• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune | Official Main Trailer

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Paul can see the future! He was bred to be the universe savior or destroy? So the visions he has are possible futures!
Not exactly. The future is predetermined , which is what causes Paul to abandon his path - he didn’t feel strong enough to do what must be done for humankind to survive. As Dune says: ‘Thise who can see the future are trapped by it’.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Just watched Lynch's version. Giddamn that is a good movie. Yeah, there are some clunky exposition parts but it all flows so much better IMHO. Granted, I've loved this film since it came out. But the soundtrack, virtually all of the performances, the emotional highs, the baroque sets, and the inner voice narration paired with a more direct "show don't tell" aesthetic works much better for me.

We will watch the syfy version next. Fortnite has gotten my 8year old interested in Dune so I'm starting him off right :p

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Just watched Lynch's version. Giddamn that is a good movie. Yeah, there are some clunky exposition parts but it all flows so much better IMHO. Granted, I've loved this film since it came out. But the soundtrack, virtually all of the performances, the emotional highs, the baroque sets, and the inner voice narration paired with a more direct "show don't tell" aesthetic works much better for me.

We will watch the syfy version next. Fortnite has gotten my 8year old interested in Dune so I'm starting him off right :p
I have a great deal of love for the sci-fi mini-series. It probably doesn't hold up fx-wise but I found it much more watchable than the Lynch version. The actress who plays Chani in that one is also stupid hot and you get to see her great rack in the uncut version.

Last edited:

Hardensoul

Not exactly. The future is predetermined , which is what causes Paul to abandon his path - he didn’t feel strong enough to do what must be done for humankind to survive. As Dune says: ‘Thise who can see the future are trapped by it’.
I’m just talking about visions presented in this movie. What you are talking about are in future books!

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I thought it was really good, but it ended way more open-ended than I expected. If there isn't a 2nd movie this will feel like a total waste. They better finish the story!

McCheese

But he saw himself die and used that vision to dodge the attack and change his fate..

Hardensoul

I think he is seeing possible futures. Some may be nods to the book as Easter eggs to the fans.
Yes, that’s what I said in my original comment, he was seeing possible futures especially concerning Jasmi. Paul saw himself being killed and Jasmi being his friend/teacher?

Dev1lXYZ

This is the ‘Dark Knight’ vs ‘Batman ‘89’ situation all over over again.’ It’s a looker that’s got lots of sparkle, but not a whole lot of shine. I prefer the Lynch rendition.

Romulus

Didn't like it. The costumes and vehicles were incredible but the actual story just didn't do it for me. The cinematography was as I feared, huge sprawling interior/exterior spaces with nothing in them. Everything just felt hollow and soulless. The colonists story just feels played out by this point. Yes it's based on an old book but everything about it felt forced and completely far fetched for me with the boy band MC.

Last edited:

DKehoe

Gold Member
Yes, that’s what I said in my original comment, he was seeing possible futures especially concerning Jasmi. Paul saw himself being killed and Jasmi being his friend/teacher?
I took it to be that "Paul" (as in the identity) died so that this new version of himself could come to be. That the guy was seen in visions as being a teacher because he's the one to guide Paul to that point by being the first person Paul kills.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Part 2 is coming. It's at $221M.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I wonder who they'll cast as the Emperor in part 2. Russell Crowe? Christian Bale?
Given that the two Imperial folks we see (Kynes and the ambassador who reads the scroll to the Atredies) are black, I'm assuming the Emperor and the princess are gonna be black as well.

There is actually a lot of interesting ethnic stuff in the Dune casting if you choose to read I to it (I recommend you don't).

I'm super curious how they represent the spacing guild as well.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Given that the two Imperial folks we see (Kynes and the ambassador who reads the scroll to the Atredies) are black, I'm assuming the Emperor and the princess are gonna be black as well.

There is actually a lot of interesting ethnic stuff in the Dune casting if you choose to read I to it (I recommend you don't).

I'm super curious how they represent the spacing guild as well.

I don't think the ending of the movie will go over well if pretty white boy usurps the throne from a black guy.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I don't think the ending of the movie will go over well if pretty white boy usurps the throne from a black guy.
That's why identity casting is so problematic.

Take the fremen. The lightest skinned folks seem to be the most important. Coincidence?

I don't really give a fuck but when others play that game it leads to odd results.

Shouta

Watched it tonight. Great looking movie. Dune can be a little dense for average folks but Villeneuve did a really good job of making it pretty to understand for newer folks, I thought. It's really smooth too and I could have sat and watched another 2.5 hours of this if it existed, lol.

Doczu

Saw it on Friday night, first movie post covid and post kids, pack of 7 people. Most have read the book, one dude didn't and was afraid he won't get it. But man was it good!

It easily tops the Lynch version, even if it has some pacing issues. Ends on a whimper, but that's the best moment they could end. Some say they could have ended 20 minutes earlier, but that would leave them witha 3+ hours second part.
Some characters were barely on screen...
Costumes and design is a tie with the Lynch version to me. I miss the XIX century military uniforms...
Loved the machine design, the ornithopters are unbelievable!

PanzerAzel

Saw it again tonight.

I really appreciate the visual language Villeneuve excels at; I find his style often a tad lingering, pensive, somewhat meandering, oftentimes to detriment but not here……it’s perfectly adept at encapsulating and enforcing Dune’s placement and sense of gravitas. I can understand some of the criticisms laid at the feet of character development and pacing, perhaps these will be better addressed in the broader context sequels afford, but this is the universe I’ve always envisioned best aligned to Herbert’s inception. I absolutely adore the art direction and costumes…..brilliant. The Fremen’s look is flawless.

But I will admit, if one hasn’t read the novel, I can completely understand how this wouldn’t grip somebody or would leave them ambivalent or leave them with a sense of bewilderment and…emptiness? Dune is a heavyweight on so many different levels, and any film adaptation is going to be, at best, a cursory glance on the surface of the depth available of this world. To that, I find this film a nice compliment to its source material, but maybe a bit too much to achieve much merit in the medium it seeks to inhabit here. Cinema is simply too constrained to address this to the degree deserved, much less required. But I’ll take it in the understanding of a compliment, because I think that’s honestly the best we are able to get.

I love this film.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned
This is the ‘Dark Knight’ vs ‘Batman ‘89’ situation all over over again.’ It’s a looker that’s got lots of sparkle, but not a whole lot of shine. I prefer the Lynch rendition.
People saying the Lynch version is better are hilarious. I love Lynch but watch that shit again and tell me honestly that it's good. It's a total mess. Even the fan edit that puts the narrative scenes in order and cuts out the dumb parts is a mess.

Pilgrimzero

Seeing people talk about how visually appealing the new Dune movie was and that makes it "good" despite it being all buildup with no conclusion is literally the butt farting on screen movie from Idiocracy.

"It's pretty and story doesn't matter" is such an interesting take now-a-days. I even see it said for Video Games.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Seeing people talk about how visually appealing the new Dune movie was and that makes it "good" despite it being all buildup with no conclusion is literally the butt farting on screen movie from Idiocracy.

"It's pretty and story doesn't matter" is such an interesting take now-a-days. I even see it said for Video Games.
It's half a book. I don't know what they could do to give the story a "satisfying conclusion" even though it's not the whole story. It's far more than just pretty. The acting is top-notch. The story is intriguing even without a proper ending.

manfestival

Thinking of seeing this movie a second time. I saw it initially on a regular screen. However, the screen had some weird glistening that was distracting. Worth going a second time but doing it as Dolby/Imax?

ManaByte

That’s suggested by TV analytics firm Samba TV, which exclusively provided data to VIP+ showing that “Dune” was viewed on HBO Max by 1.9 million U.S. households from Thursday to Sunday, a figure higher than the comparable opening weekend HBO Max viewership figures of past notable day-and-date Warner Bros. films like “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” and “In the Heights,” which also debuted on Thursdays.

The film generated $40 million in domestic box office revenue this past weekend, a total that helps “Dune” account for the biggest domestic opening weekend of Warner Bros. in 2021 to date.

“Dune” during the Thursday-Sunday following debut on HBO Max attracted more U.S. viewers than “Godzilla vs. Kong” (1.7 million) did during the Friday-Sunday (4/2-4/4) following its debut, per Samba TV. However, “Godzilla vs. Kong” released on a Wednesday (3/31) and attracted 3.6 million U.S. viewers on HBO Max during the Wednesday-Sunday (3/31-4/4) following its debut.

For reference, they greenlit the Godzilla vs Kong sequel after its HBO Max debut. This did better than that.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
It's half a book. I don't know what they could do to give the story a "satisfying conclusion" even though it's not the whole story. It's far more than just pretty. The acting is top-notch. The story is intriguing even without a proper ending.
The acting is top notch and so they don’t spend all the fucking time talking and explaining thing. Remind me a bit of 2001: Space Odyssey.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Film is an audiovisual medium first and foremost; so yes the fact that it looks nice is enough to resonate with audiences. Kubrick, Malick, and Tarkovsky films aren't highly regarded for their stories, but the manner in which they present those stories. If someone can make butt farting as much of an audiovisual tour de force as Dunc, then yes I'd also expect audiences to like it.

Television shows already exceed film purely as a storytelling medium at any rate, much less books. Film is generally more about raw emotion. The visual spectacle of a cool effect or action scene. The feel-feels of a character death or romance. The communal theatre laughter at a funny gag. That type of thing.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

For reference, they greenlit the Godzilla vs Kong sequel after its HBO Max debut. This did better than that.
Mortal Kombat did 3.8 million. King Kong did 3.6 million. 1.9 million is very bad.

For example, Snyder cut did 1.8 million and that wasnt enough for a snyderverse.

Dune did get a theater release and did respectable numbers, but $200 million for a $200 million movie is nothing. Theater takes half. And you still have to account for the $100 million or so marketing budget. For this movie to break even, you need $400-500 million minimum.

ButchCat

Part 2 is coming. It's at $221M.

$160 mil is the film's budget and that doesn't include marketing expenses which is in the millions. Revenue split between studios and distributors is 60/40 in the US and between 20/80 and 40/60 internationally depending on where you are, so let's go with an average 50 percent split for argument's sake, that means excluding marketing expenses the film has to make at least $ 320 mil for Warner Bros just to cover production costs. With marketing costs, to break even this film has to make at least $500 mil for them to think about greenlighting a part 2. We don't know much revenue HBO Max did generate for them so far.

The film is not out of the woods yet, but assuming COVID doesn't get in the way it we could be on track to Part II with long legs in theatres.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Dune did get a theater release and did respectable numbers, but $200 million for a $200 million movie is nothing. Theater takes half. And you still have to account for the $100 million or so marketing budget. For this movie to break even, you need $400-500 million minimum.
Something something pandemic.

I think people are basically saying, go watch it in the cinema to Support it. In the UK I've seen most of the times booked, plus HBO MAX Is not available in the UK. I think the sequel will be greenlit at this point, cause it would just piss off a lot of people, if it wasnt.

Also Tim Pool had the shittiest take of all time... what a joke

Last edited:
Saw it half an hour ago in Dolby cinema, apart from the obese guy sitting next to me breathing like he's gonna die (and later nodding off and snoring for two good minutes), I really enjoyed it even though I've never seen the previous ones or read the books. I'm definitely rewatching this next week with my wife, but this time I'm gonna be tripping on edibles.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
$160 mil is the film's budget and that doesn't include marketing expenses which is in the millions. Revenue split between studios and distributors is 60/40 in the US and between 20/80 and 40/60 internationally depending on where you are, so let's go with an average 50 percent split for argument's sake, that means excluding marketing expenses the film has to make at least $ 320 mil for Warner Bros just to cover production costs. With marketing costs, to break even this film has to make at least $500 mil for them to think about greenlighting a part 2. We don't know much revenue HBO Max did generate for them so far.

The film is not out of the woods yet, but assuming COVID doesn't get in the way it we could be on track to Part II with long legs in theatres.

Math isn't your strength, is it?

> $160 mil is the film's budget and that doesn't include marketing expenses
> that means excluding marketing expenses the film has to make at least $ 320 mil for Warner Bros just to cover production costs

drganon

Just got back from watching the IMAX version. Overall, I really enjoyed it. The cinematography alone was worth the ticket cost.

Lunarorbit

Never read the dune books but if I had been a dune head for awhile I'd be pissed at grrm for lifting so many themes from the books. That's probably why I'm a little underwhelmed. Plus I watched it at home.

Liked it. I'll watch it again soon. The biggest issue I had was the knife/sword fights with the shields. It was too jumbled and that made it hard to tell what was happening. The constant shift from blue to red on the shields was kinda flimsy.

Razvedka

Banned
Also anybody associated with the production of Dune who may be reading this: please contact me so I can fulfill a life dream of playing a Sarduakar on the big screen.

sol_bad

As expected, HBO Max cut the films legs right off in America. Very sad that Halloween Kills made more money than Dune on opening weekend.
At least it made more money than Bladerunner 2049. So Villenueve's box office gains are improving at least.

Top Bottom