• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying Light 2: Stay Human Official Review Thread

I didn't call you a little guy, and I am not dogpiling. I replied to the couple of posts that I saw of you. You can be dismissive if you want. I pretty much expected as much. Anyway I derailed enough so I'll stop here.
I have dislexia so I misread the the little guy part, that is on me. Yes, I tend to be dismissive because it is impossible to have a normal conversation on an internet, usually when I try to reason it doesn't bring anything positive. Trust me I've tried plenty in the past, there is no point.

MaKTaiL

I've noticed the trend with Polish devs that the optimization is always on the iffy side or is it just me?
On Techland's defense they are a small studio and are also self publishing. The amount of polish and attention to detail they managed to do with COVID in the mix is really impressive. Their continued support for DL1 basically proved they will keep fixing and improving the game overtime. I'm not worried.

Not a huge loss, I am assuming they did something bad or made a big mistake. The Guardian reads like political propaganda most of the time anyawys, I never understood why they have a gaming section.
Same could be said for most game review sites. ; )

Also, if you read through the reviewers on Metacritic, some of them are even less credible than this for sure, though.

Same could be said for most game review sites. ; )

Also, if you read through the reviewers on Metacritic, some of them are even less credible than this for sure, though.
Polygon and Kotaku are a laughing stock these days. Pains me to say this, back in the long old days I remember many looked up to them.

Back in my childhood/teenhood before I got involved myself IGN/Gamespot were the places to go, but things have changed too much and I do not like it at all. There are very very sites that focus on actual gaming portions these days. Individual YouTube reviewers I think are the best source such ACG/SkillUp/Maximillion are pretty good to listen too. I do not always agree with their opinions, but they are good peeps and good at what they do and I respect that.

SZips

Didn't see my review posted here, so I'll do it.

Total Gaming Network - 4/5 (whole numbers only)

Despite a healthy dose of jank, Dying Light 2 Stay Human manages to come out as a worthy follow-up to one of the most popular open-world zombie slaying games out there. Fans of the original won't want to pass this one up.

I'd say that 95-99% of my impressions were from before a major update was released on PC on the 31st.

Just a heads up for Xbox peeps, should be playable by switching your Xbox region to New Zealand in 10 or so hours.

Last edited:

saintjules

It's Over
bUPST6h.gif

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Bought 2 copies one for me, gifted the other to a friend. Returning a favor for a game he gifted me a while back. Can't wait til tomorrow night.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
This is obvious. But the reason for that its called software optimization. This is not the most complex gameplay and ambitious looking game that we are ever seen and is one with the worse performance/quality balance.

Following your logic: Eyeballing visuals to dictate how a game should behave is equally stupid as taking DF and other sources eyeballing analysis as the correct ones.

You really are a slow one arent you?

Eye balling visuals as a gauge of pixel counts or of whether its SSR reflections and eye balling a video game which has locked framerate to gauge whether its optimized or not are completely different spectrums of "i know what im talking about".

Back seat developers should simply shut up.
You have no idea how heavy this game is on the GPU/CPU, you have no idea how complex underlying instructions are, you have no idea what it actually takes to get this game to a locked 30/60 on these consoles.
Yet because the gameplay doesnt "look" complex, or the game doesnt "look" ambitious you expect it to run better.
Ive already told you, that you cant eye ball a game to tell its complexities, let alone say a game that has a locked framerate is unoptimized.

The first sentence in your reply was "This is obvious".....then you immediately went on to eye ball how a specific engine running a specific game should behave?
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Eye balling visuals as a gauge of pixel counts or of whether its SSR reflections and eye balling a video game which has locked framerate to gauge whether its optimized or not are completely different spectrums of "i know what im talking about".

You have no idea how heavy this game is on the GPU/CPU, you have no idea how complex underlying instructions are, you have no idea what it actually takes to get this game to a locked 30/60 on these consoles.
Yet because the gameplay doesnt "look" complex, or the game doesnt "look" ambitious you expect it to run better.
Ive already told you, that you cant eye ball a game to tell its complexities, let alone say a game that has a locked framerate is unoptimized.

The first sentence in your reply was "This is obvious".....then you immediately went on to eye ball how a specific engine running a specific game should behave?
1080p on these next gen systems is shit. Well, it would be fine IF they also included a 1440p/60 mode and scaled down whatever settings they had to to achieve that. But 1080/60 should not be the only option on next gen machines in the year 2022. It's a fact that they could've gotten this to 1440p/60 if they wanted to.

Not a huge loss, I am assuming they did something bad or made a big mistake. The Guardian reads like political propaganda most of the time anyawys, I never understood why they have a gaming section.
The Guardian is no different from most newspapers in this country. I'd say some are more egregious (Express, Mail) in their political affiliations. Doesn't mean The Guardian shouldn't have a games section.

b0uncyfr0

Looks like ill be waiting for 1440p/60 on performance mode and that FoV slider for the series X. Most reviews indicate the story and narrative are just average so there's no rush here.

Will prob wait and play Dying light 1 in the meantime (Esp if they release that NG upgrade soon)

GymWolf

Some reviewers don't like the protagonist because it is a white dude with a buzz cut, modern videogame journalism ladies and gentleman...

Having days gone flashback here...

Last edited:

GymWolf

I think every reviewer agreed that the story is lame.
Even the good reviews said the story is lame.
Story yes, but protagonist being bad because white male is hilarious to hear.

I have a literal quote from a reviewer on reeee shitting on the protagonist because of that, and it is really nothing new when it comes to some of those "journalists".

I think the story is kinda bad but many people were impressed by how different choices can shape the whole thing.

MaKTaiL

Maybe they should add an unlocked 1440p-Mode for those with VRR-capable displays.

Or they should add an option to unlock the framerate in general for all modes.
They could use FSR to boost performance as well. Skill Up had very good results with it.

Last edited:

IDWhite

Yes, I can say that because we have the experience of hundreds of games on the market being deconstructed at GDC and other tech talks. This game is no different, they are not doing anything exceptional.

To put things clear:
You: How one engines performs at resolution x in game y has no bearing on how another engine performs at resolution a in game b.
Me: This is obvious

Its obvious all the engines are not the same, but at the end they are trying to simulate the same things in a way or another. That not exclude comparisons on the final results that they can provide.

By the way, are you seeing whats goin on whit this game on social media, forums , etc? The immense majority of people are complaining about the poor performance and quality. Are you trying to say that we are all slow? If its heavy on GPU or GPU is no my problem, I've told you that there are others games much more complex that look and perform better, that's it.

I'm not going to continue with this. End.

Spaceman292

Banned
Some reviewers don't like the protagonist because it is a white dude with a buzz cut, modern videogame journalism ladies and gentleman...

Having days gone flashback here...
To be fair that is pretty disappointing. When it gets to the point that even the prospect of a kooky haircut was too scary for the character designers it doesn't bode well for everything else.

Dodo123

This developer is not a triple A behemoth with billions of budget - so many people are shitting on this game, before even playing it, because they compare it to titles that were created by noticeably larger groups of developers with a few times bigger budget.

Yes - maybe it is a bit of a euro jank, as someone mentioned. I still prefer a title that prioritizes the gameplay than the presentation though - my opinion, of course. It's up you to decide then - the market can fit both, fans of boring but pretty walking simulators and fun, but sometimes clunky games.

pokel122

Neo Member
This developer is not a triple A behemoth with billions of budget - so many people are shitting on this game, before even playing it, because they compare it to titles that were created by noticeably larger groups of developers with a few times bigger budget.

Yes - maybe it is a bit of a euro jank, as someone mentioned. I still prefer a title that prioritizes the gameplay than the presentation though - my opinion, of course. It's up you to decide then - the market can fit both, fans of boring but pretty walking simulators and fun, but sometimes clunky games.
True, 100m is pretty small compared to the 1 billion company called CD project red and even they fucked up.

Then again they had 7 years to develop this.

I think its also super cringe(CD project red also did this) doing these weird ass episodes talking about the game for months/years, they almost turned it into a tv series lmao talking about the game building up hype praising it as if its a never seen before thing and then releasing a mediocre ass story with a shit ton of bugs.

I'm not hating i just think its ultra cringe releasing these weird episodes(this should be a red flag when a company starts putting out episodes about a game lmao)
I got/pre-ordert both games and cyberpunk is okayish nothing compared to a GTA.

