• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma 2 is going to be the next Elden Ring

RavageX

So, do most of the dark souls types have towns that you can go and talk to villagers, taverns and inns? No?

Thats why i dislike most of them. DD has that. I like going to a town to chill after extensive dungeon crawling.

Fast travel SHOULD make sense. A form of teleportation that is explained, or an image of you traveling, time passage. A lot of games are lazy...you just pop-up.

Methos#1975

There's no chance it's as good as Elden Ring. First one was average at best.
This is a very untrue statement. I love Elden Ring but Dragon Dogma was magic then and it's still magical today. I'm replaying it now on the XSX actually because of the DD2 announcement and it still nails so many things correctly out the gate that modern RPGS still fumble with. It is Imo just as revolutionary in open world design as BotW. And the pawn system to this day is unmatched.

Ic3man

This is a very untrue statement. I love Elden Ring but Dragon Dogma was magic then and it's still magical today. I'm replaying it now on the XSX actually because of the DD2 announcement and it still nails so many things correctly out the gate that modern RPGS still fumble with. It is Imo just as revolutionary in open world design as BotW. And the pawn system to this day is unmatched.
Reviews says otherwise

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Website for the game has me really optimistic. I'm hoping for a leap in design that occurred with MHW for DD2, both in terms of being able to do do more with more and appeal to a wider audience without losing the core of what made the game good in the first place. DD came out in 2012 which is ancient in tech terms (that was what, XBOX360/PS3 era). Also really positive that the pawn system, as it existed in DD, is being brought back with a modern flair no doubt (100% the chatty pawns are going to be in, but it is going to be less complex and more clear on how to interact with your pawns AI behavior - at least your primary one).

Graphically, game is clearly a leap over DD from just that opening shot in the forest along the road, but the modeling work looks really quite good in this as well (while still maintaining the look of the original game).

Reviews says otherwise

Reviews by whom? STEAM has the game at 90% which is well within "gamer approved" levels (unless you think all 25K reviews are from people with "low standards"). Among critiques the original has decent enough reviews; it is the DARK ARISEN package that was ported to the PC firmly sitting in the STRONG and RECOMMENDED category in OpenCritic.

. . .by any metric, gamer or journalist, DD is a solid title whose sequel can benefit from some of the creative streak that CAPCOM seems to be on (bringing MH to a larger audience on stronger hardware and embracing the design influence in MH:SB, the whole RE remake goldmine, return to RE's roots with 7 and 8, the pivot of DMC5, etc.).

Last edited:

Majukun

i consider dragon's dogma a decent game, whose lack of recognition and financial success swayed way too much in the other direction later and ended up being depicted as some kind of lost masterpiece.

it was ambitious, it had some very cool and peculiar mechanics, but it was also extremely clunky and not that in depth at the end of the day (can't talk about the dlc though, maybe that is the masterpiece)

this being said, the chances of DD 2 reaching the same amount of success and votes as elden ring it's pretty much zero

GymWolf

The first game would have been an Epic if it wasn't so clearly unfinished and didn't have so unfocused story and confused themes.

The characters spoke Shakespearian English, yet the opening was some Japanese Rock music.
The middle of the game had you going on intentional fool's erants for the majority of the time, most likelly to fill up the playtime lost from the cut areas and content.
The pawns need to learn a few more lines.
The the unique ideas of the game neede more time in the oven and bug fixes. How many of you keep ending up with madeleine while Mercedes is near impossible.

Should they had fixed those issues this would had been a masterpiece. Instead it could barelly run in the consoles released.
I know people have nostalgia goggles but the first game was kinda terrible outside of combat and some parts of the pawn system.

Performance on ps3 i remember being particularly nasty...

Last edited:

Variahunter

It will interesting to see how this and Rise of the Ronin can shake up the open world formula. Weak combat in open worlds will no longer be acceptable.

I hope Rise of the Ronin has fantastical enemies in it screw authencity. If you want that ghost of tsushima and no doubt it's sequel are over there.
I agree with your first take, weak combat in open world games is insuferable.

But I don't think there will be fantastical element in Rise of the Ronin like in NioH. It doesn't seem to be the theme of the game. Maybe there will be some isolated moments in the game where they add fantastical elements but it will mostly follow grounded and realistic themes.

The focus seem to be the town and the diverse interactions with its people, as well as the political changes from that particular era. Most of the themes might revolve around the modernity vs traditional dynamic of that period, like they already hinted in the trailer.

Sentenza

Mild fan of the first one and I can't wait for the (HOPEFULLY) vastly improved sequel, but NAH, DD2 is not going to sell a fraction of what ER did.

There's no chance it's as good as Elden Ring. First one was average at best.

The first one was already better than Elden Ring... lol.

Dragon's Dogma is a WRPG style game. It's audience cares about story, character development and worlding building. All these things are ass in Elden Ring and other From Software games. From Software game fans are not the same group of gamers that play WRPGs.

