• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon Quest X Offline's English Translation Project / Mod - Amazing

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dragon Quest X Offline (both for PC and the Switch) has received an English Translation fan project that is largely based on the translation project for Dragon Quest X Online.

-Video has some light spoilers
-Also, it's for an older version of the mod so some of the things you see here in Japanese are already in English

So far, I've put about 60 hours into the game using this mod and have only come across a few trivial things here and there that aren't translated at all. Still quite a bit of the translation is based on machine translation (think Google Translate), but it still does an okay job of getting the point across. So far in my 60+ hours of playtime (on the Switch) I've yet to get lost or not know what to do or where to go next to advance the story.

The mod is getting a lot of pretty regular updates, version 0.1.1 just released a few weeks ago and has had a pretty steady release schedule since the first version dropped in July.

Obviously to play this on a Switch you'll need one that's hacked. You can get a copy from Play Asia for about $60

The game is sadly region locked on Steam

What do you think GAF? Anyone else playing this or interested in picking it up now?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I wish it somehow was a mod for the original to be offline and focused on the storyline. I don't understand Square's thinking to completely demake the game like this, wouldn't it have been easier to use the existing assets? Or they really want it inferior so people keep subbing to X? Is it popular still?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Hmm…. That’s pretty interesting but don’t know if I want to pay $60 plus shipping for this one.

I will check out Amazon Japan and see if they have it for less next time I order from there as well.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I wish it somehow was a mod for the original to be offline and focused on the storyline. I don't understand Square's thinking to completely demake the game like this, wouldn't it have been easier to use the existing assets? Or they really want it inferior so people keep subbing to X? Is it popular still?
I think their thought process was: "get this game running on the Nintendo Switch for maximum profit". Obviously yeah they don't want to upstage the MMO. I believe (or at least it feels like) this game is running in a modified version of the DQ IX (DS) engine. The cutscenes in the game are the same models from the MMO, so it feels like a step up from IX and a step down from XI, which really makes sense given its chronology in the series.

They're obviously still trying to hook people in for the MMO. The first expansion got released for this offline version, but they announced it would be the last one releasing. If you finish the first expansion, there is an option to link your account and keep playing from where the story left off - except you don't get to keep your items or levels because you've got max level/gear at that point so...

It's an interesting case study in how to bring an MMO's story into an offline game though. Seems incredibly well-balanced throughout. The class system is amazing, as expected, and there are still the MMO-like class quests you get at different level milestones. Still lots of crafting and sub-jobs (like fishing) that are in the MMO. Just gotta look past the kinda-lame art style.

Alexios

I think their thought process was: "get this game running on the Nintendo Switch for maximum profit".
Come on, lol, the Switch can handle Dragon Quest X proper my guy. Remember where it started, even with enhancements like dynamic shadows, slightly enhanced models and more elaborate areas - that still have to look roughly fitting with all the ancient content - it's still pretty basic, get real.

Edit: forgot, Dragon Quest X non offline itself is on Switch too, lol (and was on WiiU after Wii above as well). The rest, sure, you have good points as I had implied already it has to do with wanting to keep the online game active, but that Switch stuff was completely irrelevant and unecessary.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I played a bit of this in Japanese and really liked it. This was 3 years ago I think.

There’s something about it that captures the ffxi online vibe which is my favorite mmo.

How does this work for pc version to mod and play ? Offline only ? I didn’t get far into Japanese version but will I be gated out of raid content or something in offline ?

StereoVsn

Come on, lol, the Switch can handle Dragon Quest X proper my guy. Remember where it started, even with enhancements like dynamic shadows, slightly enhanced models and more elaborate areas - that still have to look roughly fitting with all the ancient content - it's still pretty basic, get real.

Edit: forgot, Dragon Quest X Online itself is on Switch too, lol. The rest, sure, you have good points, but that Switch stuff was completely irrelevant and unecessary.

Isn’t DQX Online a cloud game on the Switch?

Alexios

Isn’t DQX Online a cloud game on the Switch?
Maybe, that would definitely qualify as "just get it running" I guess, again, it was on Wii & WiiU, it can handle it, especially if we're talking an offline version so no potential for loads of players hanging around in one little area/city or whatever. Switch has XI which is beyond next gen in comparison.

It was cloud on 3DS though (though I bet New 3DS could have had an actual port with the Wii assets, but sure, they wouldn't wanna maintain all versions), I guess they just converted that system for Switch if you're not mistaken about it. Getting a concrete answer about it is pretty hard with google.

Edit: I found file size information of a compilation version on Switch and it was ~33GB at the time (2017) so yeah, probably the actual game running on the hardware and not just a stream player and bonus content at that size. Probably confused the cloud thing with the 3DS version, it makes sense.

Last edited:

jshackles

Maybe, that would definitely quality as "just get it running" I guess, again, it was on WiiU as well as Wii, it can handle it, especailly if we're talking an offline version as I was discussing so no potential for loads of players hanging around in one little area/city or whatever, if the game has such stuff.
It could also be that, given it's obvious Japan-centric release to date, they might have opted to remake (or demake) the game simply because a lot of people who are into Dragon Quest would have already played the original MMO, and they wanted to give the fans something new to play. If this was a 1:1 offline remake, there might not have been much interest in the game as it'd be seen as basically a port of a 10-year-old Wii game.

Again, just speculating.

I never played the Online version, so I'm having a blast with the Switch version + English mod.

Alexios

I played a bit of this in Japanese and really liked it. This was 3 years ago I think.

There’s something about it that captures the ffxi online vibe which is my favorite mmo.

