• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Miyazaki’s Slave Miyazaki’s Slave One more question about the Victrix BFG, if you wouldn't mind clearing something up. I saw some you tube comment claiming that you can't map the back buttons to d-pad directions. Is that actually true, or did someone just not know what they're talking about?

The official instructions for the controller say the back buttons can be mapped to "any button," and the same instructions refer to the "down d-pad button" in a different section, so I'm hoping that comment was just completely wrong. That would be an unfortunate limitation if true.
I’ll check it out this afternoon/tonight and let ya know!

Just received mine today and I'm in love with this controller. So many options 😍

When you assign L3/R3 to the back buttons and you realize you will never click on L3/R3 ever again in your life

Hell Yeah Success GIF by Naughty Dog

9qeD7XU.gif

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Miyazaki’s Slave Miyazaki’s Slave One more question about the Victrix BFG, if you wouldn't mind clearing something up. I saw some you tube comment claiming that you can't map the back buttons to d-pad directions. Is that actually true, or did someone just not know what they're talking about?

The official instructions for the controller say the back buttons can be mapped to "any button," and the same instructions refer to the "down d-pad button" in a different section, so I'm hoping that comment was just completely wrong. That would be an unfortunate limitation if true.
I can program any button on the controller to the buttons on the back of the controller.

How I tested this:
Set the controller to "Wired" mode and connected to my PC.
Opened "Set Up Game Controllers" from Control Panel
Tested down on the Dpad
Followed the instructions for setting/mapping buttons (hold down profile button on the back of the controller then tapped the back button I wanted to map)
Set the back bottom left button to match "down" on the dpad
Returned to "Set up game controllers" from control panel and tested both the down dpad and bottom left button on the back of the controller. Both registered "South" on the "Point of View Hat" section of the properties window.

What I **think** the reviewer may have been referring to is the left or right analog sticks. You cannot map those directions to a button on the back of the controller (they are axes...not buttons). You can map R3 or L3 to any back button though.

6KlyK4D.png

I can program any button on the controller to the buttons on the back of the controller.

How I tested this:
Set the controller to "Wired" mode and connected to my PC.
Opened "Set Up Game Controllers" from Control Panel
Tested down on the Dpad
Followed the instructions for setting/mapping buttons (hold down profile button on the back of the controller then tapped the back button I wanted to map)
Set the back bottom left button to match "down" on the dpad
Returned to "Set up game controllers" from control panel and tested both the down dpad and bottom left button on the back of the controller. Both registered "South" on the "Point of View Hat" section of the properties window.

What I **think** the reviewer may have been referring to is the left or right analog sticks. You cannot map those directions to a button on the back of the controller (they are axes...not buttons). You can map R3 or L3 to any back button though.

6KlyK4D.png
Thank you very much for checking. At least that's one less aspect of this whole situation I don't have to be concerned about. I figured it was something like that, because every controller or accessory I've ever used that allows you to map back buttons has also worked with the d-pad.

It's a real shame the release of a controller that seems to be a great alternative to the official controller has had a "launch" that has been so poorly mishandled.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Thank you very much for checking. At least that's one less aspect of this whole situation I don't have to be concerned about. I figured it was something like that, because every controller or accessory I've ever used that allows you to map back buttons has also worked with the d-pad.

It's a real shame the release of a controller that seems to be a great alternative to the official controller has had a "launch" that has been so poorly mishandled.
I have not followed any of the shenanigans' but from what I gather they have pushed the release back several times. Some folks were saying it was because they (reviewers) have wanted the magnetic stick (hall effect) "guts" and/or the addition of bluetooth 5.0. I can see them doing the hall effect switches (after all you can just swap in stick and button modules) but I doubt they will add BT5.0. That is a whole new round of product testing, licensing (to use BT), and 1st party product approval.

I have not followed any of the shenanigans' but from what I gather they have pushed the release back several times. Some folks were saying it was because they (reviewers) have wanted the magnetic stick (hall effect) "guts" and/or the addition of bluetooth 5.0. I can see them doing the hall effect switches (after all you can just swap in stick and button modules) but I doubt they will add BT5.0. That is a whole new round of product testing, licensing (to use BT), and 1st party product approval.
Personally, my guess that it has to do with the covid situation in China. This is a brand new product that hasn't been made before, so any issues that slow manufacturing could really mess up the release, and I think they have. I would love if they sold hall effect sticks as well, though, or even high tension stick replacements. I've always wanted to try those, but never wanted to pay a lot of money for an entire pro controller and be stuck with them if I didn't like them.

