• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense Edge | Review Thread

Of course you can just continue complaining about the battery, maybe write them on twitter and whine a little bit about their products, that‘ll do you a favor. It‘s either being butthurt for the next 6-7 years due to their garbage batteries or not, your choice.

I just thought you want a quick solution for your problem.
Why should I contact Sony?? I'm not buying this overpriced crap.

A quick solution for this crap would be to remove the garbage battery and replace It with a higher capacity one.

Only a matter of time until third party batteries will be released that fix that problem.

Butthurt because of what?? That I'm skipping this low effort crap product?

You delusional
gftT1Rs.gif

TrebleShot

What settings are you guys using on Dead Space? I'm using Precise on Right Analog, 85 Cam Sensitivity, Quick on Left Analog & Using back buttons to Switch between my main 2 weapons 🔥

Absolutely 🔥
Will try this, I had Dynamic on the Right with the higher concave thumb stick, lower concave for left stick.
Circle and Triangle on the back paddles for stasis pull and freeze - the Stasis mode.

Yours seems like a gunslinger mode, will give it a go.

Shakka43

If Sony doesn't do it I hope third party make 360 style stick caps and different mate color plates for the controller.

Forsete

How is your glossy plastic piece holding up ya'll?

I thought I would hate it IRL but I kind of dont mind it. I dont see a lot of smudge on mine as well. Then, I wash my hands often. :p

RafterXL

My Victrix Pro BFG came in today and like the Edge it's mostly great with one huge drawback.

PRO:
1) Shape/Build/feel. This thing is nice. It's extremely comfortable. It's shaped like the Xbox controllers, which I've always preferred.

2) Back buttons. Four, perfectly placed paddles with enough tension to keep from false presses but are also highly responsive and snappy. Just perfection.

3) Customization. The ability to swap sticks from symmetrical to asymmetrical is perfect for either style, it's probably my favorite feature. The fight pad is amazing and the buttons on it are basically mouse clicks. If you play a lot of fighting games this is hands down the best standard style controller made for them. There are multiple D-pads and all of them feel nice and responsive, no mushiness like the DS.

4) Battery life. PDP claims 20 hours, and I believe it, mine hasn't moved off 2 bars since I unboxed it. Not near Elite levels but substantially better than the DS.

5) Top shoulder buttons. Better than both Edge and Elite. Very snappy, shorter pull distance than DS and significantly better feel than Xbox.

6) Programming. No flashy UI but it's nice and simple. You press a button on the back, hold down the paddles you want to configure and then press the button you want to assign tothat paddle. Easy peazy.

CON:
1) This is the big one for me. We know it has zero haptics, but it also has no rumble at all. I can live without DS features but the rumble is something that games feel naked without having. If you care about this the controller is basically a non-starter. If you dont then it's a great controller.

2) L2/R2 buttons. They have 5 trigger stop options and at the most aggressive setting they feel great for shooters, etc. Outside of that when you use full, or near full, trigger pulls they feel kinda cheap and loose.

3) Connection. The controller is fast and responsive, but because it uses a wireless dongle it can't turn the PS5 on, which sucks.

Overall impressions:

This is the most conflicted I've felt about a piece of hardware. One one hand it feels better to hold, it has better buttons, both front and back, it has better stick placement, better d-pad, shoulders, two more triggers, etc. On the other hand it has no rumble/haptic internals at all, has loose trigger play at default depth and can't turn on the console, which means you'll need a second controller near-by on PS5.

If you are someone who plays shooters or fighters a huge part of the time, this is an amazing controller. It's easily better than any other PS5 controller for those genres...even the Edge doesn't come close for those genres. If you primarily play other genres it falls short of just about every other "pro" type controller.

If I could only own *one* pro style controller for the PS5, it would be the Edge, It's just better for all around use. I'm still undecided if I'll keep this, because I rarely play competitive shooters and basically never play fighting games.

It kinda sucks we can't get a single pro style controller on the PS5 that does everything it should. We either get less paddles and battery life like the Edge, we get no internals and missing basic functionality like the Victrix, or mushy, poor quality, paddles like the AIM. Kinda a bummer all around.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
How is your glossy plastic piece holding up ya'll?

I thought I would hate it IRL but I kind of dont mind it. I dont see a lot of smudge on mine as well. Then, I wash my hands often. :p
I don't notice the smudges so much but really wish they would have gone with the same material they used on the regular DS

My Victrix Pro BFG came in today and like the Edge it's mostly great with one huge drawback.

