• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 has been officially canceled

pulp fiction does he look like a bitch GIF

WlSgDoG.jpg

MS will hold their own press conference with or without e3 so it really doesn't matter. e3 was just about the press conferences to me. Everything else is garbage.

End of an era, really. Sad to see it die in such a pathetic way but the show has been languishing for some time.

I think publisher's have exercised closer control of their content moreso than ever in recent years and this has definitely played into the decline of centralised shows like E3.

Besides, it isn't like we won't get news of any sort come June. I'm certain Sony, MS and Nintendo will all bring something to the table in their respective formats.

I hope Devolver continue with their batshit insane conferences, they were the most fun things at E3 in years gone by.

TheContact

there was something special about having an in person crowd. The digital events feel so staged and fake. Honestly I don’t even care e3 2022 is cancelled bc it would have been garbage anyway

Batiman

Banned
The E3 that they're remembering and the E3 that you're remembering are from 2 different generations. I would have been sad about this news if this were pre-2012 E3. Almost this entire decade has had a massive negative impact on the event, from both inside and outside parties and Geoff was already running the show and interviews near it's end. I would instead feel like a clown for wanting this shambling corpse of an expo to keep walking.
What negative impact did E3 cause in the last decade?

Lognor

Banned
Damn that sucks
I know some people are happy though. The same people the are triggered when their favorite company doesn't announce anything at e3 and they have to deal with everyone else getting news. It's fucking weird.

pqueue

Damn that sucks
I know some people are happy though. The same people the are triggered when their favorite company doesn't announce anything at e3 and they have to deal with everyone else getting news. It's fucking weird.
yes, because cringe humor, canned video, obvious bullshots, and audiences prompted for laughs/whoops at certain points are so compelling.

Lognor

Banned
yes, because cringe humor, canned video, obvious bullshots, and audiences prompted for laughs/whoops at certain points are so compelling.
Nintendo direct at e3 doesn't have that. The cringiest shit at e3 in the last several years was sony's last presentation. The one in the fucking church. Lol. Cringe af. With sony's withdrawn e3 became a lot less cringe!

What negative impact did E3 cause in the last decade?
E3 itself didn't cause any negative impact. The ESA and their fumbles caused negative impact on E3. Honestly I would have preferred if they would sell E3 to another party than letting it die a slow death.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
MS will hold their own press conference with or without e3 so it really doesn't matter. e3 was just about the press conferences to me. Everything else is garbage.
Hopefully you're right. Microsoft and Nintendo are who I care about. Hopefully they still do some type of presentation in early June.

pqueue

F me this sucks. So weird people are happy about this. They could've just not attended/ logged in
This is not about "us".

if i am Sony, MS or Nintendo, and I am going to spend millions on putting together a showcase show for my target audience and optionally other customers, I would definitely prefer to control as much of the narrative as possible without having to deal with distractions or competing news stories from the other game companies.

wondermega

Wow. I am genuinely curious if we will see a live event next year (or ever again, honestly). I have attended most shows since 2000 in some capacity or other (dev staff, indie dev, job hunter) and though it certainly changed and lost it's luster in many ways compared to those first shows I attended, it was still always such a blast for so many reasons.
The last 2 years felt particularly strange not having these giant crazy events to officially kick off the summer. Sigh, I guess nothing lasts forever, then.. RIP E3, so many good times, so many great friends..

Last edited:

quest

Not Banned from OT
Many seem glad it's gone. But now we have nothing.
I know many publishers have their own events but I don't think they'll feel so inclined to bother with no E3 around. Well just get some random drip feed.
It's good to celebrate this medium, and E3 was for developers of all sizes to showcase what they have.
Those happy it's gone will be the first to bitch during the first 4 hour self promotion stream for that single reveal.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
This is the worst news. And Geoff’s alternative is awful in comparison. I really wanted a beast mode E3 this year.

Is MS at least having a big event in the summer?

It really is terrible news for the vast majority of gamers that care about gaming. It seems like the only people that are happy about it are Sony fans and fanboys.

I've been to E3 several times and it's like Disneyland, Las Vegas, and Christmas all wrapped up in one big, exciting package for gamers. I do hope Xbox and Nintendo are going to have a big events that's at least the quality of their E3 shows last year.

I do believe I can live without a 2K HR diversity show though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It really is terrible news for the vast majority of gamers that care about gaming. It seems like the only people that are happy about it are Sony fans and fanboys.

