• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

Chiggs

Can anyone explain that undressing scene with the mom looking at her son? Or is it exactly what I think it is?

I've not read the books.

Vestal

Gold Member
My non spoiler review.
Cinematography was great
Music was great
Acting was top notch
Pacing felt a bit sluggish. Felt like too much visual exposition between plot progression points.
climax felt dull. It didn’t feel like a worthy climax to a 2.5hr movie with the kind of stakes the story puts.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Hey, ManaByte ManaByte Have you've heard if they have any interest in adapting the books beyond the first one? I really hope they go Harry Potter or Lotor on this and adapt all of Herbert's works.

Xenon

My non spoiler review.
Cinematography was great
Music was great
Acting was top notch
Pacing felt a bit sluggish. Felt like too much visual exposition between plot progression points.
climax felt dull. It didn’t feel like a worthy climax to a 2.5hr movie with the kind of stakes the story puts.

This was a concern. That shit was great in Blade Runner 2049. But Dune's story is too dense to have time for that.

McCheese

I get the source material is probably too long, but this film ends with a fucking whimper which is hard to forgive when it also has a 5-minute flash-back about palm trees and a ton of slow-motion zendaya playing on repeat. Like, they could easily have cut 20 minutes out and replaced that with *something* other than that ending

Last edited by a moderator:

Vestal

Gold Member
This was a concern. That shit was great in Blade Runner 2049. But Dune's story is too dense to have time for that.
You can't unsee it either. Like I was concious of the sluggishness throughout the movie. Its particularly evident in the first 1hr-1.5hrs..

Don't get me wrong though.. I enjoyed the movie, but feel that it could have been so much better with tighter pacing and a more rewarding climax.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

Good movie. I get it's bigger than one film, so I enjoyed this chapter of the tale. I'd seen the old 80's/90's Dune film, so I'm vaguely familiar with the story. My only complaint is that promotional materials showed way too much Zendaya, for how little there is of her.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
My non spoiler review.
Cinematography was great
Music was great
Acting was top notch
When I saw where it ended I was like “ oh we have a ways to go” they will have to fly through the second movie to finish this one.
I think they could have given you more of Pauls mentors and gotten further in the story, that said I enjoyed the movie. But if they get to the second one I would prefer it over this one as it probably has better pacing.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I will also say that I felt the power of the houses. Atraties was feared because of their discipline, Harkonen, because of their trechory and the emperor due to his overwhelming force and soldier class.

Should I see this baby on IMAX or Dolby Cinema? Do any of you guys have a favorite? My local movie theater doesn't have either but I'm willing to drive a bit to experience Dune in all its glory.

Hardensoul

My non spoiler review.
Cinematography was great
Music was great
Acting was top notch
This is spot on and where it ended I came to feeling underwhelmed, which makes waiting for part 2 excruciating. But will definitely re-watched, I really enjoyed it up to that point.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Watched it and thought it was amazing. 9/10. I don't think I'm spoiling anything by saying this seems to be only part one of a movie trilogy. So expect wanting more when its over.

I'm going to watch it again in a few days.

ZehDon

I've watched it twice now. For someone who adores the book, I really can't overstate how much I deeply enjoyed this. Was everything there? No, but what's there is damn near perfect for me; the film is an incredible one; an audio visual experience to be cherished and enjoyed. Everything felt correct; the visual designs, the casting, the score. I cannot wait for the cinematic release here in Australia so I enjoy it on the biggest screen I can find. It's a pipe dream, but I hope they do an extended version for the home release; even if it was just more scenes of pure character work, I'd gladly lap up hours of it. What a world. The only real complaint I have is that we didn't get enough time for the side characters, save perhaps Duncan.

The extremely limited time with Yuay was a bit of a disappointment. His betrayal in the books had weight because we knew the character and his bond with the Atreides. For such a mammoth impact on this world, he had all of a few minutes of screen time. Feels like a missed opportunity. Gurney's return in the second part will make amends for his lack of screen time here, but I'd still have enjoyed more time with him in Part 1 as well.

Villeneuve has said he sees his work as a potential trilogy, covering Dune and Dune Messiah. After seeing Part 1, I'll be there with bells on for all of it.

Last edited:

Pilgrimzero

Watched the new Dune. Near 3 hour film that tells half the book. The film is set up for the "good stuff". There is literally no conclusion.

It was pretty and good music but wow at it being HALF the story.

If I paid money to see this in a theater I'd be pissed.

Tams

Gold Member
Saw it last night. Was great.

Beautiful cinematography, sound effects and score, and great acting.

It did feel a bit long and I wondered a couple of times when it was going to end, but then again that wasn't really a negative.

It's set up a good world and story for the next film.

My non spoiler review.
Cinematography was great
Music was great
Acting was top notch
I know it's a multi-part series, but yeah, it felt like a TV show because of the climax. But I can't think of a way they really could have gotten around that.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I am with everyone on the ending being a bit of a let down. TBH, i didnt think this was epic enough. At least not as epic as everyone had led me to believe.

