• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FYQ4: $899 million profit, Battlefront 14+ million, 9.4M Battlefield players in Q4

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
GAAP Net Income: $899 million
Non-GAAP Net Income (EA Accounting): $161 million
12 month cash flow: $1.223 billion

EA said:
Electronic Arts Reports Q4 FY16 and Full Year FY16 Financial Results
Record Fiscal Year Non-GAAP Net Revenue, Digital Net Revenue, Gross Margin, Operating Margin, EPS and Operating Cash Flow
Completed Over $1 Billion of Share Repurchases During the Fiscal Year

"Leveraging our great portfolio of brands and live services has enabled us to break records across our key financial metrics. We expect to drive strong revenue, earnings and cash flow growth into the future."
REDWOOD CITY, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Electronic Arts Inc. (NASDAQ: EA) today announced preliminary financial results for its fourth fiscal quarter ended March 31, 2016.

“FY16 was a phenomenal year for Electronic Arts as we connected hundreds of millions of players to great new games, and helped them connect with each other through rich and dynamic live services,” said Chief Executive Officer Andrew Wilson. “The year ahead is packed with excitement. Fans are thrilled with the intense action and epic scale of Battlefield 1, our EA SPORTS titles will take major leaps in innovation, and we’ll bring new experiences from our most popular brands to more players on more devices.”

“We grew non-GAAP net revenue, profitability and cash flow to record highs,” said Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen. “Leveraging our great portfolio of brands and live services has enabled us to break records across our key financial metrics. We expect to drive strong revenue, earnings and cash flow growth into the future.”

News and ongoing updates regarding EA and our games are available on EA’s blog at www.ea.com/news.

Selected Operating Highlights and Metrics:

EA was the #1 publisher on PlayStation®4 and Xbox One consoles in the Western World for fiscal year 2016 based on available sources and EA estimates.
EA was also the #1 most downloaded mobile game publisher in calendar year 2015, according to App Annie.
More than 54 million unique players engaged with our EA SPORTS™ console titles during fiscal year 2016, up 65% from last year.
Star Wars™ Battlefront™ expanded our player base as more than 15% of Star Wars™ Battlefront™ players were new to the EA ecosystem.
In Q4, there were 9.4 million unique players across EA’s Battlefield™ titles.
The Sims™ 4 player base grew by nearly two-thirds throughout the fiscal year, and The Sims FreePlay on mobile reached 200 million installs life-to-date.
Madden NFL Mobile monthly active players grew 30% in Q4 over the same quarter last year.
Star Wars™ Battlefront™, a successful new franchise, sold in more than 14 million units in fiscal year 2016.

Selected Financial Highlights:

For fiscal year 2016, GAAP net revenue was $4.396 billion of which 55% or $2.409 billion was digital, gross margin was 69.2%, operating margin was 20.4%, and GAAP diluted earnings per share was $3.50. During fiscal 2016, EA recorded a $453 million credit related to the reversal of a valuation allowance reserve on certain deferred tax assets. This credit increased our diluted GAAP earnings per share for fiscal 2016 by $1.37 per share to $3.50, but had no effect on non-GAAP earnings or cash flow.
For fiscal year 2016, non-GAAP net revenue was $4.566 billion of which 55% or $2.531 billion was digital, non-GAAP gross margin was 71.4%, non-GAAP operating margin was 28.5%, non-GAAP diluted earnings per share was $3.14 and operating cash flow was $1.223 billion. All of these are fiscal year records.
For the quarter, non-GAAP net revenue of $924 million was above guidance of $875 million. Diluted non-GAAP earnings per share of $0.50 was above guidance of $0.40.
EA’s FIFA, Madden NFL and Hockey Ultimate Team™ live services continued to perform well in Q4 as measured by non-GAAP net revenue, collectively up 26% year-over-year and up 33% on a constant currency basis.
EA repurchased 15.7 million shares in FY16 for $1.0 billion which includes 9.9 million shares in Q4 for $634 million.
Source: http://news.ea.com/press-release/co...-q4-fy16-and-full-year-fy16-financial-results

God damn -- over 14 million, even for a Star Wars game, is mighty impressive. Wonder when we'll see the next Battlefront. Maybe next year or too early?

Wow, EA killing it. Same with Battlefront. I see the complaints about shallowness, while valid in some respects, don't reflect in its sales.

And I wonder which Battlefield got the majority of those players. Probably 4.

Wow, EA killing it. Same with Battlefront. I see the complaints about shallowness, while valid in some respects, don't reflect in its sales.

Huh?, wasn't this game on sale all the time?, I saw it for like 35$ 3 weeks after launch and still passed on it.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
And the conference call begins soon: http://edge.media-server.com/m/p/4aa8he2r

t1462914000z4.png

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Really impressed by how well EA is handling the Star Wars IP - the other upcoming gaming projects sound very promising too. Not bad...not bad at all.

Well, I guess I'm part of the problem there. Bought Battlefront but have probably only played it for a couple hours. Once the audio/visual luster wears off, its an ok shooter. Granted, I knew that going in and was ok with that since I played a bunch of the beta, but in retrospect buying Battlefront was probably a bit of a waste.

Of course I'll likely do the same thing with Battlefield 1 this fall but that's hopefully more of a fully featured Battlefield game than Battlefront was.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Really impressed by how well EA is handling the Star Wars IP - the other upcoming gaming projects sound very promising too. Not bad...not bad at all.

The mobile game is doing really well too, despite the studio's previous game being the relatively unimpressive performing Dragon Age Heroes.

But the number of people still playing it reflects it. 42k according to http://swbstats.com/

that's embarrassing for a game that's sold that much and hasn't even been out that long.

_woLf

I am extremely interested to hear what EA's expectations are for Mirror's Edge Catalyst, especially after the beta.

Huh?, wasn't this game on sale all the time?, I saw it for like 35$ 3 weeks after launch and still passed on it.

No idea. Asking the wrong person.

Well, I guess I'm part of the problem there. Bought Battlefront but have probably only played it for a couple hours. Once the audio/visual luster wears off, its an ok shooter. Granted, I knew that going in and was ok with that since I played a bunch of the beta, but in retrospect buying Battlefront was probably a bit of a waste.

Of course I'll likely do the same thing with Battlefield 1 this fall but that's hopefully more of a fully featured Battlefield game than Battlefront was.

I think it's a great game to load up and jump into a couple of matches. I know a lot of people complain about its shallowness, but I found it kind of refreshing compared to the convoluted mess that is Battlefield 4.

But the number of people still playing it reflects it. 42k according to http://swbstats.com/

that's embarrassing for a game that's sold that much and hasn't even been out that long.

Wow, that is quite the drop. The last time I looked at it, it was like 50k average just on PS4 alone.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I am extremely interested to hear what EA's expectations are for Mirror's Edge Catalyst, especially after the beta.

When they moved it out of the fiscal year, they said it represented $100 million in revenue, so about 2 million copies.

Tankard

Very happy to see Battlefront did so well, i'm one who thinks this game is great and i got enough content to satisfy me, i'm still playing it.

Mahonay

Banned

It's Battlefield 4. They've maintained a large playerbase across all platforms, especially PS4 and PC.

Hardline has been a desert at times. Only spikes for short periods during new DLC releases. Although it probably saw a big surge when it went on sale recently.

One day people will understand that shipping numbers are the ones that mean money for publishers. Supply and demand.

And on another day, people will understand that the product publishers ship to retail which does not sell to consumers must be reserved for on price protection, which limits how much revenue can be recognized.

And on a third day, people will understand that knowing both shipments as well as consumer sales are equally important.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
One day people will understand that shipping numbers are the ones that mean money for publishers. Supply and demand.
It's not quite that simple due to the way big publishers work with big retailers. (Keyword: credits)

Yeah, any publisher worth their salt has a good enough grasp of inventory management to not flood the market and misrepresent demand.
This however is ultimately what it boils down to.

They could've misread initial demand for a later shipment and then used copies in December were higher than anticipated but it's a massive success either way.

Can't argue the fact - these are impressive figures. The Battlefront and BF4 servers are extemely healthy (on PS4 anyway); with all the hype around BF1 at the moment, it could even exceed these in sales and players. I would expect EA are very, very happy bunnies right now.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The mobile game is doing really well too, despite the studio's previous game being the relatively unimpressive performing Dragon Age Heroes.

Honestly i didnt even know that they released a new Star Wars mobile game - just looked it up and it doesnt look that bad. User Reviews seem quite positive and the players are willing to spend big money on it.

I would give it a try if i had more time - maybe at some point down the line. Western f2p mobile have improved quite a bit the last 12 months...still behind the japanese mobile titles but they are getting there.

LJ11

Ultimate Team is insane, there is no let up with Madden, they're pushing the tournaments heavy in MUT 2017, and guys are coming over to the mode in droves. The new salary cap mode has reignited the community, and it will just continue to grow. Wonder if they would consider making it free to play, highly doubtful, MUT is the main mode now as far as they're concerned.

Need to go back to older threads about battlefront sales predictions and get some crow out. There were quite a lot of people who didn't think it would sell that much.

And wow at battlefield player numbers, that is just huge. With an active player base like that and with BF1 having a huge amount of trailer views, BF1 is shaping up to be the highest selling in the franchise.

Chris1

Not necessarily November. Just sometime between October 1st and December 31st this year.

Aren't those financial year quarters? Cause FIFA 17 should be released in September.

edit

Forget everything I wrote starting with "Aren't"....
Not literally confirmed, but November is more or less the only logical choice left isn't it?

You can rule out December because it's definitely not coming out then, and I don't know if it'd be smart to release it early October. Early October is Gears, late October is BF1. Considering the first ones exclusivity, going up against what's possibly MS' biggest game this gen so far is a terrible move, as is competing against your own game. While it doesn't completely rule out October, I really can't see it.

NBA Live yay :p

How much does it even sell? I'm quite curious. I don't know much about the gameplay really, but the demo I played the graphics are remarkable, for Live 15 that was.

EA Sports titles might be super iterative and have zero competition for Madden and NHL.... but at least if they do one thing right it's the graphics.

I even still sometimes boot up the NHL 14 or 15 demo on PS4 lol :D

plus they won't have the whole star wars revival and the excitement around to aid them

but im sure they'll be ok

Their next Star Wars games will do just fine but I have to imagine once the novelty of Star Wars being back wears off and you have a new movie every year, eventually that might wear off on sales, at least a little bit.

Are there really 14 million people playing Battlefront? wow
It's more that EA sold 14 million copies of Battlefront to retailers.

Ryng_tolu

Banned
Those are some insane numbers, really well done EA.

Wonder if Battlefield 1 will beat it. I expect a close battle, but i think Battlefield 1 should win.

Top Bottom