• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dungeon Encounters: Square Enix single-player dungeon exploration RPG

Did anyone else buy this yet? Came out today, I've download it but haven't got around to playing yet. Wondering if it's even worth having an OT.
I got it. Probably wont be able to give a ton of impressions for a bit, but I'll try. Surprisingly busy literally every day of the week for a while.

near

Gold Member
I got it. Probably wont be able to give a ton of impressions for a bit, but I'll try. Surprisingly busy literally every day of the week for a while.

Likewise, I won't be able to get around to it until tomorrow. I don't want to give it a half hearted playthrough right now. It would be really cool to read some impressions and get some discussion going I'm pretty excited to play this.

I think certain people are going to dig this game a lot more than they expect. Comes off very similar to Voice of Cards. All the menus and the layout is interesting in its unwavering plainness. Its like reading a D&D spreadsheet. Feels simplistic and streamlined but also intellectual. Uematsu music is on point. Great battle them on solo guitar.

If you like Voice of Cards then put this on your radar.

Tschumi

if this game deserves an ot

my latest soiled tissue deserves an ot

no diss on OP, this game is just... well it's a mobile game, it's like what would happen if you put shinren through a spaghetti grinder

The problem is Voice of Cards is coming in two weeks and close behind it SMT5, I have no room for another RPG.
There's zero rush on this. Get it cheap and it'll be a nice simple and odd game. I like it because its just so weirdly plain and different. But its just battles and walking around. Like Wizardry. Just super simple.

Reactions: Isa

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
There's zero rush on this. Get it cheap and it'll be a nice simple and odd game. I like it because its just so weirdly plain and different. But its just battles and walking around. Like Wizardry. Just super simple.
But I still would say they could have done more with it environments. The reason I like Voice of Cards aesthetics is because I like how created their towns, fields and its entire world with cards.

Shifty1897

After watching some impressions, I don't think this game is for me. Actraiser and Voice of Cards will get my money instead.

Ok so three hours in and this game seems actually really good. The battle system is pretty interesting, I like that the physical/magic defense point system makes you plan out your turns to be the most effective and efficient. I also like how weapons are either fixed damage or totally random, which again really allows you to plan turns out when you know (or don't know) exactly how much damage you will do each attack. Exploring seems fun so far and I can imagine the later maps will get very complex. I do sort of hope some sort of story (even some vague flavor text would be nice) emerges eventually, or at the very least the character backstories end up getting fleshed out more, but it wouldn't be a deal breaker if it doesn't.

My only worry is that since the game is so reliant on battling, and that pretty much every weapon or armor is just the same thing as the previous but with higher numbers, it might get stale towards the end. But so far, so good.

uhhh...... maybe this would be considered a spoiler but if you ever encounter a mouse with a bag of gold RUN IMMEDIATELY

this enemy only attacks by stealing money, and one of the attacks steals 10k gold. At the time I fought one I had maybe 2k gold, and figured well that sucks, but I can easily get it back. Then it stole 10k a few more times and I just laughed because I figured I already have none I may as well keep trying to fight it.

EXCEPT YOU CAN HAVE NEGATIVE MONEY FOR SOME REASON

I seriously ended the fight after it ran away with -27k gold. Fights give me a few hundred per at most. What the fuck. I'm genuinely considering just restarting because it might be quicker than getting out of this hole, especially because I can't even upgrade my equipment to go deeper into the dungeon, where I might be able to make better money to get out of this hole.

I like this game but this is one of the dumbest things ever, it's either a baffling oversight or a baffling decision to keep as a game mechanic.

uhhh...... maybe this would be considered a spoiler but if you ever encounter a mouse with a bag of gold RUN IMMEDIATELY

this enemy only attacks by stealing money, and one of the attacks steals 10k gold. At the time I fought one I had maybe 2k gold, and figured well that sucks, but I can easily get it back. Then it stole 10k a few more times and I just laughed because I figured I already have none I may as well keep trying to fight it.

I seriously ended the fight after it ran away with -27k gold. Fights give me a few hundred per at most. What the fuck. I'm genuinely considering just restarting because it might be quicker than getting out of this hole, especially because I can't even upgrade my equipment to go deeper into the dungeon, where I might be able to make better money to get out of this hole.

I like this game but this is one of the dumbest things ever, it's either a baffling oversight or a baffling decision to keep as a game mechanic.
I'm glad I read this spoiler. Holy shit lol.

Buggy Loop

How the fuck do you owe money to a thief 🤣

• LOL

Danjin44

Its sad to see this game is not getting reviews, is it because its not high profile game? I'm guessing same thing going to happen to Voice of Cards

• Thoughtful
Its sad to see this game is not getting reviews, is it because its not high profile game? I'm guessing same thing going to happen to Voice of Cards
nah, Voice of Cards is going to get reviews eventually I'm sure. It got multiple previews, despite shadow dropping a demo.

