• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2009 Sony Conference Thread

Cheech

Kintaro said:
Whether you think it's worth it is up to you. Just pretend it doesn't exist and be happy with the games while those who wanted this version of the PSP will be happy with it. I promise you that month's "pick up thread" will be filled with them none the less. :lol

Heh, yeah, you're probably right. I'm sure the Go will sell very well amongst the GAF crowd. I think the Go would have been much, much more compelling for the public at large if it was also a cell phone.

Honestly, even though Apple sells the shit out of the Touch and iPhone, it's a shitty platform for gaming. People buy the games because they're cheap, not necessarily because they're good. Can you imagine what a phone that plays DS games would sell? That's the market I think Sony has an opportunity in.

Vinci

Danish
RE: Last Guardian

Did anyone prefer the prior design for the creature in the test footage? I don't know, something about how they've fleshed it out didn't appeal to me as much. Still gonna buy the game the instant it becomes available, just curious if I'm alone here.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Cheech said:
Heh, yeah, you're probably right. I'm sure the Go will sell very well amongst the GAF crowd. I think the Go would have been much, much more compelling for the public at large if it was also a cell phone. .

Sure. But then it would be $400 not counting the contract for the service. And people would still gripe. =P

jett

D-Member
Gary Whitta talking about The Last Guardian said:
Why do these graphics look so shitty?

Skimming through this thread, I just had to quote this gem. :lol What an unbiased system warrior you are, Gary. How is Akira coming along btw?

Whats all this ridiculous hoopla about Sony having another press conference today?

jett said:
Skimming through this thread, I just had to quote this gem. :lol What an unbiased system warrior you are, Gary. How is Akira coming along btw?

He was probably just messing around I cant imagine he was being serious.

Andvary

jett said:

wow, yes, he's just trolling.

I was too busy to post impressions, yesterday.

It was an excellent conference for Sony. Best of the big 3, for me, in terms of games I'm interested in. The strength of it's content really kept me interested, throughout. I won't expound upon them, here.

Presentation-wise, it was second to Microsoft, and ahead of Nintendo. Kevin James ... I mean, Jack Tretton was easily the best speaker of the big 3 conferences. However, Sony could take a queue from Microsoft on marketing and showmanship, even with Sony's sizable disadvantage in war chest funds. Cut out the montages and sales talk. That time could've been used to actually show some of the games in those montages. If you really have to do a montage, make it fullscreen with titles.

Regarding their motion wand, I'll repeat what I said about Natal, in the MS conference thread. Promising tech, but I won't be excited until I see games for it, that I want. I bought a PSEye for Eye of Judgment, now give me a reason to get this. However, I understand that Sony may have been forced to show it, after MS' conference. They didn't even have a Wii commerical rip-off, with a fake-ass dad changing a tire with an imaginary air wrench(not trolling Natal, but I wanted to kick that guy in the face). Instead, Sony had its actual engineers demoing the tech on software straight from their test boxes. It seemed like an overnight presentation job, especially considering that their other live demos, i.e., AC2, ModNation, and GOWIII, were cut short for time. That's probably why that speaker looked like he was about to faint. He was probably up, all night, working on that presentation. I thought it turned out well, for what it was, though.

Sony definitely has core gamers covered with both the PS3 and PSP, and it's clear that that is their main focus, even being touched upon by Jack. The one thing, I feel they should have shown more of, though, is EyePet. No doubt, that would've ensured some casual sales.

Aeon712

The only thing missing from the conference that I wanted to see was White Knight, but they did show FFF13 and 14 so I'm happy :).

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Aeon712 said:
The only thing missing from the conference that I wanted to see was White Knight, but they did show FFF13 and 14 so I'm happy :).
me too... hopefully during the next few days they will do that...

I want more info on the dual-wandy hardware. I want to see how much effort Sony is putting into it. I would love a concept where the breakaway controller turns into the two wands. that would be amazing and they can easily package it as a regular controller on the PS3 Slim ;) ... even for those that dont have the camera... and when they get the camera then the controller turns into a full motion controller..