Dodo123

True, 100m is pretty small compared to the 1 billion company called CD project red and even they fucked up.

Then again they had 7 years to develop this.

I think its also super cringe(CD project red also did this) doing these weird ass episodes talking about the game for months/years, they almost turned it into a tv series lmao talking about the game building up hype praising it as if its a never seen before thing and then releasing a mediocre ass story with a shit ton of bugs.

I'm not hating i just think its ultra cringe releasing these weird episodes(this should be a red flag when a company starts putting out episodes about a game lmao)
I got/pre-ordert both games and cyberpunk is okayish nothing compared to a GTA.
Didn't know this thread was about CD ProjeKt and their newest game. I thought it's about Techland and Dying Light 2, but I guess, I was wrong.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting

. . .because it is such a boring choice? If they find the character design of the protagonist lacking in imagination, why not call it out? From everything I've seen, it is the exact same voice actor from the first game and he's playing the exact same character. Deacon St. John - as corny as that name was - certainly did not come across the same as Starkiller (to reference DAYS GONE which some have already done).

Last edited:

GymWolf

. . .because it is such a boring choice? If they find the character design of the protagonist lacking in imagination, why not call it out? From everything I've seen, it is the exact same voice actor from the first game and he's playing the exact same character. Deacon St. John - as corny as that name was - certainly did not come across the same as Starkiller (to reference DAYS GONE which some have already done).
Because it is fucking bullshit?? They are not talking about how he looks since you barely see him during the game (because you know, it's a fucking first person game), they just consider the concept of white dude boring because as you kniw, every white male is the same and boring, fuck this line of thought.

It is not the same actor, it just has a similar voice\tone to troy baker, not sure how this is bad since troy baker is considered one of the best voices in videogames, maybe too whitey for some people?!

And yes deacon sound different from starkillers, and yet his characters was accused by the same crowd of being a gruff boring white male protagonist.

Not sure if i see your point...

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Because it is fucking bullshit?? They are not talking about how he looks since you barely see him during the game, they just consider the concept of white dude boring.

Because it is? Throwing some diversity into your protags (particularly when Haran is not a white dominated city) isn't a bad thing.

It is not the same actor, it just has a similar voice\tone to troy baker, not sure how this is bad since troy baker is considered one of the best voices in videogames, maybe too whitey for some people?!

So not only did they not bother adding any personality into their new main character, they found a voice actor who sounds and inflicts exactly the same as Crane. That. . .is certainly something else.

Whispa

Neo Member
The reviews are pretty decent I'd say. The general consensus seems to be that it's a really good game, with fantastic parkour that's let down a little with a weak story and main character. Most people seem to agree it's a step up from the first and I loved that one. I'm currently waiting to pick it up as I really don't like bugs and technical issues, which is a common complaint and I'd rather play it all patched up.

DeaDPo0L84

Looks like ill be waiting for 1440p/60 on performance mode and that FoV slider for the series X.
So you'll never play it then?

I swear people give developers a round peg and tell them to force it into a round hole with no logical explanation as to how except "it's what I want so make it happen". People buy consoles cause of their affordable entry point but also have to respect that due to said affordable entry point they are severely limited, especially as games get more and more demanding.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Just played about two hours and I'm very happy. Not a single major issue in sight, smooth sailing and the experience feels solid right now. Can't wait to get back into it tomorrow.

Edit: PC, 3080 and 5950

Last edited:

Shakka43

Played 2.5 hours. the RT is proving to be pretty heavy for my 2070 Super at 2k with dlss in performance mode.

Justin9mm

Looks like ill be waiting for 1440p/60 on performance mode and that FoV slider for the series X. Most reviews indicate the story and narrative are just average so there's no rush here.

Will prob wait and play Dying light 1 in the meantime (Esp if they release that NG upgrade soon)
Good luck waiting.

Apparently the 1080p/60 on current gen even has performance issues with some big dips. Seems it's not very well optimised but it's not a huge dev so can't fault them too much. Even if they figure it out and able to squeeze some more juice out of the performance, it will probably be a while. By then it would probably be on sale and you would of given in anyway if you really want to play it.

I have a Series X and PS5, I'm disappointed too but I realise unless I'm building a 3080 rig, I'm not getting what I want either.

Top Bottom