PRO:
1) Shape/Build/feel. This thing is nice. It's extremely comfortable. It's shaped like the Xbox controllers, which I've always preferred.

2) Back buttons. Four, perfectly placed paddles with enough tension to keep from false presses but are also highly responsive and snappy. Just perfection.

3) Customization. The ability to swap sticks from symmetrical to asymmetrical is perfect for either style, it's probably my favorite feature. The fight pad is amazing and the buttons on it are basically mouse clicks. If you play a lot of fighting games this is hands down the best standard style controller made for them. There are multiple D-pads and all of them feel nice and responsive, no mushiness like the DS.

4) Battery life. PDP claims 20 hours, and I believe it, mine hasn't moved off 2 bars since I unboxed it. Not near Elite levels but substantially better than the DS.

5) Top shoulder buttons. Better than both Edge and Elite. Very snappy, shorter pull distance than DS and significantly better feel than Xbox.

6) Programming. No flashy UI but it's nice and simple. You press a button on the back, hold down the paddles you want to configure and then press the button you want to assign tothat paddle. Easy peazy.

CON:
1) This is the big one for me. We know it has zero haptics, but it also has no rumble at all. I can live without DS features but the rumble is something that games feel naked without having. If you care about this the controller is basically a non-starter. If you dont then it's a great controller.

2) L2/R2 buttons. They have 5 trigger stop options and at the most aggressive setting they feel great for shooters, etc. Outside of that when you use full, or near full, trigger pulls they feel kinda cheap and loose.

3) Connection. The controller is fast and responsive, but because it uses a wireless dongle it can't turn the PS5 on, which sucks.

Overall impressions:

This is the most conflicted I've felt about a piece of hardware. One one hand it feels better to hold, it has better buttons, both front and back, it has better stick placement, better d-pad, shoulders, two more triggers, etc. On the other hand it has no rumble/haptic internals at all, has loose trigger play at default depth and can't turn on the console, which means you'll need a second controller near-by on PS5.

If you are someone who plays shooters or fighters a huge part of the time, this is an amazing controller. It's easily better than any other PS5 controller for those genres...even the Edge doesn't come close for those genres. If you primarily play other genres it falls short of just about every other "pro" type controller.

If I could only own *one* pro style controller for the PS5, it would be the Edge, It's just better for all around use. I'm still undecided if I'll keep this, because I rarely play competitive shooters and basically never play fighting games.

It kinda sucks we can't get a single pro style controller on the PS5 that does everything it should. We either get less paddles and battery life like the Edge, we get no internals and missing basic functionality like the Victrix, or mushy, poor quality, paddles like the AIM. Kinda a bummer all around.
Very good write up as I still await mine from Best Buy

I will say not being able to turn on the PS5 and having zero rumble is likely to kill this controller for me in the end

I never play fighting games so the added fight pad does nothing for me

Sw0pDiller

I saw that the batterij life was about 8 hours? How is that not enough? I'll even settle for 5 hours. Never play that long in a single sitting.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I saw that the batterij life was about 8 hours? How is that not enough? I'll even settle for 5 hours. Never play that long in a single sitting.
It is way closer to 5 hours than 8

I played Hell Let Loose mainly being in armor that has a lot of rumble and got 4 hours out of it

That said the battery isn't an issue for me

RafterXL

Heads up for people looking for a second Edge. It looks like they are allowing additional purchases now. Also, use the 15% coupon you got from the first and it's $30 off.
I don't notice the smudges so much but really wish they would have gone with the same material they used on the regular DS

Very good write up as I still await mine from Best Buy

I will say not being able to turn on the PS5 and having zero rumble is likely to kill this controller for me in the end

I never play fighting games so the added fight pad does nothing for me
Been playing with it a bit more, and yeah, I'm returning it. The fighting pad is AMAZING. Like the buttons are awesome, they're elevated and click like a mouse button. If I played fighters I'd definitely keep it, but I don't. And I don't miss the haptics at all but the complete lack of feedback with no rumble just feels strange. Of course, if you're sweaty into shooters or fighters that stuff doesn't mean that much to you but I'm only casually into shooters and I like a little feedback now and then.

In truth, most of the negatives aren't negatives to the people it's actually marketed for, but I figured I'd give it a shot and compare it against my other pro controllers.

