• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EA is removing all Russian teams from FIFA 22 and NHL 22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azurro

Banned
NATO encroaching on Russia's border since the fall of the USSR. The Maidan Uprising and US participation in it. Neo Nazi paramilitary groups being funded and given arms by the US and other Western Allies. Open and continual cultural embrace of Nazi collaborator Stepan Bandera. Zelensky banning opposition parties in Ukraine.

It's entirely possible to voice criticism of Russia and their actions, while also voicing criticism of Ukraine and their actions (as well as NATO involvement).

Let's stop with this one.

1. NATO encroaching on Russia's border is Russia's own fault, as the former countries ruled by the USSR are afraid of Russia doing to them what Russia is doing to Ukraine. Countries have sovereignty and can choose their allies. Russia does not have a god given right to ruling those territories.

2. The Maidan uprising was the Ukranians deposing a Russian installed puppet that had no popular support and whose only purpose was to obey Russian rule. This is an incredibly silly point as again, Russia does not have a divine right to rule over Ukraine.

3. The Azov batallion has been overstated by Russian propaganda to pretend they were much, much bigger than they actually were. The problem with this narrative is that a government that is considering same sex marriage and elected a jewish ruler would some how also be a collection of Neo Nazis, who as part of their ideology are obsessed with sexual and racial purity.

It is not political laziness to state Russia's motivations behind this war and condemn condemnable actions. I don't know how you can characterise a government that murders political opponents, performs genocide and follows Nazi propaganda as anything else.

LOL. this is probably the dumbest take I've read about the Ukraine-Russo conflict to date. Americans will have to go fight the Russians in Europe? why the hell would I sign up to go fight a war for Eurotrash? I guarantee a conflict with Russia will be extremely unpopular here in the states.

You are in Nato you idiot, the american military has to engage. And judging by the polls, the Ukranian war has overwhelming bipartisan support. Nobody has said conscription would necessarily happen, and I doubt you'd be of any use during a war.

Last edited:
this is stupid lol. penalizing athletes and innocent people for things they didn't do. but then again, in war... there are no rules - so whatever. i love the Russian people - i've talked enough politics around the world with people to know that it's just all BS everywhere.

Mentat02

Banned
You are in Nato you idiot, the american military has to engage. And judging by the polls, the Ukranian war has overwhelming bipartisan support. Nobody has said conscription would necessarily happen, and I doubt you'd be of any use during a war.
Nato is alliance not a state you dipshit. article 5 is not law just a recommendation. bipartisan support means washington not all of America. conscription will need to happen, the current US Army combat arms makes up less than 10% of people in service. the marine corps even less combat troops.

I already served in the US Army Infantry from 2009-2012. I signed up with an 11X option 40 contract, which means I get to try out for Ranger battalion in the Ranger Indoctrination Program. now they changed RIP to RASP, Ranger Assessment and Selection Program. passed RIP and got stationed in Fort Benning with 3rd Ranger Battalion. did a 4 months deployment to Iraq in 2009 FOB Speicher with B Co 3-75. when I came back from deployment I had a foot injury doing an airborne night jump. got released from 3rd Battalion and went to Fort Campbell 3rd Brigade 101st Airborne. was with 2nd Battalion 187th Infantry. did a deployment to Afghanistan in 2010 and came back 2011. got out of the Army in 2012. I'd be much more use in a war against Russia than your average fat body American who probably couldn't run 5 miles in 30 minutes or less.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Let's stop with this one.

1. NATO encroaching on Russia's border is Russia's own fault, as the former countries ruled by the USSR are afraid of Russia doing to them what Russia is doing to Ukraine. Countries have sovereignty and can choose their allies. Russia does not have a god given right to ruling those territories.

2. The Maidan uprising was the Ukranians deposing a Russian installed puppet that had no popular support and whose only purpose was to obey Russian rule. This is an incredibly silly point as again, Russia does not have a divine right to rule over Ukraine.

3. The Azov batallion has been overstated by Russian propaganda to pretend they were much, much bigger than they actually were. The problem with this narrative is that a government that is considering same sex marriage and elected a jewish ruler would some how also be a collection of Neo Nazis, who as part of their ideology are obsessed with sexual and racial purity.

It is not political laziness to state Russia's motivations behind this war and condemn condemnable actions. I don't know how you can characterise a government that murders political opponents, performs genocide and follows Nazi propaganda as anything else.
All of these apply to elements of Ukraine society (past/present) and are still openly embraced in the name of Ukrainian nationalism. I'm not gonna generalize an entire country (Russia) as the cause of all the ills in Eastern Europe. Much like I'm not willing to generalize that Ukraine is entirely justified.

