• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

trikster40

Question: I never watched the old Dune movie? Should I watch? How about that TV series?

Also, should I read the book?

Ah, this trailer has me hyped to get into all things Dune.

ManaByte

This is from the opening of the movie. Right from the beginning Villeneuve is like "I got this". THIS is what Dune is supposed to look like. The designs in this movie are breathtaking.
sRfgt85.jpg

CMofKOz.jpg

I also LOVED the design of the Spacing Guild (you can see them in the background in one trailer shot). They have these fully enclosed white helmets (almost like an astronaut) that are orange as they're filled with spice.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I'm very worried we won't get a part 2 either, that cast is gonna be hard to reassemble.

But really, a father has to ask the MOTHER if she will protect her own child? Why do writers put this kind of shit on paper?

And sadly, I know the '84 movie so well I need to translate the currently actors for Gurney and Idaho into their '84 counterparts to remember which is which :p

Dev1lXYZ

Denis Villeneuve was the only director that could pull this movie off. The casting looks great and most of the special effects look great. The worm effect still looks like a work in progress. I’m sure they’ll improve it more until release.

Read the first two books (Dune and Dune Messiah)before you see it. They were meant to be one book. The rest of the books are also worth reading as long as you stay with the Frank Herbert books. I’ve never heard very good things regarding the Brian Herbert books, so I have avoided those.

Video game wise, the older RTS games are good (even on Sega Genesis) and led the industry for their time.

ManaByte

Denis Villeneuve was the only director that could pull this movie off. The casting looks great and most of the special effects look great. The worm effect still looks like a work in progress. I’m sure they’ll improve it more until release.
The movie is done. It was originally going to be out last year and only delayed due to COVID.

I know absolutely nothing about the books, and that trailer didn't excite me one bit.

Not a knock on it at all - because I know literally nothing about the book to feel the same way a lot of you do - but I would love it if someone could just provide an understanding of what the hell did I just watch and why is it exciting for a fan of the book?

Again, I apologise, but if you could see it from a lens and perspective of a person unfamiliar with the story, the trailer makes the movie look painfully generic looking - and even I'd say go as far as giving me.....scientology movie vibes....

But everyone (who's a fan) is so excited for the movie, so it MUST be the story and how the film has adapted it as faithful as possible, right?

So, maybe in a quick sentence just run me down with the what, why, where, when and how?

ManaByte

But everyone (who's a fan) is so excited for the movie, so it MUST be the story and how the film has adapted it as faithful as possible, right?

Villeneuve is to Dune what Peter Jackson was to LOTR. Both grew up loving the book as kids and dreamed of making it into a movie. They showed about 20 mins of footage last night on IMAX and every single detail in this is as impressive as what Jackson did to LOTR.

Villeneuve is to Dune what Peter Jackson was to LOTR. Both grew up loving the book as kids and dreamed of making it into a movie. They showed about 20 mins of footage last night on IMAX and every single detail in this is as impressive as what Jackson did to LOTR.
No no, the director is a genius in cinematography and I'm well versed in his work.

I'm strictly speaking about the book here, and what about the book and its story that is interesting because the trailer was definitely made for those who have read it - and definitely not very welcoming to those who know nothing of it.

QSD

Yeah I'm also not super impressed. The trailer lacks a distinctive visual style, it seems kind of generic compared to what could have been (Jodorowski's Dune, anyone?)

Last edited:

ManaByte

I'm strictly speaking about the book here, and what about the book and its story that is interesting because the trailer was definitely made for those who have read it - and definitely not very welcoming to those who know nothing of it.

Like how LOTR basically created the modern fantasy genre, Dune did the same for sci-fi (it was released about a decade after LOTR). Most modern sci-fi from Star Wars to Avatar wouldn't exist without Dune and you can see its influence in everything. Best way to describe it is kind of Game of Thrones in the year 10,000 hiding a core messiah story.

Read the book (DO NOT watch the Lynch version if you haven't read the book).

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Looks really good. Excellent trailer too for focusing down on the core story and not overloading it by trying to shoehorn into all the groups and factions in the Dune universe.

ikbalCO

I like the trailer but it feels like they are white washing the arabic-turkish influence the first book has.