Anyhow, you seem genuinely fortunate to have the thing already. I've been watching you tube reviews, and it's funny how many people seem to mostly be getting this thing for the fightpad, while I'm considerably more interested in the back buttons. What have your thoughts been on those, so far? Everyone's hands are a bit different, but they seem to have good placement.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
wccfps4controllerbackattachment_dgr6.620.jpg

Back Button accessory on PS4. I preferred something similar at $30 on PS5 instead of spending $200 for a new controller.
So odd how Sony handled this

When this attachment first came out I thought for sure we were getting 2 back buttons for the Dualsense or at least have this same type of attachment right at the start of the PS5

It must not have sold well enough to warrant a Dualsense version

Roxkis_ii

Man, after seeing the reviews, I am a little tempted, especially because of the company making the hall sensors analog sticks for the Switch also plan on making them for this controller as well.

But at $200, the battery life is too big of con to ignore.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Personally, my guess that it has to do with the covid situation in China. This is a brand new product that hasn't been made before, so any issues that slow manufacturing could really mess up the release, and I think they have. I would love if they sold hall effect sticks as well, though, or even high tension stick replacements. I've always wanted to try those, but never wanted to pay a lot of money for an entire pro controller and be stuck with them if I didn't like them.

Anyhow, you seem genuinely fortunate to have the thing already. I've been watching you tube reviews, and it's funny how many people seem to mostly be getting this thing for the fightpad, while I'm considerably more interested in the back buttons. What have your thoughts been on those, so far? Everyone's hands are a bit different, but they seem to have good placement.
The micro switches on the buttons (fight layout) are really great. Plinking or piano on them is very smooth and easy. I don't really use the back buttons either, bought it for the button layout and swappable modules.

For me, on the Dualsense/Xbox Elite/PS4 controllers the face buttons feel a tad mushy. When I drop stuff in a game I cannot be 100% certain if it is my fat fingers or the fact that I am not pressing on the meaty (middle) part of each button. With the buttons on the fighting layout the key travel is short but they also have great tactile feedback so you really KNOW when you press the button.

Woggleman

Besides the battery this is a great controller. It actually feels like less input lag though I admit that might be a placebo effect.

rofif

Banned
wccfps4controllerbackattachment_dgr6.620.jpg

Back Button accessory on PS4. I preferred something similar at $30 on PS5 instead of spending $200 for a new controller.
This was too cool and cheap to exist now.
Back button with oled screen that you can setup without any software?! so good even if I dont care for back buttons at all

Last edited:
The micro switches on the buttons (fight layout) are really great. Plinking or piano on them is very smooth and easy. I don't really use the back buttons either, bought it for the button layout and swappable modules.

For me, on the Dualsense/Xbox Elite/PS4 controllers the face buttons feel a tad mushy. When I drop stuff in a game I cannot be 100% certain if it is my fat fingers or the fact that I am not pressing on the meaty (middle) part of each button. With the buttons on the fighting layout the key travel is short but they also have great tactile feedback so you really KNOW when you press the button.

I've heard that. The layout reminds me of a Street Fighter IV madcaz pad I used to own. They made garbage tier accessories for years, until they tried to considerably improve things with that pad.

Anyhow, the reason I ask about the back buttons is one or two of the more critical reviewers said it's easy to mistakenly hit the back buttons. They generally seem to be the ones who barely talk about the back buttons otherwise, though, so I'm guessing they're just not wanting them there at all. They also don't mention that you can completely disable all four of them, if you want, so I'm guessing some people are reviewing this thing without reading the instructions first.

I've been playing a bunch of MW2 MP with it, and it feels really good. Though in the name of science I'm going to switch back to my regular Dualsense to see if it's a placebo.

I've been playing a bunch of MW2 MP with it, and it feels really good. Though in the name of science I'm going to switch back to my regular Dualsense to see if it's a placebo.
I'd suggest trying jump on the left paddle, and reload / pickup on the right paddle. Once you can loot and jump in a battle royale while still having full control over your movement and aim, you'll never want to go back.

