• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest series producer Ryota Aomi leaves Square Enix

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper

FokzKfVaIAECx4v

“I, [Ryota] Aomi, have left Square Enix,” Aomi said in a message. “I apologize to everyone for this sudden announcement.”

He continued, “I’ve been at Square Enix for 13 years, and have worked on Dragon Quest for 16 years including the development period at my last job. [Working on] Dragon Quest was a dream of mine since elementary school. Every day was truly another tale.”

Before he was officially hired by Square Enix in 2013, Aomi worked at Genius Sonority, where he was a planner on Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors.

“I’ve now begun a ‘new adventure‘ at the next company,” Aomi said. “I’d like to tell you all about where I’m at and what I’m doing, so please wait just a little longer.”

Before closing out his message, Aomi expressed a heartfelt thanks to Dragon Quest series creator Yuji Horii, character designer Akira Toriyama, and late composer Koichi Sugiyama.

Last edited:

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I want one of those slime plushies.

Also, good luck to the man. Wonder what could be the reason for him leaving. Maybe he doesn't like where the series is headed?

I just hope this doesn't have any effect on DQIII HD and DQXII.

Hestar69

I want one of those slime plushies.

Also, good luck to the man. Wonder what could be the reason for him leaving. Maybe he doesn't like where the series is headed?

I just hope this doesn't have any effect on DQIII HD and DQXII.

Yeah I hope dq 3 HD and 12 still coming out :(..Only beat 1 and 11 but loved them.. I really need to play the resst.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Yeah I hope dq 3 HD and 12 still coming out :(..Only beat 1 and 11 but loved them.. I really need to play the resst.
Yeah you should! I love the remakes for the Nintendo DS. IV, V and VI are amazing games, IV being my first DQ ever and making me love the series ever since. The animations of the monster in combat are great, never saw 2D animations that smooth until I played DQ.

My favorite is V, but any of those three will give you a nice and comfy adventure. I also tried VII but that one is much longer and slower, I would leave that one for later. VIII I haven't played, but it's one of the best according to many to I guess it's a safe bet too.

TintoConCasera

Have you played the PS2 remake?

I know about it, but no I haven't! It looks great, and it has the orchestral OST right? Thing is, I'm so in love with the enemy sprites of the DS version that I haven't yet considered played the PS2 one. :goog_relieved:

My next DQ will be I. I heard the ending of III hits much harder if you have played that one, but I already know that III is a prequel to I so I don't know if that's it or if there's more. I'm also curious to see how the saga started.

Which version would you recommend me? The SNES remaster maybe?

TintoConCasera

I haven't played the SNES remaster, but I think any version will do. The SNES version looks very colorful.

Dragon Quest 1 is charming, but very basic. Having no party members makes it kinda boring sometimes.
Yeah I guess it must have little to no strategy to it's combat with just one character. But whatever, I don't mind a comfy game that lets me turn off my brain and grind for a little while, specially if it's as charming as any DQ game.

Hestar69

Yeah you should! I love the remakes for the Nintendo DS. IV, V and VI are amazing games, IV being my first DQ ever and making me love the series ever since. The animations of the monster in combat are great, never saw 2D animations that smooth until I played DQ.

My favorite is V, but any of those three will give you a nice and comfy adventure. I also tried VII but that one is much longer and slower, I would leave that one for later. VIII I haven't played, but it's one of the best according to many to I guess it's a safe bet too.
I had 4-6 for 3ds sealed but had to sell them sadly during covid to help my mom (and some other games) I have 7 and 8 for the 3ds still I might play 8 soon..like you said,ppl seem to like it alot..or ill play 11 again and get the plat on the other version since I have it on the base game for ps4 lol

TintoConCasera

I had 4-6 for 3ds sealed but had to sell them sadly during covid to help my mom (and some other games) I have 7 and 8 for the 3ds still I might play 8 soon..like you said,ppl seem to like it alot..
Nice of you for helping your mom my man.
If you ever can get your hands again on at least one of the DS games, get V. Best story in the series and one of my favs out of the JRPS I've played.

or ill play 11 again and get the plat on the other version since I have it on the base game for ps4 lol
Again? Dude I just beat that game and it took me 130 hours. :goog_relieved:

Did you do any draconian missions? The one that makes the monsters stronger is cool, made for some tense boss fights during my playthough.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

“Please wait just a little longer… “
“Be excited”
Etc. etc.

Is this a cultural thing?
Yes. You can also see it in Nintendo Direct, sometime the host will said "how was it?"

Even writing work email is really hard lol

Hestar69

Nice of you for helping your mom my man.
If you ever can get your hands again on at least one of the DS games, get V. Best story in the series and one of my favs out of the JRPS I've played.

Again? Dude I just beat that game and it took me 130 hours. :goog_relieved:

Did you do any draconian missions? The one that makes the monsters stronger is cool, made for some tense boss fights during my playthough.
Nah,I didn't do the draconian missions stuff just whatever was needed for the plat.. Yeah I think my plat end time was 157hrs but i did leave it on a few hrs so not sure my true time. now that the new/switch version is on ps+ with new trophies i'm tempted to play it or try the ys games ( I just got done beating persona 4 for the first time so looking for a new rpg to play)

Top Bottom