• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DVD defeats Blu-Ray(Basic and Ultra combined) by 16% during the last quarter of 2019 among top selling movies.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
DVD being cheaper for new releases surely plays a big part in this. Also BRs come in a fuckton of different versions, you have the regular, the 3D, the 4K, the special edition, the special special edition etc and they can get ridiculously expensive. You usually only get 1 DVD version so confused people will go for that.

The difference between DVD and BR was striking to me even on a 480p EDTV set. Haven’t really watched a DVD on a recent TV set with a good upscaler though, maybe it’s passable and some people really don’t notice a difference?

In a country like Italy there’s plenty of people with a mountain/seaside house that still has a 720p TV or even a CRT connected to a cheap DVD player (my family has precisely such a house, I bought a 720p TV last summer ‘cuz the old 20‘‘ CRT couldn’t be used for newer game consoles anymore). These people are not going to upgrade those sets so they ain’t buying a BR they can’t watch while on vacation, hence why DVD is still going strong among those who still buy physical movies.

sunnysideup

Banned
Blue ray/uhd is the new laserdisc. And its fucking awesome. Its not for you..but there is 100s of small labels releasing pristine prints of classic films. Every time i get a new film from arrow, 88 films, indicator, i giggle like a little bitch. Films shot on film is a beautiful thing.

I never cared for dvd, i pirated the shit out of 00s... And i embraced streaming with open arms.. But streaming turned out to be the biggest bollocks ever.

Facts:

New films suck ass,
Made for streaming films suck ass,
Back catalogs on streaming services suck ass
Browsing catalogs on streaming services sucks ass.
Streaming sucks ass. its a fact.

if you have any interest in cinema. bluray is where its at.

im telling you bd is fucking laserdisc 2.0.....GOLDEN ERA... and i am saving up to buy an pioneer ELITE player.

I don't buy movies or TV shows but even so I only go up to 1080p even though my TV can support 4K. Why? Because why the fuck do I want some shitty movie in 4K taking up a shit ton of HDD space?

Son Tofu

Banned
I still buy DVDs. Mostly because half the crap I want to watch is old and isn't getting produced on BR discs. I have slowly been making the transition to digital though.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
There's more DVD players and devices that play DVDs in the wild than there are devices that play Blu-Ray discs.

DVDs are cheaper than Blu-Rays.

Most folks think DVD looks "fine" and are more than happy with it. The jump to high def isn't enough for them.

New films suck ass,

A24-Films-Streaming.jpg

These always have great UHD transfers (although their very recent tendency to put the Rotten Tomatoes scores on the covers suck ass).

Physical media is bound to die or continue to sell less and less. DVD has been around for much longer and BDs have arrived at the dawn of streaming media, so its death has also come early.

Last edited:
Had to do a lot of international traveling the last 4-5 years so I gave away my Blu Ray collection (60-70) total to a family member. Only bought the stuff I really loved on that format. Now living in a part of the US where internet is not great so having been debating on jumping back into the Blu-Ray collection again or wait a few more years to see what’s the better physical option for the money.

I have a small blu-ray collection, but lately all I've bought are digital movies for use through Vudu/Movies Anywhere. They're just too cheap; you can get a ton of HD movies not on streaming services for $2.15 each (including tax) if you know how to do it, and plenty of others you can find for <$6, often in 4k. The quality is worse than a disc, but it's just way cheaper. And if I truly want to watch a movie that isn't on streaming or isn't cheap digitally, or I just have to have that blu-ray quality, I can always put in the effort to get it from the library.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Blue ray/uhd is the new laserdisc. And its fucking awesome. Its not for you..but there is 100s of small labels releasing pristine prints of classic films. Every time i get a new film from arrow, 88 films, indicator, i giggle like a little bitch. Films shot on film is a beautiful thing.

I never cared for dvd, i pirated the shit out of 00s... And i embraced streaming with open arms.. But streaming turned out to be the biggest bollocks ever.

Facts:

New films suck ass,

im telling you bd is fucking laserdisc 2.0.....GOLDEN ERA... and i am saving up to buy an pioneer ELITE player.
What made Laserdiscs extremely cool to me were how they looked. I'd 100% be into buying blu-rays more than buying into streaming, if they looked like this:

november-2019-mecklenburgwestern-pomerania-parchim-video-store-and-picture-id1185528709

laser-disc.jpg

I would easily buy a full-on collection of album-sized movies if that were the case. But Blu-Ray's don't look like this. They don't look that cool.

I don't want to collect this:

18142_4.jpg

It doesn't give me the same album-like feeling that a laserdisc does. Instead it gives me that cheap plastic feel that every DVD and CD gave before it, and that sucks.

As a matter of fact, nothing ever will look like laserdisc ever again aesthetically when it comes to movies, and that's just sad to me. So I can't fully agree with you here.

Last edited by a moderator:

GloveSlap

I buy 4k blus and have access to most streaming apps. I like them both. Hopefully they can co-exist, but stores are definitely shrinking their movie section.