I've been to E3 several times and it's like Disneyland, Las Vegas, and Christmas all wrapped up in one big, exciting package for gamers. I do hope Xbox and Nintendo are going to have a big events that's at least the quality of their E3 shows last year.

I do believe I can live without a 2K HR diversity show though. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

It just has to be Sony fans or fanboys huh. Christ 😂😂😂

No it doesn't have to be, but it turns out that it's just a fact the majority of people cheering for the demise of E3 just happen to be of that persuasion. I'm hardly the only one that's noticed it.
The ESA has had a lot of issues before the E3 decline. Stories of in-fighting, internal politics and witch hunts. A real toxic environment that I won't wish on anyone and to see it go down and lose its prized jewel gets no sympathy from me.

Why should one hope for or encourage toxic work places? And I'm sure as hell its not only Sony fans who are Ok with this. You're just painting everyone with the same brush here for whatever reason.

Also heard that developers had to dedicate months of dev work just to prepare for E3 and with current world events it's probably a good idea that they don't need to this year. More dev time on their games can only be a good thing.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Also heard that developers had to dedicate months of dev work just to prepare for E3 and with current world events it's probably a good idea that they don't need to this year. More dev time on their games can only be a good thing.
This. what we ultimately all of us want is quality games, we gonna get that if let developers more to to work on their game instead wasting resource and effort useless E3 demo.

Paulxo87

i am a technical director in the trade show industry. i have not been home for weeks. Been flying city to city. convention after convention I have never been this busy in my life lol. And we were out of work for over a year. So it's bullshit that there would be no demand for a in person e3.

i am a technical director in the trade show industry. i have not been home for weeks. Been flying city to city. convention after convention I have never been this busy in my life lol. And we were out of work for over a year. So it's bullshit that there would be no demand for a in person e3.
Sounds like really hard work man

kevm3

Sucks, but it seems like console makers only want an event for themselves and not have to share the stage and compete with others. Unfortunately, it seems like e3 has been replaced with 'state of play' style events.

Yea, it was pretty evident that without Sony, E3 was going to die shortly after. Bet they're regretting not opening it up to fans like Sony and a few other publishers wanted, instead of keeping it mainly for the "journalists" and just few pleebs they let in.

Fredrik

They’ll still do trailers if the games are coming out soon, we’ll just get a bunch of minor digital events and boring youtube videos instead, plus the hyped up and always drawn out and disappointing Geoff alternative.

I thought that was Take 2? And yeah, it was absolutely horrible.

Not that I'm against more diversity/representation in the medium on the employee side. But, absolutely no one watches E3 to hear about that type of stuff. It's for kickass games. They already took away the booth babes, they're trying to take the games away too.

And now they just took E3 away instead 😞

Sucks, but it seems like console makers only want an event for themselves and not have to share the stage and compete with others. Unfortunately, it seems like e3 has been replaced with 'state of play' style events.

Nah those would be more like the Showcase events. But it does kind of suck that everyone seems to want to do their own thing in their own bubbles now. We'll never get another "$299", another "Giant enemy crabs!", another "Riiiiiidge Raaaaacer!", another Konami 2010, another "This is how you share games."

It's like watching a sporting event between two teams in two separate stadiums with their own fans in each "competing" like it's some turn-based virtual show. It can never replace the excitement of everyone being in the same place at once IMHO.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I find it so droll that they cancel E3 2022 and immediately announce a E3 2023. Getting rather tired of the industry's obsession with fake hype announcements.

"We canceled this big event to showcase all our big games and new hardware just like last year!! But don't worry next year we will definitely be back and better then ever!!"

Pfffft. Yeah right. Gimme a kit kat bar. But this stuff is pretty sad.

E3 effectively died once Nintendo went their own way. And slowly everyone else is following them until there is nothing left.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, looks like it's up to game companies to string together a bunch of pre-recorded or live streamed videos in June.

I'd rather have an E3 where you got live people trying to hype up games in front of an audience. Made even better as sometimes there's fuck ups making it funny. Ya, these shows can be pretty shallow with company reps trying to PR their game system (and their own careers) for gamers, but I still like it.

Only real drawback of E3's is when anyone of them try to make it weird or fluff it up with dumb shit (Sony's musical bits, Kinect demos, dumb scripted sessions).

I just like simple traditional E3s where some people come on stage and showcase first and third party heavy hitters with a splash of indie montage. Not sure why they try to deviate from that formula.

SkylineRKR

I don't really care. Just announce games when they're ready and not far off. Everyone has access to video content. I like those PSX and focused SoP shows more anyway.

Top Bottom