I go back to my original point that there have been political machinations at work for decades that have led to this. To blame it squarely on Russia is intellectual laziness and labeling people who read history different from you as "Russian puppets" really is laziness. You can do better than that.

Besides, it's hard for me to take Western propaganda serious when allies in Europe willingly made moves to rely on Russia for energy. That's just dumb.

I don't want to debate or attack you, you're clearly well read and seem to be invested in this. I don't want Ukraine to be wiped out, I want this war to end. I just don't buy into the narrative that Russia is the world's boogeyman. It's much more complicated than that and the stuff that I do know, it's probably 5% of all the elements past/present at work. I'm by no means an expert, just someone with a useless poli-sci/foreign policy degree and a military background who likes to read on politics and world events.

I was relatively close to becoming a diplomat (Foreign Service Officer) for the State Department but became disillusioned with many aspects of it. Sought out a different career in life.

That's my 2 cents. Cheers and prayers that this nonsense comes to an end sooner rather than later.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Nato is alliance not a state you dipshit. article 5 is not law just a recommendation. bipartisan support means washington not all of America. conscription will need to happen, the current US Army combat arms makes up less than 10% of people in service. the marine corps even less combat troops.

I already served in the US Army Infantry from 2009-2012. I signed up with an 11X option 40 contract, which means I get to try out for Ranger battalion in the Ranger Indoctrination Program. now they changed RIP to RASP, Ranger Assessment and Selection Program. passed RIP and got stationed in Fort Benning with 3rd Ranger Battalion. did a 4 months deployment to Iraq in 2009 FOB Speicher with B Co 3-75. when I came back from deployment I had a foot injury doing an airborne night jump. got released from 3rd Battalion and went to Fort Campbell 3rd Brigade 101st Airborne. was with 2nd Battalion 187th Infantry. did a deployment to Afghanistan in 2010 and came back 2011. got out of the Army in 2012. I'd be much more use in a war against Russia than your average fat body American who probably couldn't run 5 miles in 30 minutes or less.
Man, your background is almost identical to my brother's when he was in. He was in from like 2001-2003 and was discharged over a foot injury too.

I was an active duty Corpsman in the Navy for 8 years. You're spot on with infantry numbers, lots of people don't realize just how small the actual numbers are when it comes to tip of the spear type warriors.

Terenty

I've noticed a pattern here on Neogaf. Whenever someone says something not very positive about Zelensky he/she gets banned?

How so? I thought it was a free forum not Resetera?

fart town usa

Gold Member
I've noticed a pattern here on Neogaf. Whenever someone says something not very positive about Zelensky he/she gets banned?

I think it just depends on the the rhetoric the person uses. I've never been warned or banned but I also try to make my posts clear with what I'm trying to say and avoid name calling, attacking others, etc.

I think the mods here are fair. It's easy to get caught up in a heated discussion and sometimes you just need a forcible break from the board, lol.

My own ban coming in 3...2...1..... (lmao)

Freedom is an interesting concept, specially when this situation things ARE black or white. One country was invaded by another. It's that simple.
There's a clear victim here. There really isn't "what ifs" here.

Trying to attack the man that's leading Ukraine isn't about freedom. It's pure idiocy. People are banned for a lot less in any forum with morals.

Freedom is an interesting concept, specially when this situation things ARE black or white. One country was invaded by another. It's that simple.
There's a clear victim here. There really isn't "what ifs" here.

Trying to attack the man that's leading Ukraine isn't about freedom. It's pure idiocy. People are banned for a lot less in any forum with morals.
When you are banned for an opinion there is no debate. I agree with Mentat02 above for exemple. People are fed so little information these day, its logical some see it as black or white.

There was a limited war in this region for almost a decade, nobody knows this?

So this is was tipped the war in favour of the Ukraine...
Well played EA.
EQqt9wq.gif

Last edited:
The American empire does not have a god given right to rule Ukraine either.
So the solution is to install a puppet for the other side that bans the opposition, imprisons them and pushes for conflict. Makes sense....
Lol stop. The problems with Azov battalion was in no way overstated. You just don't like how is conflicts with your narrative.

Ukraine doesn't have a nazi problem but Russia does? You have no self awareness at all.

Ukraine are losing the war anyway. So all this loss of life has been for what? What was achieved other then avoidable bloodshed?

Both Putin and Zelensky are evil. You do not have morals if you support either. If this statement can get People banned then this place isn't much better then ResetEra tbh. It's just a pro war echo chamber

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Both Putin and Zelensky are evil. You do not have morals if you support either. If this statement can get People banned then this place isn't much better then ResetEra tbh. It's just a pro war echo chamber

I can't say that Zelensky is a saint, but putting him on the same level as Putin is very wrong.
How many countries has Zelesky invaded? How many political opponents did he poisoned? How many journalists did he kill or jailed? Hoe many crimes against humanity did he do?
Might I remind you that it was Putin who invaded the Ukraine. Not Zelesnky that invaded Russia.
Seems to me, you are trying to falsify the reality of the war, as to promote Russian propaganda.