Awntawn

Loudninja said:
You know, I'm getting really sick of all these.

"We can't comment on platform. Is it exclusive? Maybe. You'll see wink wink hint hint ^_~

oklol no it's not. multiplatform release"

-esque game reveals these days? Stupid waste of time. It's not even timed exclusives anymore, it's windowed reveal announcement.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Awntawn said:
You know, I'm getting really sick of all these.

"We can't comment on platform. Is it exclusive? Maybe. You'll see wink wink hint hint ^_~

oklol no it's not. multiplatform release"

-esque game reveals these days? Stupid waste of time. It's not even timed exclusives anymore, it's windowed reveal announcement.
I am very, very sick of it now that you mention it.

teiresias

Ummm, the PSN store has a Part 1 and Part 2 of the conference up, but Part 2 ends right after the Assassin's Creed 2 demo - where the hell is the rest of the conference??!!?!! I want my HD Last Guardian damn it!!!!

teiresias said:
Ummm, the PSN store has a Part 1 and Part 2 of the conference up, but Part 2 ends right after the Assassin's Creed 2 demo - where the hell is the rest of the conference??!!?!! I want my HD Last Guardian damn it!!!!

I was just going to ask about this. WTF Sony?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
jett said:
I was reading his comments the whole time. Doesn't give Sony any breaks but bends over backwards for MSFT. Love the guys work but damn.

Raist

Banned
Yeah, wtf is going on, full conference isn't available on the store :(

Anyway, GT PSP looks stunning, AC2 looks very promising (hated the first one because of the shit load of graphical glitches and repetitivity), and wtf @ MGS: PW :lol 4 BB, what?

Raist said:
Yeah, wtf is going on, full conference isn't available on the store :(

Anyway, GT PSP looks stunning, AC2 looks very promising (hated the first one because of the shit load of graphical glitches and repetitivity), and wtf @ MGS: PW :lol 4 BB, what?

There are a Shit ton of glitches in AC2 demo conference video. very easy to spot if you look for them.

Kabuki Waq said:
There are a Shit ton of glitches in AC2 demo conference video. very easy to spot if you look for them.
speaking of glitches did you see sam fisher get stuck standing in the window tyen fall out and get sucked under the building and rise from his gwave? that ALMOSt beat out the kudo twizzler avatar.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
The Press Conference part III is streaming live over Home if anyone cares. :p

Probably will be in the store tomorrow.

BruceLeeRoy said:
He was probably just messing around I cant imagine he was being serious.

Considering his post history I seriously doubt that. He was even talking about "paid audience" in Sony's conference because they were cheering for the Hanah Montana PSP. I don't know what's worse the fact that he was so annoyed because people were cheering for Sony's conference or that he couldn't detect sarcasm.

Nose Master said:

:lol Added to favorites

jorma

is now taking requests
fortified_concept said:
Considering his post history I seriously doubt that. He was even talking about "paid audience" in Sony's conference because they were cheering for the Hanah Montana PSP. I don't know what's worse the fact that he was so annoyed because people were cheering for Sony's conference or that he couldn't detect sarcasm.

:lol Added to favorites

I'd take that as a compliment if i was Tretton. He handled a heckling audience so well that some people thought they actually were a paid audience.

Kintaro said:
The Go is for those people who whined and whined and whined and wanted a PSP without the UMD so it could be more like the iphone or whatever. On top of that, it is smaller, the screen is very nice and it's lighter. The impressions from those who have used it are generally pretty positive. Those people wanted it, now they get it. Of course, it's never good enough as you can read for yourself in this thread where people expected touch screens, cell phone service and blow jobs.

Whether you think it's worth it is up to you. Just pretend it doesn't exist and be happy with the games while those who wanted this version of the PSP will be happy with it. I promise you that month's "pick up thread" will be filled with them none the less. :lol

totally reasonable for me to want a blow job.....

i want a psp, but I dont think i'd go with the go. it's too expensive and there's tons of old games that id want that prolly not digital. With the psp can u install games to a stick w/o cfw?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
jorma said:
I'd take that as a compliment if i was Tretton. He handled a heckling audience so well that some people thought they actually were a paid audience.
There was nothing heckling about it; it was a fun audience. The entire front audience were invited Sony fans.

I absolutely loved how people were getting angry at the crowd during the conference. It really showed just who...well, you know. :lol

Loudninja

chubigans said:
There was nothing heckling about it; it was a fun audience. The entire front audience were invited Sony fans.

I absolutely loved how people were getting angry at the crowd during the conference. It really showed just who...well, you know. :lol

Seriously they did not focus on what was being announced they focus on the crowd, it was the same people over and over. :lol

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Loudninja said:
Seriously they did not focus on what was being announced they focus on the crowd, it was the same people over and over. :lol
You can tell who the trolls are at that point. Or those who are afraid to be excited for Sony stuff but clamor for more at the MSFT/Nintendo conference threads.

Binabik15

Uhm, watching the E3 conference and all the trailers on my PS3 right now and this unknown game called Gran Turismo 5...is this real? Did my eyes deceive me? Did I just watch a target render from 2005?

Hooooooooooooooooly shit.

Next E3 I´ll wait until the conference hits PSN to see all the announcements and games the way I should see them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
For those into that sort of thing, a couple more of those 'conference analysis' articles for Sony to stroke their ego with.

Telegraph:
Sony's E3 2009 briefing did not disappoint as the last of the big three presentations unveiled strong titles, new technology and mouth-watering exclusives.

Gamasutra:

"If I were Sony I'd wanna drink right now too," an attendee was overheard to murmur. The general mood resembled something like sympathy -- like a prelude to a wake -- after Microsoft's high-powered presentation yesterday. With so many early press leaks ahead of E3, many wondered if Sony had any cards left to play.

The mood inside the Shrine Auditorium gradually took on an eagerness and enthusiasm not present in quite the same way during the other presentations.

Chalk it up to rooting for the underdog, perhaps, but the environment at Sony's event made it clear that when the company falls back on touting the strength of its brand and the duration of its presence in the video game marketplace, it's not entirely blowing smoke. Those who once loved PlayStation still do, and fiercely.

The company's still got it; Sony was not outdone at E3 this year, and depending who you ask, it outdid, maybe even handily. By the time its press conference ended, even the sun had decided to show its face for the first time in Los Angeles since E3 kicked off.

But until price adjustments and marketing initiatives position Sony's platforms better in the market, the clouds haven't passed yet.

"If I were Sony I'd wanna drink right now too," an attendee was overheard to murmur. The general mood resembled something like sympathy -- like a prelude to a wake -- after Microsoft's high-powered presentation yesterday.

Hah bet this was Garnett.

I'm sorry to ask again, but are the press-conferences from PS Store online somewhere?

Can't find a thumbdrive to copy it off my PS3 to PC :(

Edit - Nevermind, found the drive

Forsete

Loudninja said:

:lol I have to read this thread now. I didnt bother to read any forums during the presentation as I connected my PC to my Bravia and watched everything full screen! (320x240 @ 128kbit bitrate looks awesome! ) :p

Interview with Aaron Greenberg's impressions of Sony's conference.

http://www.gamertagradio.com/vbportal/forums/showthread.php?p=69246

He gives Sony props for showing a lot of games, but emphasizes that Sony did too much talking, instead of just showing games. Fair enough angle, considering the interviewee.

Also, it seems like the FFXIV announcement really was a surprise to Microsoft. You can really tell he was even uncomfortable addressing it. In fact he diverts to talking about FFXIII, instead. Too bad the interviewer didn't ask anything about Agent.

Diablos

Reading the initial reaction to XIV as a PS3 exclusive -- and then after it is revealed to be S-E's next MMO -- is quite amusing. :lol

Those still disappointed in FFXIII going multi thought all was taken care of with the announcement of XIV... so close, yet so far. Bwahahaha.

Top Bottom