• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human Official Review Thread

Isa

waiting gif GIF

So early in the year but the wait is terrible. I'm really pumped for this game, the first was really fun, a looker, and helped alleviate a boring early generation. I hope it reviews well but not sure considering how the first game faired, plus I don't give two shits about "critics" opinions especially large sites. The small independent guys and other fellow gamers who have to pay to play, their opinions I respect. Screw MC.

SZips

Finished my review playthrough earlier tonight.

I think that's literally all I'm allowed to say until the embargo lifts.

anthony2690

Banned
Embargo lifts Feb. 2 at 7AM PST/ 10AM EST / 4PM CET

I received my key on the 20th.
If I ask you if you enjoyed the game and think it is good?
Or is it better then first game?

Are you allowed to reply with a gif nodding or shaking its head?

As you're not writing or verbally saying anything?

I assume that would mean you are not breaking any NDAs then :p

Last edited:

BlvckFox

Gold Member
The comments so far have nailed it, I expect around the same MC as the first one, 70-80. If it just improves upon the first game, it should be fucking great! Preordered and super ready for launch.

wipeout364

Waiting the next gen patch for the first game to play it.
I wouldn’t bother just play it now , it looks great on series X and runs really smooth. Also the ssd load times are super short. I am replaying it now, I forgot how good it is. I am really looking forward to the sequel already pre purchased..

Last edited:
An 83-85 is the highest I'll go for the moment because the recent gameplay drops from influencers haven't yet resonated enough with me from a gameplay standpoint. Graphicswise, it looked very good, not gamescom 2019 good, but still very good. The gameplay... it seems to still leave a lot to be desired for me, the game doesn't seem to be this revolution that some people are hyping it up to be and influencers have been overhyping it ad nauseam. From my standpoint, it looks somewhat generic, laborious & quite formulaic in some parts. I'm still not convinced that the game is this dark messiah for zombie survival games it's been made out to be. I don't know if others feel the same, but that's just my opinion.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
What I want to know is where the fuck the PS5 update for the original that was announced ages ago is. I was gonna play through that again (and try to finish it this time) to decide if I want the sequel, but I'm not gonna do it at 1080p30. So I won't be getting the sequel.

If I ask you if you enjoyed the game and think it is good?
Or is it better then first game?

Are you allowed to reply with a gif nodding or shaking its head?

As you're not writing or verbally saying anything?

I assume that would mean you are not breaking any NDAs then :p
We are not allowed to give any actual full on opinion until the embargo. Just be patient. Answering the first 2 question would be breaking embargo.

BigBooper

I am waiting on the orignall Dying light to go on sale but what edtion should I get? I was looking to get all the DLC etc.
Platinum version on pc right now. They announced a next gen upgrade last year, but said nothing else about it other than more details will come in the future.

jaysius

Banned
This will be amazing on sale, Elden Ring is my only purchase next month.

They could have released it this month and been a standout game of the entire month.

It’ll probably get padded 8s and play like a 7.

For “500 hours” this better have some good VARIED combat with some nuances, and maybe some WORTHWHILE RPG elements. No 2% critical chance bullshit in the trees.

Finished my review playthrough earlier tonight.

I think that's literally all I'm allowed to say until the embargo lifts.
One thing I'm really curious about is the lack of cross gen multiplayer support, and any possible workarounds. We know PS4 and PS5 players won't be able to play together (and we can assume the same will be true for Xbox One and Series X). But will there at least be a 60 fps mode on the PS4 version when playing on PS5? And if you play for a while on PS5 and then want to switch to the PS4 version so you can play with your PS4 friends, will the same save files at least be compatible with both versions of the game? Not that I want an answer now. I agree you should always respect your NDA.

It is unfortunate, though, that such a co-op focused game is going to be one of a handful of titles that doesn't offer cross gen multiplayer. The developers have said they're interested in adding it later, but it won't be available at launch.

I'm also going to tag Karak Karak on this one. I'd really be interested in hearing this topic covered in reviews.

One thing I'm really curious about is the lack of cross gen multiplayer support, and any possible workarounds. We know PS4 and PS5 players won't be able to play together (and we can assume the same will be true for Xbox One and Series X). But will there at least be a 60 fps mode on the PS4 version when playing on PS5? And if you play for a while on PS5 and then want to switch to the PS4 version so you can play with your PS4 friends, will the same save files at least be compatible with both versions of the game? Not that I want an answer now. I agree you should always respect your NDA.

It is unfortunate, though, that such a co-op focused game is going to be one of a handful of titles that doesn't offer cross gen multiplayer. The developers have said they're interested in adding it later, but it won't be available at launch.

I'm also going to tag Karak Karak on this one. I'd really be interested in hearing this topic covered in reviews.
I believe co-op is being added later st some point. None of the consoles has cross play between them as far as I am aware. As for the save files, that is a good question. I can try asking my contact and see if they'll answer. These questions are not really related to embargo since they are basic functions of any game and are not gameplay or is the game good/bad type of a question.

Last edited:

hlm666

This will be amazing on sale, Elden Ring is my only purchase next month.

They could have released it this month and been a standout game of the entire month.

It’ll probably get padded 8s and play like a 7.

