• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is removing all Russian teams from FIFA 22 and NHL 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfey

Banned

EA has decided to remove all Russian teams from its current FIFA and NHL games.

This means it plans to remove the Russian national team and all Russian clubs from FIFA 22, NHL 22, FIFA Mobile and FIFA online.

A statement posted on the official FIFA Twitter account confirmed that it “has initiated processes” to remove the teams, due to Russia’s ongoing invasion of Ukraine.

EA Sports stands in solidarity with the Ukrainian people and like so many voices across the world of football, calls for peace and an end to the invasion of Ukraine,” the statement reads.

“In line with our partners at FIFA and UEFA, EA Sports has initiated processes to remove the Russian national team and all Russian clubs from EA Sports FIFA products including FIFA 22, FIFA Mobile and FIFA Online.
“We’re also actively evaluating related changes to other areas of our games.
“We will keep our communities up to date on any actions taken, and thank players for their patience as we work through these updates.”

Another statement was posted on the official NHL 22 account, saying it was also removing Russian teams, as well as Belarusian teams.
“Following the IIHF’s suspension of all Russian and Belarusian national and club teams from IIHF competitions, we will be removing these teams from NHL 22 within the coming weeks,” it reads.
“We stand with the people of Ukraine and join the voices around the world calling for peace.”

Dr Bass

I don't understand how this does anything but maybe make the Russian populace, which already seems against what their govt. is doing, feel some sort of embarrassment or shame. Like seriously, what does this have to do with Ukraine? There is a difference between taking actions to hopefully stifle the actions of the Russian govt, and just "punishing all things Russian."

This falls into that second category IMO.

nush

Gold Member
Ugh, this is getting weird.

You're next.

OIP-C.UCOxDIR4rPxk5klVC4th7gHaEK

EDMIX

Serious world issues reduced to EA jumping on a corporate PR bandwagon. Pretty juvenile. Cancel culture is clearly never going to stop if this is how people think now.

Think now? the massive lolz. Some here seem to have failed history or know not of business even remotely.

That isn't a "think now", that is a "has always been" concept. I don't see anything "juvenile" about a fucking company wanting to have positive press and stay away from something that doesn't even help as much as hurts, thats simply business logic bud, nothing to do with feelings or anything dumb like that.

So will they jump on some PR bandwagon? I see no reason for them to fucking go down with a country that's currency and public image is going down by the hour. I don't even see how that would benefit the company, but you and many others have yet to even fucking give a logical reason why they should btw.

You give the reason why they should ignore the "PR bandwagon", you tell me how that would help them and I can at least see where you are coming from, but most on here haven't given any real logical, rational, BUSINESS reason why they should side with negative press from a failing country.

So yes, serious world issues will cause a company to align with something positive vs something negative, that isn't a brand new concept.

We will do that for Russia, but we'd never dare insult China.
This isn't about Putin being a dictator and murdering his own people. Everyone is okay with that. Russia is invading a country and threatening European security and THAT is why he's going down. The mad dog needs to be put back into his cage.

To my knowledge China hasn't invaded anyone since the 1970s but if they do they will be removed from FIFA. :messenger_face_screaming:

EDMIX

This dogpiling is so lame. LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME. I remember trying to play apex legends or warzone and some dumb af BLM banner would always show.

I know right, pesky companies trying to remain relevant and avoid negative press. Who do they think they are broz /s

This isn't about Putin being a dictator and murdering his own people. Everyone is okay with that. Russia is invading a country and threatening European security and THAT is why he's going down. The mad dog needs to be put back into his cage.

To my knowledge China hasn't invaded anyone since the 1970s but if they do they will be removed from FIFA. :messenger_face_screaming:
China will stop EA from selling their products to the billions of Chinese people. That is the reason they'll draw the line against Russia, but won't even openly criticize China's government.

And that's not a dig at EA specifically. Other companies have proven themselves to be equally hypocritical and spineless, such as the NBA.

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Tactic to turn the russian population against the regime. Same tactics a lot of western owned companies are doing right now.

If Putin is facing a civil war, he might have too much on his plate to continue the war with Ukraine.

EDMIX

Tactic to turn the russian population against the regime. Same tactics a lot of western owned companies are doing right now.

If Putin is facing a civil war, he might have too much on his plate to continue the war with Ukraine.

True, a war of public opinion ala hearts and minds has always been a way to align certain interest.

As far as I can tell, what Russia brings to the table isn't enough to have many companies, countries etc go down in flames with them. With the currency devaluing by the hour, billionaires pulling their money out of the country and many companies pulling support, he doesn't even have to worry about the general population, he needs to worry about those billionaires as I'm sure the true power of that country might be in their hands more then his.

So I don't think they like him enough to go poor for him lol

Who knows the long term damage already caused. Investors like stable nations, they like something they can trust long term, not some shit where at any moment some dumbass can invade other countries causing this shit hurting their investment, so who knows if the business lost will even return as I'm sure many countries are eager to pick up that lost business to start up long term partnerships. So going forward EA very much might continue to ignore the nation if it means such bad press, they don't have the might and power of a China to do such stupid shit. Look at how easily those companies moved on. Its just not worth the negative press and that business loss might be what gets those billionaires to start some plot lol

Bluecondor

Wow, such a hollow gesture that has no impact whatsoever.