Not even close to 8 hours. The previews claiming 8-10 or higher clearly never tested it.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There are Kia drivers and there are Lexus drivers. For Kia drivers, the DualSense Edge release was the most important event in their gaming lives but for us....it was only a Tuesday.

I think its a great controller and I would compare some of my vehicles to your Lexus any day of the week even on Tuesdays

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think its a great controller and I would compare some of my vehicles to your Lexus any day of the week even on Tuesdays

Friendly fire!

I'm rereading my joke and it makes no sense. I was trying to equate Dualsense Edge owners with having class and taste but I shoehorned the Street Fighter reference in so hard it broke the whole thing.

I can occasionally do humor IRL but I strike out more than I hit.

MikeM

Bump. Curious to see opinions a couple weeks into it. Hows the PC integration?

Debating between this and the Elite 2 but the Edge would be ideal for PS5 and PC.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
How? Just put it to charge. I’m not playing for 5 hours straight. When I’m done, just leave it on my charging stand.

How what? Factually, the battery life is shorter than the base DualSense. I pay that much money for something then I'd expect the single most significant weakness of the base product to be improved, not degraded. Like I said, if you are ok with that then that is up to you.

Last edited:
Pure shite!
Cord once a year, and not enough games.
When will Sony learn, such waste of resources!
They should concentrate on new colors for DualSense instead.:lollipop_anxious_sweat:

/S

PSYGN

Got my Besavior controller after 3 months wait.

It was only $150 for 4 reprogrammable back button paddles and also has a pass-thru mode to allow xbox and ps4 controllers to work in PS5 games that would prevent you from doing so.

I just got mine at the same time as the PSVR2. Maybe it’s just me, but the DPad feels a lot better than on the regular DualSense. More precise and refined to the press and less force required too.

Btw: best controller I’ve ever used. Love it.

Edit 2: actually, comparing dpads on both ds and edge with the console off, they seem to be the same. I think it was just the haptics making the edge feel nicer. Still, really lovely controller.

Last edited:
Bump. Curious to see opinions a couple weeks into it. Hows the PC integration?

Debating between this and the Elite 2 but the Edge would be ideal for PS5 and PC.
Unless they changed something from the Dualsense you will have to play wired to use all the features. I don't know if that's a deal-breaker for you.

MikeM

Unless they changed something from the Dualsense you will have to play wired to use all the features. I don't know if that's a deal-breaker for you.
Its not. I just want somwthing that will work with PC and PS5. I like the Elite 2 but its been proven to be very unreliable (friends and reddit).

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sorry for the necrobump but I didn't know any other thread to ask this.
Do you guys think and edge controller is worth it if I don't play a lot of fps or multiplayer games?

TrebleShot

Do you guys think and edge controller is worth it if I don't play a lot of fps or multiplayer games?
Yes, you can have longer sticks for smoother movement and accuracy as well as adjust the curve responses of the aiming.
Also adjusting the instant response triggers works wonders for getting your shot off quickly.

You also have more grippy handles so no slip in intense battles.
Its the best controller out there however the battery is a little annoying. I end up charging every 2/3 sessions of playing BF here and there.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes, you can have longer sticks for smoother movement and accuracy as well as adjust the curve responses of the aiming.
Also adjusting the instant response triggers works wonders for getting your shot off quickly.

You also have more grippy handles so no slip in intense battles.
Its the best controller out there however the battery is a little annoying. I end up charging every 2/3 sessions of playing BF here and there.
How much time did it take you to get used to back buttons?

Allow me to quote some of my older posts on the subject.

I think the whole "pro" controller thing is a misnomer. Just about everyone who plays video games can benefit from having extra buttons they can hit while still being able to have the full range of their movement. Using a paddle or back button accessory is almost a gateway drug, and once you've experienced it, it's hard to go back.

Playing a Mirror's Edge game on a controller will open you up to the world of "bumper jumper," and after you map your left shoulder button to the jump function, now you have one less easily accessible button, so you have to make a compromise with most games. And if you've ever found it hard to decide what functions to map to your shoulder buttons, "pro" controllers solve all of that and more. Once you're used to them, extra back buttons make everything feel more immediate and seamlessly smooth, from jumping and sliding to looting and dodging.