I can't say that Zelensky is a saint, but putting him on the same level as Putin is very wrong.
How many countries has Zelesky invaded? How many political opponents did he poisoned? How many journalists did he kill or jailed? Hoe many crimes against humanity did he do?
Might I remind you that it was Putin who invaded the Ukraine. Not Zelesnky that invaded Russia.
Seems to me, you are trying to falsify the reality of the war, as to promote Russian propaganda.

I don't disagree with you on the first point. Putin is worse then Zalensky. But it is a fact that Russia was provoked into invading. Let's say Canada was a communist country that is cozy with Russia and Russia got weapons put on the border next to America. I can garuntee you America would not like that

And it is not Russian propaganda to disagree with the Western narrative

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
I don't disagree with you on the first point. Putin is worse then Zalensky. But it is a fact that Russia was provoked into invading. Let's say Canada was a communist country that is cozy with Russia and Russia got weapons put on the border next to America. I can garuntee you America would not like that

And it is not Russian propaganda to disagree with the Western narrative

No it wasn't. NATO was not invading the Ukraine. Neither was the EU. Nor the USA.
The Ukrainian people decided they wanted the prosperity and freedom that comes with having closer political and economic ties with the EU.
But this does not mean they would be a member of NATO. Several countries with close ties to the EU are neutral. Or were.
Since Russia invade the Ukraine, several neutral countries decided that joining NATO was the best way of protecting themselves against Russian aggression.
A good example is Finland. A country that was part of the Russian empire a century ago. Became independent after the 1917 revolution. And was invaded by Russia twice.
But still, they decided for several decades to remain neutral. Even during hottest moments of the cold war.

Also consider that Russia no longer is communist, so that concept of a cold war was not in place.
In fact, Russia and the EU were major business partners, with many billions going each way.
Russia was also invited to participate in most international political gatherings. Putin even visited the US several times.
Might I also remember that when the USSR fell, the USA gave economic assistance to Russia.
Russia could have gone the path of democracy and freedom, after the fall of the soviet union. But they elected a dictator. And continue to support him, despite all the crimes he has committed.

Also consider that the idea of Russia invading the Ukraine is not something new.
For many years Putin has been saying that the Ukraine is not a real country. A very similar dialectic to what Hitler said regarding Poland.

Roberts

It's not misguided to have a nuanced view. This conflict won't benefit the west. Its not up to the west to save you

For now I will ignore that my country was part of the west before Soviet Union occupied it and that we are part of the west now.

You can think what you want but the only way this ends well for the west is if Russia gets the fuck out of Ukraine and returns all the stolen territory back. Because any other outcome will only make west look weak and enable Putin to continue his big dream - restore the oh mighty Soviet Union to its former “glory”.

Edit: I will not continue with this conversation as I already broke forum rules.

Last edited:
No it wasn't. NATO was not invading the Ukraine. Neither was the EU. Nor the USA.
The Ukrainian people decided they wanted the prosperity and freedom that comes with having closer political and economic ties with the EU.
But this does not mean they would be a member of NATO. Several countries with close ties to the EU are neutral. Or were.
Since Russia invade the Ukraine, several neutral countries decided that joining NATO was the best way of protecting themselves against Russian aggression.
A good example is Finland. A country that was part of the Russian empire a century ago. Became independent after the 1917 revolution. And was invaded by Russia twice.
But still, they decided for several decades to remain neutral. Even during hottest moments of the cold war.

Also consider that Russia no longer is communist, so that concept of a cold war was not in place.
In fact, Russia and the EU were major business partners, with many billions going each way.
Russia was also invited to participate in most international political gatherings. Putin even visited the US several times.
Might I also remember that when the USSR fell, the USA gave economic assistance to Russia.
Russia could have gone the path of democracy and freedom, after the fall of the soviet union. But they elected a dictator. And continue to support him, despite all the crimes he has committed.

Also consider that the idea of Russia invading the Ukraine is not something new.
For many years Putin has been saying that the Ukraine is not a real country. A very similar dialectic to what Hitler said regarding Poland.

Why are you omitting most of the stuff that led up to the invasion?

For now I will ignore that my country was part of the west before Soviet Union occupied it and that we are part of the west now.

You can think what you want but the only way this ends well for the west is if Russia gets the fuck out of Ukraine and returns all the stolen territory back. Because any other outcome will only make west look weak and enable Putin to continue his big dream - restore the oh mighty Soviet Union to its former “glory”.