4k blus can be expensive, but i've built up a respectabe collection by mostly buying on sale/black fridays and then selling the digital codes.

sol_bad

I will continue to rent movies for stream but I will forever stick to physical media for buying. Sound and picture is just better.

nush

Gold Member
I have a small blu-ray collection, but lately all I've bought are digital movies for use through Vudu/Movies Anywhere. They're just too cheap; you can get a ton of HD movies not on streaming services for $2.15 each (including tax) if you know how to do it, and plenty of others you can find for <$6, often in 4k. The quality is worse than a disc, but it's just way cheaper. And if I truly want to watch a movie that isn't on streaming or isn't cheap digitally, or I just have to have that blu-ray quality, I can always put in the effort to get it from the library.

Just go 4K if you're only rebuying. Only very few movies I upgraded to 4K from Blu ray. But If I didn't have the blu rays then I'd just have the better versions.

Damn streaming and DVDs, I really hope they will have 8K physical format cause I am skipping 4K.
That's gonna be like vinyl records for me. The endgame of collecting.

SkylineRKR

I've bought Blu Ray for a few years until I stopped going physical for movies. Since then I got rid of all that and only stream. Blu Ray already saw a decline compared to the DVD from VHS transition. VHS was cumbersome, took lots of space, rewind the fucking thing after watching, wear, lossy quality etc. DVD was consistent quality, just load in the disc and eject, jump to scenes. It was a quantum leap. BR was the exact same stuff at higher resolution not even that visible on lots of shitty HD LCD sets from mid 00's. Someone mentioned confusion, good point. There is 3D BR, 4K BR.. Sometimes I had a 3D casing in hand, thinking it wouldn't work so I looked elsewhere for the regular version. DVD is simply one format without gimmicks. It works, even on BR players. I figure lots of parents don't even know their kids console play BR. But they automatically suspect it plays DVD which it does. For them it was easier to discern VHS tapes and discs, than BR and DVD.

I felt a lot of classic movies weren't worth it to upgrade already way back, I've always kept BttF, Goodfellas etc on DVD. I only bought BR versions of new releases. 4K BR I was never interested in from the get go despite owning a 4K TV for several years now. What was also offputting to me were those anti piracy messages when you load up a disc. Come the fuck on, why punish honest buyers with that shit?

The Blu Ray push by Sony was really useless and cost them so much while we were on the verge of streaming anyway.

DVD though, I think its shit quality nowadays. I mean television channels broadcast movies in better quality than that. Thats for me the sign to say goodbye.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

BR never took off here, dvd was the last physical medium people adopted. blu-ray is just for the 1% enthusiast. the increased price over DVD killed it instantly and digital media became the norm. What is not on a streaming service today or downloadable might as well not exist.

Then on top of it a lot of series never got on blu-ray to start with which makes the selection extremely limited to start with.

Last edited:

sunnysideup

Banned

Facts:

New films suck ass,

I have never been more on point on this fucking forum. If i could "like" this post. I would.

TonyK

My thoughts are that most of the people who value image quality stream their content and don’t bother buying BR.
Weird reasoning. In my case, as I value image quality I buy blurays (4k if it's a new released movie). Most of the streaming platforms have too much image compression for my tastes. However, I must say Disney+ image quality is enough for me. With that streaming quality I would buy digital movies instead of blurays.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I still see DVD's in stores for £9.99 which is a joke because Amazon/HMV are selling the same film on Blu-ray for £7.99 and the DVD for £2.99
and this is why.
there are people with 4K TV's and are still buying DVD's & using Netflix
this also includes audio & music.
Years ago people would have decent Hi-Fi and AV Equipment
And there was a wide selection of electronics that would make the house shake with quality speakers

Now it's all headphones with phones and iPhone docks & soundbars.
You want a proper system?
You have to go AV and then search for decent speakers which will cost you hundreds per item

JSoup

Banned
Oh no lmao.

There is exactly one thing on that list I agree with and it's the first thing. I really liked at early on when DVDs were new, some interactive stuff came out of it. It's at least better than just dead air, but maybe that's just me. I've not watched a lot of blu-ray movies, but every one I've seen is exactly what he said: a lifeless stock image and a "play" button. This is purely an aesthetic thing and not a deal breaker. Just something I was hoping would continue.

As for continued DVD sales, I'd assume most of the sales come from purpose-made dollar bins. There was an article about Walmart a number of years ago about how they specifically request hundreds of copies of various movies for the purposes of selling them for a $1 each. The net effect of people skipping over the new releases and buying several cheaply printed discs in one go works out to better profits.

Last edited:

kyussman

I had a break from gaming recently and decided to beef up my movie collection,I tend to buy newer sci-fi type movies on blu-ray but I'm more than happy to buy dvd's for many other films....they are so fucking cheap now and look totally fine on my PS4.

GloveSlap

There is exactly one thing on that list I agree with and it's the first thing. I really liked at early on when DVDs were new, some interactive stuff came out of it. It's at least better than just dead air, but maybe that's just me. I've not watched a lot of blu-ray movies, but every one I've seen is exactly what he said: a lifeless stock image and a "play" button. This is purely an aesthetic thing and not a deal breaker. Just something I was hoping would continue.

