• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA FYQ4: $899 million profit, Battlefront 14+ million, 9.4M Battlefield players in Q4

thefro

New Star Wars Battlefront in 2017
New Star War Action Game from Visceral in 2018

Seems like they want the Respawn game after that.

Xater

Of course the next Battlefront is next year. They got their new Battlefield/Battlefront cycle. Probably better than Battlefield and second rate Battlefield.

kevin1025

Banned
Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 in the fall. Mass Effect in early 2017. Battlefront 2 next year. EA has my space and trench bucks!

Iastfan112

Neo Member
So EA is releasing Titanfall 2 relatively close to Battlefield 1 & COD. I mean, why? While I'd rather play TF more than both of those, I don't get the reasoning

Yeah I thought the launch for the original Titanfall was brilliant as it's competition in its launch quarter was very weak(non-existent?). Stacking it up against two bigger franchises seems ill advised.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So EA is releasing Titanfall 2 relatively close to Battlefield 1 & COD. I mean, why? While I'd rather play TF more than both of those, I don't get the reasoning

Because it's ready? EA is just publishing Titanfall, they don't own the IP or Respawn. They don't have a say in when they publish it unless they pay Respawn a couple of million for waiting. It's different enough from BF1.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Battlefront 2 just in time for the next movie in the trilogy.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Because it's ready? EA is just publishing Titanfall, they don't own the IP or Respawn. They don't have a say in when they publish it unless they pay Respawn a couple of million for waiting. It's different enough from BF1.
Of course they have a say when it's published, because they are the publisher.

blakep267

The publisher can release the game whenever they want. Just because it's ready doesn't mean you release it to the wolves. Respawn got there money for the game already. while you may say it's different enough from BF, it's not different enough from COD and even though I like TF more it's not gonna beat COD

benny_a

This would explain why it looks like Battlefield 1 is moving toward microtransaction equipment/vanity/currency packs and away from map packs, at least as far as we know so far.
Andrew just said in Battlefield One there will have macrotransaction and said "maps, expansions" and microtransactions.

That with his earlier statements about service I'm interpreting this as their Battlefield 4 replacement which has seen great attachment and a long tail.

benny_a

Blake not worried about mid-cycle console upgrades because their move to Frostbite is allowing them to target new platforms or upgraded platforms easily and sees the compatibility move forward and backwards as a welcome risk reduction.

Edit: Imagine what was said in way more hypotheticals, as he stated several he can't speak for Microsoft or Sony or their plans.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
The publisher can release the game whenever they want. Just because it's ready doesn't mean you release it to the wolves. Respawn got there money for the game already. while you may say it's different enough from BF, it's not different enough from COD and even though I like TF more it's not gonna beat COD

Respawn is self-financing, EA is not funding development. Respawn is getting paid when the game launches.

Boke1879

Blake not worried about mid-cycle console upgrades because their move to Frostbite is allowing them to target new platforms or upgraded platforms easily and sees the compatibility move forward and backwards as a welcome risk reduction.

Yup. Figured this would help their engines. It's allows them to incrementally upgrade instead of a complete and expensive overhaul at the start of the new gen.

PSNEO and Xbox 1.5 are coming.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Right? Whose the consumer buying NBA Live in Feb/March... near the END of the regular season?

Is EA even trying at this point?

Yup. Figured this would help their engines. It's allows them to incrementally upgrade instead of a complete and expensive overhaul at the start of the new gen.

PSNEO and Xbox 1.5 are coming.

Well in 2020 they will have to deal with a complete new overhaul so....

Top Bottom