How does this work for pc version to mod and play ? Offline only ? I didn’t get far into Japanese version but will I be gated out of raid content or something in offline ?
This is different to the MMORPG, it's an official Dragon Quest X Offline remake for single player so you aren't gated out of anything, nor does it have everything the same either, just think of it like Dragon Quest XI on the 3DS vs the other completely different versions I guess. It's not what you played.

Last edited:

Power Pro

Why this offline version was made without even having a localized version in the pipeline is beyond me. All I've wanted for over a decade was a way to play this game, and SE hates me so. When i was in Japan, all I could was stare and drool at the copies of it I saw on shelves, knowing I couldn't buy it and play it because of the servers being region locked at the time.

The Switch hadn't come out yet when I was there, so 3DS street passing was still big, and I street passed with soooo many people in Japan playing Dragon Quest X :(

Last edited:

daninthemix

Why don't they just officially translate and release this?

EDIT:

And while they're at it, they can:

- Port DQ9 to modern systems.
- Release DQ 1-6 Pixel Remaster

Last edited:

jshackles

Why don't they just officially translate and release this?

EDIT:

And while they're at it, they can:

- Port DQ9 to modern systems.
- Release DQ 1-6 Pixel Remaster
They seem to think that nobody outside Japan enjoys Dragon Quest.

At least we're getting the new Dragon Quest Monsters game in a few weeks.

Hudo

You know what the crazy thing about DQX Offline is? That it's on Steam but region locked for Japan. That fact made me think that they're gonna do a western release as well...

Doom_master1122

Neo Member

Last I checked about a year and a half ago when I last played, the servers still had tons of active players. I bought the game and expansion on switch and slowly have been going through them on and off. I might kick back up my sub again to start continuing. I'm about half way into the first expansion after finishing the base game story. Which really leads me to question how offline's story works since portions of the story ends up needing to be continued into the expansions. Are they just going to leave questions unanswered or point players to online?

jshackles

Last I checked about a year and a half ago when I last played, the servers still had tons of active players. I bought the game and expansion on switch and slowly have been going through them on and off. I might kick back up my sub again to start continuing. I'm about half way into the first expansion after finishing the base game story. Which really leads me to question how offline's story works since portions of the story ends up needing to be continued into the expansions. Are they just going to leave questions unanswered or point players to online?
The game has the first expansion available - apparently that's going to be the only one for the offline game. My understanding is that this wraps up the game's first story arc. You can also continue your story progress in the online game by linking your account after you finish the game.

Krathoon

Yeah. I ordered the Switch version off Play Asia because it is a pain in the ass to get the PC version on Steam now.

I don't want Steam to ban me.

It is kind of weird that they chibified that game when it originally had full sized characters. Still, it is Dragon Quest.

They also really nickel and dimed the game with a bunch of DLC.

Krathoon

Yeah. The translation is not quite perfect. You can't enter an English name for your character.

Also, I have been referred to as her when I am playing a man.

I guess you get access to the expansion at some point. They don't make it obvious.

The bonus stuff shows up as gifts that you open later on in the game.

jshackles

I guess you get access to the expansion at some point. They don't make it obvious.
The expansion is only accessible after you beat the game.

Krathoon

There are some parts of dialogue that totally did not get translated. I guess it was too Japanese.
It happened on the first major boss fight in the cavern.

Krathoon

So, essentially this is the first major story arc of the MMO.

Kind of a shame this is not released in the USA and you have to use a VPN to play the MMO.

Too may hoops to jump through.

jshackles

I'm still not sure why they didn't just release this version of the game in the US. I guess since the end of the game + 1st expansion you can roll your character into the MMO, which you can't play in the US. Still a damn shame, because this game is pretty awesome.

I was able to finish the game using the English mod. Some things weren't translated at all yet (fishing, boat riding, advanced job quests) but there's enough there to get by. However, the quests for the expansion aren't in English (yet), so I kind of gave up on advancing through that for now. I'll probably come back to it if/when the English mod gets updated for that content.

Mr.ODST

The original is an amazing MMO, played for a few months and the DLC's were great, such a shame we never got it

Nester

Kind of a shame this is not released in the USA and you have to use a VPN to play the MMO.

Too may hoops to jump through.

You can play through Version 2 of the online game on PC for free and the English translation tools are really good these days. No VPN is required anymore if you live in the US. I have it setup on an Asus ROG Ally with full gamepad controls.
PXL_20231210_213611018.jpg

Getting setup with the game:
https://dqxabbey.com/pages/getting_started.html

Setting up the translation utilities:
https://dqxabbey.com/pages/utilities/translation_tools.html

It's a little more work to get setup than the offline translation but worth it. I don't even use the second translation tool anymore, DQXclarity is amazing.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Too may hoops to jump ththrough.
You don't need a VPN if you're playing in the states.

Been playing the fan translation. It's quite good. Not perfect, but it gets the job done. It's incredible it's at the stage its at IMHO. Main story cutscenes are well translated, npcs are machine translated.

Story and world is great.

jshackles

New version of the translation was released today!

• Version 0.1.7​

• UI: Heavily revised battle messages
    • UI: Minor formatting corrections for quest descriptions, field messages and tutorial tips
    • UI: Very minor adjustments to monster & boss names, item & skill panel descriptions, records menu, loading screen tips, achievements
    • UI: Added translation for Untranslated Clerk NPCs, Salons, Fishing Menus, and Subjugation Forms
    • UI: Translated UI elements for Forge and Lottery
    • Dialogue (HT & MT): Various minor corrections and adjustments

Top Bottom