Kvally

Banned
I love the heft compared to the DS OG. It does have a quality feel to it IMO with that added weight. Besides setting up my profile, I haven't changed any layouts yet on it. I just went straight into gaming. I will check out the sticks and software this weekend hopefully. My only negative so far is that the circle/square/triangle/x buttons are a bit clicky/loud and have a cheap feel to them, while the rest of the controller does not.

I'd suggest trying jump on the left paddle, and reload / pickup on the right paddle. Once you can loot and jump in a battle royale while still having full control over your movement and aim, you'll never want to go back.
I don't actually care about Warzone that much really. Maybe I'll try it again though, have they done the revamp yet?

Ronin_7

Banned
My review:

Masterpiece 9.9/10.

This Controller feels premium AF, it's just amazing... Buying the 2nd one with the anual bonus which should cover tons of these 🤣

Really happy, still getting used to Back paddles but they feel amazing, are made of Metal.

The convex analogs are top tier, the regular ones i think are meh imo.

The triggers are business as usual, top tier but were already great on the OG DS.

For a first Pro Controller I'm impressed, EDGE 2 will be utterly insane alongside Dualsense 2.

Happy gaming Gaf! Oh & the battery is anywhere from 7-9H if anyone wants to know.

RafterXL

Not sure why you translated moderate to substantial. As someone who owns this controller I cannot tell a difference in battery life from the original.
As someone who also owns it, and has tested it multiple times, the difference is substantial. If you can't tell the difference you aren't paying attention. The battery is 33% less powerful and it has all the same features plus. It's physically impossible to be similar battery life.

Kvally

Banned
My review:

Masterpiece 9.9/10.

This Controller feels premium AF, it's just amazing... Buying the 2nd one with the anual bonus which should cover tons of these 🤣

Really happy, still getting used to Back paddles but they feel amazing, are made of Metal.

The triggers are business as usual, top tier but were already great on the OG DS.

For a first Pro Controller I'm impressed, EDGE 2 will be utterly insane alongside Dualsense 2.

Happy gaming Gaf! Oh & the battery is anywhere from 7-9H if anyone wants to know.
I got 4.5 hours before it notified me to charge it. I was done anyway so no biggie.

RafterXL

I got 4.5 hours before it notified me to charge it. I was done anyway so no biggie.
The day it got here it lasted 4hr15min from a full charge. Two days ago it didn't make it 4 hours playing Returnal. The most I've gotten it playing any game has been about 5.5 hours, completely without ANY dualsense features.

7-9 hours my ass.

P.S. anyone trying to buy a second one can't do it on the account they bought the first, it seems Sony is blocking more than 1 per account.

Ronin_7

Banned
The day it got here it lasted 4hr15min from a full charge. Two days ago it didn't make it 4 hours playing Returnal. The most I've gotten it playing any game has been about 5.5 hours, completely without ANY dualsense features.

7-9 hours my ass.

P.S. anyone trying to buy a second one can't do it on the account they bought the first, it seems Sony is blocking more than 1 per account.

I have the light on DIM, maybe is that. Also was mostly Apex & Fortnite which don't really use the Controller capabilities much... Put 2 hours into Dead Space though.

AddiF

Got mine today. Everything feels good and looks good but man the mushy X and Circle buttons are killing me. Square and Triangle are better but my standard DualSense controllers have bettter feel to the face buttons. It's as if the buttons are worn out or sonething. Anyone else?

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
My review:

Masterpiece 9.9/10.

Love the taller convex sticks myself

My real only complaint about this controller is I wish it had 4 total paddles but especially for a first time pro controller user 4 can kind of being overwhelming for awhile

Got mine today. Everything feels good and looks good but man the mushy X and Circle buttons are killing me. Square and Triangle are better but my standard DualSense controllers have bettter feel to the face buttons. It's as if the buttons are worn out or sonething. Anyone else?
My O and especially X also feel different on both my Edge controllers like they have a shorter cycle to engage them, worn out feeling a good analogy thought I was imagining things

demigod

Love the taller convex sticks myself

My real only complaint about this controller is I wish it had 4 total paddles but especially for a first time pro controller user 4 can kind of being overwhelming for awhile

