• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dredge. Thalassophobia the game. Gamescom trailer

Bwesh

Captain your fishing trawler to explore a collection of remote isles, and their surrounding depths, to see what lies below. Sell your catch to the locals and complete quests to learn more about each area’s troubled past. Outfit your boat with better equipment to trawl deep-sea trenches and navigate to far-off lands, but keep an eye on the time. You might not like what finds you in the dark…

Explore the Islands & Discover their Secrets

Starting from your new home in the remote archipelago, ‘The Marrows’, take to the water and scour the depths for curious collectables and over 125 deep sea denizens. Explore each area while completing quests and visiting neighbouring island regions – each with their own unique opportunities, inhabitants, and secrets.

Dredge the Depths

Someone wants you to dig up the past, but can you trust them and will it ever be enough?

Beware the Fog

Danger is everywhere, so watch for sharp rocks and shallow reefs, though the biggest threats of all lurk within the fog that cloaks the night-time seas…

Game Features:

• Unravel a Mystery: Captain your fishing trawler across a collection of remote islands, each with its own inhabitants to meet, wildlife to discover, and stories to unearth.
  • Dredge the Depths: Scour the sea for hidden treasures and complete quests to gain access to strange new abilities
  • Study Your Craft: Research special equipment and upgrade your boat’s capabilities to gain access to rare fish and valuable deep-sea curios.
  • Fish to Survive: Sell your discoveries to the locals to learn more about each area, and upgrade your boat to reach even more secluded locations.
  • Fight the Unfathomable: Strengthen your mind and use your abilities to survive trips out on the water after dark.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dredge is a fishing adventure with a mystery to uncover as you and your fishing trawler are shipwrecked due to an unnatural fog. Sell the varied fish you catch, upgrade your trawler, and uncover whats really happening in the fog covered town.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Set sail on this sinister fishing adventure, launching 30th March 2023! 🐟

Explore a mysterious archipelago, upgrade your boat, catch a unique collection of fish, and discover why some things are best left forgotten... 👁️

Coming to Steam, Nintendo Switch, PlayStation 4 & 5 and Xbox Series X|S!

Kadve

Reminds me of Sunless sea but what is it exactly? A RPG, a Metroidvania or a Rogue-Lite? Description almost makes it sound like a mixture of them
all.

(edit) wait here a second? How can a Lovecraft inspired game be rated E10? Sounds very suspect like there is actually not going to be anything scary in it.

Last edited:

Kusarigama

Pre-order is up for PS4 & PS5, game releases on March 30th! That's not far at all.

Edit: The game is also coming out for PC, Xbox One & Series and Switch on same date

Last edited:

Kupfer

Game looks kind of cute compared to what I feel looking at #thalassophobia content

mRBhUQP.jpg

nGnZgKy.jpg

22•22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
That's weird. I've mentioned having Thalassophobia in passing today. Coincidence? I think not! Cartoony look should negate some of it I guess.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

The developers of the Lovecraftian fishing adventure Dredge laid anchor at the Future Games Show to provide an overview of their mysterious exploration game. Dredge is coming to PC, Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo Switch on March 30.

Last edited:

Esca

This game looks pretty cool too me. Love the atmosphere
Just saw on psn it's $25 and seems to be reviewing well so far and looks good from the videos.
Think I'll grab this one since it comes out in like 5 days. Love lovecraftian

Bragr

Banned
Looks great, the only thing that holds me back a bit is the price. Some smaller games like this have a tendency to be strong for 4-5 hours then completely peter out.

Kupfer

Played for about 6 hours now and its really opened up. A pretty deep game for a mid-priced indie.

Payed 25€ for the physical release of the deluxe edition which includes

- Poster
- Sticker set
- soundtrack
- Blackstone DLC
- Physical Artbook

and even got a pre order bonus code which I don't even know what it contains.

If I get six or even more hours of good gameplay out of it, I'm happy with the purchase.

The game also looks like it could stream well to the Steam Deck via remote play.

xrnzaaas

Gold Member
So how is the story in this game? I don't expect it to be the main draw, but I'd like to be heading towards a certain goal rather than just keep fishing and exploring endlessly.

Last edited:

John Bilbo

So how is the story in this game? I don't expect it to be the main draw, but I'd like to be heading towards a certain goal rather than just keep fishing and exploring endlessly.
The story is told through text based dialogue and letters in bottles you find floating in the water.

The fishing you do in the game progresses the story making the story the driving force under all the gameplay mechanics.

