• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 Interview: You Can be a Joker-like Agent of Chaos, Cross-Gen Confirmed.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

After scoping out the Dying Light 2 demo at E3, I got the chance to ask Chris Avellone, producer Kornel Jaskula, and Techland chief technology officer Paweł Rohleder a few questions. We touch on the game’s visual tech, soundtrack, morality system (or lack thereof), the possibility of this being a cross-gen title, and more, so read on…

The game also looks to have improved visually over the past year. Are you using any fancy new rendering techniques, like, say, ray tracing or DLSS? Would you consider doing so in the future?

Pawel Rohleder: At Techland, we have always been keen on new technologies, especially when it comes to photo-realism and graphical fidelity. Ray tracing has been the holy grail of real-time computer graphics for years, so of course we are looking into it. Regarding DLSS, we are a bit more skeptical, but we are conducting research in that area as well.

What resolution was the demo we saw running at? Definitely looked sharper than 1080p to my eyes. What resolution and features are you looking to deliver on more powerful consoles like the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro?

PR: The demo you saw was running at 2.5K (2560×1440). For Xbox One X and PS4 Pro, we want to run at full HD (1920×1080). It’s too early to specify exclusive features for more powerful consoles, but our top priority is a smooth gameplay experience (parkour, combat, etc.).

Dying Light 2 seems like a good candidate to become a cross-generation title. You’ve hinted at it before, but can you confirm the game will come to next generation consoles?

PR: Techland always has an eye on the latest new toys! To be more specific — yes, the plan since the beginning of production has been to make Dying Light 2 a cross-generation title.

Check the link for more.

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
Dying Light was a very satisfying zombie slasher simulator. The parkour gameplay was also fun, i.e. something I didn't expect considering I hated Mirror's Edge with a vengeance.

Cross Gen confirmed. So I guess I'll buy the PS5 early. Dying Light 2 + Cyberpunk 2077 it is.

I have an absolutely monstrous backlog of games so this decision for me is very easy (i.e. complete my PS4 library before upgrading to next gen) . I also assume the PS5 versions of both these games will be released after all the predictable post-release patches have fixed the main games.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
1080p on X and Pro? Well, the game better be 60fps then. Cross-gen is expected for most games with big budget from now going forward.

Arun1910

1080p on X and Pro? Well, the game better be 60fps then. Cross-gen is expected for most games with big budget from now going forward.

Yeah that 1080p sounds weird. What does that mean base will be resolution wise?

Wasn't the first Dying Light 30fps?

One of the most desperate ways to promote your game by using a culturally relevant references like Joker.

They just answered a question. They never even mentioned Joker themselves.

Is it possible to essentially play the Joker in the game? To pit everyone against each other and sow chaos just for laughs?

CA: Yes. Dying Light 2 is designed to allow the player to play any number of roles – helpful benefactor, selfish looter, ruthless pragmatist, betrayer, or even a trickster if they wish, and you can definitely turn the factions against themselves and individuals against each other. There may be many instances where such behavior earns rewards, both expected and some unexpected… but unexpected consequences as well. While you can orchestrate chaos, there’s also the danger of being swept up in it as well.

Arun1910

Most probably 1080p on base PS4 and 900p on base Xbox one

Hmm. If that's the case I guess the Pro and X versions will just have fancier enhancements rather than a resolution bump to target 60fps easier then. Otherwise I see no reason why a base PS4 would render the same resolution as a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X

Mista

Banned
Hmm. If that's the case I guess the Pro and X versions will just have fancier enhancements rather than a resolution bump to target 60fps easier then. Otherwise I see no reason why a base PS4 would render the same resolution as a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X
Correct. They should've took advantage of the pro and x instead of having the same resolution as the base consoles

Arun1910

Correct. They should've took advantage of the pro and x instead of having the same resolution as the base consoles

The game is still a while off so there could be a chance for a Resolution or Performance setting. 60fps 1080p or 30fps 1440p (or something). It does sound weird to restrict a game to 1080p for those consoles.

GymWolf

They just answered a question. They never even mentioned Joker themselves.

Is it possible to essentially play the Joker in the game? To pit everyone against each other and sow chaos just for laughs?

CA: Yes. Dying Light 2 is designed to allow the player to play any number of roles – helpful benefactor, selfish looter, ruthless pragmatist, betrayer, or even a trickster if they wish, and you can definitely turn the factions against themselves and individuals against each other. There may be many instances where such behavior earns rewards, both expected and some unexpected… but unexpected consequences as well. While you can orchestrate chaos, there’s also the danger of being swept up in it as well.
Hype.

Top Bottom