I love villeneuve movies but looks-wise it doesnt look like it takes place in a "middle eastern" type of planet.

I don't know. We have to wait and see i guess

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I like the trailer but it feels like they are white washing the arabic-turkish influence the first book has.

I love villeneuve movies but looks-wise it doesnt look like it takes place in a "middle eastern" type of planet.

I don't know. We have to wait and see i guess
Jihad is gone for the sake of political correctness. Don’t expect those influences.

Like how LOTR basically created the modern fantasy genre, Dune did the same for sci-fi (it was released about a decade after LOTR). Most modern sci-fi from Star Wars to Avatar wouldn't exist without Dune and you can see its influence in everything. Best way to describe it is kind of Game of Thrones in the year 10,000 hiding a core messiah story.

Read the book (DO NOT watch the Lynch version if you haven't read the book).
Definitely told me nothing of the story, but based off your response it definitely seems like a story that needs to be read and not told in a quick summary on a forum thread on a gaming website.

But with that kind of pedigree weighed on its shoulder, and this much excitement from those who are huge fans of the book, this must be quite the event.

Think I'll have to read the book before I ever come close to watching this film, but thanks for taking the time to fill me in :)

Dr Bass

I'm very worried we won't get a part 2 either, that cast is gonna be hard to reassemble.

But really, a father has to ask the MOTHER if she will protect her own child? Why do writers put this kind of shit on paper?

And sadly, I know the '84 movie so well I need to translate the currently actors for Gurney and Idaho into their '84 counterparts to remember which is which :p
Did they actually film a part 1 without the plan for making part 2? That seems absurd, is that really the case?

mortal

Gold Member
Yeah I'm also not super impressed. The trailer lacks a distinctive visual style, it seems kind of generic compared to what could have been (Jodorowski's Dune, anyone?)
I'm a fan of Jodorowsky's work, but anyone that's familiar with the first Dune book knows how far removed his adaptation of Dune would've been, beyond recognizability.
Awesome documentary though, and thanks to that production we got Alien, The Incal, and many other iconic works of Science Fiction.

On multiple occasions, Villeneuve has gone on record to express his admiration for Dune and the world Herbert weaved. The man is a legit fan.

Nothing wrong with you having reservations mind you, but my excitement (as well as many others) is mainly stemming from the talent involved with this adaption, and their respective track records.

Last edited:

isual

where will it stop for part 1 and start for part 2 you guys reckon?

i couldn't ask this in /tv/ because the damn capcha was messing me up 10 times.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
It's based on a 55 year old book that's influenced and referenced in all sci-fi since. Cry more.
I meant with respect to someone who has never been exposed to it. Obviously it can't be spoiled for myself. Why defend bad trailer making?

QSD

I'm a fan of Jodorowsky's work, but anyone that's familiar with the first Dune book knows how far removed his adaptation of Dune would've been, beyond recognizability.
Awesome documentary though, and thanks to that production we got Alien, The Incal, and many other iconic works of Science Fiction.

On multiple occasions, Villeneuve has gone on record to express his admiration for Dune and the world Herbert weaved. The man is a legit fan.

Nothing wrong with you having reservations mind you, but my excitement (as well as many others) is mainly stemming from the talent involved with this adaption, and their respective track records.
I read Dune when I was 12 or 14 or something and although I loved it, I remember it being pretty batshit so I thought Jodorowsky's vision was right on the money compared to this somewhat grimdark, desaturated style which seems to lean away from how crazy the Dune universe is. But I guess that's subjective experience for you. I did love the new Blade Runner movie so sure I'll give it a chance.

rofif

Banned
I hate trailers. Always.. ALWAYS the same music in these.
Anyway - looks good. I've not seen old Dune yet so now I am not sure if I should wait

where will it stop for part 1 and start for part 2 you guys reckon?

i couldn't ask this in /tv/ because the damn capcha was messing me up 10 times.
I find it hard to think of a place where to split the book neatly into 2. The only thing that I can think off is to split it where Paul truly becomes Muad'dib but that means the second half would be lacking content. I think the mini series' 3 part split was a better way to go at it.

Based on the script this one ends

when Jessica takes the Water of Life.
Like I said above, if this is true, that makes this duology front heavy.

Top Bottom