• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 cancelled

Banjo64

cumsessed
"We will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience.

"We look forward to presenting E3 to fans around the world live from Los Angeles in 2023."

The ESA adds that the 2022 showcase has been cancelled so the organization can "focus its resources" on the 2023 show.

back-to-the-future-great-scott.gif

Shubh_C63

That's actually great that they are trying to reinvent next year.

Update: The ESA has shared an official statement with IGN confirming E3 2022's cancellation and announcing that E3 will return in 2023 with "a reinvigorated showcase."

"We will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience

Fuz

Banned
"We will devote all our energy and resources to delivering a revitalized physical and digital E3 experience next summer. Whether enjoyed from the show floor or your favorite devices, the 2023 showcase will bring the community, media, and industry back together in an all-new format and interactive experience.

"We look forward to presenting E3 to fans around the world live from Los Angeles in 2023."

The ESA adds that the 2022 showcase has been cancelled so the organization can "focus its resources" on the 2023 show.
They just have to go back to their roots.

Kev Kev

Probably for the best. If E3 fell flat this year it would be perma dead. Better to focus on having a big, grand return to form.

Then we can tell Geoff to pound sand. All we have to do now is B E L I E V E

I remember that event in the "before time"

People actually used to gather in person and enjoy a day of gaming, conferences, glitz and glamour. It was so analog back then.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
That's actually great that they are trying to reinvent next year.
Nope, the event is dying. This is exactly what happened with largest watch expo Baselworld - the brands figured instead of spending lots of money on an event they can much better advertise and communicate on their own terms with the public.
Expect lots of showcases from individual companies spread throughout the year going forward.

Madflavor

People can say what they want but I miss how a few days out of the year there was a big event where there be a lot of game announcements. We can all gather round on streams and either get excited at big game announcements/trailers, or laugh at whatever stupidity was unfolding. It was always entertaining watching the SuperCut of these conferences afterward. Some of the best gaming memes were born from E3. It was good times and I’ll miss it.

Life

April 1st. Shit's not funny. It's like a day for toddlers telling lies for kicks.

Last edited:
I really do not see the point in E3 at all these days. All it is really is a showcase for boring CGI trailers and half finished demos of games that are months away from release (or, in the case of the CGI trailers, not even actually running on actual hardware!). I haven't watched or really taken much interest in stuff from E3 in years and usually only used to watch them when a new console was coming out. Better to just have individual presentations from publishers throughout the year, closer to the game's release dates, plus they will get more attention as they aren't competing directly with everyone else at the same time.

Last edited:

sobaka770

Banned
E3 is not coming back maybe ever. It was overproduced, expensive advertisement.
Now that all major companies learned how to do it cheaper, mostly online and still sell millions of copies - who would wanna go back to that?

Quakecon or Blizzcon are maybe more relevant still for fans.

Soodanim

I thought this was already cancelled. My surprise wasn't the cancellation, but that it wasn't cancelled when I thought it was.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: TLZ
Top Bottom