• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DSOGaming: Starfield 2022 vs 2023 Video Graphics Comparison shows noticeable downgrades

supernova8

Banned
Generally looks fine to me. Sure it's a slight downgrade but hardly (at least it's not Ubisoft-level downgrade territory)

The only big let down for me is the NPCs seemingly being less expressive. They don't seem to move (their heads) around as much and their facial expressions seem a lot more robotic. Definitely a shame because it's a Bethesda game so presumably you'll be spending a lot of time talking to NPCs. You'd think it was one area where they would want to go all out (and upgrade it) rather than tone things down.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Still gonna play it, lol.

People really need to pick up some hobbies if the only thing that gets their blood pumping is getting outraged overs some stupid crap like this.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Generally looks fine to me. Sure it's a slight downgrade but hardly (at least it's not Ubisoft-level downgrade territory)

The only big let down for me is the NPCs seemingly being less expressive. They don't seem to move (their heads) around as much and their facial expressions seem a lot more robotic. Definitely a shame because it's a Bethesda game so presumably you'll be spending a lot of time talking to NPCs. You'd think it was one area where they would want to go all out (and upgrade it) rather than tone things down.
Thing is that graphics have improved a lot and so has the NPC’s modelling and rendering which makes animation issues or lack of animation expressiveness more noticeable and jarring compared to say Morrowind characters.

adamsapple adamsapple before you get your knickers in a twist I am not saying they look like Oblivion characters, just that as the graphical quality of the characters Bethesda creates grew by leap and bounds this does also increase the risk of uncanny valley / people having more of a problem with main NPC’s whose faces are really good when still bit very stiff when animating.

Last edited:
Top Bottom