• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

Ulysses 31

After the race/gender swaps(the studio forced it on the director so I don't see it as a woke move from him) we also get this:

To my understanding the first 3 books had Paul as the lead, hope this change doesn't drag things down for the 2nd movie(if it ever comes).

Last edited:

mortal

Gold Member

jason10mm

Gold Member
But didn't IGN have "their own translator" do the work? Was that person's name Google?

"Speaking with Italian magazine Il Venerdì di Repubblica, per DuneInfo (and translated independently by IGN), Villeneuve expressed his eagerness to work on Dune: Part 2 and even confirmed that Zendaya would emerge as the protagonist of the adaptation's next installment, taking the reins from Timothée Chalamet's Paul Atreides, who is the main focus of the upcoming release."

Granted, it aint real important news, but damn, how does a translator f that up?

ManaByte

Gold Member
But didn't IGN have "their own translator" do the work? Was that person's name Google?

"Speaking with Italian magazine Il Venerdì di Repubblica, per DuneInfo (and translated independently by IGN), Villeneuve expressed his eagerness to work on Dune: Part 2 and even confirmed that Zendaya would emerge as the protagonist of the adaptation's next installment, taking the reins from Timothée Chalamet's Paul Atreides, who is the main focus of the upcoming release."

Granted, it aint real important news, but damn, how does a translator f that up?

Rebecca Furguson is the female lead in Part 1.

Part 2 is after the two-year time jump and if you've read the book you'd know why Chani is a bigger character in that half than Lady Jessica.

But websites and YouTube channels rely on rage to get people to click on their stories and watch their videos for that ad $$$$$$.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Rebecca Furguson is the female lead in Part 1.

Part 2 is after the two-year time jump and if you've read the book you'd know why Chani is a bigger character in that half than Lady Jessica.

But websites and YouTube channels rely on rage to get people to click on their stories and watch their videos for that ad $$$$$$.
"Taking the reins from Paul Atreides."

What possible version of Dune did you read where that even a remote consideration? IGN either totally whiffed that translation or they were deliberately trolling.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
"Taking the reins from Paul Atreides."

What possible version of Dune did you read where that even a remote consideration? IGN either totally whiffed that translation or they were deliberately trolling.
Everyone else says it’s a mistranslation.

RAÏSanÏa

Yes, the entire second film puts everything established in the first to the background to expand on how history will see concubines as wives.

Or, probably not.

Xenon

Of course it's a mistranslation there is no way they would make Tel...er Chani the main character. Besides what would possibly the motivation to lie. People would go see the first movie either way.

reksveks

Don't agree with Mr Jenkins often but he seems pretty upbeat so I am now just waiting to find out when I can book Imax tickets.

McCheese

I'm curious, what does Dune translate into for Japan? Just the word for '(sand) dune' or something more evocative of the book?

It's literally just called Dune just spelt phonetically with Katakana (De-yu-n).

Saw this film today (saw 3 films in a day, my body is literally shutting down from lack of movement) - first half is good, second half is a mess. a few of those characters on poster are literally in the film for like 5 minutes >_< had no idea it was a "part 1" type film prior, but then it's not really been on my radar at all. Still salty the director fucked up Blade Runner but what-cha-gonna-do, never read the book, but it reminded me of Chronicles of Riddick and not in a great way.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Saw this film today (saw 3 films in a day, my body is literally shutting down from lack of movement) - first half is good, second half is a mess. a few of those characters on poster are literally in the film for like 5 minutes >_< had no idea it was a "part 1" type film prior, but then it's not really been on my radar at all. Still salty the director fucked up Blade Runner but what-cha-gonna-do, never read the book, but it reminded me of Chronicles of Riddick and not in a great way.
What would you rate it out of 10?

McCheese

What would you rate it out of 10?

5/10

lol yea I already disagree here so I already know just from that impression I'm going to enjoy it.

Don't get me wrong, I felt he probably did a better BR sequel than current-day Ridley Scott would, but it was still a huge letdown for me for the same reasons I thought Dune was meh, seemed more focused on mood setting than telling a good story.

mortal

Gold Member
5/10

Don't get me wrong, I felt he probably did a better BR sequel than current-day Ridley Scott would, but it was still a huge letdown for me for the same reasons I thought Dune was meh, seemed more focused on mood setting than telling a good story.
I understand it didn't meet your expectations and fair enough.