If a video game company wants to show support for the Ukraine, why not follow the lead of the creators of "This War of Mine" and donate a small portion of game sales to the Red Cross in the Ukraine?

In EA's case, they could have a weeklong campaign to donate a dollar from each UT transaction in FIFA and NHL. This would even given fans a nudge to make a UT purchase during the campaign.

Nope, let's just remove Russian teams.....

EDMIX

We are living in a weird time. Prepare for more weird shit this year.

Ironically I would never see this as weird, lots of crazy shit happening, but a company removing support like this isn't that wild. I'd argue its the most normal thing occurring right now regarding this.

Historically that is what many companies do in situations like this, they don't want to align with something negative in terms of press so they remove support, this isn't a out there PR move as much as I'd say its sorta standard.

Seeing the war play out over social media might be weird if anything, but I can't say the reactions to those companies. Why would they want bad press with a country that killed children in this war? How does that help EA and would it not be more weird if EA pledge support of Russia during this or something? lol That would be one crazy news story btw lol

Tried to find you on discord earlier today. Hit me up bro, I'm an engaged man now

Congratulations!!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Fucking stupid.

So people who have nothing to do with anything have to pay the price? These corporate slugs think this is a good idea? What are they even trying to accomplish? Also where is all this energy when other countries get bombed? So many questions

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I don't understand how this does anything but maybe make the Russian populace, which already seems against what their govt. is doing, feel some sort of embarrassment or shame. Like seriously, what does this have to do with Ukraine? There is a difference between taking actions to hopefully stifle the actions of the Russian govt, and just "punishing all things Russian."

This falls into that second category IMO.

Unfortunately, the rest of the world can do little to directly influence the Russian Govt with their nuclear arsenal in tow. Making the only viable option crippling the economy and applying pressures to the populace from every avenue available in hopes that the internal upheaval can cause changes from within. Every little cut is intended to push towards that goal, even the very superficial ones.

Dr Bass

Unfortunately, the rest of the world can do little to directly influence the Russian Govt with their nuclear arsenal in tow. Making the only viable option crippling the economy and applying pressures to the populace from every avenue available in hopes that the internal upheaval can cause changes from within. Every little cut is intended to push towards that goal, even the very superficial ones.
I can understand that angle. Honest question: do you think the Russian people are not already motivated enough without moves like this? My assumption would be yes but that is purely an assumption.

Mr1999

They are just following other companies who apparently all share the same brain and cancelling anything Russia related, another one I read recently was how one domain registrar was removing registered domain names of those who were in Russia, giving them like a week to transfer out. These people just create more enemies, it doesn't help the situation. I don't understand how they can keep doing what they're doing and not see that its does everything opposite of what you are trying to accomplish.

DaGwaphics

I can understand that angle. Honest question: do you think the Russian people are not already motivated enough without moves like this? My assumption would be yes but that is purely an assumption.

I don't know. They really don't seem to have that much fire in them. You've got to figure they have slowly but surely allowed the government to retake control of every access point for information while implementing laws that make disrespecting/disagreeing with the government a crime. 🤷‍♂️

Would almost be weird if they allowed their own freedoms to be taken away, but it was the same being done to Ukrainians that tipped the scale.

Edit: No disrespect to those brave citizens that are willing to try and peacefully protest over there, the risks are far greater for such actions over there. It's easy to overlook how much easier it is to dissent publicly when there is no fear of prosecution (or at least a lot less fear).

Last edited:
Ironically I would never see this as weird, lots of crazy shit happening, but a company removing support like this isn't that wild. I'd argue its the most normal thing occurring right now regarding this.

Historically that is what many companies do in situations like this, they don't want to align with something negative in terms of press so they remove support, this isn't a out there PR move as much as I'd say its sorta standard.

Seeing the war play out over social media might be weird if anything, but I can't say the reactions to those companies. Why would they want bad press with a country that killed children in this war? How does that help EA and would it not be more weird if EA pledge support of Russia during this or something? lol That would be one crazy news story btw lol

Congratulations!!
I seriously appreciate this. We may not agree on things, but here we are. I love you brother. Thanks again

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
I don’t get how Russian citizen and fans of certain things are getting punished. Cause of that ass hat Putin actions. Right now the world is on some just cancel everything Russian.
many of the russian people are innocent and don't want this war and yeah this sucks but it's not about attacking the citizens. it's about sending a message to Putin and isolating Russia. NATO can't just go into Ukraine. For this war to end Ukraine needs to hold them off, NATO needs to punish and isolate Russia, and hopefully the Russian people need to realise what's happening (a lot are misinformed and think we are attacking them) and stand up against their government.

removing them from a video game might sound petty but every action helps. NATO countries need to crack down on Russia in anyway they can. The governments might impose economic sanctions, companies like Apple might stop selling their products, UEFA might ban them for their tournaments, EA might remove them from their games, etc. It's not cancel culture. It's not about punishing innocent Russian citizens. When Putin is removed/dead and Russia sorts it's shit out then all these punishments I'm sure will be removed.

before you mock what others do look at yourself and ask what you are doing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom