• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Like I said above, if this is true, that makes this duology front heavy.

In exposition, sure. This first movie has a lot of shit to explain to the audience. In actual plot content, not necessarily.

Feyd Rautha and Giedi Prime in general can be greatly expanded upon more in 2, since Part 1 is clearly giving us Beast Rabban as the big bad. There's also the whole period of holy war on Arrakis that the book pretty quickly just glances over. Paul goes from catching his first worm to being a warlord in like a few chapters.

ZywyPL

Banned
Loved every second of it. But I have a sad feeling this will end up just like Blade Runner 2049 - with little views, average reviews, but will be remember as a masterpiece for people like us here or all the sci-fi/Dune fans out there.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Jesus Christ that looked insane, one of my fav directors knockin it outa the park but will people go see it?? Probably nah cause the gen pop are fucking wombles who love fast and the furious 238 and Transformer movies....

tsumake

Loved every second of it. But I have a sad feeling this will end up just like Blade Runner 2049 - with little views, average reviews, but will be remember as a masterpiece for people like us here or all the sci-fi/Dune fans out there.

2049 had a surprisingly decent script but otherwise was a boring affair. It pales in comparison to the 1982 original.

If Monsieur Villeneuve is the “best” Hollywood can produce, I can see why people would just opt to watch at home (like Dune).

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Looks slick. Didnt know Dave Bautista was the bearded guy till I read up on it.

If this ends up like BR 2049, I'll be disappointed. That movie was CGI bloat and bogged down the movie probably half an hour with endless CGI panoramic camera shots. I totally get these movies want to show off awesome CGI atmosphere, but it can go too far.

I barely remember the first Dune movie. I don't think I ever saw the whole thing as it's a long movie when showed on TV.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Looks slick. Didnt know Dave Bautista was the bearded guy till I read up on it.

Huh?

eW31bdEg50hp6JkZ3KEPuLl_PHLW2ubdcpnkHkBelvs.jpg

Yoboman

Jihad is gone for the sake of political correctness. Don’t expect those influences.
Im not sure on this one

I liked the middle eastern influences

But I'm also sure they were only there to begin with because it helped with the alien vibe in the 1960s

I think middle eastern casting should have been done though. Hollywood so about inclusiveness I'm not sure how they messed this up

Obvious why though with the overtones it would being to real middle east invasions for oil. And Hollywood definitely too pussy-cat in 2021 to criticise that

Last edited:

tsumake

Im not sure on this one

I liked the middle eastern influences

But I'm also sure they were only there to begin with because it helped with the alien vibe in the 1960s

I think middle eastern casting should have been done though. Hollywood so about inclusiveness I'm not sure how they messed this up

Obvious why though with the overtones it would being to real middle east invasions for oil. And Hollywood definitely too pussy-cat in 2021 to criticise that

You mean as opposed to the last twenty years where they’ve made that exact point?

jason10mm

Gold Member
Did they actually film a part 1 without the plan for making part 2? That seems absurd, is that really the case?
They filmed this thing several years ago. While I'm sure they have kicked around a script, I'm not sure they signed the actors to a multi film deal nor have they even started pre-production. Sadly, this reeks of studio trepidation and I think it will kill a seamless sequel. I very much hope I'm wrong and they kept rolling but I don't think so.

ManaByte

Gold Member
They filmed this thing several years ago. While I'm sure they have kicked around a script, I'm not sure they signed the actors to a multi film deal nor have they even started pre-production. Sadly, this reeks of studio trepidation and I think it will kill a seamless sequel. I very much hope I'm wrong and they kept rolling but I don't think so.
The script for part 2 is done. The plan was to do it like It Part 1 and 2. Film and release Part 1 and then start in filming Part 2. But COVID caused this to be delayed and now Villeneuve has agreed to make a HBO Max series (The Sun). So it's not known if he'll film that first or go right into Part 2 after this releases.

longdi

Banned
Im ashamed to say i have not read the book, Lotr too. I heard of the game though. Is the game the best book to game adaptation btw? :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Denis has crazy artistic flair so this trailer looks really good, but the content seems like typical sci-fi warfare?

any summary of what to expect for his Dune 1 and 2?

I love Thanos doing his Thanos thing too.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
any summary of what to expect for his Dune 1 and 2?

Dune 1: 15 year old Paul Atreides does to the planet Arrakis (Dune) when the Emperor of the known universe orders his family to take control of Spice production from the Harkonnens. Through a series of Game of Thrones style betrayals, Paul and his mother Lady Jessica flee into the deep desert and encounter the Fremen and a girl (Chani) Paul has been seeing in his dreams. The Fremen have been awaiting a messiah (Muad'Dib) and Paul is who they've been waiting for.

Dune 2: Two years later, Paul's powers are starting to become known and he leads the Fremen in a jihad against the Harkonnens and the Emperor.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Really nothing alike. Villeneuve stays a humble guy, a movie director from Quebec that started with budgets that would not even pay a TV episode on US ground and made it all the way to amazing Hollywood productions. The fans are praising his skills, but he’s not taking stage or hyping his work one bit.
Yea he always dreamed of doing Dune but wasn’t pushing for it. It wasn‘t until he was almost done making 2049 that Legendary and WB offered him Dune.

tsumake

Really nothing alike. Villeneuve stays a humble guy, a movie director from Quebec that started with budgets that would not even pay a TV episode on US ground and made it all the way to amazing Hollywood productions. The fans are praising his skills, but he’s not taking stage or hyping his work one bit.

If you’re going to deify a filmmaker, at least find one that is interesting 😂

Dev1lXYZ

The movie is done. It was originally going to be out last year and only delayed due to COVID.

A lot of movies are still tweaking special effects right up until release. So while the movie was shot and due for release last year, the special effects are still being finished up. Example: When the worm breaches the surface, there should be lightning present. It’s in the books as well as Lynch’s version. I know DV didn’t miss that beat as detail oriented as he seems to be, but it isn’t in the trailer.

Ownage

Long shot wishful thinking, but wouldn't it be cool if ole Patty Stew shows up on a walk on cameo? Maybe with Sting?

A lot of movies are still tweaking special effects right up until release. So while the movie was shot and due for release last year, the special effects are still being finished up. Example: When the worm breaches the surface, there should be lightning present. It’s in the books as well as Lynch’s version. I know DV didn’t miss that beat as detail oriented as he seems to be, but it isn’t in the trailer.
Not in this case, the film is done.

Top Bottom