• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA has reportedly cancelled a single-player game codenamed Titanfall Legends, which was in development at Respawn

Draugoth

Gold Member
titanfall-2-a-1280x720.jpg

Electronic Arts has reportedly cancelled a new a single-player game set in the Titanfall/Apex Legends universe.

After it was announced on Tuesday that Apex Legends Mobile was being canceled, a new report from Bloomberg states that another secret Apex Legends game has been canceled by EA.

According to Jason Schreier, EA has ceased the development of a game based on the Apex Legends and Titanfall franchises. Known as Titanfall Legends internally, the game was being developed by Respawn Entertainment and was publically unannounced.

The game had originally been directed by Mohammad Alavi, the report says. Alavi ultimately left the company in 2022.

Salz01

I really would like another Titanfall game again. Played parts of 2 last weekend because of another thread, and the game is still great. I swear even Avatar 2 reminded me of titanfall with Australian accents and all.

As good as Titanfall 2 was, Respawn is better spent elsewhere. They have a GAAS cash cow in Apex Legends (which a lot of other publishers would envy), and they have a hit Star Wars series, where EA is fighting to keep the license for it through multiple fuck-ups and shit games. That weight would be enough for any studio to drop everything else.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
Man, the suits really have done a number on that company. Like, the one property that has consistently been touted by fans as one of the best things EA has developed and they somehow can't even get that right with the original developers and people most closely connected with the property.

Like if "Wilson Boxes" never became a thing, this company is just dead in the water or sold long ago right?

Man, the suits really have done a number on that company. Like, the one property that has consistently been touted by fans as one of the best things EA has developed and they somehow can't even get that right with the original developers and people most closely connected with the property.

Like if "Wilson Boxes" never became a thing, this company is just dead in the water or sold long ago right?

I remember reading the story of Anthem and them adding the flying at last minute to a vertical slice to please an exec and being all panicked about it, but as far as I know nobody actually consulted the exec. It just sounded like a weird dictatorship where the managers were dancing around trying to appease something out of the exec by just gut feeling and sabotaging everything else in the process because they didn’t wan’t to ask anything directly.

Last edited:
This sounds like it would have been another battle-royale type game or a mobile game in the same vein. I think when TitanFall fans clamored for a new game in the franchise, they were hoping for a proper sequel, not whatever this would have been.

simpatico

Gold Member
As good as Titanfall 2 was, Respawn is better spent elsewhere. They have a GAAS cash cow in Apex Legends (which a lot of other publishers would envy), and they have a hit Star Wars series, where EA is fighting to keep the license for it through multiple fuck-ups and shit games. That weight would be enough for any studio to drop everything else.
Better spent for stockholders or for hardcore gamers?

MiguelItUp

Man, Titanfall fans really can't catch a break, huh? Here's to hoping it's onto bigger and better things. Titanfall 3 would be tight, but at this point, I'm just not going to expect anything Titanfall related, and if it happens, neat!

//DEVIL//

fucking NO >_<

Titanfall 2 is by far had the best single player ( and honestly IMO online multiplayer ) game of all time. sucks man I hate this >_>

fuck you EA. I want titanfall.

Better spent for stockholders or for hardcore gamers?
It can be both depending on what they do with the license. Titanfall 2 wasn’t a game that made much money overall (it was a complete bomb at release), but it has enough of a fanbase to revive the IP assuming EA can get a game that they can monetize, but to do that it has to attract and maintain a hardcore base which they aren’t going to do in a single player game.

But yes stockholder-wise: ‘single player’+‘Titanfall’= failure.

Titanfall 2 was good… but it was never successful. From a hardcore perspective I rather Respawn proper continue on the single player Star Wars games as a focus…even though I’m not a big fan of the metroidvania running back and forth part of it personally, but the fact others love it makes me want them to continue.

Last edited:

simpatico

Gold Member
It can be both depending on what they do with the license, it wasn’t a game that made much money overall (it was a complete bomb at release), but it has enough of a fanbase to revive the IP in a game that they can monetize in an online game, but to do that it has to attract and maintain a hardcore base which they aren’t going to do in a single player game.

But yes stockholder-wise: ‘single player’+‘Titanfall’= failure.

Titanfall 2 was good… but it was never successful. From a hardcore perspective I rather Respawn proper continue on the single player Star Wars games as a focus…even though I’m not a big fan of the metroidvania running back and forth part of it.
Their Star Wars game was good, but am I the only one who's tired of lightsabers hitting with the power of a wiffle ball bat? I get that they're stuck with it because Disney, but hell maybe make all the enemies droids or something so it can actually feel like wielding a light saber. This thing cut off Darth Vader's hand with ease, but I have to beat a storm trooper 8 times with it to make him fall over? It's rough.

Their Star Wars game was good, but am I the only one who's tired of lightsabers hitting with the power of a wiffle ball bat? I get that they're stuck with it because Disney, but hell maybe make all the enemies droids or something so it can actually feel like wielding a light saber. This thing cut off Darth Vader's hand with ease, but I have to beat a storm trooper 8 times with it to make him fall over? It's rough.
You just aren’t using enough Force. 🤣

I I’ll see myself out.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I agree. The combat was not good overall, some bits showed potential. Sekiro might make it more realistic, because when you take a hit, its gonna kill basically

Last edited:

RickMasters

If true....I hate you, EA. Titanfall is a franchise I love a tonne that seems to just be neglected. I still dont get why people didnt enjoy hardpoint for example. Its one of the better MP modes in any game out there. and the mechs....the mechs...how can people not want to play this game anymore? damn shame....

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Board room meeting 1
Programmer: Hey exec, we have a SP Titanfall game idea, but it doesn't look suitable for mtx and dlc digital dollars

Exec: Kill it

Board room meeting 2
Programmer: Hey exec, our focus groups show gamers are interested in mtx and dlc for a tic-tac-toe game

Exec: Make it

jigglet

Banned
Studio proves they can make a hit.

Studio is still not granted creative freedom.

Damned either way.

I agree. The combat was not good overall, some bits showed potential. Sekiro might make it more realistic, because when you take a hit, its gonna kill basically
I think they wanted it well below Souls difficulty on normal, but had to crutch on enemy health to make it more challenging on the higher difficulties. The thing is you can always change the individual settings of difficulty outside of the prestets. The specific difficulty settings are extensive, you can probably make them OHKO if you wanted and still keep it challenging, I can’t recall many games ever had that had this many specific difficulty settings.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

I think they wanted it well below Souls difficulty on normal, but had to crutch on enemy health to make it more challenging on the higher difficulties. The thing is you can always change the individual settings of difficulty outside of the prestets. The specific difficulty settings are extensive, you can probably make them OHKO if you wanted and still keep it challenging, I can’t recall many games ever had that had this many specific difficulty settings.

It wasnt the difficulty it was just kinda broken for me

Someone just needs to make a total ripoff called MechDrop or something. There is obviously a market and a desire for more and EA is literal ass. Free market needs to adjust.

EDMIX

Reswpawn has created some of EA's biggest hits. Why in the world would they sell them to Microsoft?

Agreed.

We don't even know what was even wrong with that game to pretend it being gone was some huuuuuge lost. If its not working out, its not working out. I'd rather have them move on to something that is working for em.

Sentenza

I kinda wish to know more about what it was, exactly. Apex and the main franchise share very little in terms of style, art direction, aesthetic and vibe.
If it was closer to Apex0 clown world I don't really give a damn, but if it was closer to Titanfall 2 I'd be disappointed.

On second thought, it's probably better if I don't know.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

I just tried playing some Titanfall 2 on the ps5 to play what was one of the best, most unique multi-player games of last gen and COULD NOT FIND A MATCH.

FUCK YOU EA

Top Bottom