Dungeons Encounters will probably get reviews eventually as well.

Danjin44

nah, Voice of Cards is going to get reviews eventually I'm sure. It got multiple previews, despite shadow dropping a demo.

Dungeons Encounters will probably get reviews eventually as well.
I hope you are right, both these game are unique and interesting take on RPGs and I like to see them get some exposure.

I'm glad I read this spoiler. Holy shit lol.
How the fuck do you owe money to a thief 🤣
I know right? Like what the hell haha

I ended up just trudging forward because I lucked into getting some decent drops and am finally back in the black but man... what a wild game. A related tip: the battles are numbered for a reason. If you see one on the map that is 50 numbers higher than the rest of them, consider NOT walking there.

I know right? Like what the hell haha

I ended up just trudging forward because I lucked into getting some decent drops and am finally back in the black but man... what a wild game. A related tip: the battles are numbered for a reason. If you see one on the map that is 50 numbers higher than the rest of them, consider NOT walking there.
I'm only on floor 4 lol. I appreciate the tips. I finally had about 1000 G and had to walk all the way back down to floor 1 without a map to be able to shop for anything. Even getting 1 step up on the weapons is like quadrupling my damage, so I'm just crushing it so far but clearly just at the very beginning of the game.

I'm hearing that people are even going to the academy and swapping out members to level them up to have back ups ready lol. I'm sure it gets very tough soon.

Furball

No lol , It is not oversight , those enemy are intent to punish you or reward you . You should getting ability to make enemy Code visable . All enemy has a code , you will know which type of enemy in that code to advoid , enemy with weird letter like "FC ,9C...." at low level floor are must advoid becasue they significnat higher level or out right like the enemy that steal your money or banish you to the void which can permanent kill your team without ability to prevent banish

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
It'll be swept under the bus like Metallic Child. Not high profile but very good games. Voice of Cards will probably get some spotlight due to Nintendo promoting it and the Yoko Taro cult will make sure word gets around.

ranmafan

Been playing the last few days and honestly, this is turning into my surprise of the year. The gameplay is so solid and just sucks me into the game. I love the little things like the puzzles to find treasure and such in the game. The simple look works to an advantage too for me, really gets my imagination going. I love a good dungeon crawler and this one is a real treat. A huge surprise that may make it into my top ten this year.

Been playing the last few days and honestly, this is turning into my surprise of the year. The gameplay is so solid and just sucks me into the game. I love the little things like the puzzles to find treasure and such in the game. The simple look works to an advantage too for me, really gets my imagination going. I love a good dungeon crawler and this one is a real treat. A huge surprise that may make it into my top ten this year.
I honestly can't stop playing. I even got to the point where I was down to one single character left and about to just quit instead of restarting, but managed to put together an epic wanderer search that got me high level characters and weapons that made my party even better than the one I lost.

The ultimate cause was my own greed for clearing tiles and not immediately leaving, but I stepped on a trap floor somewhere in the 40s that dropped me literally to floor 91. Went around clearing tiles, accidentally got in a fight and wiped, send a low level party down to rescue, and actually pulled it off - only to step on another floor trap on the 91st floor that dropped me out the bottom of the dungeon and made everyone in my party wanderers lol. I wasn't really searching for wanderers until then so I had nobody in reserve and had to pull it off with a single character. Thankfully the game gives you so many movement options that you really can explore anywhere if you are careful enough.

I'm hooked on it as well. Just so easy to jump in when you strip away everything but the gameplay. Really shows me that it is all I truly care about most of the time.

One of my party members just got fucking eaten in one bite and then the monster ran away. The only way to get them back is to try and fight the same kind of monster on that floor until they drop them lol. This game is just great.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
This game isn't for casuals. I had to restart TWICE when I get to floor 13 and with the levels I attained. It's fucking good but man... The music sucks. I just play it with no sound.

This game isn't for casuals. I had to restart TWICE when I get to floor 13 and with the levels I attained. It's fucking good but man... The music sucks. I just play it with no sound.
Yeah. I am on floor 27. Barely making it. Then a party member got fucking eaten. Meaning I'm down a person I've been building for 10 hrs and the next time I get in a fight I might wipe the whole party. And then turned on my wandering detector and just happened to find a new party member and lucked out. Now going back down a floor to find my consumed party member.

Okay now I'm a little pissed lol. Ran into a flying saucer 60 levels above me. Just kept trying to run over and over. Then they abducted a party member and flew off. What the fuck man lol.

• LOL
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom