• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA confirms that Respawn Entertainment will work new Star Wars titles

Draugoth

Gold Member

Respawn will directly develop the next Star Wars Jedi title and the new Star Wars FPS (led by Peter Hirschmann) The Star Wars strategy game will be published by Respawn and developed by the newly formed studio Bit Reactor (former Fireaxis Games lead devs)

- next Star Wars Jedi game
- new Star Wars FPS game
- new Star Wars strategy game

ManaByte

Respawn. Star Wars. FPS.

saturday night live snl GIF

Batiman

Banned
I was thinking the other day when people were talking acquisitions. Respawn would’ve been a good pick up for either MS or Sony before EA scooped them up. We’re they ever independent? Would’ve been the perfect studio for Sony to get a MP shooter franchise going. Sorry for off topic.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I don't know why people care so much about Star Wars.

It's fucking everywhere and getting boring.

Same reason Marvel is as big as it is. Disney has the money and power to push it into the foreground of mainstream consumerism.

Star Wars is losing steam much faster though. Each of the new trilogy movies made less money than the last, meanwhile the new Spider-Man just beat The Avengers 2012.

HTK

Banned
This. I’d rather see a big budget Star Trek game.
Hello fellow Trekkie. I'm with you, I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies or care about anything Star Wars related. I did enjoy Star Wars: Battlefront games back in the day but that was short lived.

I feel like Respawn Entertainment should have done a Battlefield game but like Call of Duty instead of large scale. Or just take over the Medal of Honor IP and go for it.

Last edited:

OZ9000

Banned
Same reason Marvel is as big as it is. Disney has the money and power to push it into the foreground of mainstream consumerism.

Star Wars is losing steam much faster though. Each of the new trilogy movies made less money than the last, meanwhile the new Spider-Man just beat The Avengers 2012.
Marvel is way more interesting as a universe. You have thousands of different superheroes, locales, villains etc.

Every Star Wars game has the exact same aesthetic and the games are generally samey same.

I did like Republic Commando, Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast though.

They better go full on Dark Souls on the sequel to Fallen Order, no easy difficulty and all that baby shit. Give me a hardcore master difficulty Fallen Order sequel with more metroidvania level design.

I'm a massive fan of Star Wars, at least what it used to be. I read all the book growing up, I had a huge collection of junk and I used to daydream about the idea of an entire other civilization in another galaxy. It's a big universe and there is a lot they could put into games.

The problem is they keep putting the same people and places into the games and movies now. I love Boba Fett but I watched him "die" when I was a kid. He didn't need to come back 30+ years later. Then there are the planets, endlessly recycled.

Show me what's going on when the Hutts come into power over 1/3 of the galaxy. Show me what things are like 10,000 years after the first trilogy. We're getting to the point they'll make a series about the fucking bartender in Mos Eisley.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Marvel is way more interesting as a universe. You have thousands of different superheroes, locales, villains etc.

Every Star Wars game has the exact same aesthetic and the games are generally samey same.

That's the thing, it depends what you do with them. We've never really seen a Marvel KOTOR or Marvel MMO or Marvel FPS. There's plenty of untapped potential in both and on the other side of the coin, lots of the Marvel movies are super formulaic and just swap out characters and sets into the same templates.

Star Wars movies were hit and miss after Disney purchased the IP. The shows have done rather well. Kathleen Kennedy is probably a large part to do with that. Everything Dave Filoni has done has been good so far as I can tell.

stn

Man, I want a gritty Darth Maul action game so bad. That leftover footage from the cancelled game years ago was too much for me.

Fbh

Looking forward to Fallen order 2. Really enjoyed the first one, if they can polish up the gameplay a bit and make the exploration more rewarding (by having more than just ponchos to find) the sequel should be great.

Historical relevance and multiple generations of kids that grew up with it.
If there's one thing people love it's IP's they grew up with

Kacho

Gold Member
I mean, it’s Respawn so I’ll probably check them out. It’s just hard to care about anything Star Wars related these days. The franchise has become so bland and uninteresting.

Sybrix

All these games will be filled with:

-Microtransactions
-Cosmetics
-Season passes
-Online only
-Buggy at launch
-Playable 6 to 12 months after launch if not given up on (Anthem)

ReBurn

Gold Member
I’d like another game like Fallen Order. I’d also be ok with a shooter if it has a third person view. I probably wouldn’t play the strategy game.

MiguelItUp

Because a lot of people grew up with Star Wars (myself included) and there was a period where there REALLY wasn't a whole lot out there, aside from the OG trilogy, comics, and some games. Now we've gotten more movies (which a lot were ho hum of course) and some solid shows. It may feel oversaturated to some, but there are a lot of people that are relishing in it.

It's also....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c

Really though, Star Wars used to have some really solid titles. So it's awesome to see it getting more attention. Curious to know more about that FPS, and man, Fallen Order 2? All about it.

brian0057

Banned
"Hurr Durr... ThE gOvErNmEnT NeEdS tO iNtErViNe. tHe fReE mArKeT WoN't cOrReCt iTsElF"
The market, correcting itself:

TL;DR
Batllefront 2 was such a catastrophe that Battlefront 3 is dead and EA lost its exclusivity deal.
I'd call that a win.

Last edited:

ToTTenTranz

Banned
Isn't Respawn's Jedi Fallen Order sequel the worst-kept secret in gaming nowadays?

It's still pretty nice to know we still have another FPS and a strategy game (Empire at War sequel/remake/reboot?).

BigBooper

How am I supposed to get excited about this since EA announces and cancels Star Wars games all the time?

Still, Fallen Order was excellent.

All these games will be filled with:

-Microtransactions
-Cosmetics
-Season passes
-Online only
-Buggy at launch
-Playable 6 to 12 months after launch if not given up on (Anthem)

Respawn games have generally had none of that unless it's free to play. Jedi fallen order had none of that at all.

Kacho

Gold Member
"Hurr Durr... ThE gOvErNmEnT NeEdS tO iNtErViNe. tHe fReE mArKeT WoN't cOrReCt iTsElF"

TL;DR
Batllefront 2 was such a catastrophe that Battlefront 3 is dead and EA lost its exclusivity deal.
I'd call that a win.

Dang when did Fireaxie have a mass exodus? That strategy game will be one to keep an eye on.

Also further proof that Dice is in the shitter. Things are changing fast in the industry.

Perrott

Gold Member
The FPS sounds promising, excited to see what comes out of it alongside Quantic Dream's Star Wars: Eclipse and Aspyr's Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic Remake.

Don't have much faith put into Ubisoft Massive's open world Star Wars project or Respawn's next Star Wars Jedi game, nor any interest in their newly announced strategy title.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Would of loved another Battlefronty game but similar gameplay to the first battlefront on ps4 and Xbox one rather than the sequel

darrylgorn

That last Marvel themed game (not GOG) was extraordinarily poor.

TL;DR
I'd call that a win.

The sad thing is Battlefront plays really well and looks/performs great. The attention to detail in the game is incredible.

Unfortunately the game was almost mobile-tier in it's monetization/advancement at launch and when they fixed that, they really didn't do enough. The other shitty part is so much of the added content was only available in multiplayer. You couldn't even practice areas against bots so you'd jump in green and just get raped which drove off a lot of people who showed up late to the party after hearing "it's good now".

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
A lot of people thought Battlefront was done after Battlefront 2 2005, nobody saw Jedi Fallen order coming, Battlefront 2015 etc. every Star Wars game that comes out shocks gamers. I'll give them a long shot at another Battlefront game (huge fan) but its possible Battlefront 3 is being speculated in Dice, EA, and Respawn Entertainment circles pending the final outcome of Battlefield 2042 that was hugely successful in sales despite clear issues.

Lognor

Banned
Has EA finally figured out how to make the Star Wars IP successful? It has taken them long enough!

Yeah, I agree. Star Wars used to be more special before it was everywhere. And it looks like EA's exclusivity contract for Star Wars has ended, so we might see even more games outside of the EA ones. Disney is greedy so I expect it.

Chukhopops

Firaxis ex-devs doing a Star Wars strategy game is something I always wanted at a subconscious level.

Between that, a sequel to JFO and the KotoR remake there’s quite a lot to be hyped about.

mckmas8808

Banned
Yeah, I agree. Star Wars used to be more special before it was everywhere. And it looks like EA's exclusivity contract for Star Wars has ended, so we might see even more games outside of the EA ones. Disney is greedy so I expect it.

To me this is what losers say. Just because you have become bored with an IP doesn't mean everybody else has. Maybe.......................just maybe you can just ignore it going forward and allow us Star Wars fans to enjoy everything that we are getting.

It's the same loser mentality that have people hating on Marvel stuff now. Both owned by Disney of course. It's starting to make me wonder if all this "talk" is really anti-Disney talk, instead of people really being against Star Wars and Marvel. 🤔

YukiOnna

TL;DR
I'd call that a win.
No it's not a win for Battlefront. Battlefront 2's post launch support was fantastic and I definitely wanted another Battlefront after that.

Top Bottom