• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DriveClub - an 8th Gen Wonder that needs a PS5 patch...

skit_data

I have a feeling Driveclub is quite a lot further down on the list than for example Bloodborne and even that one is no where in sight.

Ozrimandias

I think Sony is looking for an exaggerated return on investment and profit with certain projects, I mean, if the project is
not an immediate blockbusters, they take away their support. An example is Driveclub, PS Vita, Bluepoint Games, Motorstorm, Siren or Japan Studio, Bend Studios or Days Gone, PS1 & PS2 Classics.
Yesterday I played Driveclub and I think that in addition to the servers being turned off, Evolution is no longer Sony's 1st party, nor is it Ready at Dawn who had done a good job with The Order.

ReBurn

Gold Member
DriveClub is the Dreamcast of games - a game that hardly anyone cared about until it failed, then people started loving more and more.
I don't think so. Not really. People cared deeply about it at the time and it sold a lot of copies despite the issues. Most arcade racing fans seemed to really want it to succeed. There does seem to be a lot of rose tinted memory and that's not so bad.

The thing about the game is that it was only ever mostly good after everything they put into in to it to fix it. It was pretty clear at the time they put more into effort into individual raindrop physics and pre-rendered puddle reflections in the weather DLC than making the club progression aspect of the game compelling Even after fixing the servers the online aspect was never really great to me. They should have delayed another year.

As a single player arcade racer it was ok but (unlike most folks it seems) I never felt as though the extreme motion blur gave the game a true sense of speed. To me it always felt like they wanted it to feel like panicked corridor racing at high speeds but the blur made it feel cheap and gimmicky to cover up being actually slow. That mechanic was good for Motorstorm where there was room to jostle for position but in DriveClub it felt claustrophobic to me. I can see why some people would like it because it kind of does the job but it doesn't feel authentic. The single player game was fun enough and for the greatest hits price they were selling it for shortly after release it was definitely worth the $20. I would have been upset if I spent $60 on it.

Last edited:
They should've sold it as an offline, single player game. I didn't even play one game of multiplayer in DriveClub, but I loved all the campaigns and DLCs. The reason why this game looks so good is the lighting, materials and weather. The assets in the background like water and mountains and stuff looked kinda dumb, but if you focused on the cars, the road, the lighting and attention to small details like the water droplets having actual physics applied to them, mirages appearing on the road, smears appearing on the windshield when the sun hit it just right, and dew forming on a car when the temperature changes from early morning to sunrise.

ArcaneNLSC

Why does it say 4k test? Have you ran a recorded video through an AI upscaling algorithm?

If so I'll watch it on my 4k oled.

I was testing 2 things here
I recorded it on PS5 to see if it just upscaled from 1080p PS4 version or anything
was testing whether starting record before race instead of capture after the race would record the video at 4K

At least you can play the single player. Sony has made GT7's single player online only which means when they inevitably shut down servers in a few years, that game will be unplayable.

Indeed. I still play it regularly because of that reason. I hope they change that decision about GT7. Or when they shut down the servers, they move everything offline.

nope forza 4 is not a bad looking game so is GT ..
but there is something about the colors of driveclub that makes it look a lot better.

yes yes 30 fps yes yes AA issues etc.. but the colorwork is out of this world
The AA killed the game at certain times of day and cars. But fucking God was still beautiful. I'm still glad for having all dlcs and the bikes expansion. I play it from time to time just to have some fun when I have almost no time to play anything.

Guilty_AI

At least you can play the single player. Sony has made GT7's single player online only which means when they inevitably shut down servers in a few years, that game will be unplayable.
Wasn't it just the carrer mode? If its anything like dirt rally 2 it would mean you could still access all the games features in an arcade/quick race/custom mode even after the servers shut down, though that would depend on the devs actually making all the content available there.

Last edited:

SliChillax

The only thing that everyone should agree on, is that the lighting and illumination systems are still unmatched.
Car sounds are also top tier.
No one has matched Driveclub for the cockpit view immersion. The hand animations and full turns of the steering wheel make it so god damn good especially when you counter steer. Games like Forza and GT the drivers looks like he's asleep and bored to turn the wheel. Why is this something that no one has gotten right except Driveclub?

freefornow

Game is dead
Studio is dead
The game lead went onto other projects, all of which died.
But i guess while Bluepoint is around, anything is possible.

SliChillax

I dare you to watch The Crew2 steering wheel/hand movement :D. Viewer discretion is advised, be warned.
I'm not kidding that's the only reason I got a refund for that game. Didn't even play more than 15mins that was enough to throw me off. Could have been a good game besides that but I couldnt care less, cockpit view was a crime in that game.

