• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge - Features Trailer | PS5 (launches on January 26 for $199.99)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Can't tell if serious or not.

Serious.

I play multiplayer games with the back buttons on PS4 right now. I can't go back to not having them. Plus, I bought like 5 or 6 dualshock 4s due to stick drift.

Sony had me at basically any price with this thing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Does anyone else have hand cramps while using the DualSense?
Seriously, never felt that before with a controller. It's very uncomfortable.

I definitely get more tensed up than I did with the DS4. I like the DualSense overall, but something about its shape suits my hands worse.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Serious.

I play multiplayer games with the back buttons on PS4 right now. I can't go back to not having them. Plus, I bought like 5 or 6 dualshock 4s due to stick drift.

Sony had me at basically any price with this thing.
I'm just poor, but I just dont get how people can see through fingers with higher game prices, raise in console price, and higher controller price compared the competition can get people to say" instant buy without hesitation". Sony is starting to be Apple in the console market, because people are fine with it.

Besides the poor stuff, you are just paying more for stick drift by buying this controller, because they will be using the exact same stick system as the previous versions (which is also the same Xbox uses afaik)

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I'm just poor, but I just dont get how people can see through fingers with higher game prices, raise in console price, and higher controller price compared the competition can get people to say" instant buy without hesitation". Sony is starting to be Apple in the console market, because people are fine with it.
I think you're right here. It feels like Jim Ryan understands what PlayStation is worth and what they can get. It sucks for the public, but if he's right, he's right.

Besides the poor stuff, you are just paying more for stick drift by buying this controller, because they will be using the exact same stick system as the previous versions (which is also the same Xbox uses afaik)
Aren't the sticks replaceable? IE, cheaper to solve the stick drift issue than the DS4?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Hopefully someone makes Hall Effect modules for this controller
This is just wrong. Pro consoles, pro controllers... market segregation.
If this sells well and it will... why wouldn't they hold back features from standard controller to put it in the more expensive version?!
Why would they fix issues with standard controller if they can $$$ for it in the pro?
besides - Normal controller is very good and you can have 3 of them for the price
The market is already segregated with people playing on PS5s with some of us having high refresh rate low latency monitors while using 3 gig internet playing against people on base PS4s on old 720p TVs using satellite internet

I would love to see a PS5/XSX Pro come to market for even $1000 and give me 4k 120fps even on these cross gen games

i want one tombstone GIF
I want one with four back buttons.
Hopefully someone will sell a mod later down the line

Also 209 quid is steep

Last edited:

MScarpa

I'll never understand this new generation of ridiculous expensive controllers from 1st parties. I can't get behind any of this stuff. Just me being old I guess.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
The sticks are not causing the drift, its the controller under the stick:

joystick-till-dualshock-4-xbox-one-controller

thats whats causing the drifting, which isnt easier to replace than on the original controller. You still need to open and assemble your controller

That sucks. I thought the replaceable sticks would fix the drift issue.

I guess I'll just buy a warranty and replace it before it it expires. I still can't not get it though...I'll just be less enthused.

HTK

Banned
I'll never understand this new generation of ridiculous expensive controllers from 1st parties. I can't get behind any of this stuff. Just me being old I guess.
I don't think age has anything to do with it, we got my man HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 at 55 over here booty sliding, bunny hopping, cancel sliding in Call of Duty with his pro controllers. I just don't think you're into First Person Shooters that seriously to entertain a pro controller which helps by huge magnitudes in your gameplay if you're willing to try them and learn them.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't think age has anything to do with it, we got my man HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 at 55 over here booty sliding, bunny hopping, cancel sliding in Call of Duty with his pro controllers. I just don't think you're into First Person Shooters that seriously to entertain a pro controller which helps by huge magnitudes in your gameplay if you're willing to try them and learn them.
That first month or so trying to learn a new pro controller I was dolphin diving when I needed to pull out my secondary and reloading when I needed to crouch but I eventually learned those back paddles.

I will buy this controller because I play Hell Let Loose on PS5 and would like the extra 2 buttons but as long as it only has 2 on the back all my Warzone/COD type of shooters will still be on Xbox/PC

• Love
Reactions: HTK

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

thats whats causing the drifting, which isnt easier to replace than on the original controller. You still need to open and assemble your controller
That sucks. I thought the replaceable sticks would fix the drift issue.

I guess I'll just buy a warranty and replace it before it it expires. I still can't not get it though...I'll just be less enthused.
The entire module comes out that includes this part. Watch the video.
JfF1Sf3.png

Banned
The entire module comes out that includes this part. Watch the video.
JfF1Sf3.png

this would be so nice if they were hall effect sticks... but this right here is a joke, it almost comes across as cynical given the drift issues Sony controllers have from my experience.

I wonder if third parties will make replacement sticks for this that actually use hall effect sensors... that would make this Controller 10x more interesting in an instant

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I went out twice this week for dinner with my girl and it was close to $200 and the food sucked. So at least I know I'll be happy with the controller and will have it for a long time.
Was thinking the same thing as one of my favorite steak houses is Smith & Wollensky on Miami Beach and have dropped $200 on a steak there a few times for a single meal and with replaceable stick modules should have this controller for years

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
this would be so nice if they were hall effect sticks... but this right here is a joke, it almost comes across as cynical given the drift issues Sony controllers have from my experience.

I wonder if third parties will make replacement sticks for this that actually use hall effect sensors... that would make this Controller 10x more interesting in an instant
I have no drift issues, but this is a good thing for those that do. Cheaply replaceable, and I am sure third parties are going to be tearing down the schematics to get right on it.

legacy24

Does anyone else have hand cramps while using the DualSense?
Seriously, never felt that before with a controller. It's very uncomfortable.
yes I feel like the controller is too wide and the handles dig into my palms during a long session

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned

thats whats causing the drifting, which isnt easier to replace than on the original controller. You still need to open and assemble your controller.
That whole module can be changed with the Edge controller. That's why I believe we'll see Hall Effect sensors shortly after January 26th.

The_Mike

That whole module can be changed with the Edge controller. That's why I believe we'll see Hall Effect sensors shortly after January 26th.
But you can change it on any ontroller, so what's the difference?

Men_in_Boxes Men_in_Boxes believed he could fix drift easily by changing sticks.

You can change this on any controller. You just have to open it and change it.

Banned
I have no drift issues, but this is a good thing for those that do. Cheaply replaceable, and I am sure third parties are going to be tearing down the schematics to get right on it.

this isn't a solution tho. the solution would be to use better stick modules.

from my experience Sony's controllers are the worst when it comes to drift (excluding joycons, which have completely different types of sticks that are simply the worst in every way, they're so shit... like wow...)
in the last 3 years I had to replace 3 Dualshock 4s and my launch DualSense also already has drift.

and it's always the same kind of drift too, it's the left stick drifting upwards on all of them, most likely caused by playing shooters where you click L3 a lot while pushing the stick forward.

meanwhile my launch Series X controller works perfectly like a charm, the right stick is still so firm that I can set all my deadzones to 0, and no drift on the left stick even tho I play just as many shooters and click the left stick just as much while pushing it forward... more actually because I mostly play Fortnite on Xbox where I have Sprint on L3, while I mainly play Apex on PlayStation 4/5 where I use auto sprint and only have the Ping bound to L3... so my L3 clicking should be way more on Xbox than on PS4/5, because you constantly press sprint in Fortnite, like every 2 seconds or so.

I also read a while ago that Sony is the only one who uses a different stick design, while the Switch Pro and Xbox controllers basically use the same mechanism (or extremely similar modules).
so there's something the modules Sony uses that seems to be extremely vulnerable to clicking L3 while moving the stick. otherwise I can't explain the exact same drift issue that I now had on 4 controllers in less than 4 years, while the same doesn't happen on Xbox (I don't play Switch enough to accurately assess those Sticks)

the only time I ever had to replace an Xbox controller due to stick related issues is when the stick was so worn-out that it didn't properly center anymore, which takes years and years

The_Mike

€240,-.... Absurd. For 50 euro's more I get a controller bundled with a console.
Which console are you referring to? I can only imagine its a series s.

Prices in Denmark:

PlayStation 5: 830 euro
Xbox Series X: 520 euro
Xbox Series s: 268 euro

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Which console are you referring to? I can only imagine its a series s.

Prices in Denmark:

PlayStation 5: 830 euro
Xbox Series X: 520 euro
Xbox Series s: 268 euro
PS5 Digital with Edge: 700 euro - but let's be real, the Edge probably will be closer to 270 euro here in Denmark lol

The_Mike

PS5 Digital with Edge: 700 euro - but let's be real, the Edge probably will be closer to 270 euro here in Denmark lol
It's insane the price difference between the consoles are so effing big between xbox and PlayStation.

Is it like that everywhere or only in Denmark?

8BiTw0LF

Banned
It's insane the price difference between the consoles are so effing big between xbox and PlayStation.

Is it like that everywhere or only in Denmark?
The PS5 Digital is 457 euro, but the Disc version is 632 euro, so around 90 euro more than the Series X.

I guess in most of Europe the price difference is there.

I'll expect the disc version of PS5 with Edge bundled will be 900 euro, lol

Last edited:

Aenima

Aren't the sticks replaceable? IE, cheaper to solve the stick drift issue than the DS4?
Yes they are replaceable.

In the edge controller the entire stick comes out, including that part.

Last edited:

The_Mike

Yes they are replac

In the edge controller the entire stick comes out, including that part.
Seriously? That's a huge game changer as it's typically the part that breaks on a controller.

Can you show me where they show it?

The_Mike

El-DualSense-Edge-la-nueva-version-del-mando-de-PS5.jpg

You can switch just the tip, or remove the entire module.
Wow that's really nice. The main reason I have to switch controller is exactly because of that.

They cost 25 euros, is it for one or a pack of two?

That's a feature I'd love to see becoming a standard in future controllers.

I think I'm gonna get one. I really want the premium PS5 experience and have never owned one of these types of controllers. Going all-in this gen, I wanna see what the back paddle hype is all about.

Last edited:

fezgoeshard

Neo Member
This price for only two paddles is no good. After using the Elite 2 there's no way I can be alright without the full monty.

Top Bottom