• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA announces Skate 2 server shutdown the same day it comes to Backward Compatibility

ManaByte

During Microsoft’s Xbox Anniversary festivities this week the company announced that 70+ Xbox 360 and original Xbox titles were added to backward compatibility on Xbox Series X|S and Xbox One. EA’s Skate was one series that Microsoft called out specifically, stating that “the entire Skate franchise is now complete with the addition of Skate 2”. EA then retweeted the Xbox account’s news to make a less exciting announcement of their own:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
gone christmas GIF

Fuck EA.

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Lol. What a dick move.

Probably because they released Halo early and now BF has more competition. /S

Andodalf

Banned
Skate 2 is 12 years old. Honestly very few games have their servers up that long. I know Sony has killed it’s less popular games in half the time. This isnt strange at all. These serves were probably on life support and couldn’t handle more strain from new players anyway

Mr Moose

Skate 2 is 12 years old. Honestly very few games have their servers up that long. I know Sony has killed it’s less popular games in half the time. This isnt strange at all. These serves were probably on life support and couldn’t handle more strain from new players anyway
Not sure what Sony has to do with this thread, but OK.
MS reminded EA that the servers were still up, EA took action.

SomeGit

If they can handle the load right now, they probably could handle the load in a month, since there's probably a spike in players at the moment.
It's just very odd timing.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
What sucks is that R* already shut down MP3 servers, so it's BC, but without Multi player which also sucks.

Andodalf

Banned
If they can handle the load right now, they probably could handle the load in a month, since there's probably a spike in players at the moment.
It's just very odd timing.
They probably bought extra server space knowing it was going to get put on BC, but the game doesn’t make any revenue to justify that. MS hasn’t put anything on BC in like 2 years, it’s entirely possible this game was ready to go over a year ago and just had to wait till today, making all the timing seem much worse.

SomeGit

They probably bought extra server space knowing it was going to get put on BC, but the game doesn’t make any revenue to justify that. MS hasn’t put anything on BC in like 2 years, it’s entirely possible this game was ready to go over a year ago and just had to wait till today, making all the timing seem much worse.
That's probably it, I think Skate 2 servers were already shut down once, then came back in 2018(?). Since the game isn't up for sale it could also have been in limbo since that time due to licensing.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
No, not strange, just very poor timing by EA. MS announces Skate 2 as part of their BC initiative and on the same day EA announces it's shutting down servers.

DaGwaphics

Probably saw the back compat announcement and looked over at that one prehistoric server they had left online and thought, hell na. :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:

Andodalf

Banned
No, not strange, just very poor timing by EA. MS announces Skate 2 as part of their BC initiative and on the same day EA announces it's shutting down servers.
It could well be they planned on account it even closer to its being shut down, but decided to move it earlier with this date

I think its about time publishers start letting up to idea that the community can run and set up their own servers once they discontinue their services. Way too many MPs have been deprecated over years. So much so that the most recent gens are practically, a massive landfill of them.

Last edited:

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
That there is what you call one of them son of a bitch type moves. You got to admire the hustle behind this little bastard type scenario.

As George Carlin would say, "you have to sit back and awe, in AWE, at the all-time leader at this kind of stuff, EA".

Let us pray.

Last edited:

nush

Gold Member
EA: Oh no, new players are gonna play our game, better close those servers!

Exactly this, we were fine with it coasting along with very low users. Now we preemptively assume nobody will buy the digital version and will just start playing used discs and cost us a little more money. Fuck EA.

Drew1440

I'm actually surprised the servers were still up, maybe EA forgot and only just found out once Microsoft announced their BC update.

Top Bottom