Last edited:

Tommi84

I'm not kidding that's the only reason I got a refund for that game.
Thankfully, I usually play with bonnet/hood cam so it wasn't too bad for me, but yeah. I can't understand what the flying F they were thinking with this. It's as if they have never seen a car inside

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Emulation is our only hope now, if it ever happens for PS4 games. Maybe even someone captured network data packets so we can make our own servers (like warhawk!).

But even in 2021 the Motorstorm games are hard to emulate and run full of bugs.

Hopefully one day.

giphy.gif

DriveClub007.gif
This should have been called Gran Turismo: Horizons or something… f’ing Polyphony…

makaveli60

No one has matched Driveclub for the cockpit view immersion. The hand animations and full turns of the steering wheel make it so god damn good especially when you counter steer. Games like Forza and GT the drivers looks like he's asleep and bored to turn the wheel. Why is this something that no one has gotten right except Driveclub?
This! I don’t really like 3rd person view in DC, I always play in cockpit view because it’s so realistic that no game matches that experience.

I never understood what all the hype was about this game. I didn’t think it played well (physics, controls, etc.). I suppose that’s personal preference, but many better racers out there. Additionally, it gets so much praise for the graphics. Plenty of beautiful gifs and photo mode shots. Then when one actually plays the game the graphics are good at best. Subpar image quality, many bad textures, low detail on environments, etc. Graphically, outpaced by many other racing games in the same console generation IMO.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
As much as it's an unpopular opinion, onRush is way better game from Rushy team.

Sadly he left afterwards and Dirt 5 is really poor game.

Whitecrow

Banned
I never understood what all the hype was about this game. I didn’t think it played well (physics, controls, etc.). I suppose that’s personal preference, but many better racers out there. Additionally, it gets so much praise for the graphics. Plenty of beautiful gifs and photo mode shots. Then when one actually plays the game the graphics are good at best. Subpar image quality, many bad textures, low detail on environments, etc. Graphically, outpaced by many other racing games in the same console generation IMO.

Playing well is totally subjective, since people here saying they played for 300 hours (me included) tells you otherwise.

And since you are on the 'only looking good on gifs and photomode' boat, I'm sure you didnt play it for more than a couple of hours and didnt see absolutely anything the game offers, because man, that kind of opinion is sooooo unfounded.

Playing well is totally subjective, since people here saying they played for 300 hours (me included) tells you otherwise.

And since you are on the 'only looking good on gifs and photomode' boat, I'm sure you didnt play it for more than a couple of hours and didnt see absolutely anything the game offers, because man, that kind of opinion is sooooo unfounded.

You are correct that I didn’t play the game very long. I just didn’t like it. Not worth playing a game I don’t like. However, are you implying the graphics get better the more you play? If not, then I certainly got a look at what the game offers graphically. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just not great. After seeing so many amazing gifs and photo mode shots, I suppose I had unrealistic expectations that the game would be somewhat close to that in gameplay. Lesson learned.

Whitecrow

Banned
You are correct that I didn’t play the game very long. I just didn’t like it. Not worth playing a game I don’t like. However, are you implying the graphics get better the more you play? If not, then I certainly got a look at what the game offers graphically. It’s not that it’s bad, it’s just not great. After seeing so many amazing gifs and photo mode shots, I suppose I had unrealistic expectations that the game would be somewhat close to that in gameplay. Lesson learned.
Gifs only 'lie' in resolution, because being so small it hides bad aliasing and such, but that's it. Game look like the gifs, just with worse resolution.

Also, think that the game features full day/night cycle, with variation in time lapse speed, so one track can have lots of different looks, and that shines troughought the insane amount of challenges the game have.
That's why I say that just with a few hours, you almost didnt see anything.

In this game speifically, I remember being with the jaw on the floor so many times, even when I thought I already saw everything.

But well if the constrols bother you so much that's ultimately meaningless.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
I can't remember how many time i spent on this game on the "time trial", i was always to search a new best lap to climb the on line ranking.

Really amazing game, please sony make me happy again

It's not going to happen. It's just one of those bummers. RIP Evolution, and thanks for the memories.

Hindsight is 20-20, but it should have been called Gran Turismo Horizons or something.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Mandatory: fuck you Sony.

Just patch this shit, I don't care how difficult it is from a legal point of view; fuck you.

This will hurt: if this was on xsx it would have been auto-updated.
If we're being honest if it was on XSX Microsoft probably would have taken it down like they do with Forza games. It's not like they renew licenses In their first party driving games.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sorry for the thread bump, but I think it is worth mentioning that for jailbroken PS4 Pro it is now possible to install unofficial 60 fps patch (well, up to nearly 60 fps, but still):

https://illusion0001.com/_patch/Driveclub-Orbis/

Struggle to see a difference… at least on this mobile watching the video. Maybe if it were locked 60 FPS?

To me it shows the motion blur of the original game was really just that good.

Top Bottom