• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA brand boss Elle McCarthy says the term ‘gamer’ is outdated

Bryank75

Banned
Looked at her twitter... First pinned post 'What if language is the patriarchy'...
Why do we have to suffer listening to these inane, vapid, copy and paste personalities?

Get a straight talker in there who actually plays games and you'd sell 2 or 3 times as many games.

Nearly everyone on this forum can smell the bullshit coming long before we see someone like her.

Shmunter

Looked at her twitter... First pinned post 'What if language is the patriarchy'...
Why do we have to suffer listening to these inane, vapid, copy and paste personalities?

Get a straight talker in there who actually plays games and you'd sell 2 or 3 times as many games.

Nearly everyone on this forum can smell the bullshit coming long before we see someone like her.
There is always an agenda with all of this.

Jaybe

Sounds like more fucking woke Newspeak

With a new Battlefield coming out, is this the new exec EA wants to tell us not to buy it?

this is her key professional accomplishment?

Elle McCarthy is an advertising planner and writer. Her work in the equality space is best summarized by the title of her keynote speech 'What if Language is the Patriarchy?' which she gave at The 3% Conference in 2019.

https://www.marketingsociety.com/elle-mccarthy

Last edited:

j0hnnix

McCarthy claims just 14% of players describe themselves as gamers and the figure drops to 6% for women.
bruce willis popsicle GIF

TYRiAX

The term gamer is no longer meaningful. It is used so broadly you may as well just say human at this point.

Everytime I see someone trying to be clever saying: "Gamers suck because blah blah blah" I always think... but arent you a gamer too? You do play games right?

“Gaming is no longer a medium or an industry, it is simply ‘interactive’. You can now interact with almost everything through play—from an interest area like interior design to a movement like Black Lives Matter or exploring your sexual identity,” she said.

69b.png

I can't believe I lived long enough to read this masterpiece.

GeorgPrime

Banned

That’s the view of Electronic Arts‘ VP of brand, Elle McCarthy, who told Adweek that “the convergence of gaming and everything in culture” means almost everyone is now a ‘player’.

“Gaming is no longer a medium or an industry, it is simply ‘interactive’. You can now interact with almost everything through play—from an interest area like interior design to a movement like Black Lives Matter or exploring your sexual identity,” she said.

According to McCarthy, “there’s really no such thing as gamers at all and understanding that will be crucial” for marketers hoping to engage in the interactive entertainment space.

“The recent rise in more lo-fi live service games allows faster integration of culture than ever before,” she said. “This is a huge opportunity for marketing and forces a more audience-first and fluid approach for brands looking to engage authentically.”

McCarthy claims just 14% of players describe themselves as gamers and the figure drops to 6% for women.

“There are no best practice rules for how to engage with these niche, multifaceted and passionate communities,” she said. “Trying to target gamers is like saying you’re targeting people who like music or people who breathe in air.”

McCarthy joined EA in February 2020 with a remit to breathe new life into the near 40-year-old brand

I think that EA Is outdated

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I mean, she’s got a point: “gamers” know what EA is about and don’t buy their shit anymore. They make money marketing to the fifa/nfl casuals who religiously buy their roster updates year after year.

They’d rather pretend the people who dislike them don’t exist.

That’s the view of Electronic Arts‘ VP of brand, Elle McCarthy, who told Adweek that “the convergence of gaming and everything in culture” means almost everyone is now a ‘player’.

According to McCarthy, “there’s really no such thing as gamers at all and understanding that will be crucial” for marketers hoping to engage in the interactive entertainment space.

“The recent rise in more lo-fi live service games allows faster integration of culture than ever before,” she said. “This is a huge opportunity for marketing and forces a more audience-first and fluid approach for brands looking to engage authentically.”

“There are no best practice rules for how to engage with these niche, multifaceted and passionate communities,” she said. “Trying to target gamers is like saying you’re targeting people who like music or people who breathe in air.”

McCarthy joined EA in February 2020 with a remit to breathe new life into the near 40-year-old brand
She's right with the premise though. There's no such thing as "gamer" anymore. Video games are part of our common life now, it's no longer something weird or special to know someone who plays videogames. Know almost everyone play videogames, be it on a console or on a mobile device, the truth is there are no "gamers" anymore.

Azurro

Banned
EDMIX EDMIX I see your point. Can you please tell me in which game you explored your sexuality and in which game you voiced your support for BLM?

Orta

Banned
You can now interact with almost everything through play—from an interest area like interior design to a movement like Black Lives Matter or exploring your sexual identity,” she said.

Who the fuck let that silly cow out of the kitchen?

Javthusiast

Banned
The label of gamer has always been awful...

Just like cineaste for movies

Or bookworm for readers

"I like video games" is all you need to say.
This right here.

Although I gotta say, labels like coomer are correct, cause I am a degenerate one of those. xD

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yep the term gamer is outdate ...Here at EA we like to call them "playing wallets", we feel it is a term that better represent them in our eyes.

Skifi28

Trying to talk about gamers while using black lives matter examples...I'm sorry, what? How do these people get paid to be clueless?

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Gamer is tainted and an old term that people still associate with nerds/dorks.

The easiest way to try and grow your market in these instances is to 'rebadge' it to lose the stigma, and make it aspirational or something people want to identify with/or normalise the members of the group. Cue......

Lose stigma: People are no longer just sweaty, neckbeard gamers. Games are not just for basement dwelling D&D players
Establish rebadging: Everyone plays games these days so you're just part of an 'interactive consumer base'
Create identity: Housewives, children, MP's, ethnic minorities, adults, LGBT all play games
Advertise to new group holistically who now - supposedly - will take an interest in interactive consumer marketing whereas they wouldn't go and see game trailers etc.

She's just doing her job, and given Twitter proves how many dumb sheeple there are in the world, she is likely to be successful at it. Hence being VP of branding.

GreenAlien

Gamers are officially a minority now. Rejoice, in woke theology that gives us special rights and protections. Also, Elle McCarthy just showed her lack of proper progressivism by calling gamers outdated instead of championing our cause.

Last edited:

Ma-Yuan

Good for them to have figured that out. I as a player can't even remember when I bought any of their connecting products the last time was most likely from the bargain bin 😅

so you're telling me if i'm not a gamer i shouldn't buy games? but...you want me to buy your games? so what does that make me? a player? of what? games? so i'm a gamer???

fucking hell man. the video game industry is so fucking stupid. wokeness has fucking ruined it. everyone is too scared to upset each other. it's madness!

Last edited:
Top Bottom