at all.

It's actually the best Dragon Ball arc ever. I love how everything went to shit in it.

First Buu is reborn thanks to the morons Goku and Vegeta, then goes on a rampage against humanity killing almot 80% of everyone. Then Mr. Satan saves the world, thats's SO good. But humanity one more time get recked thanks to their own stupidity and make the good Buu turn into the evil Buu. Then evil Buu goes straight to God's place and kills everyone from there, earth is a wasteland now! Their only solution is 2 inexperienced boys to fix things up, but of course this doesn't work, since they are only clueless childs.

Clueless child 1 fused with clueless child 2 = Big cluesless child SSJ3.

But don't worry, Gohan will save the day!
NOT
Thanks to his own arrogance he ended up being absorved into Buu, so one more time (lol) things go from bad to worse thanks to humanity's own stupid.

But HEY, PLOT TWIST, Vegetto is here! The ultimate warrior, Goku + Vegeta, OMG he's SO STRONG. But anyway, what about he let's himself get absorved to try save Picollo, Trunk, Goten and gohan? That'll work! And it did!!!! But in the end Buu return to his original form, the biggest plot twist of the whole saga, Kid Buu. I mindless demon who only wants to kill and the first thing he does is ignore both Goku and Vegeta and completely destroys the earth (Now that's a villain, no talk, let's just end this).

Goku is a smart guy, he can teleport himself and the other out of the soon to be destroyed earth, but he got save Picollo, Gohan, Goten and Trunks! I mean, that's why they're in this situation now in the first place! But nope, let's just save Mr. Satan. I mean, wha could go wrong? LMAO. Humanity stupid? yep, but wait, maybe not! Kid Buu is not satisfied, he wants Goku and Vegeta, so he goes on a rampage against various planets destroying them all in search of those two. He's so mad that he went to kill people who are already dead! Poor Kuririn.

Then the time for Vegeta to shine is here! the ultimate battle, Goku + Vegeta + Mr. satan VS Kid Buu. The biggest climax of the series till this day, everything comes to this. Vegeta and Goku don't stand a chance against the child demon, and Mr. satan... welll, he still thinks it's all a dream! But Vegeta is a really smart guy, he thinks of the ultimate plan to finally kill Buu for once and for all, a Genki Dama! (Who would have thought of that? He's so inteligent!). But this time reviving everyone with the dragon balls and using their enery to make the biggest Genki Dama yet. The problem is, why would anyone listen to Vegeta? I mean, he's a nobody to them. But the true Earth's saviour is here. Yes, Mr. Satan is here! He asked the people from Earth for their energy and his wish shall be granted and, literally, everyone around Earth raise their arms and start to scream "SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!". Oh Akira... The plan worked, Goku throws the Genki Dama putting an end in Kid buu.

Thanks Mr. Satan, you really saved the earth from Majin Buu and the Sayans.

The End.

Best arc ever.

tenor.gif

loooooool

ajim

I'm a big fan of buu, especially super buu and kid buu. I love that pure evil element and unrelenting destruction.

I wish it didn't include fat buu and drag on for as long as it did.

ramparter

Banned
I always thought it was dumb how they didn't bring Gohan or Gotenks to the final battle.

Either one could have easily beat Kid Buu.
Gogan was the sad part of Buu saga. First they make an idiot of him. Then they make him suck. Then they make him powerful again and when shit is to become real he just gets eaten by Buu. Fuck this shit.

edit: And I was just reminded I never watched the end of it. Stopped caring after Gohan got absorbed.

Epcott

The saga is just so long, I've never finished it nor made it to the end. I'm finally watching it as Kai on Toonami now, and it barely holds my attention at how slow paced it goes.

And to this day, the character still sucks... he's so OP, the only way the writers can keep it competitive is by making him conveniently fall asleep when needed the most.

Zelias

Banned
It's an unfocused mess and just seems to be throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. It has its moments (Vegeta's sacrifice, for example), but as an overall package is pretty weak. Buu isn't really compelling either, with the possible exceptions of Buuhan and maybe Fat Buu.

Ferr986

Arc should have ended with Mystic Gohan killing Buu. All of that hyping for nothing.

Sucks that Goku had to save the day, especially after what the ending of Cell saga meant.

I liked the more humour tone but it was a mess and too long with repeating itself just to make Goku be the hero again.

Nottle

I would say that in some ways the Cell Saga could be a really good ending for the series, there is a passing of the torch, they tie it back around to the red ribbon army, Trunks is sort of a throw back to Bulma's importance to the series, and Cell is the combination of many fighters they have faced.

The Buu saga isn't as neatly thought out. You know I've heard that the Cell saga had a lot of revisions practically while it was being published, but the power creep is absurd in buu saga and it's just so long.

Top Bottom