• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DualSense on Android (Problems & Help)

Banned
This thread is all about the DualSense and using it on Android devices (Phones/Tablets)

So I tried the DualSense on android and it has a lot of issues with many apps (most apps).
the issue at hand is that android runs it in Dualshock 4 Type 2 Mode, which means that buttons are mapped all wrong. (Square is X, X is Circle, and I think Share is R2 etc.)

This makes it basically unusable on Xbox Remote Play or xCloud as well as most games as they all require DualShock 4 Type 1 Mode (I tested Max Payne and GTA VC). it will be detected but button mappings are so wrong that most games are not playable that way.

So for starters, it would be nice if someone had a possible fix for this that doesn't require Root access!

Connect your DualSense via Bluetooth to your device.
Download the App "External Keyboard Helper Demo" and map all buttons manually to the corresponding Xbox Counterparts. (I found a Tutorial using a DS4, but the DualSense works the same)

PROS: Works with many Android games, Max Payne and GTA work flawlessly this way
CONS: Does not work with xCloud or Xbox Remote Play, you have to change virtual keyboard settings every time you want to use it and change them back afterwards as it functions as a virtual keyboard

Download the App "PSPad - Mobile PS4 DualShock Gamepad" and follow the steps in the app to connect it to your PS4.

PROS: Works with PS4 with correct button-mapping out of the box, it works with many controllers while the official app requires a DualShock 4 (a wired one even on everything below Android 10)
CONS: Input Lag (it uses the PS4 remote play codec which has relatively high input latency sadly), doesn't support any advanced features like Rumble, Sixaxis or the Touchpad
EDIT: when connecting it using a USB connection the latency is greatly reduced

Last edited:

Banned
Can you use an OTG USB cable and play wired?

should work. I personally haven't tried any of the apps mentioned in the OP wired but that shouldn't make a difference if you ask me.
the info in the OP should be true for both bluetooth and wired

what I have to say tho is that the DualSense has higher input latency over bluetooth on my phone than the Xbox SX controller.
could be an issue with some android devices or android OS versions.

for example on my phone Switch Pro Controllers are basically not usable over bluetooth because the latency is literally multiple seconds! so your milage over bluetooth may vary

EDIT: Kuranghi Kuranghi so I dug out my USB dongle and tried the controller wired on my Phone.
and as expected it's 100% identical in functionality. the apps mentioned function the same.

this can of course reduce latency when using it which can be helpful playing on PS4. the wifi latency will still be there but at least the bluetooth latency will be eliminated. I might try this later and see how much it helps.

Last edited:

Banned

Download the App "PSPad - Mobile PS4 DualShock Gamepad" and follow the steps in the app to connect it to your PS4.

PROS: Works with PS4 with correct button-mapping out of the box, it works with many controllers while the official app requires a DualShock 4 (a wired one even on everything below Android 10)
CONS: Input Lag (it uses the PS4 remote play codec which has relatively high input latency sadly), doesn't support any advanced features like Rumble, Sixaxis or the Touchpad

so doing this while having the DualSense wired to your phone actually reduces input latency to a point where it's extremely low and not really noticable in 99% of scenarios.

if you wanna use your DualSense on PS4, that's the way to go IMO. it's easy, free and you don't need a lot of extra stuff... many phones come with a USB-A dongle these days for easy data transfer during setup.

just remember, rumble, touchpad and sixaxis are not working. the touchpad button works tho! even home and the share button work correctly

Last edited:
Is this for RemotePlay? I've been using a DualShock 4 for PS5/Android RemotePlay. A DualSense would be better if it actually made use of the features. Anyone know if it would work with haptic feedback, dynamic triggers, etc?

Banned
Is this for RemotePlay? I've been using a DualShock 4 for PS5/Android RemotePlay. A DualSense would be better if it actually made use of the features. Anyone know if it would work with haptic feedback, dynamic triggers, etc?

this is specifically a way to use the DualSense on android or on PS4. this will not work on PS5

the PSPad app makers also have an app that has remote play functionality for PS4, but that one is not free and I don't know how well it works.

on another note... so you can play PS5 remote play using a Dualshock 4??? this stupid limitation by Sony to not allow DS4s to be used with PS5 games on the system itself gets dumber and dumber by the minute not gonna lie

Last edited:
on another note... so you can play PS5 remote play using a Dualshock 4??? this stupid limitation by Sony to not allow DS4s to be used with PS5 games on the system itself gets dumber and dumber by the minute not gonna lie

Yeah, it works just fine. I use the DS4 to play PS5 via RemotePlay as well as GamePass on my phone.

But, why would you want to use a DS4 on a PS5? The DualSense is such a huge improvement and is a big selling point for PS5.

Banned
Yeah, it works just fine. I use the DS4 to play PS5 via RemotePlay as well as GamePass on my phone.

But, why would you want to use a DS4 on a PS5? The DualSense is such a huge improvement and is a big selling point for PS5.

of course it's way better. but what if you wanna play local multiplayer and not have enough DualSense controllers? but you have multiple DS4s laying around?

it's fucking stupid that they're not compatible, they are feature complete enough to work with any PS5 game.

also honestly, the Dpad on the DS4 is better than the one on the DualSense IMO, so for fightings games it would be nice to have that option.

it's a completely unnecessary and arbitrary limitation

PrimeX

Any new way to correct the dualsense mapping in Android?
I have tried the external keyboard helper method but it looks nothing like the tutorial video.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
tumblr_oq45b3jeBL1thrhjso1_500.gifv

Anyway, 2+ years after the PS5 release and this shit isn't fixed yet.

-Oneplus Nord on Android 12
-Dualsense connected via Bluetooth or OTG = button mapping is still out of whack.

How the hell, in the year of our lord 2023 this isn't yet fixed yet i will never understand, you'd think that Sony would support their own hardware/peripheral (Dual sense) but apparently not...

The weird thing is that Xbox joypads and Sony's Dualshock 4 work normally, it's just the G'damned Dualsense that doesn't - oh wait, it works normally on some phones but not others, what a friggin' conundrum...
At first i thought that - maybe - it was a PS remote play app problem but from what i'm reading, same problem persists even on the PSPlay 3rd party Android app and while the dev says that an OTG connection works normally that isn't my experience since i tried an OTG connection on my phone and the button mapping is still wrong (not in the PSPlay app but Sony's official one and i dont think that there will be any difference between the 2).
Apparently, an android update is what fooked Dualsense compatibility (?).

So basically, until Sony + google decide to fix shit up (updated drivers basically) the only solution as to be able to use the remote play app(s) is to use A) an Xbox joypad, B) a Dualshock 4 and C) winning the lottery by having a compatible Android phone which doesn't have the button mapping all fooked up.

It's a shit-show :D

Last edited:
Top Bottom