• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2022 has been officially canceled

Another one of these:
EcPz_rkUMAEwc1Y.jpg:large
Well they need to announce something

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't really care. Just announce games when they're ready and not far off. Everyone has access to video content. I like those PSX and focused SoP shows more anyway.
Thats a key issue with these Xbox and Sony state of plays.

Although its good in a way they can cut out all the stage show spokesmen bits which can be waste of time, they still rely on canned videos of games which can be CGI trailers or games 3 years away.

Since these shows come out quarterly(?), you'd think they would focus more on whats coming this fall kind of thing, since they got lots of opportunities to keep updating gamers. But they still resort to once a year E3 kinds of tactics.

Banjo64

cumsessed
It’s all crap. Only good thing about e3 was checking to see if Sony or Nintendo had done a ‘one more thing’ or if there was new hardware.

The replacement by Geoff many-friends shit-trainers is even worse though.

drganon

It's a shame what happened to e3. It was cool having all the main players of the industry under one roof showing off their stuff. All of these shitty online events just aren't the same.

FunkMiller

E3 started to die the year Sony pulled out, and the death rattle has just got louder, until Covid really ass fucked it. Unless they can get everyone to agree to come back for it, it’s dead as shit.

Well, looks like it's up to game companies to string together a bunch of pre-recorded or live streamed videos in June.

I'd rather have an E3 where you got live people trying to hype up games in front of an audience. Made even better as sometimes there's fuck ups making it funny. Ya, these shows can be pretty shallow with company reps trying to PR their game system (and their own careers) for gamers, but I still like it.

Only real drawback of E3's is when anyone of them try to make it weird or fluff it up with dumb shit (Sony's musical bits, Kinect demos, dumb scripted sessions).

I just like simple traditional E3s where some people come on stage and showcase first and third party heavy hitters with a splash of indie montage. Not sure why they try to deviate from that formula.

Spot on. It was the best of times and the worst (embarrassing) of times, but at least the industry shared them together, as did us in the hobby. It's like the weird effect where the world being more 'connected' online via social media has actually made a lot of people even more insular, people forming cliques based on identities and having their own echo chambers and bubbles.

You don't even have to mingle with people or groups outside of that little bubble, really, but there's opportunities lost in the process. I don't mind the self-ran big showcase events or even some of the smaller ones, but it's just not the same. Also won't all of this somewhat hurt smaller games building an audience, or even finding publishers? They aren't going to have the ability to do their own shows, and I don't think the vast majority of indies have the commercial appeal to draw in viewers without the bigger AAA games being present.

Like, did anyone really watch the latest ID@Xbox? Did they care? I think the smaller SoPs have a good system since they use those for smaller games & indies, with maybe one or two AAA games thrown in, with a short runtime. Then if people want to find more info on those indies, they can go search for it. I don't watch a lot of Directs but I'm assuming they have a few which are similar to that and then they have their bigger ones focused on 1P games like the one in June.

Microsoft apparently want to do more shows in the future, I'm hoping they take this chance to do a few smaller shows that can both serve as more regular updates for 1P games and showcases for smaller AA and indie games, that don't have to be any longer than half an hour.

No worries theres still gamescom and tgs

Until those end up getting cancelled too 😓

Very sad. I loved E3 and how it allowed the public to play games that were being shown off.

Microsoft have something set up where people can demo select games at E3 on their consoles for a limited time. Was a very neat thing of them to do, I think they had it set up last year with Summer Games Fest and/or E3.

It'd be great if Sony & Nintendo could do something similar with their games: anything with a playable demo at the big show, 1P or 3P, offer time-limited demos for home owners to play them too.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
E3 started to die the year Sony pulled out, and the death rattle has just got louder, until Covid really ass fucked it. Unless they can get everyone to agree to come back for it, it’s dead as shit.
Sony's departure was a big blow to E3. But I think when Nintendo dropped out of making a conference was the beginning of the end.

Sony's departure was a big blow to E3. But I think when Nintendo dropped out of making a conference was the beginning of the end.
Nintendo didn't outright bail E3 quite the same way, though. Nintendo Direct seemed more like Nintendo having the foresight to prepare for E3's fall than them actively killing it the way Sony dropping it did.

Top Bottom