Maybe they are saving all the good stuff for the second movie which by the looks of things is probably not going to get greenlit. only around 30 people in my theater at a 9PM showing on friday. this will probably be lucky enough to do $20 million in the first weekend and $60 million lifetime in NA.

The fact that WB suits tied the sequel to Box office performance while also putting it on HBO max shows that they never wanted to spend money on a sequel. maybe im wrong, but man there were more people at that theater when i saw king kong 9 months ago before the vaccines even became public.

I hate how youtube algorithms continue to spoil endings and big deaths in movies and games. I never even watched a trailer for this movie, and youtube decided i needed to see a massive spoiler in my youtube feed. it happens all the time with games and this will continue to happen more and more as they launch more movies on streaming.

Lastly, the movie experience itself was underwhelming. the screen was dim and didnt look as bright and colors didnt look as rich as they do on my OLED. for some reason, they no longer dim the lights all the way so the theater was bright and i kept getting distracted by the ceiling lights. the audio was the one good thing, but its like even movie theaters dont want to survive themselves. they need to go all out and really sell the experience, but getting a good screen on opening night is basically a roll of the dice.

Jsisto

Watched half last night, loving it so far. There are some things I feel were just glossed over that had major significance in the book, but then, that’s usually how it is with movie adaptations of books, cant fit in everything.

mekes

I haven’t read the book. I did buy it last year but never got around to reading it in time. I just saw the movie today and I really enjoyed it. I don’t often wax lyrical about a film but all involved with this movie should be very, very proud. Perhaps the first time I have watched a film where the special effects do not distract. Everything is so carefully done and implemented and thats so amazing to see. The film gripped me throughout. It didn’t feel a minute over 90 minutes to me.

Bring on the second movie!

SJRB

Gold Member
My non spoiler review.
Cinematography was great
Music was great
Acting was top notch

Climax felt dull because the movie doesn't end on a climax. A big event happens about 2-ish hours into the movie, and it has quite a bit of downtime after that with only an absolute minimum amount of action. It's not like Fellowship of the Ring where you get this massive battle and a wrap-up to credits in like 5 minutes.

This movie's ending feels like a prologue to the next movie, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I knew about the story of Dune but never read the book. something I intended to do eventually. I did watch the old Dune movie a long time ago and found it... interesting. I was really excited to see this new one and went with a few friends last night to a Dolby cinema to watch it. the movie is really captivating. from the great set pieces to Zimmer's wonderful soundtrack. from the gorgeous costume design to the great performance by every single one of the actors. I particularly love Rebecca Ferguson's performance as Paul's mother Jessica. this is by far one of the best movie I've seen in recent years. now fingers cross for the box office numbers to be good so we can get the next one made.

ManaByte

I particularly love Rebecca Ferguson
3003752f7479c9f618ff82c7e82c4ecc.jpg

Dune was a great time. The voice legit shook me at times. Really well done.

Something I didnt expect was that the soundtrack seemed eerily similar to Returnal’s music on PS5. Im at my gfs place and she’s asleep so I cant play sounds right now but i’ll post comparisons later

TheMan

I’m a bit disappointed. I didn’t realize this wasn’t a full story until the day before I watched it. It’s all setup without payoff and it pretty much just ends with a heavily implied “to be continued” that probably won’t come for like 2 years. You can also tell there’s a LOT of context that they can’t fit into 2 hour movie. What’s here is pretty good but it feels like a mere appetizer.

ManaByte

I’m a bit disappointed. I didn’t realize this wasn’t a full story until the day before I watched it. It’s all setup without payoff and it pretty much just ends with a heavily implied “to be continued” that probably won’t come for like 2 years. You can also tell there’s a LOT of context that they can’t fit into 2 hour movie. What’s here is pretty good but it feels like a mere appetizer.

There's more context in this than the Lynch version. They talk about the sisters planting the messiah idea with the Fremen in this.

Jsisto

I've watched it twice now. For someone who adores the book, I really can't overstate how much I deeply enjoyed this. Was everything there? No, but what's there is damn near perfect for me; the film is an incredible one; an audio visual experience to be cherished and enjoyed. Everything felt correct; the visual designs, the casting, the score. I cannot wait for the cinematic release here in Australia so I enjoy it on the biggest screen I can find. It's a pipe dream, but I hope they do an extended version for the home release; even if it was just more scenes of pure character work, I'd gladly lap up hours of it. What a world. The only real complaint I have is that we didn't get enough time for the side characters, save perhaps Duncan.

The extremely limited time with Yuay was a bit of a disappointment. His betrayal in the books had weight because we knew the character and his bond with the Atreides. For such a mammoth impact on this world, he had all of a few minutes of screen time. Feels like a missed opportunity. Gurney's return in the second part will make amends for his lack of screen time here, but I'd still have enjoyed more time with him in Part 1 as well.

Villeneuve has said he sees his work as a potential trilogy, covering Dune and Dune Messiah. After seeing Part 1, I'll be therereleasedlls on for all of it
Totally agree on your criticism on that spoiler part. That was really built up in the book and added to the overall sense of dread, knowing it was likely to happen. I'm hoping there's some deleted scenes that may flesh it out more when it's released in stores.

Top Bottom