• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dragon's Dogma II will be releasing on March 22, 2024

Methos#1975

I really, really don't get why this is a single player only affair again...

We all remember how the 1st game ran on consoles (especially on PS3) and the concessions that had to be made so I can understand the absence of a co-op mode, but now ? What's the excuse of having again dumb NPC'S following you ?

I don't think that Capcom is thinking (or even afraid) that it could cannibalize sales from Monster hunter, I mean, they're pretty different as games go and yet...
Unless they're thinking of launching a DD Online 2 ? Fuck knows, still, it is weird that this will be SP only.
Because fans want a legit Dragon Dogma sequel that expands on what made the 1st great, not online crap.

I'm getting...
71g2Jy1B8IL.jpg
granblue-fantasy-relink-755721.1.jpg
persona-3-reload-758179.12_1024x1024.webp
6SEwcgJ.png
81ra5Ts25yL._AC_SX569_.jpg
metaphor-refantazio-ps5.jpg
87QCBnT.png
3max.jpg
dcm2n4b-e3c152a8-8056-4f71-9899-d6fc141a4676.png

And Elden Ring DLC if it comes out in Feb or March.
eldenringdlc-ign-1677617106615.jpg

Apollo Justice Trilogy can wait because it doesn't come with physical copy.

For some odd reason this is the first time I'm seeing the cover art for Granblue Fantasy Relink and Decapolice. They look dope!

granblue-fantasy-relink-755721.1.jpg
87QCBnT.png

How does GMG work? Is it a keyseller like cdkeys and G2A?
Yup, however GMG get their keys straight from the publisher which in this case is Capcom. They're as legit and safe as it can get and I've purchased many games through them before switching to console only gaming a few years ago.

image.png

Last edited:

KiteGr

I feel like I'm missing something. The world design looks like the most boring, empty and drab open world possible.

I never played the first one so I may be missing the appeal but at least art direction and world-wise, this looks as generic as it can get to me.
As someone who played the first and bought it again and again multiple times, here's how I see it.
The first game was intended as an Elder Scrolls killer. By that, I mean it had many aspects of oblivion, plus an amazing combat that was effortlessly cinematic without any quick time events. The world had certain random events that could happen, and it's also the only RPG with realistic and dangerous nights, so you hand to know what you are doing. It also had an amazing story that starts of simple and grounded, and like most Japanese games, it got to involve gods and multiverses at the end. It also had other mechanics like the Pawn system that offered asynchronous multiplayer, and an invisible affection system where the NPC you liked the most will appear in the final chapters, all that among other smart hidden mechanisms.

However!
While all those sound good, the budget and time didn't match the ambition. The game screems incomplete from all aspects, with the story making a nosedive in the middle sending you to generic quests for the majority of the middle, all roads end in gates you will never open, the affection mechanic was bugged, offted choosing merchants you often shopped from as beloved, while other desired NPCs left the game to early to compete, and generally the majority of the game being (or becoming with grinding) easy enough to not encourage any strategy from the player before the end-game, where all the mechanics shined. It didn't help that the generation of consoles could barelly run it, having the game run in pittyfull frames and with black borders on the screen. It also released near Skyrim, so nuf said.

Those who played, and eventually Capcom realized the pottential of the game, and released an expansion that offered a well put together end-game dungeon with high enough difficulty that allowed the fantastic combat to shine, and was dearly beloved for that!
Later the game got re-released on newer consoles and PC with the expansion and minor fixes, alloing it to run on hardware that can actually support it, and people slowlly began descovering it's pottential.

It was a slow acceptance, and the PC version has a big modding comunity, dispite the game being designed very counter productivelly when it comes to mods.

The announcement of a proper sequel means a game that would allow the pottential to shine.

As someone who played the first and bought it again and again multiple times, here's how I see it.
The first game was intended as an Elder Scrolls killer. By that, I mean it had many aspects of oblivion, plus an amazing combat that was effortlessly cinematic without any quick time events. The world had certain random events that could happen, and it's also the only RPG with realistic and dangerous nights, so you hand to know what you are doing. It also had an amazing story that starts of simple and grounded, and like most Japanese games, it got to involve gods and multiverses at the end. It also had other mechanics like the Pawn system that offered asynchronous multiplayer, and an invisible affection system where the NPC you liked the most will appear in the final chapters, all that among other smart hidden mechanisms.

