• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is removing all Russian teams from FIFA 22 and NHL 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fredrik

many of the russian people are innocent and don't want this war and yeah this sucks but it's not about attacking the citizens. it's about sending a message to Putin and isolating Russia. NATO can't just go into Ukraine. For this war to end Ukraine needs to hold them off, NATO needs to punish and isolate Russia, and hopefully the Russian people need to realise what's happening (a lot are misinformed and think we are attacking them) and stand up against their government.

removing them from a video game might sound petty but every action helps. NATO countries need to crack down on Russia in anyway they can. The governments might impose economic sanctions, companies like Apple might stop selling their products, UEFA might ban them for their tournaments, EA might remove them from their games, etc. It's not cancel culture. It's not about punishing innocent Russian citizens. When Putin is removed/dead and Russia sorts it's shit out then all these punishments I'm sure will be removed.

before you mock what others do look at yourself and ask what you are doing.
Yeah, since the west can’t send in armed forces this war can only end by making it cost too much for Putin to keep going. Is it worth it if his own people hate him and his country is becoming a bubble without any interaction with the outside world?
The west is trying get the population angry enough to revolt or people close to him to simply stop him because he alone has destroyed the life they used to have. There is no other way. Putin will turn Ukraine into a pile of rubble to get what he want, this war will only end when someone inside Russia has had enough.

Last edited:
Removing one terrorist nation is better than removing none.
We will see what actions US and all these west countries will take when China invades Taiwan.

Plus what will you call US for invading Iraq, Lybia, Yemen,Afghanistan, making Guantanamo bay and dropping nuke on Japan? Savior of humanity ?

Don't post bs bro. I don't want to bring political discussion here and im not defending Russia actions but i can't stand people double standards. Lets get back to topic now

Last edited:
Serious world issues reduced to EA jumping on a corporate PR bandwagon. Pretty juvenile. Cancel culture is clearly never going to stop if this is how people think now.
Fucking cancel culture. Can't even invade and massacre your neighbors anymore.
UBRj3mF.png

KungFucius

King Snowflake
It's weird though. It's not like Putin is on the team. I mean I get it, but it really adds to the misery of the Russian players who aren't out there causing or supporting war. Most of the world is sending strong signals to the Russian people that they want them to suffer shame at the very least, but mostly economically, to make things more difficult for their piece of shit oligarch leader. Putin doesn't give a shit about his people. He only cares about his own power and wealth.

What the fuck is the world attempting to do now? Antagonizing the entire Russian population hoping that somehow they will eventually start a bloody revolution to overthrow their government?
Such fucking foolishness.

It's not really that. They are using the situation to gain publicity and / or to shield themselves from outrage promoters. Some moron would have complained about this on Shitter and it would have gone viral for 30 seconds if they didn't do it. Now they can lead the news on it and show they are one of the good guys and plug their game at the same time. Wouldn't you do the same if you thought you could get free name recognition?

I am curious, can I order a White Russian in a bar without pissing someone off?

Last edited:

Teslerum

many of the russian people are innocent and don't want this war and yeah this sucks but it's not about attacking the citizens. it's about sending a message to Putin and isolating Russia. NATO can't just go into Ukraine. For this war to end Ukraine needs to hold them off, NATO needs to punish and isolate Russia, and hopefully the Russian people need to realise what's happening (a lot are misinformed and think we are attacking them) and stand up against their government.

removing them from a video game might sound petty but every action helps. NATO countries need to crack down on Russia in anyway they can. The governments might impose economic sanctions, companies like Apple might stop selling their products, UEFA might ban them for their tournaments, EA might remove them from their games, etc. It's not cancel culture. It's not about punishing innocent Russian citizens. When Putin is removed/dead and Russia sorts it's shit out then all these punishments I'm sure will be removed.

Good advice for yourself.

Because that's certainly one possibility. The other is that you awaken a *us vs them* mentality in the russian people.
Something that has happened quite a few times in history with horrible results (including Hitler's election) and is also something you really don't want.

