• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS4 & Bluetooth adapter

FrozenFlame

So, I wanted to use my DS4 on my PC without a wire connection. Since I have a desktop, I had to purchase a Bluetooth adapter and I got this since it had good reviews and it was cheap. My issue is that the connection is really... flimsy. After a minute or two, connection is lost/regained/lost/regained/lost/regained... The bluetooth adapter is on the front of the pc (and already tried in the back) and the distance between the controller and adapter is like 2m. Has anyone had the same problem and solved it? Is it the adapter?

Kuranghi

Is there another adapter near it? Like one for a wireless keyboard and mouse or headset? Sometimes I got weird issues like that when I had the Dualshock 4 Official USB Wireless Adapter plugged in right next to one of the USB adapters I mentioned above (ie on the same USB internal thingie), I moved it over to another one and I haven't had the issue since.

TBH I had issues with 3rd party ones for ages and I just broke and bought the offical adapter, it was fucking £40 because it was going to be discontinued soon and the sellers knew that. Maybe you can get one 2nd hand now but I'd hate to see the prices there, check anyway. It was worth it for me because I've played 100s of games on PC with my (two) DS4(s), but if its just for casual use I don't know if its worth it.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
I just always use my DS4 wired on my PC, as I didn't want to deal with the wireless hassle.

FrozenFlame

Is there another adapter near it? Like one for a wireless keyboard and mouse or headset? Sometimes I got weird issues like that when I had the Dualshock 4 Official USB Wireless Adapter plugged in right next to one of the USB adapters I mentioned above (ie on the same USB internal thingie), I moved it over to another one and I haven't had the issue since.

TBH I had issues with 3rd party ones for ages and I just broke and bought the offical adapter, it was fucking £40 because it was going to be discontinued soon and the sellers knew that. Maybe you can get one 2nd hand now but I'd hate to see the prices there, check anyway. It was worth it for me because I've played 100s of games on PC with my (two) DS4(s), but if its just for casual use I don't know if its worth it.
Yeah, I have the usb wireless receiver for my wireless headset but they weren't close to each other and I already tried it without the wireless receiver, the problem persists.
Thing is, if something is between the DS4 and the bluetooth adaptor for let's say 2~3 seconds, it loses connection. I don't know if it's because the adaptor is weak or if it's supposed to work like that but it's annoying and something that doesn't happen with the ps4.

As for the official adaptor, I've just checked on two Amazon websites, it's 109.12€ or 98.99£, lol.

Fbh

Might be that the adapter is too weak. The DS4 connection in general seems to be a bit flimsy.

I connect mine directly over bluetooth to my laptop. It usually works well but every 1.5 - 2 hours it will just randomly disconnect

FrozenFlame

Ok, apparently I found the solution. Saw a reddit post mentioning that he was using a usb extender and it solved the issue. Luckily, I do have one so I gave it a try. Small test but it seems that now it works perfectly. Before, if I was to put my hand in front of the DS4, it would immediately block the signal. Now, even behind the chair it doesn't lose the signal. Obviously, I need to test for a longer period of time but it's a big improvement considering how terrible the connection was.

JeloSWE

The only Bluetooth USB adapter that I've had little to none problems with, and I've tried a couple, are ASUS USB-BT400 and they also have the BT 5.0 version coming ASUS USB-BT500. I warmly recommend it.

Though I've noticed that the signal can get interrupted with any dongle if there is strong interference from close by WiFi or other BT transmitters and if there are thick objects or metal inbetween some times. Still this one has given me the least problems as long as it's in line of sight.

Last edited:
Top Bottom