However!
While all those sound good, the budget and time didn't match the ambition. The game screems incomplete from all aspects, with the story making a nosedive in the middle sending you to generic quests for the majority of the middle, all roads end in gates you will never open, the affection mechanic was bugged, offted choosing merchants you often shopped from as beloved, while other desired NPCs left the game to early to compete, and generally the majority of the game being (or becoming with grinding) easy enough to not encourage any strategy from the player before the end-game, where all the mechanics shined. It didn't help that the generation of consoles could barelly run it, having the game run in pittyfull frames and with black borders on the screen. It also released near Skyrim, so nuf said.

Those who played, and eventually Capcom realized the pottential of the game, and released an expansion that offered a well put together end-game dungeon with high enough difficulty that allowed the fantastic combat to shine, and was dearly beloved for that!
Later the game got re-released on newer consoles and PC with the expansion and minor fixes, alloing it to run on hardware that can actually support it, and people slowlly began descovering it's pottential.

It was a slow acceptance, and the PC version has a big modding comunity, dispite the game being designed very counter productivelly when it comes to mods.

The announcement of a proper sequel means a game that would allow the pottential to shine.

Thanks for taking the time. And I'm really not just shitting on the game but my first impression is kind of...why, how? But seeing that it's more about deep mechanics has me actually intrigued now.

I'm a little weary overall because I'm not as taken by Capcom's "return" in the last few years as others.

NT80

Is the reason you want to buy them day one out of support, or just a hype thing?
And even if you do buy them day one, nothing forces you to play them day one, so it's not a problem if they take time to beat.

I don't know, I just don't really understand why it's a problem, but I often play games that are several years old so I guess I just see things differently, I don't see why there should be a rush. Play things at your own pace, enjoy them, don't feel forced to rush everything when it's out just for the sake of being in the hype.
That's what I do. The backlog is too big and I'm currently playing Yakuza 5. I only got round to Dragons Dogma 1 last year on PC. In some cases it actually benefits me since the game gets improved a lot by the time I play it as was the case with DD1 and others like Day's Gone etc.

In some cases I do get a game on release though if I want to support it and it needs that early adoption support.

KiteGr

Thanks for taking the time. And I'm really not just shitting on the game but my first impression is kind of...why, how? But seeing that it's more about deep mechanics has me actually intrigued now.

I'm a little weary overall because I'm not as taken by Capcom's "return" in the last few years as others.
No surprise.
The visuals don't look special, but those who play the first one know:
  • The consoles didn't have the power support at the time the big wolrd, fast combat, multiple monsters, big monsters and monster climbing at the same time. The game being a little on the low spectrum on the graphics means that they have potentially learded their lesson.
  • With the original having gutted 65% of it's world, monsters, races and story content in development due to time, we are kind of starved for new content.
The franchise is essentially an RPG version of Monster Hunter in the style of Elder's Scrolls. (Thus the Lionmen race)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Looking pretty sweet, previously it just looked too much like the original with slightly fancier graphics but with the new videos it looks like a far more substantial upgrade than that. I hope the combat is a bit more skill based this time instead of stats being the be all end all but cool either way.

Lack of coop is weird unless they intend to make another MMO with MTX or other monetisation using the same base like they did with the first game. As if they couldn't keep the game intact and simply have partners take the place of a pawn on your end (and vice versa on their end naturally).

Last edited:

Laieon

The game screems incomplete from all aspects, with the story making a nosedive in the middle sending you to generic quests for the majority of the middle, all roads end in gates you will never open

This is by far the number one reason why the first game never quite clicked for me like it did for so many others, it just felt like the entire game was spent in what was originally intended to be the first area/zone of something a hell of a lot bigger and more ambitious. I definitely agree that the overall impression it gave off was just "incomplete", and going off of what we know now and seeing original vision for the game, that was absolutely the case.

Looking forward to 2 because everything I'm seeing is making it look like it'll be what the 1st should have been all along.

Unfortunately that’s not the cover art we are getting for west.

this is the official cover art for west release.
3max.jpg

Oh oki, I was a bit confused for a minute there. Now I really want the JP release since the covert art is sooooo much better than the one we get here in the west 💔.

As someone who has no clue what that game is, I disagree and think the wests' is one of the few cases where the art actually looks better over here. The JP release is just generic, boring floating heads.

Last edited:
Top Bottom