*Forcing* people to rebel is a highly dangerous game. I'm all for sanctions that hurt, but perspective is always needed.

(Not that some russian teams missing from a videogame will make much of a difference)

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
Russia is the first nation to get cancelled.

But this is also the first time I'd say a cancelling event (is cancelling an "event", can I call it that?) is warranted.

Neff

You're next.

OIP-C.UCOxDIR4rPxk5klVC4th7gHaEK

his ineptness in SFV compared to his glory days are punishment enough.

I don’t get how Russian citizen and fans of certain things are getting punished. Cause of that ass hat Putin actions. Right now the world is on some just cancel everything Russian.

Cutting Russia off at the knees economically is a valid strategy in terms of turning Putin's populace against him and deterring current and future investors, but then again you have a lot of instances like this which amount to little more than protest, and many are doing it merely for corporate image boosts and social media cred.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

We will see what actions US and all these west countries will take when China invades Taiwan.

Plus what will you call US for invading Iraq, Lybia, Yemen,Afghanistan, making Guantanamo bay and dropping nuke on Japan? Savior of humanity ?

Don't post bs bro. I don't want to bring political discussion here and im not defending Russia actions but i can't stand people double standards. Lets get back to topic now

You really going to bring Hiroshima and Nagasak into that? Or even Afghanistan? There were some large events that triggered those actions, just saying.

If Ukraine was the instigator and had mounted a substantial attack on Russia to start with, the world would be taking a different position now.

UnNamed

Banned
This happen when companies just want your money and desparately try to look "good" instead to be "righteous". EA, but also Disney, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft, etc.

Blocking a bank account from an oligarch who is funding the Russian government is acceptable. Blocking a user who funds you because is born in the "wrong" country is just stupid.
EA probably think all russians subscribe a contract of absolute loyalty to Putin at birth.

bambina_russa1-ktff-u33202084172833xth-656x492corriere-web-sezioni_MASTER.jpg

"You, little filthy communist!"

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I know the intentions are there, but this doesn't harm Putin or the Russian economy in anyway, so what's the point?

I can't imagine people starting a revolution against the Russian government because Zenit St Petersburg have been removed from FIFA 22.

CeeJay

It's not much but I suppose when you are a software developer what else can you do but show your opinions via the products that you make 🤷‍♂️

Fredrik

I can't imagine people starting a revolution against the Russian government because Zenit St Petersburg have been removed from FIFA 22.
It’s the sum of all things, sports, banks, movies, music, social media, gaming, traveling, gadgets, etc. In the end it’ll be more or less complete isolation. Turns out you can’t just continue your daily routines and sit back quietly and watch your government slaughter your neighbour. If people think this is unfair then try imagining how it is for Ukrainian people right now.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I mean.. isn't FIFA and other "authorities" removing Russian teams from being able to compete/removing them from their organizations?

Like a lot of "sanction" news companies are doing what is required and then announcing it w/ a "solidarity w/ Ukraine" message. Like Boeing, who aren't allowed to supply airplane parts to Russia based on sanctions announcing their plans.

FIFA/UEFA/whatever may have told EA to remove the teams. Which wasn't required of THEM by any sanction, but they then in turn can impose this "voluntary sanction" on people who have licensed their names. EA's games ARE FIFA's games.

Last edited:

JLB

Banned
This happen when companies just want your money and desparately try to look "good" instead to be "righteous". EA, but also Disney, Sony, Microsoft, Nintendo, Ubisoft, etc.

Blocking a bank account from an oligarch who is funding the Russian government is acceptable. Blocking a user who funds you because is born in the "wrong" country is just stupid.
EA probably think all russians subscribe a contract of absolute loyalty to Putin at birth.

bambina_russa1-ktff-u33202084172833xth-656x492corriere-web-sezioni_MASTER.jpg

"You, little filthy communist!"

Even an italian university has attempted to ban dostoevsky.
Non sense won. Again.

Notabueno

Banned
So the US provoked a war against Russia using Ukraine as proxy when they ruptured with the Minsk treaties, trying to settle a Nato base, and of course Russia has no other choice but to retaliate.