As for continued DVD sales, I'd assume most of the sales come from purpose-made dollar bins. There was an article about Walmart a number of years ago about how they specifically request hundreds of copies of various movies for the purposes of selling them for a $1 each. The net effect of people skipping over the new releases and buying several cheaply printed discs in one go works out to better profits.
I don't miss the gimmicky menus at all. They were novel for a minute then just became a chore. That Simpsons set where you have to spin the wheel like 4 times before you could watch being one of the worst offenders.

JSoup

Banned
I don't miss the gimmicky menus at all. They were novel for a minute then just became a chore. That Simpsons set where you have to spin the wheel like 4 times before you could watch being one of the worst offenders.

That does sound terrible, wow.
The good ones stand out, though. End of Evangelion having the slow terror morph screens, Shrek 1 being an animated cast shot, Harry Potter 3 (? 4?) having a really detailed dungeon crawl mini-game built into it. And it wasn't small, either, a perfect run could a tad over half an hour. Stuff like that.

Monokrom

I have a small collection of blu-ray and UHD (about 400). I got rid of almost all dvd, just as I did with VHS.
Can't for my life understand people getting 55-75" 4K or 8K televisions and still buy dvd.

Rikkori

Can't for my life understand people getting 55-75" 4K or 8K televisions and still buy dvd.
People just have their TVs really far away from where they're sitting in general from what I've noticed. They just don't care about quality for the most part.

BigBooper

Some movies just aren't impacted enough by the 4k difference to justify buying them, especially if you already owned the dvd. For example, I just bought a collection of Jerry Lewis movies on dvd. Some of them are probably on bluray, but the dvd set cost me $10.

It just depends on the type of movie for me. I recently bought Heat on Bluray, Uncle Buck on DVD and Apollo 13 on 4K.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
12-28-19-UHDMarketShare-300x175.jpg

This is pretty sad because Blu-Ray, health risks aside, was supposed to be the next DVD and failed. Badly.

Now with the increased ownership of HD TVs and 4K displays you would think that Blu Ray would finally pick-up, especially with all the promotions, BR&DVD combos, and bundles including free digital codes included in box. But DVD is still destroying Blu-Ray even with all these advantages.

People would rather buy a Blu-Ray player or an upscaled DVD player, to play their DVD's on 1080p and 4K displays not Blu-Ray's, which clearly tells us the people have spoken loud and clear: Consumers are not interested in Blu-Ray and will continue to choose DVD even 14 long years later. This is very telling and shows how much of a failure this venture has been.

The data is from NPD so it's a pretty reliable source painting a pretty grim picture.
I think most people have their very expensive TV’s non calibrated and set in some very shitty mode (not even talking about professional calibration, but tweaking the recommended ones you can find online from HDTVTest or the like)…

Bit sad because the quality jump from DVD to BD on a 1080p set and to UHD BD on a 4K one is massive and beats the best streaming TV services.

That even people on this forum do not calibrate / disable tons of image processing bits was clear when people on 55’’ TV’s like the LG C9/CX would say that they do not notice anything wrong at all in the 1080p system UI (it is not shit, but you can notice aliasing/pixelation in icons like the gear one for the Settings app) or not much wrong in the Switch 720p one 😆.

watching DVDs on a 4K screen is not fun so i'll buy blu rays/uhd blu ray. look how small dvd resolution is compared to bluray and even 4K. my poor TV would have its work cut out for it upscaling that garbage DVD resolution. the image is to scale so look how small it is on your display. dvd is pathetic and nobody should be using it unless you have a tv from <2006

QiuPPQC.jpg

Last edited:

JSoup

Banned
When I puts the disk in the machine and I hits the button, if it plays I'm happy. That's the extent of me playing with settings, if it works it's good enough.

thefool

I used to have a pretty big dvd collection (well, i still do) that I eventually stopped because it became obvious a better alternative would eventually exist but I never ended up collecting that much BR for a multitude of reasons: much smaller catalogue, less value in the released products, i fucking hate the whole blu-trademark, a future beyond 1080p and because the cost stopped making sense. One of the most surprising things to me is that it's the industry itself that doomed physical media with unreasonable pricing.

I miss collecting it tho, it's so much more than buying stuff to watch. I loved everything about it, searching for the best options, looking for the best deals, curation, finding new gems. One of my greatest pleasures when I was a kid (before I collected anything) was going to stores film-sections and look through it, find old movies, alternative genres, gems that I simply had no access beyond whatever was on a broadcaster catalogue. It saddens me deeply that I go to stores today and the film section is filled with memorabilia, funko pops and related garbage instead of...movies.

Younger generations consume media based on algorithms that privileges newer releases and a very homogeneous catalogue to everyone. Even tho accessibility changed for the better, it somehow lead to an even more tunneled consumerism.

Last edited:
Top Bottom