• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dune: Spice Wars - Announcement Trailer

Tschumi

It's going to be a hexagon based grand turn based strategy game.

I'm sorry developers but this ad is Teh jank.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Just remake this, you idiots.

DHJ4tdj.jpg

Last edited:

Life

Dunno about the game but the movie was way overrated. Riddled with repetitive flashbacks and ambient desert/machinery scenes.

Fuz

Banned
I love Funcom to death because of The Secret World. They have incredible writers, over all.

I'm also a huge fan of Dune and Dune 2.

Hope this will be good.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Go behind the scenes of Dune: Spice Wars, the brand-new PC strategy game from Funcom based on the world of Frank Herbert. Dune: Spice Wars will be available in early access in early 2022.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Thats Vladimir Harkonen right?

Can play both factions ( atreides and harkonen) in this game?
Ordos too, hopefully.

"The Raider is far better than a normal truck. It is faster and has excellent weapons."
- Ordos Mentat talking about their customized combat truck.

"This is a pitiful little machine."
- Harkonnen Mentat talking about the Ordos Raider.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dune: Spice Wars is both an RTS and a 4X strategy game, Funcom has revealed - along with a slate of other details.

In a press release, Funcom revealed a bunch of new details about Dune: Spice Wars. Chiefly, it turns out the game is a unique blend of both RTS gameplay and 4X strategy games, featuring "exploration, territory control, economic growth, combat, politics, and spying," all of which blend into the RTS experience.

Additionally, Spice Wars features a base building aspect. You can start out by building your own base of operations for your faction (Arrakeen for the Atreides, for example), but you won't be manually placing buildings on the ground, as the new Dune game is "much larger" than your typical RTS game.

Elsewhere, Funcom reveals five total factions will be playable in Dune: Spice Wars. Right now, only House Atreides and House Harkonnen have been revealed for the new strategy game, but Funcom states there'll be two additional factions added to the game at launch, along with a further fifth faction bundled in further down the early access road.

Dune: Spice Wars is also eyeing up launches on other platforms. Right now, it's pencilled in for an early access launch exclusively through Steam at some point later this year in 2022, but Funcom is actively exploring both launches on other platforms, as well as launches through other PC-based storefronts. Nothing is certain at this point, however.

Finally, Funcom can't confirm mod support for Dune: Spice Wars right now. However, the developer states that if it does see significant demand for mod support at any time after the game enters early access, it'd be "more than happy to look into the possibility." In other words, players will need to be vocal about wanting mod support if they wish to see it added to the strategy game.

Last edited:
I was very late to find out that this game is being developed, as someone who is interested in this franchise and "Dune 2000" in particular, this will be a day 1 purchase for me.

Nickolaidas

Banned
Not really sure if it's an art style choice, or just an art style with the intent of masking lack of talent, or lack of time to properly render the gritty world of Dune.

Will probably look better in motion. Not ready of condemning this right off the bat. Dune II was the first RTS game I've played and I played the living shit out of it almost 25 years ago.

Patrick S.

Banned
Playing Dune 2 on the Amiga with my friend is one of my life's most treasured memories.

This new game looks way too sterile. I'll watch Karak's review and go based on that, but right now, my hype level is at 1%.

Reactions: Isa

VN1X

Banned
I actually like the look of this. However it's a 4X game and I can barely make my way around RTS games these days so... I will probably never play this.

Playing Dune 2 on the Amiga with my friend is one of my life's most treasured memories.

This new game looks way too sterile. I'll watch Karak's review and go based on that, but right now, my hype level is at 1%.

I agree it seems very sterile and you're not really sucked into it much.

Last edited:

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Dune: Spice Wars Early Access reviewed by Leana Hafer on PC.

Overall, I'm very impressed so far with Dune: Spice Wars. There are some balancing issues with the victory conditions and espionage mechanics, as well as the kind of minor bugs you'd expect from early access, but it's a layered, clever, generally well-balanced RTS with strong faction diversity, and it feels more or less finished even in its current early access state. The map looks great, and forces you to make interesting decisions about its deadly terrain and even deadlier inhabitants. Most remarkably, it manages to lay a lot of complex systems on the table while rarely feeling overstuffed or overwhelming. If this is just the launching pad for our adventures on Arrakis, I look forward to seeing where this one eventually lands, and I have no hesitation about recommending that strategy fans jump in now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom