• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2 might be cross-gen, but co-op is not. PS5 can't play with PS4 players, and likely the same is true for Series X and Xbox One

Heard it first in this video, and then went looking for the exact quote:

Another question was posed on whether or not co-op would feature cross-gen, allowing PS4 players to play with friends who are on PS5. Smektala stated that it won’t be possible at launch, but Techland is “working to make it possible after launch.” A specific timeline of when players could expect this after launch wasn’t provided, but more details about this may come in closer to Dying Light 2's launch.

Something to keep in mind when deciding which of the upcoming big February releases you're going to purchase. That's some lame news considering how cross gen some people say this game looks already and considering how hard it still is to find a Series X or PS5.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That's a bit... strange?

tank wtf GIF

Inviusx

Not necessarily a bad thing. Probably means there are enough differences between old and current gen to prevent the two from talking to each other. Maybe stuff like enemy density etc etc

SJRB

Gold Member
Makes sense. I can only assume that PS5 version has way more objects/enemies than the PS4 version, making it literally impossible to co-op.

Also loading/streaming speed differences might be an issue.

Why would it be the same for Xbox?
Can you name a cross gen game where PS4 and PS5 players can't play together but Xbox One and Series X players can, despite the fact that it has native versions on all four platforms?

Not necessarily a bad thing. Probably means there are enough differences between old and current gen to prevent the two from talking to each other. Maybe stuff like enemy density etc etc

Makes sense. I can only assume that PS5 version has way more objects/enemies than the PS4 version, making it literally impossible to co-op.

Also loading/streaming speed differences might be an issue.

That is a good point, except if this were true I'm not sure how the developers would be working to get around it. The thing is, this all seems to be the exception and not the rule. Just about all cross gen titles are also crossplay.

Are the savegames cross gen ?
Do PS5 owners get an upgrade for the PS4 version?

If so, install both versions on PS5 and switch when a PS4 friend wants to play.

Now there's a good idea. Here's hoping that's the case.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
I hate how many games don't allow PS5 players to play with PS4.

Just seems super lazy on the developers part.

Last edited:
I hate how many games don't allow PS5 players to play with PS4.

Just seems super lazy on the developers part.
Is that really the case, though? I thought just about all cross gen titles had cross gen play, which made this even more frustrating to hear.

I thought I'd bump this again for everyone waiting until reviews before they decide to pre-order. It would be best if people didn't go into the game on the 4th thinking they'll be able to play with their friends, only to find those completely reasonable expectations crushed.

Last edited:

Kerotan

This isn't exactly bad news. Like I hope the new gta v on ps5 doesn't have ps4 players in our lobbies. Don't want you holding us back.

Top Bottom