• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest composer Koichi Sugiyama has passed away at age 90

PCH

Neo Member
I don’t get the mental gymnastics of that, it’s not like the world has 10 artists. If Leonardo da Vinci was a child molester would we be having Mona Lisa in the Louvre?

Sugiyama was a thrash of a human being and the world is a better place without him, sad the reaper waited for 90 years to do his duty.
Leonardo da Vinci was a child molester and pedophile (as we see it today) and we still admire his art. Now , since you are above "mental gymnastics" , I bet you on a way to the Louvre to remove all his art?

Bakkus

If we're talking about separating art from the artist, I was a Lostprophets fan back in my teenage years and I can't even stand it to hear to the lead singer's voice anymore. He's a fucker which I hope rots in jail, and trust me, if you decide to see what he's doing a life sentence for you'll probably agree with me. You've been warned.

Stone Roses and The I.T. Crowd? I can still enjoy the work somewhat, but I won't deny Ian Brown and Graham Linehan can get fucked for all I care.

Lovecraft and Sugiyama? I'm really not gonna judge people from a century ago having terribly outdated views. I don't support their mistakes in any way but they did much less damage than any of the people above.

Context, y'know? I'm not going to treat an idiot like a monster, but a real monster or someone who's actively trying to make things worse will get no sympathy from me.

J. K. Rowling did more fucked up things than Sugiyama. I can let it slide for a 90-year old Japanese man, but not for the British writer which harms her own fans. Context, goddammit.
You're comparing the actions of lostprophets lead singer to the other ones. Jesus fucking christ. That's the only one of your examples who actually did a henious thing. None of the other people you mentioned did anything other than voice opinions you disagree with...

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned
He was a good artist and a trash human being. We can appreciate his art and his work without appreciating who he was and that's that. I particularly am indifferent to his death.

zokie

i gotta say that some people on that forum has double standards , they play the game and listened to the music and yet still complain about him on his private life

he has passed on and let his pay for his mistakes in his afterlife , in our saying "the dead has the greatest respect"

What i truly enjoyed in his work for the DQ series and DQXII should be his last involvement in some way

YukiOnna

i gotta say that some people on that forum has double standards , they play the game and listened to the music and yet still complain about him on his private life

he has passed on and let his pay for his mistakes in his afterlife , in our saying "the dead has the greatest respect"

What i truly enjoyed in his work for the DQ series and DQXII should be his last involvement in some way
I wonder if he did get to start composing for DQXII or work on music sheets?

Rran

I wonder if he did get to start composing for DQXII or work on music sheets?
Kind of hard to say but the impression I got from Square-Enix's epitaph was that he had begun working on DQXII. Would be cool if the next composer for the game finishes the works he created so we can get one more set of Sugiyama compositions.

Either way, DQXII just got even more non-traditional, for better or worse.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
You mean the forum where people bitched about Cyperpunk’s “transphobic” ads for months and then bought the game day 1? Why, I’ll never :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:

What is, in GAF’s opinion, the best DQ OST/album?

You're comparing the actions of lostprophets lead singer to the other ones. Jesus fucking christ. That's the only one of your examples who actually did a henious thing. None of the other people you mentioned did anything other than voice opinions you disagree with...
I'm comparing my actions towards these people. There's no way what all these people have done are even comparable. And that's precisely what I'm talking about - he's the only one where I flat out don't ever want to have any contact with his "art" ever again. It's tainted beyond recognition. The other people range from "they're now assholes but this is still good" and "I can accept them being douches just because of the age they lived in".

I... honestly don't know how you thought I would be even comparing these things like they were the same things, but I can guarantee it was not my intention.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
If we're talking about separating art from the artist, I was a Lostprophets fan back in my teenage years and I can't even stand it to hear to the lead singer's voice anymore. He's a fucker which I hope rots in jail, and trust me, if you decide to see what he's doing a life sentence for you'll probably agree with me. You've been warned.

Stone Roses and The I.T. Crowd? I can still enjoy the work somewhat, but I won't deny Ian Brown and Graham Linehan can get fucked for all I care.

Lovecraft and Sugiyama? I'm really not gonna judge people from a century ago having terribly outdated views. I don't support their mistakes in any way but they did much less damage than any of the people above.

Context, y'know? I'm not going to treat an idiot like a monster, but a real monster or someone who's actively trying to make things worse will get no sympathy from me.

J. K. Rowling did more fucked up things than Sugiyama. I can let it slide for a 90-year old Japanese man, but not for the British writer which harms her own fans. Context, goddammit.

Lost Prophets is literally the only one who did something irredeemable. The rest just said things you disagreed with or were products of their times.

Are you sure you shouldn't be over on REE?

Top Bottom