For “500 hours” this better have some good VARIED combat with some nuances, and maybe some WORTHWHILE RPG elements. No 2% critical chance bullshit in the trees.
I believe the 500 hours will mainly be some grind system like legend ranks in the first game. I think that took 580 hours if you did the fastest mission over and over.

Kupfer

At the risk of some here not liking what I say, I must confess that I don't think DL2 looks like an improvement over the first game. On the contrary. Sure, new elements like kite flying have been added, but somehow everything seems very generic and without a red thread to me.
From promotional trailers that don't live up to their own promises, to trailers that show fights against humans only with jump-cuts, and initial promises of big and far-reaching in-game decisions you can make, then a postponement because they realized the game was getting too complex... it makes me wonder if the developers overestimated themselves and can deliver.
Furthermore, DL1 looked really good in its day. It was one of the first games where I noticed details like fluttering clothes on all the characters in a positive way. It was dusty, authentic, and had great and believable worldbuilding.
DL2, on the other hand, seems too colorful to me, almost like a hermaphrodite of Brink and Far Cry >=3. In addition, there is this alternative medieval fantasy component, which I personally don't like, but that is a matter of taste. On top, the technical progress is missing, since it is still a last-gen title. Even the implementation of ray tracing (which I find dubious based on the trailer, see above) is of no use if the art style is off somehow and the characters look and move like they did 8 years ago.

As I have often written, and apparently you have to nowadays, as soon as you criticize something, because some snowflakes here can no longer deal with criticism regarding "their" games, I'm not trying to hate the game or stir up discontent, I've just become very cautious due to many disappointments of recent years and especially the big games. I would be happy if I am completely wrong and DL2 gets a 90+ rating, but I don't think so at the moment.

Last edited:

Saiyan-Rox

Never did manage to play the first one much it released back when I had a backlog and didn't stop buying more games and just got lost in the pile..

So yeah just ordered this one lol videos look good and looks fun. Only thing I don't like is lack of firearms.

Sure I understand why but I'd rather have the choice of using them.

DonJorginho

Banned
Never did manage to play the first one much it released back when I had a backlog and didn't stop buying more games and just got lost in the pile..

So yeah just ordered this one lol videos look good and looks fun. Only thing I don't like is lack of firearms.

Sure I understand why but I'd rather have the choice of using them.
There are a few firearms in the game that we've seen so far but they're very DIY

Umbasaborne

Banned
An 83-85 is the highest I'll go for the moment because the recent gameplay drops from influencers haven't yet resonated enough with me from a gameplay standpoint. Graphicswise, it looked very good, not gamescom 2019 good, but still very good. The gameplay... it seems to still leave a lot to be desired for me, the game doesn't seem to be this revolution that some people are hyping it up to be and influencers have been overhyping it ad nauseam. From my standpoint, it looks somewhat generic, laborious & quite formulaic in some parts. I'm still not convinced that the game is this dark messiah for zombie survival games it's been made out to be. I don't know if others feel the same, but that's just my opinion.
Yeah the graphical downgrade is most jarring for me. So many ugly textures in recent gameplay. A far cry from what was shown

Inviusx

At the risk of some here not liking what I say, I must confess that I don't think DL2 looks like an improvement over the first game. On the contrary. Sure, new elements like kite flying have been added, but somehow everything seems very generic and without a red thread to me.
From promotional trailers that don't live up to their own promises, to trailers that show fights against humans only with jump-cuts, and initial promises of big and far-reaching in-game decisions you can make, then a postponement because they realized the game was getting too complex... it makes me wonder if the developers overestimated themselves and can deliver.
Furthermore, DL1 looked really good in its day. It was one of the first games where I noticed details like fluttering clothes on all the characters in a positive way. It was dusty, authentic, and had great and believable worldbuilding.
DL2, on the other hand, seems too colorful to me, almost like a hermaphrodite of Brink and Far Cry >=3. In addition, there is this alternative medieval fantasy component, which I personally don't like, but that is a matter of taste. On top, the technical progress is missing, since it is still a last-gen title. Even the implementation of ray tracing (which I find dubious based on the trailer, see above) is of no use if the art style is off somehow and the characters look and move like they did 8 years ago.

As I have often written, and apparently you have to nowadays, as soon as you criticize something, because some snowflakes here can no longer deal with criticism regarding "their" games, I'm not trying to hate the game or stir up discontent, I've just become very cautious due to many disappointments of recent years and especially the big games. I would be happy if I am completely wrong and DL2 gets a 90+ rating, but I don't think so at the moment.

You might be right but consider that regardless of the end result, you just don't get big AAA first person urban exploration games anymore. Sure we had Cyberpunk but aside from that the only thing comparable in scope the DL2 is its predecessor. While I'm sure that a lot of things were probably cut to make their deadline, this type of experience just isn't really common anymore. So for me personally my excitement comes from knowing that even if the experience isn't what they pitched years ago, it will more than likely still be on par with DL1 which was an awesome game and still holds up today. I'm sure many others have the same feeling as well.

That being said, I share your concern with the aesthetic design this time around. I think the clash of weird modern/medieval + overgrown city + zombies isn't really doing it for me either. I'm still going to pick up a copy though unless I hear that the PS5 version suffers from performance issues.

Last edited:
Top Bottom