• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dyack: "NeoGAF...I would say is probably the worst forum." Response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
FightyF said:
If you want to see criticism done right, look at the Resistance 2 thread where people were mentioning specifics, and not just calling the game "shit" looking.
Eh, no. A lot of that was just the graduation from monosyllabic "shit" and "bad art" phrases to pseudo-technical babble that wasn't any more relevant or insightful critique than just sticking with the more obvious troll phrases. Chicago has inferior lighting to Iceland. Hello.

Kittonwy

Banned
drohne said:
there are several weird things about this analogy -- the hackneyed power fantasy, the knife that appears out of nowhere, the belief that sticking up for one's own game is somehow altruistic -- but i particularly like that both the woman and her gallant rescuer are played by denis dyack. the man's egoism is epic and fascinating in just the way that his games aren't

Well I guess someone's been listening to a lot of Peter Zetera.
Indifferent2.gif

Chrange

Banned
frankthurk said:
There would never have been an R2 For or Against thread. Period.

That thread came after what...a year and a half of trolling the game - even by mods? Who can tell if they'd have done the same thing or not, after taking abuse against both their game and themselves (FAT JOKES, THE PINNCALE OF INTERNET HUMOR) for that long.

Zeliard

FightyF said:
Yeah, but I'm not part of said "hive-mind". I'm not on GAF IRC all day and look at the red tag by my name, I got it because I said that I hoped that they would turn down the blur in F1:CE. I am clearly NOT a part of any hive mind here.

Er.... did I say you were? I'm specifically saying that any hivemind mentality in this thread has been very limited. There are a pretty good variety of opinions on the Dyack banning. I do, however, think there was a negative hivemind mentality going on with Too Human on GAF before the demo came out and people could get their hands on it.

And that's why I personally don't think the banning was deserved. Both sides are at fault in some way, though EvilLore is in an admittedly tough position when Dyack trashes his forum in places where EvilLore is unable to respond. That's why even though I also disagree with the publicity of the banning, I still understand why he did it since it was his form of a public response to Dyack. Shitty situation all around, hopefully we can all move on.

Joates

Banned
Azih said:
Unlike Dyack this is as public a platform as EviLore has.

And go ahead and keep on pretending the official thread doesn't exist.

So theres an official Dennis Dyack banning thread too?

Miniboss1232 said:
I'm pretty sure you're the one doing the "elevating". Evilore put a stop to this crying that's been going on for two years now, and many on GAF are pleased. Simple as that. I believe you're the one that's making too much out of this.

By the way, the situation on NeoGAF with Dyack will have no effect on the sales of Too Human. A niche is a niche is a niche.

Go reread the first page of this thread, and see how it looks...

Oh and this
evilore put a stop to this crying that's been going on for two years now, and many on GAF are pleased. Simple as that. I believe you're the one that's making too much out of this.

How exactly did evilore stop dyack from doing anything, if anything he gave dyack more fuel.

Chrange said:
That thread came after what...a year and a half of trolling the game - even by mods? Who can tell if they'd have done the same thing or not, after taking abuse against both their game and themselves (FAT JOKES, THE PINNCALE OF INTERNET HUMOR) for that long.

Yes, but you can't argue that they might have in Dyack's defense. I've seen some pretty lame comments in the the RFOM 2 thread. JTS either takes the high ground and ignores it or, makes a sensible comment like, "why don't you wait for something from the final build with polish before you berate a game." None of which sounds like, "are you for or against"

Calcaneus

I still don't see why this banning couldn't have been done privately, like through PMs. All this thread did besides chest-thumping was prolong this dumb fight, soon Dyack is going to respond and we're going to start the cycle all over again.

Chrange said:

No. Listen... it wouldn't have happened. You may not have gotten any info at all on GAF, but there wouldn't be a fit thrown. It makes no sense, it doesn't help the developer or the game.

suffah

Does maths and stuff
DCharlie said:
Dyack insults GAF, people come to see what the fuss is about
GAF insults Dyack, people go to see what his game is about

I have a feeling that , sales wise, the game isn't going to be the flop people think it will be, and i think the GAF drama has helped the games cause.

I had 0 interest in the game. Thought it was just another generic FPS. Going to download the demo tonight after work. Will pick up if I have fun.

Joates

Banned
Zeliard said:
Er.... did I say you were? I'm specifically saying that any hivemind mentality in this thread has been very limited. There are a pretty good variety of opinions on the Dyack banning. I do, however, think there was a negative hivemind mentality going on with Too Human on GAF before the demo came out and people could get their hands on it.

And that's why I personally don't think the banning was deserved. Both sides are at fault in some way, though EvilLore is in an admittedly tough position when Dyack trashes his forum in places where EvilLore is unable to respond. That's why even though I also disagree with the publicity of the banning, I still understand why he did it since it was his form of a public response to Dyack. Shitty situation all around, hopefully we can all move on.

Now can we rewind for a second here....

Zeliard said:
A shitload of people have been defending Dyack in this thread. There's no hivemind here. The GAF hivemind with relation to Dyack/Too Human was going on pre-demo, when the game was being constantly shat on here. After the demo, that lessened considerably, and the Too Human supporters started being more vocal as they were either drowned out or simply stayed away from Too Human threads on GAF previously.

