• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dying light has the best mix of first-person melee combat and expanded moveset in gaming

This was going to be a thread about games that do both well, but I did some checking up and it seems like there aren't enough of them to even discuss. Even fewer that can be classified as 'good' in either aspect.

The combined stipulation of an expanded movement system *and* melee combat (both in first person) eliminated a lot of games like Mordhau, Kingdom Come, Titanfall, Unreal Tournament, elder scrolls games and so on.
So the only games I could find that fit the criteria were Dishonored, Dying light, and Mirror's Edge.
Maybe Shadow Warrior and Cyberpunk 2077 if I stretch it?

Of those I think Dying light has the best combination of both.

Any other examples?

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I played Dying Light right after dropping Zombi U, and boy what a difference. Zombi U really bothered me with its complete lack of freedom, the inability to do almost anything with a context popup, not even crouch or sprint. Then Dying Light comes at me with the greatest freedom of movement. All these maneuvers I've wanted to perform in other games, dropkicks, stomps, shoves, sliding, Dying Light has them. Hope the sequel has more physics objects.

Top Bottom