I'm a fan of Denis Villeneuve as a director, including BR 2049. I've also read Dune so it'll be about appreciating Denis's interpretations of the ideas from the book,
so I'll be going into the film from a completely different place than you going off your impression.

thefool

It's literally just called Dune just spelt phonetically with Katakana (De-yu-n).

The film does look like to have some riddick kind of cheapness look, which has surprised me.
On the other hand, if it's moody I'll probably love it.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
5/10

That's exactly my issue with Dennis as well. BR2049 and Arrival were not my favs for that reason.

But here I'm hoping it is a good marriage of his style with Herbert's substance.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Yes it’s 3. Space folding doesn’t require spice, it uses the Holtzman effect which is the same tech that works in shields. I think it was 1 in 10 ships would be lost before navigators.
Oops, I misread. The 1984 movie kinda does give the impression spice is needed to fold with their wording "gives the ability to fold space" but I guess that's because the older ways is never mentioned..

Last edited:

V4skunk

Banned

The fact that you don't know what Dune is makes your opinion irrelevant.

I saw it today, the movie was decent.
Visually stunning, but tonally very reminiscent of Blade Runner 2049. Beautiful cinematography, long slow scenes that let you drink it all in. Majestic yet very subdued. The movie features some absolutely beautiful shots.

Compared to the David Lynch version it doesn't bring anything new to the table really, same plot points, same story beats. Better effects sure, it is lacking some of that surrealism and outlandish style that Lynch is known for and that matched so well with Herbert's universe. Can't really say that it is superior to Lynch's version though. Villeneuve made a very competent movie for sure, but it's basically a retelling of the first half of the 1984 movie. Although the movie doesn't feel incomplete and lets you go satisfied, I think splitting the movie in two parts was a big mistake.

Go see it for the visual experience alone, but don't expect something new really.

Ulysses 31

I saw it today, the movie was decent.
Visually stunning, but tonally very reminiscent of Blade Runner 2049. Beautiful cinematography, long slow scenes that let you drink it all in. Majestic yet very subdued. The movie features some absolutely beautiful shots.

Compared to the David Lynch version it doesn't bring anything new to the table really, same plot points, same story beats. Better effects sure, it is lacking some of that surrealism and outlandish style that Lynch is known for and that matched so well with Herbert's universe. Can't really say that it is superior to Lynch's version though. Villeneuve made a very competent movie for sure, but it's basically a retelling of the first half of the 1984 movie. Although the movie doesn't feel incomplete and lets you go satisfied, I think splitting the movie in two parts was a big mistake.

Go see it for the visual experience alone, but don't expect something new really.
It's longer but tells about half the story of Lynch's version? Does it manage to do that without dragging in your opinion if you're familiar with the story?

It's longer but tells about half the story of Lynch's version? Does it manage to do that without dragging in your opinion if you're familiar with the story?

Movie has lots of atmospheric and scenic shots that set the mood or let you soak up the savage beauty of Arrakis. I liked it, but then again I'm a sucker for slow paced sci-fi movies.
Let me put it like this, if you think Blade Runner 2049 is long, boring and tedious, you will pretty much feel the same about this movie.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Movie has lots of atmospheric and scenic shots that set the mood or let you soak up the savage beauty of Arrakis. I liked it, but then again I'm a sucker for slow paced sci-fi movies.
Let me put it like this, if you think Blade Runner 2049 is long, boring and tedious, you will pretty much feel the same about this movie.
Ugh, my worst fears realized.

Oh well, at least it will be a beautiful bomb.

To get out of director jail Denis should do a low budget version of the Stephen King/Richard Bachman "The Long Walk", it seems well suited to his filming style. Plus he could film it in real time and make it 4 days long :p

Ugh, my worst fears realized.

Oh well, at least it will be a beautiful bomb.

To get out of director jail Denis should do a low budget version of the Stephen King/Richard Bachman "The Long Walk", it seems well suited to his filming style. Plus he could film it in real time and make it 4 days long :p

I dunno, I think Dune lends itself very well to Villeneuve's directorial style.

Seeing this tonight in IMAX. Super hyped!

Jason Momoa Knife GIF by Nerdist.com

sircaw

Banned
I think the diseases on his face and heartplugs were Lynch additions so I doubt those will be in this one.
i never read the books so i can't say for sure, but i remember him, in the film, putting his hands all over a boy/young man that was brought to him.

IT was rather repulsive.

Also, was there not something to do with smearing blood all over himself, ffs, gross

Last edited:
Top Bottom