• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub - an 8th Gen Wonder that needs a PS5 patch...

Aenima

When you driving a ferrari in the rain and the car is sliding like a ballerina on ice, you know you fucked up at making a good arcade game.

They should have comited to making a true arcade game and not add mixed sim physics that ruined the fun.

Yeah, rain weather effects are still the best i seen, but thats the only thing i can praise about Driveclub.
Motorstorm was a much superior arcade racer.

Anyway, anyone that didnt bought it, now can only get it in physical format.

Last edited:

Thief1987

Why does this game look like a ps5 game? If I'm reading right, still has not been a ps5 patch so the footage in that video is essentially ps4 footage but it looks like it could be a native ps5 game to me.

No, it doesn't looks like a ps5 game. And i thought that it's one of the best looking game of last gen. I installed it few days ago after not playing it for 3 years and it looks very blurry on 4k screen, low texture filtering, horrible aliasing, aggressive LOD etc. Honestly i was surprised, because in my memory it looked much better. Game clearly shows its years. Weather effects and clouds still look great.

This game should've never had multiplayer.

Also, just be happy enough it runs on the PS5.

DriveClub could've been an amazing franchise and I love it dearly. I have all the DLC including Bikes and I've completed every race with 3 stars and have over 500 hours of gameplay logged. It was truly a masterpiece of a game.

A lot of people said it had no soul, but I kinda liked that it wasn't all in your face with announcers and stuff. I also like to keep the music off because I just want the raw racing. No hud either.

Here's what DriveClub would look like in 4K. If anyone has any screenshots they want in 4K, let me know. My software works miracles. Check out the shot below.
KJEXd6w.jpg

evanft

They also need to fix wheel control in the game. It just feels so wrong compared to something like Gran Turismo.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
When drive club looks good its really good but its only in certain conditions and i am a fan of the game. Raining it looks awesome but just standard daytime looks ok. If it was ever to get a patch i would love to see some upgrades to

Monokrom

Driveclub is a great game with great visuals. Had lots of fun with it, i got the platinum trophy too.
But Sony was not satisfied and it's gone.

5256942.jpg

Audiophile

Absolutely criminal that this game hasn't even got a Pro patch, let a lone a PS5 one.

The studio is closed and one excuse I've heard is that there'd be issues going to the source code because no on familiar with it is there. Which, really...!? It was made ~7 years back, not in the 90s. Someone at Sony should have the means to go back and update the resolution and framerate settings. DC was even planned for 60fps until not long before release.

My assumption is licensing is the main issue they haven't bothered to update it or even make it available for purchase any more. Sony's lack of respect for their heritage, the hard work of former devs and customers who love their games is irritating. It shouldn't just be a simple 'business-profit' calculation but these decisions should take into account the confidence of existing and future devs under their umbrella; ensuring their creations remain accessible and reasonably well supported moving forward.

I can only recommend Whitelight's very recent video on Driveclub.

While I do believe that this game is a little overrated amongst PS fans, Whitelight has a very convincing way to sell it as the 2nd coming of Christ.

Audiophile

No game I've played has ever replicated the sense of speed. It may be a simcade that leans a little more to the 'cade and many other games may replicate (simulate) the real world mechanics of the car and track better. But, Driveclub is the game that comes the closest to how it actually feels to drive a car fast.

Sims like GT and Forza MS get the praise for simulating driving and yet once you remove the fear aspect I'd argue cars are actually easier to drive in real life than these games; I don't think I've ever come across a car that handles like they do in those games. They have an artificially inflated difficulty and stiffness that is conflated with realism, just because 'real = harder', supposedly..

Akira1983

Banned
Literally my 2nd favorite arcade racing game of all time

Even though there are objectively better looking games all over the PS4, it was probably the most "holy shit this is next gen" experiences i had on the system, especially on a night race in the snow, or overcast in the rain. the effects and lighting was just SOOO good

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
It will never happen, but I wish with things like this Sony would say, OK put your money where your mouth is. Here is the budget required to make this game 4K/60fps with a patch, now here is a link to a crowdfunding platform. If you reach the goal we will do it, and every $ over goes to charity.

spyshagg

Should not be allowed to breed
Emulation is our only hope now, if it ever happens for PS4 games. Maybe even someone captured network data packets so we can make our own servers (like warhawk!).

But even in 2021 the Motorstorm games are hard to emulate and run full of bugs.

Hopefully one day.

giphy.gif

DriveClub007.gif

Last edited:

Whitecrow

Banned
Besides image quality, based purely on looks as a whole, it shits on GT7
The only thing that everyone should agree on, is that the lighting and illumination systems are still unmatched.
Car sounds are also top tier.

Gameplay and asset quality may be debatable, and are obviously limited by the lack of power, but technically speaking the game shits on everything else.

yurinka

It was an awesome game. Sadly it didn't perform good enough because they released it too soon and had important issues at launch. If would have been released later with extra stuff they fixed or added post launch it would have performed way better. Evolution would be alive and we'd have gotten a PS5 patch and pretty likely a sequel. But sadly it didn't happen.

Romulus

Meanwhile forza still fails at looking better then this ps4 game 😂
Heck i don’t even think GT looks close 😀🤓🤌

I definitely agree outside of pushing higher resolutions and framerates. Even with my PC and ps5 my brother and his wife still talk about the first time they saw driveclub, and use it as a reference to how little tech has progressed in such a long time. "That game still looks better than most anything." And that's running on complete shit hardware. Even in 2013 the ps4 was borderline trash.

Sad. Must absolutely suck to be a gaming tech fan this day in age with diminished returns and now cov19.

Last edited:
Top Bottom