Wow, nice to see all of GAF has the memory span of about 5 minutes. :lol

Zeliard

Joates said:
Now can we rewind for a second here....

Wow, nice to see all of GAF has the memory span of about 5 minutes. :lol

Let's not stoop to arguing semantics, especially when you fail to even argue against the actual point I was making.

Joates

Banned
kamorra said:
Wow, you really like to prove your hivemind theory.

:lol No. Just that people like to take sides without really putting much thought or care about what their typing, almost as though it were a... nvm.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
GAF does not have a hivemind, there are way too many disagreements on this forum for it to be a hivemind forum.

Joates

Banned
Zeliard said:
Let's not stoop to arguing semantics, especially when you fail to even argue against the actual point I was making.

Denying something outright in one post, then a page later saying, well maybe there is some (which if I recall is similar to my point) is not just sematics. Its a key point.

Zeliard

Joates said:
:lol No. Just that people like to take sides without really putting much thought or care about what their typing, almost as though it were a... nvm.

Good to see you're as shitty at forming an argument on the gaming side as you are on OT.

GSG Flash

Dr_Cogent said:
I could have sworn I remember him getting perma banned for something. Not sure what it was.

Probably for being a douche (which he is) and complaining about his virginity and inability to get women.

Xenon

One issue I had with what Denis did was not call this the worst forum to "our face" and instead doing it in an interview. I guess I was wrong

The Thread

His Post #461

(04-19-2006, 08:29 AM)

Excellent start Frank - I am glad you find it is so “easy”. Now please for the "record", who are you? What company do you work for? What games have you made? Please post some links to some interviews you have done. Stop by and say hello at E3 and we can talk about what you hate and what you consider humble.

I think it is “easy” to hide behind anonymity and difficult to post as yourself. David, myself and other developers who do, immediately set ourselves up for this garbage. We all have our reasons for doing what we do. Personally, I do it because I enjoy the honesty of the approach despite all the negative ramifications.

David, thanks for the support and kind words! God of War was an excellent game and one of my personal favorites. I look forward to playing your next game!

For all those haters who think you are clever by doing things like typing your name backwards, you are doing yourself a disservice. Kobold is right on the money, you don’t know me or frankly much about the games industry at all. The English language is an imperfect medium of communication. Clips, quotes from interviews are small slices of reality. Forums are even worse, and this one is perhaps “the” worst.

I believe in what are trying to do as developers. We want to make a positive difference in the industry. Hopefully we can. If we can’t so be it but at least we tried. If you don’t like what I say, then don’t listen. If you don’t like Too Human, great I would love to hear about it. If you do like it even better, then we feel we have accomplished something.

If you don’t like how I look – well I really don’t give a damn.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Joates, kk, said what you had to say, time to move on before you hijack the thread for your own purposes.

Tiktaalik said:
Hey where the hell is Ark-AMN? That guy was the biggest Silicon Knights fanboy of all time.

He was permabanned for Dyack-related insanity, but he's actually been messaging me here and there for a while now talking about how he has had a serious change of heart about Too Human and Dyack after the 1up Yours podcast and related scandals. I'll paste a couple of the messages here since he wanted to have a chance to say it:

Ark-AMN: Too bad I cannot participate in the Too Human threads anymore, I'd love to say how I don't like Denis or SK anymore. I lost a ton of respect for him for his behavior.

EviLore: Heh, that's surprising, even after a lot of other people changed their stance. You were pretty much the #1 supporter.

Ark-AMN: Yeah, I like SK's games, but Denis' behavior needs a facelift. No other head of a company should act like he does. It's cool to be passionate of what you work on, but don't start getting personal with internet message forums of all things.

Joates

Banned
Zeliard said:
Good to see you're as shitty at forming an argument on the gaming side as you are on OT.

:lol Whatever man, read the link to the thread I posted just recently, and say my claims were unjust...

Azih

Joates said:
So theres an official Dennis Dyack banning thread too?
That would be this one and has nothing to do with the fact that there are PLENTY OF POSITIVE WORDS ABOUT TOO HUMAN on this forum and you're ignoring that in defending your laughable accusation of a GAF hivemind.

How exactly did evilore stop dyack from doing anything
He stopped him from posting on GAF.

Wow, nice to see all of GAF
See right there you've generalized one poster Zeliard to all of GAF which is an extreme level of either intellectual dishonesty or extremely muddled thinking.

And I will repeat again, that Dyack's behaviour has created something approaching a consensus on GAF says far more about DYACK than it does about GAF.

Edit: And that's it from me for you Joates.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Denis should go to the Gametrailers forum to see how low you can actually get :D

(There are some ridiculously insane threads there)

Gbeav

Banned
I think that Dennis got his thoughts on internet forums more across on this thread by not even being involved and letting others speak for him.

Chrange

Banned
I hope they kick a new Turok game into production so we can see how that game and its development team handle hardcore trolling. :D

Joates

Banned
EviLore said:
Joates, kk, said what you had to say, time to move on before you hijack the thread for your own purposes.