My O and especially X also feel different on both my Edge controllers like they have a shorter cycle to engage them, worn out feeling a good analogy thought I was imagining things
I don't have the Edge but my O on the colored Dualsense DEFINITELY felt like this.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Soo you guys want everyone to buy an expensive controller.. then mod it to make it not so crappy? And that’s suppose to be okay? 😵‍💫

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Soo you guys want everyone to buy an expensive controller.. then mod it to make it not so crappy? And that’s suppose to be okay? 😵‍💫
I bought a PS5 and modded it
I bought a fairly expensive PC and modded it
I bought vehicles and modded them

Yeah buying a $200 controller and modding it to make it better is perfectly fine to me

TLZ

Banned
Exactly what I did to my stick-drifting joycons. Mod them to make them work.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Exactly what I did to my stick-drifting joycons. Mod them to make them work.
Heard this very argument with some friends while playing Hell Let Loose.

Buddy says "No way would I spend $200 on a controller I need to mod to improve it" since I said I was going to put those Hall sensors in it when available

Yet same buddy is playing on a PS5 he spent $50 on just to make the sides black and X amount of dollars on a 2 TB expansion for same PS5

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Miyazaki’s Slave Miyazaki’s Slave on your Victrix, do you accidently hit the bottom paddles? I see that its right where you would normally grip the controller.
I didn't really notice any issues (and I have huge hill giant hands). I just mapped L2/R2 (most fighting games that's a throw command ) to them and didn't notice any errant inputs.

I played a few hours of Strive, ran through some tekken combo practice, and some SFV. No issues at all with the 6 button module layout.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
So odd how Sony handled this

When this attachment first came out I thought for sure we were getting 2 back buttons for the Dualsense or at least have this same type of attachment right at the start of the PS5

It must not have sold well enough to warrant a Dualsense version

I theorize that Sony came to believe "back button gamers" are desperate and figured it was better to sell a 200 dollar product to us rather than a 30 dollar product.

PS4 BB attachment: 3 million sold @ 30 = $90,000,000.00

Dualsense Edge: 2 million sold @ 200 = $400,000,000.00

is it just me or are the rumble features way more aggressive with the Edge over the regular dual sense?

I switched to the regular dial sense last night and it felt like so mild compared to the Edge and I have them on the same settings.

My friends even heard the triggers through my mic rumbling.

Playing Dead Space with the Edge was a treat to say the least.

I theorize that Sony came to believe "back button gamers" are desperate and figured it was better to sell a 200 dollar product to us rather than a 30 dollar product.

PS4 BB attachment: 3 million sold @ 30 = $90,000,000.00

Dualsense Edge: 2 million sold @ 200 = $400,000,000.00

The back button attachment was amazing. I still have one new in box just in case I want to use a PS4 controller with the PS5.

One of the best products Sony ever produced.

I want a controller with a battery life that I barely have to think about. As it stands I prefer to play multiplatform games on my Series X over PS5 because the damn controller never lasts a play session... and this being WORSE at $200!? No thank you. That's just so freaking stupid.
Get a 2nd controller and a charging station, you can thank me later.

Woggleman

Everything else about this is great but the battery life is way too low. The wire is more than long enough to reach where I usually play and I am considering just doing a USB connection. I barely play an hour and I am already losing one bar. Does wired affect input lag?

Ronin_7

Banned
is it just me or are the rumble features way more aggressive with the Edge over the regular dual sense?

I switched to the regular dial sense last night and it felt like so mild compared to the Edge and I have them on the same settings.

My friends even heard the triggers through my mic rumbling.

Playing Dead Space with the Edge was a treat to say the least.
EDGE is vastly superior & amazing controller.

People here are pissed because they can't afford it, i already ordered my 2nd, instead of complaining online they should have gone to College but here we are 👍

Ronin_7

Banned
Everything else about this is great but the battery life is way too low. The wire is more than long enough to reach where I usually play and I am considering just doing a USB connection. I barely play an hour and I am already losing one bar. Does wired affect input lag?
Wired is vastly superior to wireless but i don't like playing wireless.

Sure. Sony is a genius company.
Include garbage batteries in every controller so you have to buy one or two controllers more.
JkvE5HV.gif
Of course you can just continue complaining about the battery, maybe write them on twitter and whine a little bit about their products, that‘ll do you a favor. It‘s either being butthurt for the next 6-7 years due to their garbage batteries or not, your choice.

I just thought you want a quick solution for your problem.

Top Bottom