Impotaku

Been playing nonstop since my cart turned up yesterday the gameplay loop is super addictive it’s like a mix of the sailing sections from windwaker with the horror from subnautica mixed in with the sanity effects from eternal darkness.

It gets veeeeeery creepy when you don’t pay attention to where the nearest dock is and you are stranded out in the darkness and there’s stuff stalking you.
Near the beginning there’s a little boat out in the fog I made the stupid mistake of going to see what it was, turns out it was a fucking massive angler fish going to wreck my shit it was using a fake boat as a lure the second you get close bam it appears.

Same in gale cliffs absolute massive thing with yellow eyes appear underwater & proceeded to chase me as I freaked out.

The risk been you are hit or crash into anything some of the spaces in your boat are randomly destroyed if there’s any items in them they get lost overboard or a bit of your tech like a rod or your engine stops working. Get hit too many times and you are sunk, luckily the game will restart you at the last port you docked at. Nothing worse been in middle of nowhere with a fucked motor moving at a snails pace back to safety as all sorts of evil illusions and sounds put the shits up you. Thankfully everything is just a repair job away when you get back to a town.

Love it lol

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Wasn't sure about it once I started, but managed to - while sitting on the edge of my seat - put about three hours into it late last night. The game gives the BAREST of direction (it does mark things on your non-dynamic map) for some tasks and essentially tasks you with, "Earn your keep, help out your community members, try not to get involved in some of the clearly shady shit going down."

. . .the art aesthetic in general is beyond top notch. If you love HP Lovecraft (no pun intended) and unstated horror gives you the wonderful creeps, definitely worth checking out.

Been playing nonstop since my cart turned up yesterday the gameplay loop is super addictive it’s like a mix of the sailing sections from windwaker with the horror from subnautica mixed in with the sanity effects from eternal darkness.

- SNIP -

Been enjoying the game myself, but there's definitely stuff that should be spoiled as that was a great moment for me when it happened and I realized what was going on.

Impotaku

Wasn't sure about it once I started, but managed to - while sitting on the edge of my seat - put about three hours into it late last night. The game gives the BAREST of direction (it does mark things on your non-dynamic map) for some tasks and essentially tasks you with, "Earn your keep, help out your community members, try not to get involved in some of the clearly shady shit going down."

. . .the art aesthetic in general is beyond top notch. If you love HP Lovecraft (no pun intended) and unstated horror gives you the wonderful creeps, definitely worth checking out.

Been enjoying the game myself, but there's definitely stuff that should be spoiled as that was a great moment for me when it happened and I realized what was going on.
No probs added a tag, yeah I guess that can be considered spoilers.

It’s crazy how addictive it is it’s like stardew valley addictive. Nearly maxed out my boat at dry dock but loads still to unlock in research menu. Only been to a few of the further out islands so far. So much to explore it’s a lot of fun.

Impotaku

Payed 25€ for the physical release of the deluxe edition which includes

- Poster
- Sticker set
- soundtrack
- Blackstone DLC
- Physical Artbook

and even got a pre order bonus code which I don't even know what it contains.

The key dlc is for the locked workshop on one of the islands, it's the island where a certain person lives that asks you to find a list of special items. In the workshop are some goodies for your boat that will help you as you start out.

And yes the physical is really nice, they put the effort in to fill it full of extras, wasn't even expecting a manual let alone all the other neat bits.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

DREDGE is a single-player fishing adventure with a sinister undercurrent. Sell your catch, upgrade your boat, and dredge the depths for long-buried secrets. Explore a mysterious archipelago and discover why some things are best left forgotten.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watch the latest Dredge trailer and see what the critics have to say about the recently released eerie, single-player fishing adventure. Upgrade your boat, sell your fish, and dredge the depths for secrets as you explore a mysterious archipelago.

Dredge is available now on PC, PS5, Xbox Series X/S, PS4, Xbox One, and Nintendo Switch.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

• 🎮 Black Salt Games has announced its post-launch roadmap for Dredge and all 2023 updates for the game.
  • 🎮 Fans can expect to receive four updates this year, including three free updates and one paid DLC.
  • 🎮 The first update will include an in-game map feature, and it is set to be released in May 2023.
  • 🎮 The second update will offer a "passive mode" for players who prefer a more relaxing experience, and it is expected to be released in Q2 2023.
  • 🎮 The third update, expected to be released in Q3 2023, will allow players to customize their boats, including paint jobs and flags.
  • 🎮 The paid DLC, expected to be released in Q4 2023, will focus on the lore of the Ironhaven Corporation and offer new buildings, characters, equipment, and fish.

Top Bottom