Oh it's fucked either way now. You all got what you wanted in the end. War that will end up weakening the west which may then escalate into a larger conflict which may end up overstretching the US military.

You know what may happen with the US military overstretched? China may take the opportunity to invade Taiwan, Turkey will take the opportunity to invade Greek Islands and the quality of life for people in the west will drop due to the cost of the war.

Well done, it was really worth cheering on this war wasn't it? *sarcasm*

BreakOut

Removing one terrorist nation is better than removing none.
I’m pretty sure it has to do with them not being able to give money to Russia, and in order to include that team they would have to pay. I don’t know that for a fact, I wanna make that clear, it just seems like they would have to pay to have someone’s team in the game and obviously that is not an option.

fart town usa

Gold Member
As someone who lives in an ex-soviet state and feels Russia's shadow looming over us pretty much every day, it saddens me to read so many misguided and uninformed takes about that despicable country and its actions in this thread.
I'm genuinely sorry to hear that. I hope and pray that your and your fellow countrymen and women stay safe.

I hope my previous comments in this thread didn't paint Ukraine as some kind of villain. if they came off that way, that wasn't my intention. I do stand by those comments but should have added that I place the bulk of blame with the sociopath leaders in charge of America's foreign policy. Based on what I've seen, we've managed to tap into the worst elements of Ukraine society and embolden a proxy war to the point where Ukraine is likely to lose an entire generation of people. The billions of dollars worth of arms flooding into the country and a lack of transparency as to where these arms actually are going, the whole thing is likely going to lead to paramilitary groups arming themselves via the black-market or directly through the the US government. Ukraine is gonna be another Cambodia/Vietnam in terms of death/destruction and who knows what kind of violence will bleed over into other parts of Europe because of all the arms being sent there. It's so fucking stupid. Not to mention the EU reliance on Russia's natural gas. The Western leaders of this world are seriously dumb beyond belief.

It's another neo-con war game and that's what annoys me the most.

FunkMiller

Fuck all Chinese people for their governments human rights violations too? fuck all people from muslim countries because of terrorist attacks? where do you draw the line?

Nice whataboutism. Russia is a fucking shit tip that’s going back to the dark ages, because it’s run by a goat fucking moron.

And while the depredations of other countries can, and often are pretty awful in our modern age… nothing quite comes close to what the scumbags from Russia have done to, and continue to do to, Ukraine. And every single Russian thing should be banned, boycotted and torn apart until the cunts leave Ukraine completely.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Punishment for the everyday Russian citizen. I guess we are expecting the populace to rise up and overthrow Putin, then install a pro-US government that walks lock-step with the West?

Oooooooooor.... Russians become bitter and grow to hate the US even more, then move into positions of power and fuel the cycle of discontent and hate. Maybe these new leaders will be even more effective at building alliances with countries like China and flip the world order.

Ristifer

EA needs to remove itself from the gaming industry
This is the correct answer. I don’t usually say this type of stuff, but they’re clearly virtue signalling. If they gave any shits about Ukraine at all, they would’ve banned Russian players from their games in 2014. Or they would’ve given a true fuck about it when Russia invaded Georgia.

Now, because the Ukrainian invasion is actual public knowledge (as people don’t actually educate themselves often enough), they feel the need to pat themselves on the back for their useless gestures. A company that financially abuses people on a regular basis.

EA is a shithead company and doesn’t deserve any kind of applause for this garbage.

Pretty sure I wrote something along these lines in another thread months back but;

The licensing fees associated with using the teams and players can’t legally be paid because of the sanctions. They don’t really have a choice in the matter. Whether they try to PR off it? meh.

But that aside this is the gaming forum and not a place to be going on and on about world politics for a game about hockey/football aka: soccer.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

And this is how you create an iron curtain 2.0. All you Russia haters., yeah i said it. Are making Putin stronger. What do you think average citizens will think? They will say fuck the west, and belive putin regime or belive the people that are hurting them day by day?

Same bs.
This could be done with, if peace talks were done instead of the war mongering.

Can you even understand how fucking pathetic this kind of talk sounds? You’re whining about people hating a country that has committed multiple ongoing acts of atrocity on an independent country. Rape, murder, paedophilia, wholesale destruction, execution, torture, theft, attempted genocide.

Sounds like war mongering to me.

Do any of you tanky cunts think for one moment your bullshit is not 100% see through?

winjer

Gold Member
European and American colonialism mindset has always supported collective punishment syndrome. Jews, Muslims and now russians are latest victims.

Get off your high horse with such hypocrisy.
Russia is getting sanctioned because they caused the biggest war in European ground, since WW2.
Thousands of people are getting killed every month because of this Russian invasion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom