• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 Cancelled , according to Jeff Grubb

TheMan

E3 has its problems but at the end of the day, I love getting all those announcements and reveals during the conferences. I'm going to miss what it was although I'll admit it lost a lot of its punch as an online only event

Fuckers won't wear their masks and vaccinate and so here we are

Last edited:

Unknown?

I'll wait for an official confirmation, thank you very much.

Gladly stopped paying attention to gaming insiders like a year ago. There are still a couple of gaming-adjacent ones I listen to, but they also tend to focus purely on hardware developments.

EDIT: Also sometimes I feel like these "E3 is cancelled" rumors are like weird cancel fetishism or something. The cool thing about E3 was that is brought the industry together and everyone had to directly compete in the same space. These isolated events don't have the same energy, and they seem like they're helping create even fiercer bubbled echo chambers (more radically stupid online console warring).

It'd be like going to a football game but each team's at their own stadium and so are their fans. Half the fun is having everyone comingle in the same space, you separate that and the vibe dies a lot. As good as some of these platform-specific events have been, they'll never truly replace stuff like E3 for that reason alone.
You can thank those echo chambers on the rise of social media and advertisement as a main source of revenue for the internet. This may antagonize the symptoms but definitely not the problem.

Belthazar

It has been irrelevant for like 5 years anyway... I don't think it's ever coming back, maybe as a short-lived throwback in 25 years when some random person buys the right to the name. But who knows.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
E3 is not really needed.
Sony/Microsoft can just do there own shows and stream/upload them on YouTube.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think 24 hour news coverage and ubiquitous social media killed it. You don't need an E3 presence to get your message out nowadays.
It's the cost. Most publishers are making more money than ever and as with every industry they have become more greedy than ever. No one wants to spend millions on a trade show. They tried to low ball the ESA. They didnt budge and slowly everyone pulled out.

The pandemic accelerated the process but Sony had already pulled out in 2019 before the pandemic. It's all about the money.

The show was always for the fans. For the gaming nerds and they dont need us anymore. it's why PSX was cancelled. The industry is too big and has its sights set on the whales just like the mobile industry does, and they dont throw any big conferences.

My brother and I always treated E3 almost like a holiday. I'd take the day off work if I could, we'd get pizza or something and just enjoy the event. Sad to see it slowly die away like it is. Even when it was shitty it was still a lot of fun laughing at the incredible levels of cringe from the event. It's unfortunate that so many good things about this hobby have slowly become empty shells of what they once were.

One guy on Era proposed a great idea for Xbox shows
The Game Pass show: January 2022

- Opens with the announcement of R6 Extraction. More on that later in the show
- First batch of games in a montage (Mass Effect Trilogy, Gorogoa, The Pedestrian, Embr, etc.)
- Longer trailer for The Anacrusis, a day-one release
- More on R6 Extraction - dev interview
- Second batch of games in a montage (ending with the Hitman trilogy)
- Longer trailer for Nobody Saves the World, a day-one release
- Short Recap with all dates
Would be really cool to have something like this for Xbox.
For that Xbox needs to be good in marketing, but they can't :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Makes me sad as E3 was legit fun with all the conferences crammed into 2-3 days but we are entering a digital era
I will miss crowd reactions, but at least right now with have Youtube videos and podcasts with reactions

Last edited:

yurinka

The thread title is misleading. Jeff said “E3 digitally PROBABLY also cancelled”. Plus he has zero credibility.

The most likely scenario is having a digital E3 and as always we'd have separate online conferences for each company plus the Doritos Show and multiple indie streams.

Last edited:

SilentUser

Kinda sad, even though I wasn't watching it for a long time. I guess I'll miss all the hype days before the E3, there is nothing close to that with the digital events.

Other than that, time changes and that's how things roll :(

Dr Bass

It's the cost. Most publishers are making more money than ever and as with every industry they have become more greedy than ever. No one wants to spend millions on a trade show. They tried to low ball the ESA. They didnt budge and slowly everyone pulled out.

The pandemic accelerated the process but Sony had already pulled out in 2019 before the pandemic. It's all about the money.

The show was always for the fans. For the gaming nerds and they dont need us anymore. it's why PSX was cancelled. The industry is too big and has its sights set on the whales just like the mobile industry does, and they dont throw any big conferences.
??

None of this makes any sense.

Yeah it could be the cost, but if there is no return on that cost, yeah, of course companies are going to pull out. This is business, not charity. With the advent of YouTube and easily sharing your product with the consumer base, E3 is a total anachronism at this point. That's why Sony and Nintendo basically stopped participating. Because they are smart, not "greedy."

E3 was not always for the fans. It started out as a trade only show. I never went, but I had bosses that did. It was a place for people actually IN the industry to get together, meet, see what's coming out for the year (hopefully), discuss business, socialize etc. Many, many, people think E3 "jumped the shark" when they did start allowing the fans in.

Gaming "nerds" are a large part of who buy Nintendo, Sony and MS consoles. Of course the industry needs them. You say the focus is on the "whales" but that is a term associated with F2P/MTX, and for very good reasons. The models that both Nintendo and Sony follow are nothing even close to seeking out "whales" to exploit. They make high quality software and sell it for a sticker price.

Your constant bashing of developers, publishers, and the "greed" of the people in the industry is tiresome.

T8SC

omggggggg-2.gif

You can thank those echo chambers on the rise of social media and advertisement as a main source of revenue for the internet. This may antagonize the symptoms but definitely not the problem.

Yeah it's so sad that divisive rhetoric and conflict are what drive most revenue online these days, at least in entertainment-focused spaces.

The Death of E3 was inevitable once sony decided to stop participating. Than covid happened too. Makes me sad as E3 was legit fun with all the conferences crammed into 2-3 days but we are entering a digital era. E3 isn't needed anymore and is costly and puts pressure on the studio's.
By that notion then Summer Games Fest and The Game Awards aren't needed either, especially the latter as, outside of a couple gameplay/game reveals was a giant waste of time. So it would be interesting to see opinion pieces questioning the reasoning for the existence of those shows but...

...but I doubt you're going to see that because this is all probably as much a game of backstage politics (to drive out a competitor event) as it is reflecting on actual factors impacting an event like E3. In other words I don't think all the calls to just "cancel E3" are genuine out of logistical concerns, but rather so there isn't a certain big competitor towards a couple of other certain big events in the industry.

That's all my opinion though, and I can't say I have any proof to back any of this up. That said, I do think a lot of games journalists, after the unfortunate info leak a few years ago, would probably have no issue trying to steer public opinion to disregarding E3 for how apparently unnecessary it is anymore, while a couple of other massive, similar events are conveniently never put into that same conversation.

Just something to maybe think about.

My brother and I always treated E3 almost like a holiday. I'd take the day off work if I could, we'd get pizza or something and just enjoy the event. Sad to see it slowly die away like it is. Even when it was shitty it was still a lot of fun laughing at the incredible levels of cringe from the event. It's unfortunate that so many good things about this hobby have slowly become empty shells of what they once were.

Just a sampling of some of the great things E3 has brought us that almost all of these newer events will never be able to replicate:

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
sucks if true. Love some E3. Everyone loved E3 until Sony pulled out. Then everyone pretended E3 wasn’t cool anymore. The truth is. Sony used to kill it at E3 like no other. They’re own events are shit compared to their E3s
Yup! That's my read on it too. The people saying it's good that E3 is dead, more than likely they are PS fans. E3 is still great. And I hope it isn't canceled. E3 is too big to fail. They don't need Sony. They've shown that.

Barakov

Everybody acts like they dont care

Until you have to watch a separate event for every game reveal
That's the biggest problem here. It's seems like most of the big companies have to release a hour long talk show just for a trailer. Watching the big three conferences was one of the best parts of the year. Now it's just bleh.

Inviusx

Why am I the only person in this thread questioning what this claim is based on?

I dont see why we should just take this at face value. Show us why you think it's cancelled?

AJUMP23

Gold Member
You enjoyed the scattered events through out the summer? I deff didn’t. E3 combining all the events into one is surely missed. Rumors on when each event is happening for a whole summer isn’t fun. It’s nice knowing that every year we get a big event in June.
A concentrated event would still be great, it just doesn't have to be run by the ESA.

kyoji

lol we need to move on. I have attended packed baseball games. Every nfl game is sold out. Concerts and movies are in full swing. Wtf is up with the gaming industry.

This is the one event we have all year. One fucking well that’s for us to look forward to.

Lame.
No playstation, no nintendo = game over for e3. Writing was on the wall.

Still and all should take it with a grain of salt until theres a formal announcement.

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
E3 was like Christmas for gamers. I never really understood how so many so called hardcore gamers on here were against it.
I fucking loved E3, and it will be a sad state of affairs if it goes away completely.
But now we get 3000 events that are 99% bullshit so much better amiright? Instead of couples of shows that had useful shit we get teases and tune in for a premier of some low budget mobile game after 2 hours of crap. Sorry it was the summer of suck last year.

Haggard

Banned
Good riddance.
I can live with developers only showing stuff when it's actually ready to be shown and not when some event dictates it

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member
If true, then it's probably for the best. The show was more like spam of stupid ads and cringe stuff. Rarelly anything of value is show, most are either 3 second reveals with an icon or cgi trailers.

Chukhopops

E3 was like Christmas for gamers. I never really understood how so many so called hardcore gamers on here were against it.
I fucking loved E3, and it will be a sad state of affairs if it goes away completely.
Yeah I’ll miss it too, it was fun staying up all night watching the conferences a couple years ago.

I hope MS keeps its big yearly conference at least.

Top Bottom