Now I would expect right-wing dingos to support war and lead us to WWIII but why is it actually always lefties that support the war propaganda and imperialism (at least western ones)?

Last edited:
Virtue signaling intensifies.
So the US provoked a war against Russia using Ukraine as proxy when they rupture with the Minsk treaties trying to settle a Nato base, and of course Russia as no other choice but to retaliate.

Now I would expect right wing dingos to support war and lead us to WWIII by why is it actually always lefties that support the war propaganda and imperialism (at least western ones)?
Lefties have proven with Covid that they are gullible and will trust "official sources" as far as getting the logos of pharmaceutical companies tattooed on them.

So 24/7 anti-Russia propaganda in the media will definitely turn them into rabid war hawks.

daveonezero

Banned
No. Logical inconsistency creates confusion.

None of these big 3 have clean hands. should add the number 1 nation builder to that list. One which has invaded and sent “peace keeping” forces to multiple nations over decades.

This is the analogous to corporations supporting BLM.

Corporations which half the time the larger gaming community doesn’t even side with because of poor work conditions.

But now regressives on journalist sites are probably applauding EA and CDProjexr for this.

Last week they were evil for making their teams work over time.

Last edited:

daveonezero

Banned
It’s the sum of all things, sports, banks, movies, music, social media, gaming, traveling, gadgets, etc. In the end it’ll be more or less complete isolation. Turns out you can’t just continue your daily routines and sit back quietly and watch your government slaughter your neighbour. If people think this is unfair then try imagining how it is for Ukrainian people right now.
Yeah they should have traveled to South America half way across the world and it would have been ok. SMH.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
True, a war of public opinion ala hearts and minds has always been a way to align certain interest.

As far as I can tell, what Russia brings to the table isn't enough to have many companies, countries etc go down in flames with them. With the currency devaluing by the hour, billionaires pulling their money out of the country and many companies pulling support, he doesn't even have to worry about the general population, he needs to worry about those billionaires as I'm sure the true power of that country might be in their hands more then his.

So I don't think they like him enough to go poor for him lol

Who knows the long term damage already caused. Investors like stable nations, they like something they can trust long term, not some shit where at any moment some dumbass can invade other countries causing this shit hurting their investment, so who knows if the business lost will even return as I'm sure many countries are eager to pick up that lost business to start up long term partnerships. So going forward EA very much might continue to ignore the nation if it means such bad press, they don't have the might and power of a China to do such stupid shit. Look at how easily those companies moved on. Its just not worth the negative press and that business loss might be what gets those billionaires to start some plot lol
Did you negotiate the post WWI conditions? Punishing people turned out a treat, no Kaiser back on power like before.

It can backfire… the situation back there is complex. Fuelling a Cold War v2 scenario with Russian people phobia could backfire.

isoRhythm

Banned
This is getting really stupid. People will completely forget about this in a few weeks, just like they do with everything else (Cough cough covid).

I blame Kony 2012 for this trend.

Did you negotiate the post WWI conditions? Punishing people turned out a treat, no Kaiser back on power like before.

It can backfire… the situation back there is complex. Fuelling a Cold War v2 scenario with Russian people phobia could backfire.

It's even dumber when people are arguing that Russia is becoming a pariah state.. when in reality it's just going to strengthen the ties between Russia/India/Iran etc while Russia simultaneously controls Europe's gas supply... I don't think anyone really thought this through.

YOU WILL PAY $70 + tax + tip FOR LESS CONTENT (EA is genius for this btw)

Last edited:

UnNamed

Banned
I had a afterthought.

I didn't like this ban of accounts, I thought it was useless and unfair.

But then I've read what the "tech" minister of Ucraine, Mykailo Fedorov said about blocking account tied to entertaintment services like Netflix or Xbox, and I think he's right. Entertainment is not only fun, is social thing and is tied with psyche to push mood.
Remove all this services and this will effect the russian's morale. We are not jn the WWII anymore, we live in a world where soldiers do instagram stories during war. People don't want to lose something they think they have for granted.