Fast travel SHOULD make sense. A form of teleportation that is explained, or an image of you traveling, time passage. A lot of games are lazy...you just pop-up.
Meh, I disagree. I find it annoying when games try to explain away stuff that makes no sense, but we all know is there because it makes for a better videogame.

Raven117

I don’t know…. That’s a big order. But I’m very curious to see what Capcom has learned over the past decade about open world games

Fbh

I'm really hyped for it but I don't think so.
It will probably do better than the OG but I don't think it will be this game that EVERYONE seems to be playing and talking about like Elden Ring was

Would be amazing if they did another Berserk crossover but actually included the dragon Slayer and Bersekrer armor and not some golden age shit.

Deerock71

No, because DD is way more japanese than ER mechanically. I'm sure that even if Capcom made some efforts to appeal to a bigger audience most people will still find the game mix pretty weird.

What's incredibly appealing with ER especially for a large western audience is the world, in DD besides a few big bosses it's going to be hard to match that appeal.
I wouldn't discount the effect George R.R. Martin had on Elden Ring here in the west, either.

Griffon

Nah.

DD's combats play a lot worse than FROM's games.
Dragon's Dogma was just lucky to release in a slow generation when we didn't have a lot of good choices for Japanese action games.

I liked Dragon's Dogma a lot more than I liked Elden Ring so I hope not. ER has some good things going for it but the world is kind of just dumb really, who are you fighting for? there are no real people anywhere and I couldn't tell you for the life of me what the story is about. At least DD had towns with real people in them and there was a little bit more of a story. I do hope that DD2 uses a bigger world overall, adds mounts and gives us a much deeper story than the first one. The only thing I really liked about ER was how the magic spells worked and how the mounted combat felt, otherwise I don't get the hype at all.

yurinka

Yeah, the first Dragon's Dogma was great and I'm pretty sure Dragon's Dogma 2 will be great.

It was one of the many games shown in the showcase that super likely will be super awesome.

I think it will be more successful than Dragon's Dogma 1, but I think will be far from Elden Ring.

Lol. Someone asked me about DD yesterday and I explained it as a great game with shitty mechanics. It's like Monster Hunter for me. Looks like a game I'd be all over but I just can't get past how weird playing it feels.
Really? It had better combat than souls mechanically lol some of you guys man...

We could have a DMC combat openworld fantasy game and people will still say "I dunno, those mechanics...Souls THO!" Lol

Its wild to me.

I'd never imagine seeing someone using "too Japanese" as a negative description of a video game.

It's like we've been transported in time back to the early PS3 gen when the western gaming media suddenly developed a hate boner for non-Nintendo Japanese games.
I kinda blame FROM for this tbh.

Before combat oriented jrpg's had stylish, deep mechanics with alot of creative options.

People who actually knew how to play video games were the ones who appreciated. Western dude bros stayed away.

FROM hits, maps attacks to triggers and strafing like a shooter. And here come the westerners suddenly. They never could deal with japanese combat before, but FROM games were basic enough mechanically that they could wrap their brain around it.

Dude bros are suddenly playing these games too. But theres a reason souls isnt as popular in Japan as it is in the west. They know...

gothmog

Gold Member
The thread title...literally has a soulslike by comparison lol I assume most are fine with souls combat, thus the comparison
I didn't mention it. I just mentioned the controls are weird. It stopped me from even playing the first game for a while. Dark arisen is when it finally clicked.

I agree with your first take, weak combat in open world games is insuferable.

But I don't think there will be fantastical element in Rise of the Ronin like in NioH. It doesn't seem to be the theme of the game. Maybe there will be some isolated moments in the game where they add fantastical elements but it will mostly follow grounded and realistic themes.

The focus seem to be the town and the diverse interactions with its people, as well as the political changes from that particular era. Most of the themes might revolve around the modernity vs traditional dynamic of that period, like they already hinted in the trailer.
I guess we will see. I just desperately want gameplay and especially enemy variety.

I will be so disappointed if we knocking around the same 4 dudes for 30 to 40 hours like in ghost.

It's why I am often not that hyped foe realistic setting it usually doesn't lend it way to good enemy variety.

Your character is basically a super hero in Ronin as far as ability so there playing loose with that. I hope they play loose elsewhere.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Dragon's Dogma? More like Dragon's Ligma.

GOTTEM

Anyway, I dunno about this. I played the first game and I know that it has its own fan base but it never grabbed me. I don't see the Elden Ring connection either. The first game felt more like weeb version of Oblivion mixed with some Monster Hunter.

Spaceman292

Banned
I mean Itsuno-san is making so we can trust him, he is a incredible creator and the only one who knows how to handle the RE engine (DMCV is a proof of that).

But at same time we have to take care with Modern Capcom. They are always ready to destroy something that was once good
What? Since when? That's the exact opposite of what's been happening recently.

Top Bottom