I rarely play a game that doesn't benefit from paddles or back buttons. In Monster Hunter I can pickup resources while being able to move the camera at all times, and I can have full control over my movement and camera even in mid-air. In Red Dead Redemption 2 I was able to ride my horse, reload my guns, and fire my guns, all while moving the camera around me and aiming at other riders all around me. In action games I can hammer on the attack buttons, while being able to map dodge or block to the paddles. You'd be surprised how much your reaction speed benefits from just not having to move your thumb from the square button to the circle button. In Horizon, I was able to jump in any direction while still being able to aim and fire my bow in mid air. In the first game with the slow motion when you jump perk, it practically broke the game. In battle royale games or games like borderlands, I can loot very quickly and comfortably while I still have control over the camera. Really, with any game where you're constantly picking up loot or resources, or you're blocking, dodging, or jumping a lot, it's going to feel better with paddles.

The more you use them, the faster you'll get used to it. I don't remember exactly how long it took me, but I'd guess a day or two. If you're not big on FPS, your best bet is to find a 3rd person game that requires a lot of jumping and aiming. I'd map the left paddle to jump, and the right to slide, or dodge, or reload, or whatever you think you'd most want to use while aiming.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Allow me to quote some of my older posts on the subject.

The more you use them, the faster you'll get used to it. I don't remember exactly how long it took me, but I'd guess a day or two. If you're not big on FPS, your best bet is to find a 3rd person game that requires a lot of jumping and aiming. I'd map the left paddle to jump, and the right to slide, or dodge, or reload, or whatever you think you'd most want to use while aiming.
Thanks that was an informative post.

Kvally

Banned

It's a nice little update to the standards DS5. Is it needed, no. But I love new toys. The conveniences of the extra programmable buttons are nice to have, but I personally haven't reprogrammed mine. I don't know if the rumble motors are improved, but at least in GT7, the feedback seems more intense than the standard DS5. Could be just my mind, but it seems a lot better in that regard. I will say that I was playing GT7 for 3 hours last night, which I started on a full charge, the battery was already down to 1 bar remaining when I finished after 3 hours of play. Something to think about depending on your game session lengths, and if you won't want to go wired when the controller gets low.

The additional weight of the controller is a nice bonus, and the grips seem improved. I was racing an F1 car in GT7 last night and I was holding hard onto the controller during a license test. Usually the standard DS5 might try to squeak out of my hands a little as I grip them, but this controller wasn't moving.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Unless you’re a major league gamer I would prevent myself from buying the dual sense edge.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Don't give up on the back buttons and honestly from my experience as a 55 year old I really struggled to reprogram my brain to use those back buttons and played really poorly until I got used to them but love them now.

Though I remember one of my elite controllers I had a nephew over and we were playing I think COD and his young brain took to those back buttons right away

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman

No way. If you don't play action shooters where jumping and aiming is important...spend your money elsewhere.

Ronin_7

Banned

I'd say using EDGE in a game like FIFA won't probably do shit. If you Play Apex or Fortnite then it's a must. In Fifa per example not really.

Kvally

Banned
I am floored by how popular drifting is an issue with controllers. Going back to the Atari 5200, I have only had 2 controllers that had drift. The first one happened to be one of my Atari 5200 controllers (and one of the red buttons on the side got stuck). The second one, which I wouldn't even consider drift, was the controller that game with my PS4 Pro. The forward movement of the stick wouldn't work anymore.

I am either easier on my controllers, or I don't game as much as others to experience the drifting.

Tams

Gold Member
Unless you’re a major league gamer I would prevent myself from buying the dual sense edge.

What kind of pish advice is this.

'Major league' what?

No. It's a great controller if you want the full DualShock feature set with some extras and have the money to spend.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
Hey lads, i I think we can all agree that the edge's biggest con (besides its MSRP) is the poor battery life, correct ?
Are there any good 3rd party batteries out yet for it ? The PAXO battery, unfortunately, isn't compatible since it's bigger in size...

cheers

I am floored by how popular drifting is an issue with controllers. Going back to the Atari 5200, I have only had 2 controllers that had drift. The first one happened to be one of my Atari 5200 controllers (and one of the red buttons on the side got stuck). The second one, which I wouldn't even consider drift, was the controller that game with my PS4 Pro. The forward movement of the stick wouldn't work anymore.

I am either easier on my controllers, or I don't game as much as others to experience the drifting.

Not really sure how one can really go easy or hard on a stick though, it’s not really something you can really inadvertently apply too much force to.

Last edited:
Top Bottom