• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS touchscreen stopped working. Any ideas?

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
I was playing Ouendan on the DS (awesome game), and I was on the final level where you have to move the stylus in fast circles and suddenly a portion of my touchscreen stopped working. Most of the bottom left quadrant doesn't register taps anymore.

When I try to do the system's calibration procedure it just repeats itself over and over again.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix it before I give up and send it in for repairs? I've tried the thing on the Nintendo site where you use a toothbrush to try to clean out any debris from the sides of it, but that didn't seem to help.

I want to beat that level :(

boo_se

ouendan has made my own touch screen go crazy. It actually spins the wheels by itself sometimes. Not so fast that it clears the last stage spin by itself though. :lol

NWO

olimario said:
contact nintendo and bitch. say you've come to expect quality from them and that your DS isnt quality.

You don't even have to bitch to Nintendo.

If it hasn't been one year since you got your DS all you have to do is contact Nintendo and tell them what has happened. They will send you a new DS and then you just put the broken DS in the box they send you (the shipping is prepaid) and it goes back to Nintendo.

(Oh and they take your credit card number incase you don't send a DS back for all of you out there thinking that you'll just get a DS for free.)

Dsal

it's going to come out of you and it's going to taste so good
NWO said:
If it hasn't been one year since you got your DS all you have to do is contact Nintendo and tell them what has happened. They will send you a new DS and then you just put the broken DS in the box they send you (the shipping is prepaid) and it goes back to Nintendo.

Yeah, I checked on their website at this thing where you put in your serial number and they tell you if you can do the send-in thing or not. I was just checking if there was anything I could do on my end without having to send it in first.

I hope it's not the stuff you do in the game that caused it to fail. Things do get kind of crazy with the spinning motion in Ouendan.

PkunkFury

For the guy saying it spins the wheel by itself, be sure you are not trying to play in replay mode and watching your previous wheel spins. This happened to me a couple of times when I first played the game. Having only a slight understanding of Japanese, after beating a level I hit the blue box in the lower left corner that said "re-play" in katakana, assuming that i would get to re-play the level. While playing I was hitting areas on the touchscreen and they were not registering, and I assumed I had broken it. When I tossed the stylus in frusteration, I noticed the games was still playing, and I was in re-play mode as opposed to replaying the game, so I hit pause and attempted to restart the level the way I normally do, with the 2nd menu option, but this only restarted re-play mode and I got confused again, etc. Finally I reset the system and things worked great.

That might not be why the wheel is spinning, but for anyone who runs into problems like that, be sure you aren't in re-play mode before you get too frustrated. As a side note, I'm suprised I haven't really broken the touchscreen judging by how crazy I've been spinning those wheels.

gameboya

^^^^^^^^^^^

hillarious!!

Nintendo's break fix exchange program was phenominal though, I had to do it to one of my DS's.

Top Bottom