Remove all this hobby and lot of russian will have more time to ponder. Sometimes thinking too much is dangerous.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No. Logical inconsistency creates confusion.

None of these big 3 have clean hands. should add the number 1 nation builder to that list. One which has invaded and sent “peace keeping” forces to multiple nations over decades.

This is the analogous to corporations supporting BLM.

Corporations which half the time the larger gaming community doesn’t even side with because of poor work conditions.

But now regressives on journalist sites are probably applauding EA and CDProjexr for this.

Last week they were evil for making their teams work over time.
It's how they ended Occupy Wall Street. Same tactics.

daveonezero

Banned
It's how they ended Occupy Wall Street. Same tactics.
All sorts of history and gov corp tactics of manipulation.

No one cares about slave labor in Africa or China but if Russia starts fighting Azov Brigade everyone is jumping in line with the literal Nazis putting their ammo in pig lard.

It is straight out of the CIA Middle East play book to radicalize a segment of the population and put it against power structures to destabilize a region.

Y’all are being played and placated to by your emotions. Might be best to just stop gaming if this is the type of shit that moves you. Read some books and listen to some informative or historical podcasts.

EDMIX

If the people want to avoid more of this, maybe they should do something about their government doing this shit to other countries or leave Russia in general as clearly this shit isn't working out for the country atm.

Either way, no fucking company has an ode to support negative shit that hurts their image solely to help the "people" when that aid is actually helping the government too.

They are a casualty from what the Russian Government has done, not from what EA or other companies have done bud, put the blame where it belongs and once again give a real fucking reason why any company should take on negative fucking press and bad PR about a country fucking killing babies.

oh shit, let me not pull my investments out of that country, I should go poor and bankrupt to support the "people" right?

So I don't see EA removing a team as "punishing" or losing support of those businesses as "punishing" as they are not owed that shit, no one NEEDS to fucking put their money their if it doesn't make sense. Maybe the Russian Government should have thought about how this would hurt its people bud, maybe they should have been looking out for them when they decided this suicide mission... Its not EA's job to support that countries people or something lol

Russia simultaneously controls Europe's gas supply... I don't think anyone really thought this through.

Oh trust me, they thought that thru well enough.

So...I think its you that has not thought this thru and I don't think you see the writing on the wall on the oil dependency, those days are very much coming to an end and last year many massive moments happened while some of you were arguing about hair color and chin size on fucking video game pixels lol

easily one of the most massive announcements regarding this...

So a clear reason exist why some of those countries don't give a shit about Russia having oil bud.

Norway and Africa supply UK with more oil then Russia, thus they don't give a shit.
Russia does supply them with Coal, but coal is being phased out in the UK, thus...they don't give a shit, you should have looked all that shit up btw lol

So Russia is not the only country with oil, it is also being phased out by many countries BECAUSE of the move by automakers.

UnNamed

Banned

PeteBull

What the fuck is the world attempting to do now? Antagonizing the entire Russian population hoping that somehow they will eventually start a bloody revolution to overthrow their government?
Such fucking foolishness.
70% of russian population supports putin, any sanction is good, its not like EA could send their devs to fight vs russian soldiers in Ukraine so they did next best thing, i feel donating some cash to Ukrainian humanitarian aid would be very welcome thing to do too.

Reallink

Performative

Probably the same thing you're doing about the slave labor that produced everything you own.

Last edited:
You really going to bring Hiroshima and Nagasak into that? Or even Afghanistan? There were some large events that triggered those actions, just saying.

If Ukraine was the instigator and had mounted a substantial attack on Russia to start with, the world would be taking a different position now.
What about Iraq? What events resulted in bombing of thousands there.

Afghanistan was bombed and invaded and then left to die now?. What triggered that ?

Robb

Gold Member
Would be more fun if they just changed stuff for the Russian team.

Like force the whole team to always wear the pride flag, make the goalie a look-a-like Putin who always catches the ball with his face and get progressively more damaged etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom