• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be the next Elden Ring

Draugoth

Gold Member
UH6QzCS.jpg

Dragon's Dogma 2 alone made the PlayStation Showcase worth watching. People who are saying the PlayStation Showcase was bad didn't play the original Dragon's Dogma. Do yourself a favour and grab Dark Arisen for 5 bucks and plau if you have the time.

Dragon's Dogma received an overall positive critical reception, mostly thanks to the expanded re-release subtitled Dark Arisen. But what made it so resonating among general audiences was how refreshingly bizarre of a game it was compared to its contemporaries of the time. The original game is a bit clunky since it game out in the 7th generation, but if you are looking to go past it's jankiness it's as good as the original Dark Souls with spetacular comba

Capcom has the potential to make a masterpiece like Monster Hunter World and RE4 Remake if they address and improve on what made Dragon's Dogma good:

• Making Pawn AI actually good this time: I love Dragon's Dogma, but if one of my pawns points out that the 'ocean is over' in some f*** off direction, I'm throwing them off the top of something tall. Again.
  • Berserk Dark-fantasy style narrative like in the Anime and Manga: The main strengths of the original Dragon's Dogma lie in its quirky gameplay mechanics like the Pawns, the cathartic Devil May Cry-like combat, and the thrilling boss fights that come from it. However, even longtime fans of the game admit that storytelling was one of its weakest points. I’d say, it would be nice to have a story/world that’s more interesting. DD was the epitome of blandness in that area. Fantasy worlds are typically synonymous with rich storytelling, so Dragon's Dogma 2 would do well to flesh out something more compelling to fill out the dozens of hours players would spend in the game
  • Dragon's Dogma, by nature of being a professed cult-classic game, is admittedly niche: At the time, it didn't seem likely that the game would ever get a sequel, so some fans are expectedly hoping that DD2 is both an excellent game in its own right and the breakout success the series needs. I hope this game blows up and sells tens of millions and we end up the stuff from the first one with all the crazy s*** that was cut. This is referencing that the original game was reportedly twice its final size, meaning that director Itsuno was forced to cut much of its content. Remakes are more popular than ever in the industry, so perhaps a fully-realized rendition of the first game wouldn't be too farfetched for the distant future.
  • Expanding on the already excelent character creation possibilities: More expanded and customizable (as opposed to... was it one you customized and then the other two you just had to pick from other peoples'?). It’s so rare to get multiple AI teammates so that should be a hook in itself." It seems like an instant hit of a feature, and it would be poetic for Dragon's Dogma 2 to use its contemporaries as inspiration while simultaneously setting itself apart for a new age.
  • Expanding the Open World with RE Engine: It's no secret how massive of an impact FromSoftware's latest dark-fantasy RPG Elden Ring had on the gaming community. It elevated open-world games, combat, and more to the next level, and some fans are hoping that Dragon's Dogma 2's development will take some inspiration from it. My prayer is that with the recent mega-success of Elden Ring, Capcom will look at that, Dragons Dogma 2, and a lightbulb will go off in their head. Not that DD2 will ever reach Elden levels of success, but you know."It's an incredibly high standard to meet, let alone exceed, but it doesn't need to emulate Elden Ring to succeed on its terms. However, since DD2 will also be an open-world dark-fantasy RPG, it's a good rough outline to follow.

Last edited:

ungalo

No, because DD is way more japanese than ER mechanically. I'm sure that even if Capcom made some efforts to appeal to a bigger audience most people will still find the game mix pretty weird.

What's incredibly appealing with ER especially for a large western audience is the world, in DD besides a few big bosses it's going to be hard to match that appeal.

SEGA_2012

I mean Itsuno-san is making so we can trust him, he is a incredible creator and the only one who knows how to handle the RE engine (DMCV is a proof of that).

But at same time we have to take care with Modern Capcom. They are always ready to destroy something that was once good.

Lux R7

i think it will do fine in terms of sales, i don't think it's going to be another ER in terms of general success.
Having said that, it's probably gonna be the game of my life, and i say this as a HUGE ER/Souls and From fan. 'Cause DD1 is still up there for me, and if DD2 is even better, well...

gothmog

Gold Member
No, because DD is way more japanese than ER mechanically. I'm sure that even if Capcom made some efforts to appeal to a bigger audience most people will still find the game mix pretty weird.

What's incredibly appealing with ER especially for a large western audience is the world, in DD besides a few big bosses it's going to be hard to match that appeal.
Lol. Someone asked me about DD yesterday and I explained it as a great game with shitty mechanics. It's like Monster Hunter for me. Looks like a game I'd be all over but I just can't get past how weird playing it feels.

Macaron

Banned
I had never heard of this game, but the showcase for DD2 was so good I bought the first. Can't imagine im the only one either, so hopefully they build off that momentum and this is as awesome as it looked.

Aldric

It's never going to be as popular as Elden Ring because Souls games are mechanically simplistic which means that every clod on Twitch can play and beat the game and think he's a hardroere gaymer. DD is a Capcom game so it means relatively complex and deep combat mechanics which will hurt it ultimately.

That being said it's probably going to be much more successful than the first game, might reach RE level.

jimmypython

Not sure if I remember it correctly…but the original game had some weird balancing decisions, like defence calculation or leveling balance etc. maybe it’s its signatures. But I hope they are making this next one less weird

StueyDuck

If it plays as badly as the original it definitely won't be.

The game has amazing potential but plays like poop

stn

As long as it is a good game on its own, that's all I want. I loved the first one. Just hope there's a proper story this time.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
You had to buy those teleporting stones you could place around the open-world, right?

Correct, you can buy them, you can find some in the world as well. It really emphasized that you need to be able to go to specific points and not everywhere willy nilly.

Dark Arisen made it easier but it's a very innovative way to tackle fast travel in an open world game.

The world building in the original is really quite bad. The combat is excellent, I agree. Does Capcom have it in them to create an amazing world?

Kurotri

I tried to see what was up with Dragon's Dogma since everyone was saying it was some sort of hidden gem and I absolutely hated it. Felt very awkward to play and bored me out of my mind. This sequel just looks like it builds on top of that, so I heavily doubt it's gonna get anywhere near close to Elden Ring.

Astral Dog

That’s weirdest thing I heard all day.
If anything i felt the game was kinda 'Western' i found the world ,dialogue and characters to be plain,and the open world mechanics tedious

But maybe he means,Japanese as in the combat system? Because it is pretty good!

Also while Elden Ring may look 'typical' european fantasy ,the art design like Dark Souls series was inspired by the Berserk Manga and other similar sources, i doubt any western developer would just create such a game world

Last edited:

vpance

Design wise I would be very surprised if there's anything close to level of Stormveil. From that trailer the game seems kind of low budget TBH.

Aldric

The world building in the original is really quite bad. The combat is excellent, I agree. Does Capcom have it in them to create an amazing world?
You mean an amazing world like the completely dead wasteland full of nothing but terrible quests Miyazaki has been copypasting since 2011? Yeah I think Capcom can easily do better than that.

op: it's sorta traditional in these 'this is going to be the next this' threads that the original post starts with the phrase 'hear me out'. something to remember for next time...

Mr Hyde

Biggest banger of the show. I knew it was in the pipeline but to see it in action was on another level. One of my favorite games of all time, I have several hundred hours across PS3, PS4 and Switch. It's also reassuring that Capcom is currently on a golden streak, so DD2 is most likely gonna come out top notch and with guns (or magic arrows) blazing.

Braag

eeeh, I kinda doubt it. I feel like the mechanics in ER are better designed and built than the RPG mechanics in DD.
In DD if memory serves me right, everything was VERY gear dependent. If the enemy had higher def than your weapon dmg, then you barely could do a dent on the enemy. Not knowing that, it might make one think that the enemies are super spongy or really hard to kill. Also I feel like weaknesses play a much bigger role in DD too.
So DD involved a lot of grinding for better gear, I feel like a mechanics like that aren't as intuitive to a new player or someone who isn't as versed with RPGs.

Damn. Hopefully Elden Ring 2 will be the next Dragon's Dogma so that fans are not let down.
If Elden Ring 2 managed to get the Dragons Dogma climbing mechanics down, I would be over the moon.

If it managed to get botw style climbing and gliding down...

But I doubt from will pull that off.

I keep trying to get into DD but it's too Japanese. Elden Ring is the opposite.

I'd never imagine seeing someone using "too Japanese" as a negative description of a video game.

It's like we've been transported in time back to the early PS3 gen when the western gaming media suddenly developed a hate boner for non-Nintendo Japanese games.

Neilg

• Expanding on the already excelent character creation possibilities: More expanded and customizable (as opposed to... was it one you customized and then the other two you just had to pick from other peoples'?).

Uh this makes me think you missed the point of the pawn system. Using other peoples was such a huge and important part of the game.

Can't fucking for this. But I hope the game is not dark as fuck at night like dark arisen :messenger_grinning_squinting:

This is also really critical and important to keep... the sun setting is supposed to be an 'oh shit we cant be here after dark' moment.
The game shouldn't have easy fast travel. prepping for a journey to a new town, cleaning up all loose ends and heading out first thing in the morning to ensure you've got enough time to get there is one of the most unique things about the first. Getting more confident on a repeat journey and getting caught in the dark after a detour was genuinely thrilling. zipping back and forth with fast travel and skipping all that just seems to miss the point of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom