• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 has been officially canceled

I'll never really get the glee people take from E3 getting canned. E3 week was always fun. And much better than the absolute trash shows Geoff Keighley puts out.
It's about vindication over the belief that some recent E3 trends were "killing E3", going back to when E3 first became a public-open event.

Personally I think this is tragic, even if it could easily be predicted. A year without an E3 is effectively the end of an era for videogames, as far as I'm concerned.

NickFire

I'm guessing E3 is done and not coming back. Too much time since the last real one, and pubs aren't gonna want to keep spotlight off themselves in hopes of an actual show someday. The video showcases throughout the year is the new reality.

Kagey K

Banned
Oh goody.

Summer of Games here we go again.

Frustrated Head GIF

Batiman

Banned
Why do you need an alternative? From the moment Sony left the party to it becoming a covid online panel series crammed together rather than an expo it's completely pointless because anything that can be done under the E3 umbrella in this format can be done much better independently. In a time every participant sees fit and is ready for, rather than putting together an utterly forced shitshow like many of those we've seen last year.

I used to love E3, watched every single conference live online ever since that became possible, after following all kinds of coverage since mid 90s. It's long dead man, it's time to move on.
Could be done great independently, but it hasn’t happened for Sony since they left. Most of their showcases or events never came close to their E3 highs. If that was the case everyone would be happy with no E3. That’s not the case though. Until it is I’m gonna saying no E3 sucks.

anthony2690

Banned
I'm going to miss the three days of non stop game goodness.

Now we have to suffer through weeks of long drawn events that you can't keep up with as you can't find schedules or times.

Disappointing.

I'm okay with this. The other showcases have been growing and they can scoop up the remainder of any exciting exclusive reveals E3 might have had to improve their own showings.

If anyone needs schedules or times you just go to Gamespot's website, as they always post them front and center.

Edit: I will say that 'Summer Games Fest' needs a catchier name. 'E3' and 'E3 week' were always catchier in that regard.

Last edited:
I believe e3 also bolstered a level of competition among companies we don't really see these days. I think that loss is something consumers will take on the chin.

Fredrik

This is the worst news. And Geoff’s alternative is awful in comparison. I really wanted a beast mode E3 this year.

Is MS at least having a big event in the summer?

Leyasu

Banned
it's completely pointless because anything that can be done under the E3 umbrella in this format can be done much better independently. In a time every participant sees fit and is ready for, rather than putting together an utterly forced shitshow like many of those we've seen last year.
Now this is a good point and something that I never thought of.

Although I will miss E3, you are bang on with this assessment

fart town usa

Gold Member
I welcome E3 being gone forever if that's what this cancellation means. I haven't watched one since 2011.

As an old fart in terms of gaming culture, life is infinitely better when you completely fall out of the loop with the games that people are hyped on.

At some point the game is gonna release and you'll feel like you never waited for it. Elden Ring for example, I didn't know the game existed until like 6 months before it released and even then, I forgot about it until the day it released. "Oh cool, new Souls game released..."

Fuck waiting years for games. Just be clueless about it and everything feels like a gift that arrived at the right time.
Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

edit: Just read the post above mine, lol. Serendipitous.

Last edited:
The people who celebrate this are fucking clowns.
The E3 that they're remembering and the E3 that you're remembering are from 2 different generations. I would have been sad about this news if this were pre-2012 E3. Almost this entire decade has had a massive negative impact on the event, from both inside and outside parties and Geoff was already running the show and interviews near it's end. I would instead feel like a clown for wanting this shambling corpse of an expo to keep walking.

Killer8

I welcome E3 being gone forever if that's what this cancellation means. I haven't watched one since 2011.

As an old fart in terms of gaming culture, life is infinitely better when you completely fall out of the loop with the games that people are hyped on.

At some point the game is gonna release and you'll feel like you never waited for it. Elden Ring for example, I didn't know the game existed until like 6 months before it released and even then, I forgot about it until the day it released. "Oh cool, new Souls game released..."

Fuck waiting years for games. Just be clueless about it and everything feels like a gift that arrived at the right time.
Tom Cruise Laughing GIF by JustViral

edit: Just read the post above mine, lol. Serendipitous.

The ideal really is to be 6 months behind the curve. Then you get everything at 75% discount, all the problems patched out and no hype blinding people's opinions.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If there's no E3, then where's Dragon's Dogma 2 going to be announced? Don't care about anything else tbh.

Orta

Banned
Hell of a shame. E3 was an explosion of....shit. Delightful shit mind.

Now you have the likes of Ubisoft and EA taking center stage with their godawful self-important conferences that nobody asked for.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Can’t wait for everyone to be bored over summer and wishing there was a known 3 days that we could all be hyped about.
I hope it doesn’t continue to be drip fed shite. It’s so shit.

Boss Mog

Hopefully it stays dead and gets replaced with a new annual event in Vegas that is open to the public some of the days similarly to TGS and Gamescom.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member

I swear some of you actually hate gaming... while posting constantly on gaming forums like a bunch of weirdos.
How many games suffer due to hype and presentations though?

Clearly you have to market stuff but there's a research paper waiting to be written about people who followed games for years and how they felt towards the game when they actually played it, compared to people who had no clue about the game and also bought it launch. How did each person feel towards the game? That'd be something interesting to read or watch.

I rely on the PSN storefront to let me know when new games release. Hype trains are fun and presentations definitely have a purpose but I think it's fair to say that way too much weight is placed on them.

It's a business though, influencers need these things to help with exposure, marketing departments obviously want them, fans want them, media outlets want them, share holders want them, gamestop wants it for pre-orders, etc. They definitely serve a purpose but they aren't necessary by any means. If you have a PS4/PS5, PC w/ Steam, XBOX, it's easy to see what's available and what the top sellers are. That's just me though, I didn't always feel that way about E3s and other presentations. Back in the day it was completely necessary cause you'd have E3, and then the articles would come out sometimes weeks later via EGM, Game Informer, Nintendo Power. The landscape is just completely different these days.

Last edited:

Fbh

E3 was good like 6-7 years ago.
The event has sucked for years. With longer development cycles and games having more longevity due to DLC/live service crap it increasingly felt like most companies were putting up a conference just because it was expected of them and not because they actually had things to announce. That's how you end with Sony basically focusing on the same 3 games multiple years in a row, MS focusing on CG trailers for shit that's coming in like 4 years and Capcom having a conference that's a power point announcing they will make RE Village DLC

I swear some of you actually hate gaming... while posting constantly on gaming forums like a bunch of weirdos.

And most of the ones who are devastated by this are the people who overhype themselves every year and then spend the next month bitching and moaning about the event sucking and making doom and gloom threads about the state of X company

Last edited:

My only counterpoint to this is that I enjoy seeing old devs/new dev teams come out of nowhere to reveal a brand new game that surprises and delights people. It makes me put a game on my radar that I otherwise would have never found out about because people don't realize how many games slip through the cracks when they aren't Triple A.

Example:

There's a Tenchu-style game series called Aragami that I managed to see a preview of thanks to one of the summer showcases last year. I would have never known about nor played this fun game series to this very day because barely anyone talked about it anywhere.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

E3 hasn’t been good for long time and there is too much pressure for devs to build demo only for E3 which they could use that resource and effort for actual game development, in my eyes good riddance.

The fact is things consistently change that just life.

Last edited:

Raven117

Gold Member
End of an era.

I suppose the E3 of Dreams (2015) was the last great one.

Will miss it in all of its hype and cringe glory.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Now you have the likes of Ubisoft and EA taking center stage with their godawful self-important conferences that nobody asked for.

Not like E3 where you had the likes of Ubisoft and EA taking center stage with their godawful self-important conferences that nobody asked for.

Kokoloko85

Sucks. It was good when Everyone had their main shows at e3.

No we have rumours of when an event is and it ends up being shit and spread out through the year…..

ZehDon

Ugh. This "Summer of Gaming" crap is so low-tier it actively makes me think less of games on display. I hope publishers do their owns shows, but do them all around the same time, so we get E3 without the bullshit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
What a shame. I loved the hype and madness of E3's gone by.

ShaikhCroft

In the good old days, E3 was the highlight of the year for me. Damn miss those days!

And Geoff is taking advantage with that boring Summer Game Fest.

Still hoping that Microsoft + Bethesda will host an XBOX Game Show that is 2 hours long and worth of it!

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
What a pity.

I was really looking forward to it this year.

Hopefully Nintendo and Microsoft will pick up the slack, and do something online.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I'm curious in terms of causality here. Was E3 cancelled due to COVID concerns, lack of organization orrrrr was it that Geoff is hogging all the talent and so it's just not worth it?

This decision had to be in the making for months. I think Geoff's been making moves.

Who cares? I had no desire of actually going to stand in crowds. The only thing that mattered was the game announcements.

If E3 is gone, there won't be any fewer or any more game announcements. If anything, companies won't feel as much pressure to show stuff years before its ready, just because they "have" to show something.

There were a few years where almost everything in Xbox's conference didn't release for 5 years or was eventually canceled altogether. How many times did they show Scalebound to pad out their show, for example.

Top Bottom