• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 Cancelled , according to Jeff Grubb

Coolwhhip

Neophyte
E3 was really special before it became completely corporate and slick. So about 15 years ago. Back then it was developers awkwardly showing off their games.

E3 was far better than that summer of gaming crap we've been getting these past 2 years.

Yet it's funny that all the fearmongering and idea of a show being irrelevant always focus on only E3, not the other major gaming events including one that just popped up like a year or two ago...

...Sorry, I might just have my conspiracy theory glasses on too tight. But anyway, I'm not putting any stock into this kind of rumor unless the ESA outright announce the cancellation. Lest that happens I pay this stuff no never mind.

EDMIX

All things change.

E3 needed the industry, the industry no longer needed E3.
Pretty much.

I don't see the point of it in the age of social media. I also see no evidence that its even better to show off a game at E3 versus some random time where you can take over the media cycle.

Resident Evil 2 remake announced at E3 got less views then Resident Evil 3 remake announced on a random State Of Play.....why?

Well Resident Evil 2 remake might be a massive shock announcement, its also announced on a day HUNDREDS of other games are announced, RE3 remake took over the media cycle as the only major thing people were talking about for weeks....it wasn't fucking announced with hundreds of games.

So from any publisher, I have no clue why would want to bury your new game announcement with several other publishers. Then gamers act "shocked" we see those random announcements of GTA or Call Of Duty etc, why the fuck should they waste money on marketing on the very same day hundreds of others reveal their games too? This helps them how? Gamers buy games, they don't buy reveals, so I believe those reveals are simply irrelevant and taking over the media cycle is what is more important, as to why Sony was able to capture so much attention showing a fucking controller and random youtube State of play reveals.

E3 made more sense for ESA then it ever did all the other publishers.

63f.jpg

Thread

Kerotan

It does, but if CGI, cinematics, teaser trailers and pre-rendered gameplays is all the publishers have to offer, then yeah, E3 is not needed. I miss the old days where a de walked out on the stage and actually played his game to show it off for the first time for the entire world. Now it's just, whatever, they're not showing the games at all really.
Stig with GOW3!

quest

Not Banned from OT
Agreed. E3 was still the best show last year.
Pretty much and those who celebrate no E3 will be the first to complain when the Dorito pope sucks them in with a huge show with big surprises and premieres. Then 5 hours later its shit we seen before with a few new mobile or gaas games at the end. Then a week later they will tune into some other tubers show to be screwed over again after lots of hype and getting nothing but disappointment. Then complain about the industry dying lol.

K' Dash

I remember looking forward to E3 like it was a mid year Christmas.

I have fond memories of the event, but, like someone said, it's time came and went.

Eevee86

E3 has its problems but at the end of the day, I love getting all those announcements and reveals during the conferences. I'm going to miss what it was although I'll admit it lost a lot of its punch as an online only event

Fuckers won't wear their masks and vaccinate and so here we are
You act like covid gives a shit about masks and vaccinations. Neither have helped in the slightest to stop the spread.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
The thread title is misleading. Jeff said “E3 digitally PROBABLY also cancelled”. Plus he has zero credibility.

The most likely scenario is having a digital E3 and as always we'd have separate online conferences for each company plus the Doritos Show and multiple indie streams.

He dropped some big news in the past, so that zero credibility sounds more like you cant stand him actually.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Did it? I know there are other factors, but the show tanked into oblivion pretty fast after Sony left.
Nope. Not even close. Maybe for you if you were only interested in the Sony stuff. Remember, the last e3 Sony was at they got lambasted for their over long conference with fucking wind instruments in a church. That is probably what you're thinking of when you say tanked into oblivion

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
All things change.

E3 needed the industry, the industry no longer needed E3.
Plus due to Covid companies discovered they do not need in-person events. Same thing happened to largest expo for luxury watches Baselworld, companies just started dropping out and hosting their own small-scale events.

AJUMP23

Gold Member
I think they need each other. But yes, E3 needed the industry more. Without E3 though, our summers aren't as exciting.
There was a time when E3 was essential because retail was actually placing orders for what was being shown. At the point it was essential for developers to show their wares. That all changed over the past 20 years. It became a news cycle event to build hype and sell the game to consumers, not to buyers.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
There was a time when E3 was essential because retail was actually placing orders for what was being shown. At the point it was essential for developers to show their wares. That all changed over the past 20 years. It became a news cycle event to build hype and sell the game to consumers, not to buyers.

And THIS is what I'm missing with no E3 now. I LOVED it!

??

None of this makes any sense.

Yeah it could be the cost, but if there is no return on that cost, yeah, of course companies are going to pull out. This is business, not charity. With the advent of YouTube and easily sharing your product with the consumer base, E3 is a total anachronism at this point. That's why Sony and Nintendo basically stopped participating. Because they are smart, not "greedy."

E3 was not always for the fans. It started out as a trade only show. I never went, but I had bosses that did. It was a place for people actually IN the industry to get together, meet, see what's coming out for the year (hopefully), discuss business, socialize etc. Many, many, people think E3 "jumped the shark" when they did start allowing the fans in.

Gaming "nerds" are a large part of who buy Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles. Of course the industry needs them. You say the focus is on the "whales" but that is a term associated with F2P/MTX, and for very good reasons. The models that both Nintendo and Sony follow are nothing even close to seeking out "whales" to exploit. They make high quality software and sell it for a sticker price.

Your constant bashing of developers, publishers, and the "greed" of the people in the industry is tiresome.
Yes I know E3 started out as a trade show. I wonder if the death of retail and switch to digital had a hand in E3's decline?

uncleslappy

nethack is my favorite dark souls clone
Also, likely a Resident Evil event sometime in the Spring/Summer? Fall release of RE4 remake?

Top Bottom