• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

E3 2023 Has Been Canceled

Well that is unfortunate. It used to be an amazing yearly show. Once Sony pulled out it wasn’t the same. Now MS and Nintendo have pulled out and that’s what put it over the edge imo. No point in having a show without the three of them. I guess each company has decided it’s best to do their own shows from here on out. Oh well, the end of an era.

Last edited:

hemo memo

Gold Member
Most everyone follows gaming news online, on YouTube, not live at a specific weekend of the year. Aside from the fact that all smaller publishers and games got buried under the MS, Nintendo, Sony, EA, Ubi Soft and such coverage. It served a purpose before, but it's useless now.
Some of the press which it is their main job are complaining that following announcements now is a mess compared to E3 where everything is at and you tell me that it is easy for people? No. It is not.

That's actually backwards, the big games got all the attention at E3 while anything smaller got lost in the sea of news. It is obvious, you had all the major platform holders and third parties gathered in one place to do their announcements over a single weekend, anything smaller was forgotten, so obviously things were going to change as soon as YouTube got as big as it did.
This is true. I remember the E3 edition of gaming mags and they had maybe half a page for the smaller games.

I felt bad for the developers who had to share the same show with Resident Evil or Final Fantasy.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Long time coming, but it's the end of an era.

I have so many good memories of E3, it was really every gamer nerd's dream. Meeting my heroes like Koji Igarashi and Yuji Naka and Will Wright, the year Prince played Sony's after party, or when The Who played Harmonix's event, or sitting in the corner and talking to crazy Dennis Dyack for like an hour, or playing Mario Galaxy before anyone...

E3 was such a cool thing, but as the focus was more and more on these big stage presentations, it was only a matter of time before they realized they didn't need the convention itself.
This is a really great point. In the 90s and early 00s, it was a trade show, journalists from IGN or whatever would come, and write articles, and we would read those articles and get hyped, but that was that. All that stuff like the after parties, shows, etc. were basically the industry kissing up to each other.

But once online video became more widespread, then the companies decided to take advantage of it and try to sell beyond the people in the room. And at some point they just decided to cut out the middleman and save millions of dollars. If you look at CES or NAMM or some other trade shows, the coverage and operation of those shows is basically the same today as E3 was in 2000, industry journalists writing articles and putting them online for the most part, so they persist while E3 is dead.

Last edited:

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think they should've never opened it to the public. When you do a professional convention they last longer, since there were already others for the public like Pax.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
Damn, this could have been Konami's E3 comeback!

88uK.gif

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
It should have ended after 2006.

It almost did actually. But headstrong company execs kept it going. It was a zombie of its former self right there and then...

I see complaints about letting the public in but if memory serves there were so many gaming media that even journos had to wait hours for an interview.

Top Bottom