• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dumb tech question #769, how fast is WiFi?

acoustix

I just want to know how fast WiFi is in comparison to a standard household ethernet connection. Would it be better or worse for online play than what most people use for Live right now?

impirius

A wired connection will be faster, but if you have a strong signal, wireless should be fast enough for online play.

802.11b: 11Mbps
802.11g: 54Mbps
10/100 Ethernet: 100Mbps

blahness

acoustix said:
I just want to know how fast WiFi is in comparison to a standard household ethernet connection. Would it be better or worse for online play than what most people use for Live right now?

the bandwidth you are using to play online is limited by your cable/dsl/dialup connection... the average on cable/dsl is 3Mbps... so any connection method should work fine... as far as wireless goes... just make sure you are in range and have a good signal strength so your connection does not cut in and out

blahness

acoustix said:
Ah, ok. I was mainly curious about how they would compare lag-wise but I guess it depends.

lag depends on the connection from your house to the server you are trying to play on: line speed, # of hops, # of current connections on server, are among many many other factors in the performance of an online game

acoustix said:
Ah, ok. I was mainly curious about how they would compare lag-wise but I guess it depends.

Assuming you have a decent signal, wireless will be faster than your internet connection.

802.11b = 11Mbs
Really, Really Fast Home internet connection = 3Mbs (Fastest marketed Cable is ~6Mbs, I believe)

These will get faster over the next few years, so I'm glad these guys are going with 802.11g.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
sonycowboy said:
Assuming you have a decent signal, wireless will be faster than your internet connection.

802.11b = 11Mbs
Really, Really Fast Home internet connection = 3Mbs (Fastest marketed Cable is ~6Mbs, I believe)

These will get faster over the next few years, so I'm glad these guys are going with 802.11g.

RCN provides 10Mbs in boston.

MetalAlien

Banned
impirius said:
A wired connection will be faster, but if you have a strong signal, wireless should be fast enough for online play.

SHOULD be fast enough? I game at 256k and it plays just fine...LOL

trmas

Banned
802.11g has been out for a while now. Unless you are on a LAN or something, you need nothing faster for the foreseeable future.

tenchir

The standard for 802.11g will give 54 Mbps, but some manufacturer will add their own stuff to differentiate their wireless equipment from the others.

Linksys router and adapters(after speedbooster enabled) gives you like 75 Mbps.
Broadcom based routers and adapters(with afterburner enabled) will give you 125 Mbps.
D-Link router and adapters will give 104 Mbps.

I am am using a WDS system for my house. I am using a WRT54G(with HyperHRT firmware) as the base router connected to the modem and primary PC. I enabled WDS on that router so that my Belkin F5D7230-4 router(also WDS enabled) on the other side of the house can connect to it, basically works as a repeater. I then connect my Linksys BEFW11S4 router(newest firmware for LazyWDS support) to my XBOX and PS2 as a bridge. Overall, I am not experiencing any lag.

Here's how my network is setup.

DSL Modem --> WRT54G <--> [WDS] <--> F5D7230-4 <--> [WDS] <--> BEFW11S4 --> PS2/XBOX

Hajaz

sonycowboy said:

802.11b = 11Mbs

theyre offering 20Mbps vdsl in holland.

I have 8MBit here in my apartmentt, and you can get up to 24MBit, depending on how much you wanna pay.
They have also started to make things faster so soon you will be able to get up to 100MBps.

Telia = 24Mbit/sec, and Bredbandsbolaget is building out in Linkoping so we get 100MBps

(sweden btw)

Hajaz

whats the upload speed on those 24mbps connections btw?
personally i'd rather have 8mbit down 8mbit up then 24mbit down and 512kbps up :)

my ISPs upload rate doesn't go up throughout any of its various packages. Annoying. No incentive to upgrade if I'm happy with 1Mbit.

WiFi is awesome. I stream DivX episodes of 24 and Alias around the house at perfect quality, I played Xbox Live a lot (I'm banned), and I can play PSO on GC just great too.

Cutley

Banned
I have a 24Mb connection at home :D One thing about wifi though is that it's half-duplex so you would get about 20Mb from a 54Mb network in reality. I get about that on my home 54Mb network, my dl speed maxes it out sometimes.

Dr_Cogent

Banned
impirius said:

Those are theoretical limits I would like to point out. They never actually reach these numbers in real life. I would say count on about 1/2 of whatever the theoretical limits are. Additionally, the more wireless devices you add to the network, the slower it will be.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
less than half.

Recent tests of Turbo-G wifi ( the 108Mb/s stuff) had the best results at about 34Mb/s, with most being around 25Mb/s. Speed drops off rapidly with distance and obstacles, and using 'g' devices alongside 'b' devices, or even cordless phones.

You'd want 'g' as a minimum, and ideally a turbo-g setup (receiver and transmitter from the same manufacturer for best results).

Top Bottom