He was permabanned for Dyack-related insanity, but he's actually been messaging me here and there for a while now talking about how he has had a serious change of heart about Too Human and Dyack after the 1up Yours podcast and related scandals. I'll paste a couple of the messages here since he wanted to have a chance to say it:

Ark-AMN: Too bad I cannot participate in the Too Human threads anymore, I'd love to say how I don't like Denis or SK anymore. I lost a ton of respect for him for his behavior.

EviLore: Heh, that's surprising, even after a lot of other people changed their stance. You were pretty much the #1 supporter.

Ark-AMN: Yeah, I like SK's games, but Denis' behavior needs a facelift. No other head of a company should act like he does. It's cool to be passionate of what you work on, but don't start getting personal with internet message forums of all things.

Alright, fair enough, as a parting post, I would like to say:

If no one else can see the irony in this statement, well then...

Dazzyman

DCharlie said:
Dyack insults GAF, people come to see what the fuss is about
GAF insults Dyack, people go to see what his game is about

I have a feeling that , sales wise, the game isn't going to be the flop people think it will be, and i think the GAF drama has helped the games cause.

Agree totally.

I always tend to stay out of getting into debates and arguments on forums I always have. I have to admit Id not really payed too much attention to all the stuff going on since the preview berating backwards and forward between people. With all whats happened in last 24hours I find alot of it very daft. You have all wound each other up over it I just dont know why he didnt just get banned yonks ago if he was slagging your forum off as it saves feeding the troll because once you ban someone it stops negativity both ways.

I just feel all of you have shown yourselfs up over it from both sides. Its sometimes better not to rise to the bait and ban em quietly and get on with it. When you argue with each other it brings everyone else into it. You shouldnt publicly go off on one about banning someone either and Im talking both sides on this. I can understand both points of view on it but quite frankly Im sick of hearing about it already and Id love it if everyone could just move on.

GSG Flash

wmat said:
Denis should go to the Gametrailers forum to see how low you can actually get :D

(There are some ridiculously insane threads there)

Do they still give out Gametrailer dollars for every post? I remember when they started that shit, the amount of idiocy in one place, just to get gtd's, was astounding.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
GSG Flash said:
Do they still give out Gametrailer dollars for every post? I remember when they started that shit, the amount of idiocy in one place, just to get gtd's, was astounding.
I don't know, never been a member. There are some things you just DON'T do. Diving into the GT comment treadmill is one of them, at least in my opinion.

Zeliard

Joates said:
Denying something outright in one post, then a page later saying, well maybe there is some (which if I recall is similar to my point) is not just sematics. Its a key point.

It's not a key point at all. What do you think "very limited" means? It means limited nearly to the point of complete triviality. That's what I was trying to say both times, and you are indeed arguing semantics by trying to say that "very limited" and "none" are somehow far off. The point I was trying to make is obvious, but people often stoop to semantics when they have nothing else to say.

jett

D-Member
FightyF said:
Of course, but if trolling Resistance 2 was commonplace for nearly 2 years on this forum, JStevenson could have perhaps reacted differently.

Yeah uh but the difference is R2 hasn't consistently looked like ass for two years. As far as I can tell the hate TH has recieved on this forum since its reveal has been nothing but deserving, coupled with the constant overhype from Dyack and some of the media(before the dreaded leakage of the first footage). I remember how SK ran damage control, swearing up and down it was a superuber early build and that the latest one at e3 2k6 would run much smoother. Come E3 and it looks exactly the same. Lulz.

Actually, the combat looks about the same still.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
davidjaffe said:
Not to say sites like this- and this one in particular- can NOT be influential but I tend to think the influence of hard core sites like this help bring a more obscure game up into the more semi-hard core consciousness- which in turn- will help sales. I do not see it working in the opposite direction.

Did you ever get around to playing Mazes of Fate for the GBA? :)

FightyF

Banned
Fenderputty said:
Yes, but you can't argue that they might have in Dyack's defense. I've seen some pretty lame comments in the the RFOM 2 thread. JTS either takes the high ground and ignores it or, makes a sensible comment like, "why don't you wait for something from the final build with polish before you berate a game." None of which sounds like, "are you for or against"

Again, JTS never took any heat from mods, and was never the focus of personal attacks either. Very, very different situations.

If you treat someone with respect, they will return the favour.

kaching said:
Eh, no. A lot of that was just the graduation from monosyllabic "shit" and "bad art" phrases to pseudo-technical babble that wasn't any more relevant or insightful critique than just sticking with the more obvious troll phrases. Chicago has inferior lighting to Iceland. Hello.

No, that's incorrect. There were clear references to features that were standard in other games, yet not in those early screens (self shadowing for example). Secondly, despite having the same lighting technologies, you could say that one level is lit worse than the other. Ask any mapper.

Even if someone didn't completely understand what they were talking about, it at least generates more positive discussion (in the form of clearing up the incorrect uses of terms) than calling a game "shit".

Anyways, I think I've made myself clear here. Peace out homeboys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom